Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dykes 10:13 - Nov 5 with 27443 viewsBuckR

How are we rating our new No.9 so far then? Lack of goals so far but have to say I love his work up top. So does that out weigh the dry spell?
Dykes on 13:18 - Nov 5 with 2591 viewsTonto

Dykes on 11:11 - Nov 5 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Another Washington

what utter, utter sh!te.

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Dykes on 14:04 - Nov 5 with 2486 viewslondonscottish

I loved watching his performances for Scotland. Looking forward to seeing him do this in a Rangers shirt. Goal is at 1.04

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Dykes on 14:06 - Nov 5 with 2484 viewsrobith

Dykes on 12:54 - Nov 5 by danehoop

And we say that about Washington, but he is now doing really well for Charlton. Could be that step up was too much for him and he is genuinely just a League 1 Striker, or we didn't play to his strengths, coach him the right way or that his confidence was shot. Probably the truth is somewhere between all of them.

I think the difference is now that there is a clear plan with Dykes, coaching staff are much more focused on bringing the best out of players within Warball's preferred style of play. I feel much more confident that he is going to be a real asset for us as he settles down and gets back to full fitness than I did with Washington. Equally I think having a credible Plan B in Bonne takes the pressure off somewhat.

He probably didn't quite have the skills to cope at Championship level, but we didn't give him much of a chance to develop them up front on his own having the ball punted at him
Dykes on 15:37 - Nov 5 with 2397 viewsParkRoyalR

Dykes on 14:06 - Nov 5 by robith

He probably didn't quite have the skills to cope at Championship level, but we didn't give him much of a chance to develop them up front on his own having the ball punted at him

100% Washington did'nt have the skills to play in the Championship - he did'nt have the pace (over 5 or 15+ yards), the technique, the aerial presence, ability to beat his man or finish (as confirmed to me very early on from another players family member based on initial weeks on training ground when they realised he was a poor finisher and not what they at least thought they had bought - a finisher). Washington was a modern day Stuart Wardley (who I actually liked).

Many fans gave him the full 90 games and are still looking for positives, fair play, but Dykes plays less than 10 games, has played too many games in a short period of time, still runs back to his goal over 50 yards for the team, and some draw comparisons with Washington.
Dykes on 18:04 - Nov 5 with 2279 viewsfrancisbowles

Dykes on 15:37 - Nov 5 by ParkRoyalR

100% Washington did'nt have the skills to play in the Championship - he did'nt have the pace (over 5 or 15+ yards), the technique, the aerial presence, ability to beat his man or finish (as confirmed to me very early on from another players family member based on initial weeks on training ground when they realised he was a poor finisher and not what they at least thought they had bought - a finisher). Washington was a modern day Stuart Wardley (who I actually liked).

Many fans gave him the full 90 games and are still looking for positives, fair play, but Dykes plays less than 10 games, has played too many games in a short period of time, still runs back to his goal over 50 yards for the team, and some draw comparisons with Washington.

Unfortunately, Washington never got going and started missing more and more chances and his confidence nosedived. Scored three in his last two for Charlton, they even trusted him with a penalty. If they get promoted will he do better in the Champ next season?

With regard to Hugill and Wells, some people seem to only remember their better play and goals. Hugill missed several sitters and Wells had some really poor games, selfish moments and was a serial penalty misser.

Dykes a work in progress as he adapts to the increased demands of the Championship and international football.
Dykes on 18:06 - Nov 5 with 2275 viewsNov77

Dykes on 12:20 - Nov 5 by LowerloftLad

well currently this is how the goal stats stand

hugill 1 in 10

bonne 2 in 7
dykes 2 in 8
[Post edited 5 Nov 2020 12:22]

He’s scored 2 penalties, and to be frank he’s rarely looked like scoring from open play.

Early days, but unimpressed so far.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Dykes on 18:15 - Nov 5 with 2255 viewsLazyFan

He also has an assist for Balls wonder strike.

I could not make it out at first but after watching it a few times the Cardiff defender heads it off his shoulder to Ball so, this counts as an assist however accidental.

Should have scored against Derby, but jumped too early and then could not get the power on it. Our tactics before Derby did not suit him now with two wingers he looks more dangerous.

