Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Best films currently streaming on Netflix and Prime thread 09:44 - Mar 21 with 20817 viewsBlackCrowe

i like the old classics but mention your ' must sees' here.

I'll start - Midnight Cowboy on netflix.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Best films currently streaming on Netflix and Prime thread on 21:29 - Jan 29 with 1812 viewsTomS

Best films currently streaming on Netflix and Prime thread on 23:59 - Jan 26 by daveB

Another vote for Bank of Dave, watched it tonight and really enjoyed it

I watched it last night and enjoyed it too. It's lightweight, and you are left with the feeling that you have seen that plotline before (The Blues Brothers etc), but it's heartwarming nonetheless.
[Post edited 29 Jan 2023 21:51]
Best films currently streaming on Netflix and Prime thread on 22:36 - Jan 30 with 1641 viewscharmr

Rogue heroes on bbc I player, absorbing and a great soundtrack
Best films currently streaming on Netflix and Prime thread on 23:59 - Jan 30 with 1568 viewsNewBee

Best films currently streaming on Netflix and Prime thread on 16:23 - Jan 27 by MrSheen

I really liked them both.

I’ve seen a lot of criticism of BoI from Irish and Irish-American writers for making them out to be violent buffoons, but I saw it as a universal absurdist fable that happened to be set in a fairy-tale-historical Ireland (which looks amazing, no-one works too hard but have meat and porter every night and great knitwear). I’ve seen plenty of films that would have made the man who refuses to go along with boring humdrum society as the individualist hero. In this one, it centred on the dull bore that he discarded, what that rejection meant to him and the horrible reaction that follows. It showed conformity to social norms crushing free spirits like the musician and the sister and giving cover to the bastard Dad, but also sustaining the less than mediocre and the strange, inadequate but innocent son, the best of a magnificent cast by the way.

Unlike the critics, I wasn’t offended by its Irish setting (I might have been when I was younger), I gave me a lot to chew over, and it both looked great and was extremely funny at time, as well as being grim and horrible at others. Quite the experience.
[Post edited 27 Jan 2023 16:25]

Thanks for that critique, since this Irishman enjoyed Banshees immensely, without really understanding it! While my English other half also enjoyed it, even if she hardly knows anything about the far West of Ireland or historical context eg the Civil War rumbling away in the background/Mainland.

And while I'm normally very picky about any such film which is not absolutely authentic (accents, locations, characterisations etc), such was the gripping narrative and fine acting, I was prepared to let that pass on this occasion, even the fact that people in that time and place were, as you say, MUCH more poverty-stricken than we saw in the film.

Meanwhile, I've not read through the whole thread, so I don't know whther anyone has mentioned Kenneth Branagh's "Belfast" - anyhow, we both found it wonderfully entertaining, even with Judy Dench's god-awful accent!
Best films currently streaming on Netflix and Prime thread on 01:57 - Jan 31 with 1532 viewslightwaterhoop

Best films currently streaming on Netflix and Prime thread on 23:59 - Jan 30 by NewBee

Thanks for that critique, since this Irishman enjoyed Banshees immensely, without really understanding it! While my English other half also enjoyed it, even if she hardly knows anything about the far West of Ireland or historical context eg the Civil War rumbling away in the background/Mainland.

And while I'm normally very picky about any such film which is not absolutely authentic (accents, locations, characterisations etc), such was the gripping narrative and fine acting, I was prepared to let that pass on this occasion, even the fact that people in that time and place were, as you say, MUCH more poverty-stricken than we saw in the film.

Meanwhile, I've not read through the whole thread, so I don't know whther anyone has mentioned Kenneth Branagh's "Belfast" - anyhow, we both found it wonderfully entertaining, even with Judy Dench's god-awful accent!

Belfast was about the least authentic film ive ever seen.I dont even think it tried to be authentic.No swearing,drinking or smoking.The boys Mother walking through the streets of working class Belfast dressed like a Carnaby Street model.The boys hero was Danny Blanchflower who was well retired by then and not George Best who was at his peak.The boys Father who worked on a building site in London but came home every weekend.The film even made Judy Dench look bad you are right about that.
Best films currently streaming on Netflix and Prime thread on 06:36 - Jan 31 with 1492 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Not sure if anyone has mentioned 'The Boys ' on Prime. Great for all parents that had to sit through another God awful Marvel superhero film with their kids.
Its stars Keith Urban, and is the anti-marvel TV show. 3 series so far, 4th coming out.
Best films currently streaming on Netflix and Prime thread on 08:02 - Jan 31 with 1449 viewsdistortR

Best films currently streaming on Netflix and Prime thread on 06:36 - Jan 31 by Wilkinswatercarrier

Not sure if anyone has mentioned 'The Boys ' on Prime. Great for all parents that had to sit through another God awful Marvel superhero film with their kids.
Its stars Keith Urban, and is the anti-marvel TV show. 3 series so far, 4th coming out.

this. All day long.
Best films currently streaming on Netflix and Prime thread on 09:34 - Jan 31 with 1365 viewshubble

Best films currently streaming on Netflix and Prime thread on 06:36 - Jan 31 by Wilkinswatercarrier

The Boys is absolutely superb - the blackest of black comedy, with a biting satirical edge to it. But.... it's not a film, is it? I'm pretty sure it gets a mention in the TV thread on here.

