Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Best films currently streaming on Netflix and Prime thread 09:44 - Mar 21 with 20809 viewsBlackCrowe

i like the old classics but mention your ' must sees' here.

I'll start - Midnight Cowboy on netflix.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Best films currently streaming on Netflix and Prime thread on 23:59 - Jan 26 with 2000 viewsdaveB

Another vote for Bank of Dave, watched it tonight and really enjoyed it
Best films currently streaming on Netflix and Prime thread on 07:21 - Jan 27 with 1892 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

I reluctantly agreed to my wifes request to watch The Handmaid's Tale on Amazon.
Absolutely brilliant show, just finished Series 5, and would highly recommend it. I thought it would be a 'chick' show, but far far from it. It can be an extremely difficult watch in parts due to the violence, but well worth sticking with.
Elizabeth Moss who was in Mad Men (another superb show, on Netflix now I think), is outstanding in it.

DO NOT watch if you have anxiety though, as your level will go through the roof.
Best films currently streaming on Netflix and Prime thread on 07:45 - Jan 27 with 1873 viewsdistortR

Best films currently streaming on Netflix and Prime thread on 22:44 - Jan 26 by PeterHucker

I've been to Hastings and I've been to Brighton. I've been to Eastbourne too.

So what?
Best films currently streaming on Netflix and Prime thread on 08:01 - Jan 27 with 1868 viewsdmm

It's not on Netflix or Amazon but you must see The Banshees of Innisherin if you get the chance. An outstanding film.
Best films currently streaming on Netflix and Prime thread on 09:59 - Jan 27 with 1817 viewsdaveB

Best films currently streaming on Netflix and Prime thread on 08:01 - Jan 27 by dmm

It's not on Netflix or Amazon but you must see The Banshees of Innisherin if you get the chance. An outstanding film.

Thats on DIsney+ at the moment
Best films currently streaming on Netflix and Prime thread on 10:34 - Jan 27 with 1770 viewshook_hoops

Best films currently streaming on Netflix and Prime thread on 19:33 - Jan 26 by stanistheman

Is this actually available on Netflix now, as I cannot find it on there?'

The Americans is on Disney +
Best films currently streaming on Netflix and Prime thread on 13:19 - Jan 27 with 1679 viewsstanistheman

Best films currently streaming on Netflix and Prime thread on 19:43 - Jan 26 by BazzaInTheLoft

Amazon Prime I think.

Thanks,I will check it out. I watched them when they were on Channel 4 or ITV., but would like to see again.
Best films currently streaming on Netflix and Prime thread on 13:23 - Jan 27 with 1672 viewsstanistheman

Best films currently streaming on Netflix and Prime thread on 10:34 - Jan 27 by hook_hoops

The Americans is on Disney +

Thanks. I don’t have Disney+ so will wait until I find a few other things on there to watch before taking it up for a month to binge watch.
Login to get fewer ads

Best films currently streaming on Netflix and Prime thread on 13:34 - Jan 27 with 1640 viewsMonkey_Roots

Django and Inglorious Bstards - both can be a bit OTT, but you should watch them for Christophe Waltz alone (Netflix)

The Royal Tennenbaums (Disney) - Wes Anderson film, starring Gene Hackman (nuff said)

Stand By Me (Netflix) — one of my favourites growing up.

Uncut Gems (Netflix) - Adam Sandler, but actually very good.

Whiplash (Netflix) - So F'kin good.
Best films currently streaming on Netflix and Prime thread on 14:31 - Jan 27 with 1589 viewshubble

Best films currently streaming on Netflix and Prime thread on 08:01 - Jan 27 by dmm

Strange one this; everyone seems to rate it, but I thought it was awful. Genuine Irish actors hamming up de auld oirish, with a strained humour and plenty of feck this and feck that and a little donkey with a ribbon round its neck.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Best films currently streaming on Netflix and Prime thread on 15:37 - Jan 27 with 1560 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Best films currently streaming on Netflix and Prime thread on 14:31 - Jan 27 by hubble

Strange one this; everyone seems to rate it, but I thought it was awful. Genuine Irish actors hamming up de auld oirish, with a strained humour and plenty of feck this and feck that and a little donkey with a ribbon round its neck.

