Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
World Cup Players 11:44 - Aug 27 with 2379 viewsDaniel

With Tommy Smith being an international player that's played at a World Cup, it got me thinking whether any other U's players (past & present) have represented their country at a World Cup.

I can think of two - one that played post-U's and another that played pre-U's. Anyone care to guess/know more?
World Cup Players on 16:31 - Aug 27 with 828 viewsDaniel

Kaspars Gorkšs and Mike Masters are at both ends of the U's capped players. Gorkšs is the most capped with 89 appearances for Latvia (who have never qualified for a World Cup). Masters made a single sub appearance for the United States national soccer team in 1992.
World Cup Players on 16:36 - Aug 27 with 825 viewsDaniel

World Cup Players on 16:16 - Aug 27 by Fruitbat

Got it! (At least I think I have) Ian Stewart.

YES

Ian Stewart played for Northern Ireland in the 1986 World Cup. He made 3 appearances (1 start, 2 subs) in that tournament and made 31 appearances overall.

Bongani Khumalo
Ian Stewart
Mark Kinsella
Richard Garcia
Teddy Sheringham
Tommy Smith

But, there's still one more player I can think of.
World Cup Players on 19:40 - Aug 27 with 788 viewsnoah4x4

Latvian International, but I don't think he played in a World Cup tournament, only in qualifiers.
World Cup Players on 20:49 - Aug 27 with 778 viewsTheOldOakTree

World Cup Players on 16:36 - Aug 27 by Daniel

YES

Ian Stewart played for Northern Ireland in the 1986 World Cup. He made 3 appearances (1 start, 2 subs) in that tournament and made 31 appearances overall.

Bongani Khumalo
Ian Stewart
Mark Kinsella
Richard Garcia
Teddy Sheringham
Tommy Smith

But, there's still one more player I can think of.

Hello all.

Has anyone said Efe Sodje played on loan for the U's and for Nigeria in the world cup against England?
World Cup Players on 21:27 - Aug 27 with 762 viewsDaniel

World Cup Players on 20:49 - Aug 27 by TheOldOakTree

Hello all.

Has anyone said Efe Sodje played on loan for the U's and for Nigeria in the world cup against England?

You've got it TOOT, he was the obsure one I was thinking of. Played for Nigeria in the 2002 World Cup.

Joined us on free transfer from Luton on deadline day March 2000. It's often misreported as a loan, but the story was Luton got rid of him after he was late back from the African Nations Cup and we signed him til the end of the season.

For a while he was our most capped player. I think he played 5 games while a U's player and 2 of them were for Nigeria!

This post has been edited by an administrator
World Cup Players on 21:52 - Aug 27 with 754 viewsDaniel

The final list (unless anyone thinks up another player)

Pre-U's career
Ian Stewart (Northern Ireland) - 3 appearances (1 start, 2 subs), 1986 Mexico
Teddy Sheringham (England) - 6 appearances, 1998 France (2 starts), 2002 Japan/South Korea (4 sub)
Bongani Khumalo (South Africa) - 3 appearances (3 starts), 1 goal, 2010 South Africa
Tommy Smith (New Zealand) - 3 appearances (3 starts), 2010 South Africa

Post-U's career
Mark Kinsella (Republic of Ireland) - 4 appearances (4 starts), 2002 Japan/South Korea
Efe Sodje (Nigeria) - 2 appearances (2 starts), 2002 Japan/South Korea
Richard Garcia (Australia) - 2 appearances (1 start, 1 sub), 2010 South Africa
World Cup Players on 07:11 - Aug 28 with 732 viewsTheOldOakTree

I think Ray Crawford also played for England, many years before his heroics at Layer Road, (but not at a World Cup).

Would that make him our first international player?
World Cup Players on 11:35 - Aug 28 with 710 viewswessex_exile

World Cup Players on 07:11 - Aug 28 by TheOldOakTree

I think Ray Crawford also played for England, many years before his heroics at Layer Road, (but not at a World Cup).

Would that make him our first international player?

Graeson's excellent website ( https://www.coludata.co.uk/) has a list of past and present Col U players who have also played in internationals, and there's a chap Alex Wood on there who appeared four times for USA back in 1930, three of which were in the 1930 World Cup Final.

He played for the U's in the Southern League season 1937/38 ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Wood_(soccer)), so I reckon he has to be one of our first internationals, and another one for Daniel's list.

Also inducted into the US National Soccer Hall of Fame in 1986.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Login to get fewer ads

World Cup Players on 14:07 - Aug 28 with 700 viewsDaniel

Great spot Wessex! I find it quite fascinating that so many players have played for the U's and also played at a World Cup, especially this chap who played in the first ever World Cup before Colchester United even existed.

I've found worldfootball.net a useful resource for player career stats
World Cup Players on 14:16 - Aug 28 with 698 viewsDaniel

Pre-U's career
Alexander Wood (USA) - 3 appearances (3 starts), 1930 Uruguay
Ian Stewart (Northern Ireland) - 3 appearances (1 start, 2 subs), 1986 Mexico
Teddy Sheringham (England) - 6 appearances, 1998 France (2 starts), 2002 Japan/South Korea (4 sub)
Bongani Khumalo (South Africa) - 3 appearances (3 starts), 1 goal, 2010 South Africa
Tommy Smith (New Zealand) - 3 appearances (3 starts), 2010 South Africa

Post-U's career
Mark Kinsella (Republic of Ireland) - 4 appearances (4 starts), 2002 Japan/South Korea
Efe Sodje (Nigeria) - 2 appearances (2 starts), 2002 Japan/South Korea
Richard Garcia (Australia) - 2 appearances (1 start, 1 sub), 2010 South Africa
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024