He needs a run with two wingers and Chair in and around him, then I think you will see the goals come.

zzzzzzzzzz

Dykes on 18:16 - Nov 5 with 2252 viewsgazza1

The jury is out on Dykes.....I have not seen him do much.

He should have scored at Derby - he didn't, he should have scored the two penalties and he did.
Login to get fewer ads

Dykes on 18:16 - Nov 5 with 2245 viewsBoston

I like his ‘threat’ to the oppo. Works hard, no problem tracking back but, he is paid to score, if not, then to at least assist, so my juries still out.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Dykes on 18:20 - Nov 5 with 2241 viewsdenhamhoop2

Like his work rate and the fact he always wants the ball. Looks a bit raw at the minute but there is some talent there not sure he will ever be prolific kind of reminds me a bit of The Italian Stallion Danny Dichio
Dykes on 18:26 - Nov 5 with 2217 viewsrsonist

Dykes on 10:29 - Nov 5 by danehoop

Overplayed by Scotland and the knocks took their toll. He is now working his way back to fitness/form, as he also learns to step up to the much more physically demanding week in week out Championship football schedule.

Think he will be fine as he continues to work with the coaches and starts translating that potential in weaker leagues into some consistent form for us. Will take time though, and we perhaps expect too much too soon from what is largely a brand new team this year. Patience is a rare thing amongst some of our fan base though.

Think that Warball's is looking to slowly work him back up to full fitness and share the load between him and Bonne. That looks to be the right way to help them both develop.

Think we'll have to be patient with him a while longer. He's got 5 days rest after the Blackburn game, then 7 games in 19 days for club and country to get to next month. Obviously he's not the only one it'll apply to but he's doing okay so far all things considered.
Dykes on 18:27 - Nov 5 with 2213 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Dykes on 18:16 - Nov 5 by Boston

I like his ‘threat’ to the oppo. Works hard, no problem tracking back but, he is paid to score, if not, then to at least assist, so my juries still out.

He’s done both.

I genuinely don’t understand why he’s being questioned.
Dykes on 18:28 - Nov 5 with 2207 viewsgazza1

We need to give the lad a chance, for sure.......I have no issues with his work rate and his attitude appears to be good......but I do expect a bit more.
Dykes on 18:31 - Nov 5 with 2202 viewsgazza1

Dykes on 18:27 - Nov 5 by BazzaInTheLoft

He’s done both.

I genuinely don’t understand why he’s being questioned.

He has done very little thus far ...... he has tucked away 2 penalties and i would expect to score them as well.
[Post edited 5 Nov 2020 18:32]
Dykes on 19:09 - Nov 5 with 2136 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Dykes on 18:31 - Nov 5 by gazza1

He has done very little thus far ...... he has tucked away 2 penalties and i would expect to score them as well.
[Post edited 5 Nov 2020 18:32]

At this current rate, he is scoring (penalties or otherwise) 1 goal every 3.5 games and arguably 1 assist. I can’t wait to see him score more from open play, but that’s football.

2 goals and 1 assist for a team that has only scored 10 goals isn’t terrible.

What’s the alternative? All very well and good criticising but Alfa is the only other solution. I don’t think it wise possibly wasting 8 games seeing if he’ll be as productive.
[Post edited 5 Nov 2020 19:11]
Dykes on 21:21 - Nov 5 with 2013 viewsPhilmyRs

Dykes on 19:09 - Nov 5 by BazzaInTheLoft

At this current rate, he is scoring (penalties or otherwise) 1 goal every 3.5 games and arguably 1 assist. I can’t wait to see him score more from open play, but that’s football.

2 goals and 1 assist for a team that has only scored 10 goals isn’t terrible.

What’s the alternative? All very well and good criticising but Alfa is the only other solution. I don’t think it wise possibly wasting 8 games seeing if he’ll be as productive.
[Post edited 5 Nov 2020 19:11]

Just because the alternatives aren’t very good doesn’t mean you don’t have the right to criticise a player. I think the views have been quite balanced and fair. Nobody can fault his effort or work rate, I think he will improve and will be a decent player for us. That said, I want a bit more from him both in terms of link up play and goals. Definite potential.
Dykes on 22:46 - Nov 5 with 1954 viewskarl