As for films, does anyone else just give up after 2 or 5 or 10 or even 20 minutes? For me it's one of the great bonuses of the mass availablity of movies on streaming platforms; if I can't be arsed, I just move on to something else. However, that also epitomises just how much crap there is out there. Last night I started watching this badly scripted, pretentious guff masquerading as a kind of arty thriller called The Postcard Killings. I actually stuck with it for nearly an hour before I gave up. And this was after I had endured approximately 120 seconds of Shotgun Wedding. When you know, you know.

One of my favourite genres is the Western, and there are loads of them out there, good, bad and ugly. A couple of recommendations: Bone Tomahawk, thought it was superb, a Western with a supernatural twist. I also really enjoyed The Homesman with Tommy Lee Jones and Hilary Swank.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Best films currently streaming on Netflix and Prime thread on 10:17 - Jan 31 with 1307 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I’m currently watching Big Stan on Netflix.

A sophisticated and touching prison novella centred around modern manhood and the trials and tribulations of the modern justice system in America

It was a Palm D’Or runner up.
[Post edited 31 Jan 2023 12:38]
Login to get fewer ads

Best films currently streaming on Netflix and Prime thread on 11:28 - Jan 31 with 1258 viewsMrSheen

Best films currently streaming on Netflix and Prime thread on 23:59 - Jan 30 by NewBee

I normally have the same reaction. I spent the first half hour of 1917 tutting about how improbable it was, then relaxed into enjoying (if that’s the word) the spectacle. It was like Homer’s Odyssey, a series of spectacular adventures, how a child would remember his grandfather’s tales years later. I haven’t seen Belfast, but I imagine it might be how someone remembered their childhood, rather than an adult recalling how tough things actually were then. No excuse for the accents though!
Best films currently streaming on Netflix and Prime thread on 09:12 - Jul 10 with 913 viewsBluce_Ree

There's a sequel out to it now so I decided to watch Extraction which is a Chris Hemsworth action thing. It was surprisingly brilliant. Absolutely amazing stunts/action and the camera trickery was really impressive.

Looking forward to watching the second one now.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Best films currently streaming on Netflix and Prime thread on 09:43 - Jul 10 with 852 viewsHAYESBOY

Best films currently streaming on Netflix and Prime thread on 09:12 - Jul 10 by Bluce_Ree

There's a sequel out to it now so I decided to watch Extraction which is a Chris Hemsworth action thing. It was surprisingly brilliant. Absolutely amazing stunts/action and the camera trickery was really impressive.

Looking forward to watching the second one now.

The second one is much better IMO and also better than the last two John Wick films. The director is an ex stunt man.

Smells like a trout farm in here

Best films currently streaming on Netflix and Prime thread on 09:59 - Jul 10 with 816 viewsdmm

'Living' with Bill Nighy the lead actor is very good.
Best films currently streaming on Netflix and Prime thread on 10:44 - Jul 10 with 741 viewsBlackCrowe

Nobody film on Netflix - proper old school vigelante nonsense (akin to Death Wish) - loved it.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Best films currently streaming on Netflix and Prime thread on 11:16 - Jul 10 with 725 viewsTacticalR

Best films currently streaming on Netflix and Prime thread on 09:59 - Jul 10 by dmm

'Living' with Bill Nighy the lead actor is very good.

I haven't seen the new version yet, but I really recommend the Japanese original: Ikiru (1952), directed by Akira Kurosawa.

Air hostess clique

Best films currently streaming on Netflix and Prime thread on 11:24 - Jul 10 with 707 viewsAntti_Heinola

Best films currently streaming on Netflix and Prime thread on 10:44 - Jul 10 by BlackCrowe

Nobody film on Netflix - proper old school vigelante nonsense (akin to Death Wish) - loved it.

Bit of fun innit? Key here is that everyone who is making it knows what it is, and they all know that without Odenkirk about 90% fewer people would watch it; and so, everyone has a lot of fun and it comes out beautifully on screen. Great Sunday night viewing.

Bare bones.

Best films currently streaming on Netflix and Prime thread on 12:19 - Jul 10 with 632 viewsBluce_Ree

Best films currently streaming on Netflix and Prime thread on 09:43 - Jul 10 by HAYESBOY

The second one is much better IMO and also better than the last two John Wick films. The director is an ex stunt man.

Good to know.

TBH I didn't get on with John Wick 1 and 2. Certainly not interested in seeing 4 knowing how long it is.

Another upvote for Nobody here. Loved that film.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024