Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dykes 10:13 - Nov 5 with 27529 viewsBuckR

How are we rating our new No.9 so far then? Lack of goals so far but have to say I love his work up top. So does that out weigh the dry spell?
Dykes on 13:51 - Nov 6 with 2874 viewsSpaghetti_Hoops

Dykes on 13:32 - Nov 6 by gazza1

Dunno!! Missed a sitter at Derby.
[Post edited 6 Nov 2020 13:33]

Did everything right as far as I am concerned. You don't miss when the goalie pulls off a very good save.
Dykes on 13:54 - Nov 6 with 2860 viewsgazza1

How many runs has he been making the runs to get in the position to score?? How lively has he been in the 18 yard box?? How many assists has he been involved with?? Easy to ask questions!!

IMHO he has scored two penalties - tough to see what other stuff he has been doing apart from effort and as I said that should be a 'given'.

Surely, you are expecting more from him even though its early doors for him at Rangers....as I said my expectations are a lot higher than yours.
Dykes on 13:56 - Nov 6 with 2858 viewsgazza1

Dykes on 13:51 - Nov 6 by Spaghetti_Hoops

Did everything right as far as I am concerned. You don't miss when the goalie pulls off a very good save.

The keeper should not have got anywhere near it....Look at Norf's match report - he describes it better than me!!
Dykes on 13:57 - Nov 6 with 2848 viewsSpaghetti_Hoops

Dykes on 09:39 - Nov 6 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Only 17 down votes... I must be slipping

Strange when so many say, too early to tell, give him some time, not getting the service.

Same was said about Washington.

We'll see.

Only those in denial were saying that about Washington. It took him 23 league matches to score for us in the Championship. Long before that it was obvious he wouldn't cut it in this division.
Dykes on 13:58 - Nov 6 with 2836 viewsgazza1

Anyway, I have put my points over.....I have nothing more to say on the subject apart from I hope he gets a hat-trick at Blackburn and we win 3-0 (even if he starts on the bench!!)

PS - Washington has nothing to do with it.
[Post edited 6 Nov 2020 14:00]
Dykes on 14:07 - Nov 6 with 2804 viewsnix

Dykes on 13:13 - Nov 6 by timcocking

Hmmm, so far he's looked game, but yet to show too much ability wise really. Early days, of course, but i'd call it a slow start. Albeit it's still a developing team, plenty of mitigating factors we could go into. I don't think anybody could argue he's looked better than Jordan Hugil thus far.

Ideally, at this level, we're looking for somebody as close as possible to Heidar Helguson. Not as of yet. Again, ideally, you're looking for your centre forward to have more shots than haircuts. At least that issue should be resolved for a while.

Cheering him on and the jury is still out. Matt Smith to beat, or it's an ultimately unsuccessful signing.

Kane and Hamalainen both played really well as far as i could see.
[Post edited 6 Nov 2020 13:19]

Did anyone really think he'd be better than Jordan, or even as good as him, though, given Jordan's got more experience, and is more expensive both in transfer fee and wages? Incidentally, he had his best season ever for us last season and the previous season only scored six in 37.

And Helguson only scored five in 20 in his first season for us. So if Lyndon gets close to ten this season, given his age and potential for development I think that would be a success, especially as he adds to the team generally in physicality and being a handful.
Dykes on 14:20 - Nov 6 with 2783 viewsW7Ranger

Dykes on 13:54 - Nov 6 by gazza1

How many runs has he been making the runs to get in the position to score?? How lively has he been in the 18 yard box?? How many assists has he been involved with?? Easy to ask questions!!

IMHO he has scored two penalties - tough to see what other stuff he has been doing apart from effort and as I said that should be a 'given'.

Surely, you are expecting more from him even though its early doors for him at Rangers....as I said my expectations are a lot higher than yours.

You're the one who's expecting more, but you're basing that on goals scored and one "sitter" missed. As for the other parts of his game that you refer to, if you're expecting more from him, what is it he's not doing than you expect him to be doing? You must've watched him relatively closely to know what you expect from him which is why he's not reaching your expectations, otherwise what are you basing it on?