I must add a few thoughts here being from Ireland origionally but gone a long time now.
The scenery and the acting was magnificent but the story line was horrible IMO.
Like most movies these days the person who should have died lived and the person who should have lived died .(The stick with the hook was a powerful image )
The animals actually added to my enjoyment but they even fuc*ed that up too .
I would be hard pressed to go above 5 out of 10
Tonight I am going to try and find An Cailin Ciuin its nominated for an Oscar also.
After watching that I may be close to the edge of that cliff myself so QPR better win tomorrow
Best films currently streaming on Netflix and Prime thread on 16:23 - Jan 27 with 1525 viewsMrSheen

Best films currently streaming on Netflix and Prime thread on 15:37 - Jan 27 by CLAREMAN1995

I must add a few thoughts here being from Ireland origionally but gone a long time now.
The scenery and the acting was magnificent but the story line was horrible IMO.
Like most movies these days the person who should have died lived and the person who should have lived died .(The stick with the hook was a powerful image )
The animals actually added to my enjoyment but they even fuc*ed that up too .
I would be hard pressed to go above 5 out of 10
Tonight I am going to try and find An Cailin Ciuin its nominated for an Oscar also.
After watching that I may be close to the edge of that cliff myself so QPR better win tomorrow

I really liked them both.

I’ve seen a lot of criticism of BoI from Irish and Irish-American writers for making them out to be violent buffoons, but I saw it as a universal absurdist fable that happened to be set in a fairy-tale-historical Ireland (which looks amazing, no-one works too hard but have meat and porter every night and great knitwear). I’ve seen plenty of films that would have made the man who refuses to go along with boring humdrum society as the individualist hero. In this one, it centred on the dull bore that he discarded, what that rejection meant to him and the horrible reaction that follows. It showed conformity to social norms crushing free spirits like the musician and the sister and giving cover to the bastard Dad, but also sustaining the less than mediocre and the strange, inadequate but innocent son, the best of a magnificent cast by the way.

Unlike the critics, I wasn’t offended by its Irish setting (I might have been when I was younger), I gave me a lot to chew over, and it both looked great and was extremely funny at time, as well as being grim and horrible at others. Quite the experience.
[Post edited 27 Jan 2023 16:25]
Best films currently streaming on Netflix and Prime thread on 16:47 - Jan 27 with 1485 viewsPhildo

Best films currently streaming on Netflix and Prime thread on 16:23 - Jan 27 by MrSheen

I’ve seen a lot of criticism of BoI from Irish and Irish-American writers for making them out to be violent buffoons, but I saw it as a universal absurdist fable that happened to be set in a fairy-tale-historical Ireland (which looks amazing, no-one works too hard but have meat and porter every night and great knitwear). I’ve seen plenty of films that would have made the man who refuses to go along with boring humdrum society as the individualist hero. In this one, it centred on the dull bore that he discarded, what that rejection meant to him and the horrible reaction that follows. It showed conformity to social norms crushing free spirits like the musician and the sister and giving cover to the bastard Dad, but also sustaining the less than mediocre and the strange, inadequate but innocent son, the best of a magnificent cast by the way.

Unlike the critics, I wasn’t offended by its Irish setting (I might have been when I was younger), I gave me a lot to chew over, and it both looked great and was extremely funny at time, as well as being grim and horrible at others. Quite the experience.

I have noticed it gets marmite reactions. I loved it. It is an allegory for the civil war I think with the two protagonists, formerly friends doing great harm to each other and not in the end achieving a great deal. The guy who plays the young lad in particular is fantastic and has an inspiring personal story I understand.

It may have been mentioned above but Everything Everywhere all at Once is also on prime and worth a watch.
Best films currently streaming on Netflix and Prime thread on 17:03 - Jan 27 with 1459 viewsflynnbo

Watched "Everything Everywhere All at Once" on Prime last night. Let's say I had to concentrate.
Best films currently streaming on Netflix and Prime thread on 17:55 - Jan 27 with 1413 viewsdmm

Best films currently streaming on Netflix and Prime thread on 16:23 - Jan 27 by MrSheen

Yep, I agree with a lot of that, Mr Sheen.

I was interested to read today that a lot of German film critics hate All Quiet on the Western Front, which surprised me. I understand their criticisms but for me, the film caught many of the essentials of the book, even though it strayed from its narrative. I think it would have been impossible for the film to have gone into the subtle details of the book anyway.

And it's a book very close to my heart having been utterly blown away by it as a young teenager - it remains one of the best books I've ever read.
Best films currently streaming on Netflix and Prime thread on 06:41 - Jan 28 with 1263 viewsDamo1962

Best films currently streaming on Netflix and Prime thread on 17:55 - Jan 27 by dmm

Yep, I agree with a lot of that, Mr Sheen.

I was interested to read today that a lot of German film critics hate All Quiet on the Western Front, which surprised me. I understand their criticisms but for me, the film caught many of the essentials of the book, even though it strayed from its narrative. I think it would have been impossible for the film to have gone into the subtle details of the book anyway.