I think the intensity and schedule of games is taking the edge off him slightly, not quite as good as he was in first couple of games would be fair assessment?
However coming from Queen of the South and Livingston where you do basically play one game a week and then odd breaks when they're out of the cup or internationals to suddenly playing every game for Scotland and then the relentless 2 games a week in the Championship.
A lot of you think the difference between Scotland leagues and English Championship is crap footballers v great footballers, my opinion is its physicality and the ability to stand up to the rigours of the Championship, he's doing fine but it is definitely a hard shift as he doesn't try and pace himself.
If I'm right the only cure you would think will be a rest so will he get that, he's suspended for the middle Scotland game but otherwise I think he'll get to start both the other games, unless we blow away Slovakia without him I suppose?
I think he's good enough and will improve, I think what will help him physically is to get a partnership working up front to lessen the load, he was excellent with Stephen Dobbie at QoS, Ryan Fraser and him were working well recently. Chair suits those player types perfectly but if MW can coach him and Bonne to work it could be best solution
Dykes on 22:57 - Nov 5 with 1936 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Dykes on 21:21 - Nov 5 by PhilmyRs

Just because the alternatives aren’t very good doesn’t mean you don’t have the right to criticise a player. I think the views have been quite balanced and fair. Nobody can fault his effort or work rate, I think he will improve and will be a decent player for us. That said, I want a bit more from him both in terms of link up play and goals. Definite potential.

Yeah of course, criticise away as is your right.

Just don't think its justified as he's been ok, and I think if you are expecting more than a 1 goal in 3 striker who links up play like Didier Drogba (or even Jordan Hugill) you will probably always be disappointed on our budget.

I fully expect him to do better, but I think he's played 10 games in a month including Scotland or something so he might be a bit jaded.

Criticism hasn't been over the top (except for someone calling him Connor Washington of course), but last week people were calling for Warburton and Les to go so it's a slippery slope on this forum. I'd say book mark this thread and see how you feel in January.
[Post edited 5 Nov 2020 23:00]
Dykes on 23:06 - Nov 5 with 1916 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Dykes on 22:46 - Nov 5 by karl

I think the intensity and schedule of games is taking the edge off him slightly, not quite as good as he was in first couple of games would be fair assessment?
However coming from Queen of the South and Livingston where you do basically play one game a week and then odd breaks when they're out of the cup or internationals to suddenly playing every game for Scotland and then the relentless 2 games a week in the Championship.
A lot of you think the difference between Scotland leagues and English Championship is crap footballers v great footballers, my opinion is its physicality and the ability to stand up to the rigours of the Championship, he's doing fine but it is definitely a hard shift as he doesn't try and pace himself.
If I'm right the only cure you would think will be a rest so will he get that, he's suspended for the middle Scotland game but otherwise I think he'll get to start both the other games, unless we blow away Slovakia without him I suppose?
I think he's good enough and will improve, I think what will help him physically is to get a partnership working up front to lessen the load, he was excellent with Stephen Dobbie at QoS, Ryan Fraser and him were working well recently. Chair suits those player types perfectly but if MW can coach him and Bonne to work it could be best solution

I agree with the vast majority of that, Karl. Wise comments.

I'm not hoping for a front two. Both players have played better on their own, and the bigger problem is that we would need two excellent centre-mids if we played two up top. With the greatest of respect to our centre mids I'm not sure they'd cope as most teams play three in midfield.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Dykes on 23:21 - Nov 5 with 1902 viewskarl

Dykes on 23:06 - Nov 5 by BrianMcCarthy

I agree with the vast majority of that, Karl. Wise comments.

I'm not hoping for a front two. Both players have played better on their own, and the bigger problem is that we would need two excellent centre-mids if we played two up top. With the greatest of respect to our centre mids I'm not sure they'd cope as most teams play three in midfield.

Yes, I think you're right Brian, maybe the shared workload will be reduced minutes on the pitch replacing each other?
I have said a couple of times that supporting players coming from deep would suit how he's played before and recently for Scotland.
Will be interesting to watch the development ahead, there's a whole team being pieced together and most on long contracts, really hope we're in a good run of results and it gives everyone a cool head to let it gel
Dykes on 23:47 - Nov 5 with 1875 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Dykes on 23:21 - Nov 5 by karl

Yes, I think you're right Brian, maybe the shared workload will be reduced minutes on the pitch replacing each other?
I have said a couple of times that supporting players coming from deep would suit how he's played before and recently for Scotland.
Will be interesting to watch the development ahead, there's a whole team being pieced together and most on long contracts, really hope we're in a good run of results and it gives everyone a cool head to let it gel

Good points. Agreed.