Off the top of my head apart from the 2 pens, he won the penalty he converted against Forest. He assisted Ball's goal. He cleverly assisted Adomah's opportunity v Cardiff that Adomah really should've scored from - that was more of a "sitter" than Dykes header v Derby imo. He had one header just wide v Cardiff.

As has been said before, he's scored twice for Scotland (from open play) recently, as well as assisting another.

He also adds a bit of height in defensive situations, which we can all agree is much improved this season (so far anyway!).

From the games that I've seen, I've not seen many glaringly missed opportunities from him that makes me think he needs 5 chances per game to get 1 goal, simply because we haven't created anywhere near the same amount of opportunities as we did last year.
Dykes on 14:22 - Nov 6 with 2780 viewsSpaghetti_Hoops

Dykes on 13:56 - Nov 6 by gazza1

The keeper should not have got anywhere near it....Look at Norf's match report - he describes it better than me!!

Norf's a good professional. He knows his audience. For this forum it's colourful language rather than accuracy.

When the commentator screams 'should of scored' the average chance of scoring was probably less than 1 in 5. Quite often it's less than 5%.

Infogol made Dykes chance 27%. That is how often players actually score from that sort of chance.
Login to get fewer ads

Dykes on 15:22 - Nov 6 with 2706 views2Thomas2Bowles

Dykes on 13:56 - Nov 6 by gazza1

Yeah it was a poor header, he did not attack the ball, no power in it, his head was going backwards, the keeper made it look a good save.

Long tall Smith would have buried that.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Dykes on 15:24 - Nov 6 with 2719 viewskarl

Strange when so many say, too early to tell, give him some time, not getting the service.

We'll see.

Just for a bit of context and connecting something said about Connor elsewhere.
He scored three goals for Hearts last season, 1 was a pen, 1 was from a rebound of a (his) saved penalty and the other a goal in open play.
From the games i saw he was exactly the same as his QPR play, hard working and honest but just lacked the quality required for the league.
The fact he is doing very well in Lge 1 again does show his level and that Dykes didnt struggle in the SPL he can manage the step into Championship, he has the physicality as well as the ability and i'm sure its the endurance part he's feeling the strain of since he's banging in a hard shift for Scotland when he's been used to having those internationals as a break.
Up front for Scotland he has been a great addition and added hugely to the team and out performing Premier league Ollie MacBurnie for one
Dykes on 15:49 - Nov 6 with 2670 viewsMatch82

We'll see.

Same was said about washington - yes, let's give him time and see if the goals come. They didn't. That doesn't mean giving him extra time wasn't the right decision or that exactly the same thing will happen with Dykes.

If the only players we kept were the ones who started on fire we'd have shipped off BOS a long time ago and Agyemang would still be playing up front for us.
Dykes on 21:12 - Nov 6 with 2557 viewsMalintabuk

Dykes on 13:58 - Nov 6 by gazza1

Anyway, I have put my points over.....I have nothing more to say on the subject apart from I hope he gets a hat-trick at Blackburn and we win 3-0 (even if he starts on the bench!!)

PS - Washington has nothing to do with it.
[Post edited 6 Nov 2020 14:00]

I hope he does get an hat trick and proves a lot of us wrong
But as I said for me he doesn't look like a natural goal scorer
He is not busting a gut to get onto crosses... don't think we've seen him turn a defender and to be honest his first touch is not great
I hope it is a case of him bedding in and adapting to.playing at a higher level and for that I think we need to give him a chance
And also as said on the match thread he should have scored a natural striker would have buried it
Dykes on 22:10 - Nov 6 with 2519 viewsterryb

I would say that he has played far better for us & had more impact than Moore has for Cardiff.
Dykes on 22:21 - Nov 6 with 2506 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

He’s joint too scorer by the way. I appreciate this is ridiculous to say after 8 games, but so is criticising him for not scoring.
Dykes on 22:50 - Nov 6 with 2469 viewsMyke

