Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Robins to have wings clipped at the County Ground by Super U's 17:57 - Dec 14 with 1924 viewsdurham_exile

JM takes his rejuvenated charges for a Friday evening visit to the County Ground Swindon for a League Two encounter in what is becoming a very closely fought competition for the top seven places.

As things stand the top two positions may already be taken, but the third automatic place is very much up for grabs along with the remaining four play-off places.
Colchester must be aiming for a top three finish.

Very sensibly the U’s have returned Kabamba to Pompey. He failed to score in 10 appearances and this is a wise move. I trust that another loan signing in January might be beneficial for him.

The injury to key defender Ryan Inniss has come at entirely the wrong time when JM was beginning to play a settled team, a luxury that has not presented itself for some considerable time. Moreover, the three-man defence is the major reason why the results have been more encouraging of late with a much stronger and resilient back line and with a plus 5 goal difference to boot.

JM seems keen to move Jackson back to play alongside Eastman and Kent because James is short of match practice (he would have been my choice). This would then suggest Kyel Reid would return on the wing.

After the euphoria of an anticipated Kurtis Guthrie return things have calmed down somewhat but he may well play a part in some of the forthcoming matches over Christmas when the squad really comes into its own.

Games against Port Vale at Home, Crawley and Chesterfield both Away, before the tasty derby match against Cambridge at the WHCS, will define our position in the top seven before the second week in January, when we will have 20 games remaining.

The top half of the league table is certainly tight as follows with GD separating a plethora of teams:

Luton 21 42
Notts County 21 42
Accrington 20 37
Exeter 21 36
Wycombe 21 33
Lincoln 21 33
Coventry 21 32
Swindon 20 32
Mansfield 21 32
COLCHESTER 21 32
Grimsby 21 32
Newport 21 31

Tomorrow’s game against David Flitcroft’s Robins is intriguing because their Home record matches our Away one and whilst this might point to the outcome resulting in a draw, I think that we must look to secure another Away win against one of our promotion rivals. More so because the next matches are all against teams lower in the table and where we can hope to pick up some more maximums.

Swindon Town will be missing their leading striker Luke Norris, but will still offer a stern test to JM’s U’s. Indeed, it is a real shame that the game is not being televised, because it should be entertaining fare. Instead the televised game is from Hillsborough, where Wednesday play table topping Wolves.

So, with JM looking to minimise changes a suggested team for Friday evening would look like this:

Walker

Eastman Jackson Kent

Vincent-Young Comley Lapslie Reid

Szmodics

Wright Mandron

Subs:

Gilmartin Kinsella Loft O’Sullivan Slater Guthrie Murray

It would be good for Slater, Guthrie and Murray to all get some minutes at the County Ground perhaps 20-30 second half.

In the meantime, we need Ryan Inniss to return ASAP.

Enjoy the game, safe journey for the travelling faithful and it will be very good to move up to 5th place, albeit for 24 hours!!!

Up the U’s

[Post edited 14 Dec 2017 18:24]

Durham_exile

Robins to have wings clipped at the County Ground by Super U's on 23:35 - Dec 15 with 733 viewsoxfcolu

An outstanding performance full of resilience and determination. Yes two lapses at set pieces allowed them to be in the game, but we were far the better side and the way Sammy took the third goal was shear class.
Robins to have wings clipped at the County Ground by Super U's on 00:06 - Dec 16 with 720 viewswessex_exile

Dismay, relief, joy, dejection, ecstasy - the emotional roller coaster that is being a U's fan!

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Robins to have wings clipped at the County Ground by Super U's (n/t) on 10:11 - Dec 16 with 687 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Robins to have wings clipped at the County Ground by Super U's (n/t) on 23:09 - Dec 15 by mfb_cufc

So good to win an away game coming from behind. Usually a draw is the best we can hope for when the opposition take the lead.
[Post edited 16 Dec 2017 1:11]

Cheeky little edit there MFB. I shared that incredible stat last night but remembered this game today: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/21724491

Is the stupidly long stat to do with trailing at half time away and going on to win?

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Robins to have wings clipped at the County Ground by Super U's (n/t) on 14:13 - Dec 16 with 667 viewsdurham_exile

Robins to have wings clipped at the County Ground by Super U's (n/t) on 10:11 - Dec 16 by RSCOSWORTH

Cheeky little edit there MFB. I shared that incredible stat last night but remembered this game today: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/21724491

Is the stupidly long stat to do with trailing at half time away and going on to win?

Notwithstanding the fact that Colchester were the better team, Frankie Kent's equaliser bang on halftime deflated the Robins and lifted the U's.

Very exciting times for the Super U's

Cannot wait for the next match, even with Santa just around the corner!!!

Durham_exile

Robins to have wings clipped at the County Ground by Super U's on 14:57 - Dec 16 with 660 viewsMoor_Pinot

cracking win wasn't it. I always hated going to the CG at Swinedon - so expensive. We lost our first 4 away, only the seemingly undeserved defeat at Meadow lane since. Much more like it!

Moor Pinot

Robins to have wings clipped at the County Ground by Super U's (n/t) on 21:14 - Dec 16 with 635 viewsnoah4x4

Robins to have wings clipped at the County Ground by Super U's (n/t) on 10:11 - Dec 16 by RSCOSWORTH

Still buzzing after last night. Well worth the long Friday night trip to witness that performance. Despite this being their fifth consecutive defeat and being (IMHO ridiculously) boo'ed off the pitch Swindon were not a poor side; the Robins didn't play badly and this could have produced any result. Three months ago we would have lost this one. But the fans are getting behind the team (even at 1-0) and the U's are simply growing in confidence with every game and took their few chances. That is what is different to September. Player confidence and vocal fan power.

I too will never forget the Bury game mentioned but for different reasons (albeit it was also an awesome win from behind). as it was the day I gave up smoking. But only after singing myself hoarse, not realising that I was actually suffering from a pretty severe dose of pneumonia. Now I can sing for longer, but sadly no better.... my apologies...
Robins to have wings clipped at the County Ground by Super U's (n/t) on 00:14 - Dec 17 with 612 viewsmfb_cufc

Sorry about that RS. Yes it was a cheeky edit, but it had to be done because I was totally wrong. A bit of a senior moment I think. It is quite rare for us to come from behind to win away, but it has happened a few times since the game I quoted. The Bury game you quote was one. The last time it happened was in the season we were relegated when we beat Bradford 2-1, in February 2016.

mfb

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024