I can't help thinking that Hugill and Wells improved during their stay with us and I think Dykes and Bonne will too. I believe that the forwards get quite a bit of one-on-one coaching including sometimes from Ferdinand himself.

Ferdinand, of course, was raw as hell when he landed with us. I used to watch training and reserve games and you could see him improve month on month, putting into games what he was learning in training. Of course, Ferdinand was stitching training onto an extraordinary talent, but there's no reason why all of our strikers can't improve at the same rate even if they never reach the same heights.

One drill that Ferdinand used to do with the coaches was simple - dummy run to shake the contact, attack the ball, lay it off, spin and turn and then either get it over the top or two passes later from the wings - crucially facing the goal.

At the moment what I'm seeing is Dykes getting the ball with a man on his back so being bumped while trying to lay off which makes the contact unclean. Also he's not yet spinning to break the line and get us in behind with an OTT pass or a wing pass.

It'll come.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Dykes on 00:56 - Nov 6 with 1834 viewsLythamR

I like him, i like his attitude and work rate, he had lousy service, its improving now and I think the goals will come, he was inches away from a good goal at Derby, he did the right thing, heading it back across the goal, it was on target and away from the keeper heading in, Goalie made a decent save, it happens, 6 inches to the right and it goes in.

He has the ability to arrive at the right time and stick it in the net, hes done it at international level and he will do it for us. and the joy of watching his improvement is that he is our player and not a loanee who could disappear without trace like wells and Hughil.

Have to say I really like Bonne as well
Dykes on 05:32 - Nov 6 with 1790 viewsVancouverHoop

Sometimes it's being flexible enough to adapt to different systems. Washington never could for us, but at the same time he was doing fine for NI. Karl would know better, I've only seen a couple of games Dykes has played for Scotland and he's done well running fast and hard on to balls played in front of him. We haven't given him those, mostly he's had crosses into the box that he hasn't got under. Maybe that's him just getting used to the pace and style of our game, maybe – unlike Washington – he'll adapt. I hope so, but as of right now it hasn't happened.
Dykes on 07:13 - Nov 6 with 1738 viewsGloucs_R

Dykes on 05:32 - Nov 6 by VancouverHoop

Sometimes it's being flexible enough to adapt to different systems. Washington never could for us, but at the same time he was doing fine for NI. Karl would know better, I've only seen a couple of games Dykes has played for Scotland and he's done well running fast and hard on to balls played in front of him. We haven't given him those, mostly he's had crosses into the box that he hasn't got under. Maybe that's him just getting used to the pace and style of our game, maybe – unlike Washington – he'll adapt. I hope so, but as of right now it hasn't happened.

Zamora scored 12 in 83
Heiðar Helguson scored 24 in 68

Both were far more mature players when they came here.

Dykes is not going to be a 1 in 2 striker. He needs to work harder in two areas... Getting into the 6 yard box for crosses and holding up / bringing others into play.

Early days. Happy enough with what I've seen so far.

Is Bonne I'm more concerned about.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Dykes on 08:14 - Nov 6 with 1691 viewsgazza1

Dykes on 22:57 - Nov 5 by BazzaInTheLoft

Yeah of course, criticise away as is your right.

Just don't think its justified as he's been ok, and I think if you are expecting more than a 1 goal in 3 striker who links up play like Didier Drogba (or even Jordan Hugill) you will probably always be disappointed on our budget.

I fully expect him to do better, but I think he's played 10 games in a month including Scotland or something so he might be a bit jaded.

Criticism hasn't been over the top (except for someone calling him Connor Washington of course), but last week people were calling for Warburton and Les to go so it's a slippery slope on this forum. I'd say book mark this thread and see how you feel in January.
[Post edited 5 Nov 2020 23:00]

Your expectations are very low.......he has played below average. Work rate and attitude are 'givens' as far as i am concerned - 100% every match, all the time.

He needs to be playing a lot better and scoring goals in open play before January!!
[Post edited 6 Nov 2020 8:16]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024