As the Dykes discussion seems to have been distilled down from a general view on his overall contribution, to whether he should have scored against Derby and as I have already commented on the former, I thought I would add my view on the latter.
I have already said in the match thread player ratings that he should have scored, but I would like to elaborate a little on that.
When the ball was directed towards Dykes, it was 'floated' in. Therefore, he had two options; he could generate enough power with his head to force the ball past the keeper, similar to Godden's against us. However, Godden was virtually standing on the goal-line and once he directed the ball downwards and on target, he had done all he could to score. Dykes was further out and generating enough power on a lofted ball to beat a keeper from distance, is a difficult skill.
His second option was to guide the ball into the corner of the goal, to make it impossible for Marshall to reach.
My own view is that he got slightly caught in two minds and tried to do both and while he got a good deal of power into the header he failed to direct it sufficiently out of the keepers reach.
Couple of final points (A) he didn't fail to hit the target, so he didn't 'miss a sitter' It was still an excellent save, if Dieng made it we would be singing his praises all week
(B) He showed great movement and positional awareness (two crucial elements for a striker) to get the chance in the first place.
So, overall, I think he is doing well, working hard, creating space and chances for others and getting on the end some crosses. He will benefit from a match fit(ter) Adomah, a settled BOS, (or maybe Willock) and getting Championship experience. It could be next season before we see the best of him. I take heart from his former Livingston's boss, Holt's comments when Dykes was leaving, that he (Dykes) is always willing to learn and improve.
Like with most aspects of being a QPR fan, patience is required.
Dykes on 23:15 - Nov 6 with 2434 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Dykes on 22:50 - Nov 6 by Myke

As the Dykes discussion seems to have been distilled down from a general view on his overall contribution, to whether he should have scored against Derby and as I have already commented on the former, I thought I would add my view on the latter.
I have already said in the match thread player ratings that he should have scored, but I would like to elaborate a little on that.
When the ball was directed towards Dykes, it was 'floated' in. Therefore, he had two options; he could generate enough power with his head to force the ball past the keeper, similar to Godden's against us. However, Godden was virtually standing on the goal-line and once he directed the ball downwards and on target, he had done all he could to score. Dykes was further out and generating enough power on a lofted ball to beat a keeper from distance, is a difficult skill.
His second option was to guide the ball into the corner of the goal, to make it impossible for Marshall to reach.
My own view is that he got slightly caught in two minds and tried to do both and while he got a good deal of power into the header he failed to direct it sufficiently out of the keepers reach.
Couple of final points (A) he didn't fail to hit the target, so he didn't 'miss a sitter' It was still an excellent save, if Dieng made it we would be singing his praises all week
(B) He showed great movement and positional awareness (two crucial elements for a striker) to get the chance in the first place.
So, overall, I think he is doing well, working hard, creating space and chances for others and getting on the end some crosses. He will benefit from a match fit(ter) Adomah, a settled BOS, (or maybe Willock) and getting Championship experience. It could be next season before we see the best of him. I take heart from his former Livingston's boss, Holt's comments when Dykes was leaving, that he (Dykes) is always willing to learn and improve.
Like with most aspects of being a QPR fan, patience is required.

7 out of 10 times that header goes in but the ball bounces up enough to give Marshall half a chance to make the save.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Dykes on 23:29 - Nov 6 with 2421 viewsPhilmyRs

I think all of us want him to succeed. I think most people are in the “has done well, goals will come” category but there’s also two other camps - 1 like myself that have seen enough in his game to tell there’s potential and can see him being a success but he needs to improve parts of his game and performance levels over the next few weeks in order to justify selection and then there’s probably a very small number that feel they’ve seen enough and he won’t make it. Very unfair to judge him as a success or failure yet but I’d like to see him impose himself a bit more, be a bit more aggressive/dirty in some of his challenges - something Hugill was a master at - and start to show a bit more belief around the penalty area. I’m confident it will come but if he maintains the same level of performance for the rest of the season...no, I wouldn’t be satisfied but I don’t think that will be the case.
Dykes on 09:47 - Nov 7 with 2304 viewsNorthantsHoop

Hoping he can get off the mark from open play soon, tends to be off the centre of the action in the box, drifting a little wide. Think he is still adjusting to Championship football. With Bonne, he has started well, took both those late headed goals brilliantly against Shef Wed and Derby.
Dykes on 14:01 - Nov 7 with 2194 viewsSK_hoops

He certainly knows how to take a penalty.
Dykes on 14:57 - Nov 7 with 2146 viewskarl

Dykes on 14:01 - Nov 7 by SK_hoops

He certainly knows how to take a penalty.