And it's a book very close to my heart having been utterly blown away by it as a young teenager - it remains one of the best books I've ever read.

This is a harrowing, but superb film...and depiction of WW1. I am really interested in WW1, as it shaped the world of today so profoundly. It stayed with me for days. Hope it gets the Oscar. Watched another German film on BBC4 last night called Balloon...and it was very good indeed. I prefer World cinema TBH.
Best films currently streaming on Netflix and Prime thread on 08:05 - Jan 28 with 1231 viewsDamo1962

Not a film, but I've been watching the re-runs of "Some mother's do ave em" on Drama. It has aged really well....and made me laugh more than most stuff available now. Michael Crawford is inspired in the role of the hapless and hopeless Frank Spencer. Also noticed how good Michelle Dotrice was as the long-suffering Betty. There were some great situation comedies in the seventies...and I remember my dad loving this one.
Best films currently streaming on Netflix and Prime thread on 08:27 - Jan 28 with 1214 viewsdistortR

Best films currently streaming on Netflix and Prime thread on 14:31 - Jan 27 by hubble

So, it's basically the nativity, then?
Best films currently streaming on Netflix and Prime thread on 09:35 - Jan 28 with 1156 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I'm almost afraid to watch it, hubble. I think McDonagh's work can be hammy and forced, though "Three Billboards" was excellent.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Best films currently streaming on Netflix and Prime thread on 10:10 - Jan 28 with 1134 viewsSuperhoop83

I enjoyed the film but something didn't quite sit right and your post has nailed it. I also struggled with the plausibility of the main storyline, for what it's worth.

I'll be interested to read what Brian makes of it if he plucks up the courage to watch it...

Suffering since 1978.

Best films currently streaming on Netflix and Prime thread on 10:26 - Jan 28 with 1120 viewsMrSheen

Best films currently streaming on Netflix and Prime thread on 09:35 - Jan 28 by BrianMcCarthy

I'm almost afraid to watch it, hubble. I think McDonagh's work can be hammy and forced, though "Three Billboards" was excellent.

Funny that, I thought it was really patchy. Good performances but very dubious characterisation.

On reflection I didn’t much like it because I thought it had a cartoonish view of small-town American redneck racism which didn’t ring true. Yet I was not bothered by the Oirishness of Banshees, while others have the complete reverse view, content or convinced by/with the ridicule of America but offended on behalf of Ireland. The difference for me was one being apparently set in the present (but actually perhaps also in MacDonagh Absurdistan), the other in an invented past.
[Post edited 28 Jan 2023 10:57]
Best films currently streaming on Netflix and Prime thread on 12:01 - Jan 28 with 1077 viewsBklynRanger

Watched Stillwater over Xmas on Netflix and thought it was really good - Damon did a good job of looking uncomfortable in his skin. But that was Spanish Netflix so not sure if it's available here.

The Good Nurse also top drawer - same question about access though.
Best films currently streaming on Netflix and Prime thread on 12:37 - Jan 28 with 1047 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Best films currently streaming on Netflix and Prime thread on 10:26 - Jan 28 by MrSheen

Funny that, I thought it was really patchy. Good performances but very dubious characterisation.

On reflection I didn’t much like it because I thought it had a cartoonish view of small-town American redneck racism which didn’t ring true. Yet I was not bothered by the Oirishness of Banshees, while others have the complete reverse view, content or convinced by/with the ridicule of America but offended on behalf of Ireland. The difference for me was one being apparently set in the present (but actually perhaps also in MacDonagh Absurdistan), the other in an invented past.
[Post edited 28 Jan 2023 10:57]

Jesus MrSheen that is pretty deep but I know what you mean
The performances are excellent and having watched Colin Farrell play all kinds of roles (some pure rubbish ) this was one of his best IMO.
Too much competition for Best Picture I would say but he could easily win best actor
Why the sweet little donkey why
Best films currently streaming on Netflix and Prime thread on 17:43 - Jan 28 with 948 viewsdmm

Best films currently streaming on Netflix and Prime thread on 09:35 - Jan 28 by BrianMcCarthy

Did you see McDonagh's film, Calvary, Brian? Surely that could never be described as hammy. I thought it was superb.
Best films currently streaming on Netflix and Prime thread on 05:59 - Jan 29 with 828 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Best films currently streaming on Netflix and Prime thread on 17:43 - Jan 28 by dmm

Did you see McDonagh's film, Calvary, Brian? Surely that could never be described as hammy. I thought it was superb.

Yes, I really liked that one, dmm. Good call.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024