Its a pity we can't play ourselves then
Dykes on 00:49 - Nov 13 with 2000 viewskarl

Great again tonight for Scotland.
Anyone with any doubts about him need to watch the first 80 minutes of Scotland v Serbia, afterwards the questions will be not so much about is he good enough for QPR but how do we get that level of performance from him?
He didn't turn into Ronaldo or Messi but he won most aerial duels, linked play well and set up 2 scoring chances for team mates.
Didnt look fatigued or off the pace, was (obviously) relieved to see him playing so well after a couple of indifferent games, supply and and support has been talked of plenty so food for thought for the naysayers!
[Post edited 13 Nov 2020 0:51]
Dykes on 05:43 - Nov 13 with 1861 viewsnix

Dykes on 00:49 - Nov 13 by karl

Anyone with any doubts about him need to watch the first 80 minutes of Scotland v Serbia, afterwards the questions will be not so much about is he good enough for QPR but how do we get that level of performance from him?
He didn't turn into Ronaldo or Messi but he won most aerial duels, linked play well and set up 2 scoring chances for team mates.
Didnt look fatigued or off the pace, was (obviously) relieved to see him playing so well after a couple of indifferent games, supply and and support has been talked of plenty so food for thought for the naysayers!

The difference is in my view that he had more space to run into and balls to make a run for. We've been moving the ball too slowly in my view which means that our penalty area is very crowded by the time it reaches him. There's no spaces to run into and there's several players there marking him from a standing start, so much easier to block him off.

I'd like to see the defenders having to run back towards their goal. It's something that other teams do to us much more than we do to them. I don't mean hoofing the ball from the back necessarily but moving it faster through midfield to put some pressure on their back line. Defenders hate running back to their own penalty area.
Dykes on 06:06 - Nov 13 with 1835 viewstimcocking

Good to hear. Perhaps it is more a question of us utilising him better?

Lest we not forget, it's still remarkably early days in terms of experience for the player and the team, certainly not sufficient sample size to be certain of anything.

When judging QPR strikers, it's always wise to remember Paul Furlong, who looked like he was past it and couldn't hit a barn door for quite a while before starting to tear it up. Or look at Les of course. As opposed to, shall we say, hat-trick Patrick Agyemang. Was it 8 goals in his first four matches for somebody with approximately our aggregate standard of ball control?
[Post edited 13 Nov 2020 6:10]
Dykes on 08:36 - Nov 13 with 1634 viewsEastR

Dykes singled out for special praise this morning on Radio 5 live.

'the QPR striker ( nice to hear that on the national broadcaster) has been the difference in Scotland's upturn in fortunes and qualification.'

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

Dykes on 09:08 - Nov 13 with 1568 viewshook_hoops

Dykes on 05:43 - Nov 13 by nix

The difference is in my view that he had more space to run into and balls to make a run for. We've been moving the ball too slowly in my view which means that our penalty area is very crowded by the time it reaches him. There's no spaces to run into and there's several players there marking him from a standing start, so much easier to block him off.

I'd like to see the defenders having to run back towards their goal. It's something that other teams do to us much more than we do to them. I don't mean hoofing the ball from the back necessarily but moving it faster through midfield to put some pressure on their back line. Defenders hate running back to their own penalty area.

I entirely agree with this Nix. I watched the Scotland game last night and Dykes was superb. He ran into the channels and Scotland got the ball to him quickly and he had the physicality to hold the ball up well and wait for support. It was textbook for the lone striker role. At QPR we don't get the ball to him as quickly. Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating route one football, but sometimes a quicker ball forward from midfield works wonders and would play to Dykes' strengths.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024