Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
3 out of the next four weeks have no midweek match 16:36 - Dec 21 with 4565 viewsswisscottage

I'm going to put myself on the line here and state that by the time we play Wycombe on the 16th of January we will be seeing much improved performances.

I think this team seriously needs time on the training pitch that they've been desperately short of over the previous couple of months and I think the next four weeks will give Warburton enough time to make some positive inroads into some of the deficiencies we are all seeing.

This is of course if our esteemed leader give him that time.

3 out of the next four weeks have no midweek match on 16:49 - Dec 21 with 3942 viewscolinallcars

I'm inclined to agree.
3 out of the next four weeks have no midweek match on 17:26 - Dec 21 with 3890 viewsstevenagehoop

Forever hopeful Justin - hope you’re well.

I never lie but I don't always tell the truth

3 out of the next four weeks have no midweek match on 17:27 - Dec 21 with 3882 viewsswisscottage

3 out of the next four weeks have no midweek match on 17:26 - Dec 21 by stevenagehoop

Forever hopeful Justin - hope you’re well.

Mostly, thanks Bob, we all have our crosses to bear :). How are you and Chris?
3 out of the next four weeks have no midweek match on 17:33 - Dec 21 with 3846 viewsNed_Kennedys

I'm pretty sure McClaren used the 'no time for training' excuse before we had a decent break between games in 2019. He then lost pathetically at home to Rotherham and Bolton....
3 out of the next four weeks have no midweek match on 17:37 - Dec 21 with 3843 viewsNorthernr

3 out of the next four weeks have no midweek match on 17:33 - Dec 21 by Ned_Kennedys

I'm pretty sure McClaren used the 'no time for training' excuse before we had a decent break between games in 2019. He then lost pathetically at home to Rotherham and Bolton....

And was rightly sacked. If Warburton were to use this time to gear us up for a home loss to Wycombe, then he's not got much of a leg to stand on. I would like to see him given that time at least.

Warburton is also currently doing the McClaren thing of playing the same players, give or take, in every game. Using the sports science excuse only when it suits him to justify taking people like Chair off, while picking Geoff Cameron twice a week every week. Only Cardiff have used fewer players.

This post has been edited by an administrator
3 out of the next four weeks have no midweek match on 17:51 - Dec 21 with 3778 viewsstevec

No midweek games, how beautiful is that?

Tier 4’s bad enough without being put through 3 games a week.
3 out of the next four weeks have no midweek match on 17:59 - Dec 21 with 3769 viewsBrianMcCarthy

3 out of the next four weeks have no midweek match on 17:51 - Dec 21 by stevec

No midweek games, how beautiful is that?

Tier 4’s bad enough without being put through 3 games a week.

Not aimed at you, Steve, but that's another phrase that managers love to use - "three games a week".

It's two games a week - Saturday and Tuesday. If it was three games a week we'd be playing six times in a fortnight.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

3 out of the next four weeks have no midweek match on 00:49 - Dec 22 with 3531 viewstimcocking

We look like a team who has never played together at the moment.
Login to get fewer ads

3 out of the next four weeks have no midweek match on 01:05 - Dec 22 with 3541 viewsozexile

3 out of the next four weeks have no midweek match on 00:49 - Dec 22 by timcocking

We look like a team who has never played together at the moment.

Yep whereas other teams with the same hectic schedule are coping fine.
3 out of the next four weeks have no midweek match on 09:33 - Dec 22 with 3350 viewsswisscottage

3 out of the next four weeks have no midweek match on 01:05 - Dec 22 by ozexile

Yep whereas other teams with the same hectic schedule are coping fine.

It's not just about the hectic schedule. Its hectic schedule married to a significant percentage of the team having never played together before this season.

Willock
Uncle Albert
Bonne
Dykes
Thomas

You honestly think any team trying to bed in players with very little experience(except Adomah) at this level of football, whilst not having any time to coach them between matches, is going to do any better.

Players don't magically start getting better because they play. Its a mixture of playing and then working on things between games.

Its probably the main reason we just seem to get worse each game, primarily because the players have very little opportunity to work on the gaps, that the end up becoming more and more selfish rather than trying to work out what the other player is going to do.

Players similar to dogs, learn by repetition. That is done in training.

If you don't have an opportunity to learn in training, then you end up learning on the pitch in championship football, which is a very hard task master, and which will beat the majority of inexperienced players into mulch.

Its no surprise the top three in the league are also three sides bedding in very few new players.
3 out of the next four weeks have no midweek match on 10:33 - Dec 22 with 3293 viewsTheChef

3 out of the next four weeks have no midweek match on 09:33 - Dec 22 by swisscottage

It's not just about the hectic schedule. Its hectic schedule married to a significant percentage of the team having never played together before this season.

Willock
Uncle Albert
Bonne
Dykes
Thomas

You honestly think any team trying to bed in players with very little experience(except Adomah) at this level of football, whilst not having any time to coach them between matches, is going to do any better.

Players don't magically start getting better because they play. Its a mixture of playing and then working on things between games.

Its probably the main reason we just seem to get worse each game, primarily because the players have very little opportunity to work on the gaps, that the end up becoming more and more selfish rather than trying to work out what the other player is going to do.

If you don't have an opportunity to learn in training, then you end up learning on the pitch in championship football, which is a very hard task master, and which will beat the majority of inexperienced players into mulch.

Its no surprise the top three in the league are also three sides bedding in very few new players.

Agreed on all that, and much as Warbs' in game management still leaves him open to criticism, let's hope the time on the training ground will help the players.

Like you say let's see where we are in next three or four weeks. As I've mentioned before we're still 19th and we're not in the bottom three, so I think the manager has earned the time to fix the problems we're experiencing.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

3 out of the next four weeks have no midweek match on 10:36 - Dec 22 with 3292 viewsdaveB

should be pointed out that everyone else also has more time on the training pitch so they should all improve as well
3 out of the next four weeks have no midweek match on 11:54 - Dec 22 with 3188 viewsTheChef

3 out of the next four weeks have no midweek match on 10:36 - Dec 22 by daveB

should be pointed out that everyone else also has more time on the training pitch so they should all improve as well

But Dave, maybe we'll improve more than them!

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

3 out of the next four weeks have no midweek match on 12:05 - Dec 22 with 3179 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

3 out of the next four weeks have no midweek match on 10:36 - Dec 22 by daveB

Maybe but then other teams seem to cope with fixture congestion better than us.

I was thinking the same thing as the OP actually I reckon we might see an improvement starting on Boxing Day.

Am I clutching at straws?

Poll: Expectations for this season?

3 out of the next four weeks have no midweek match on 12:46 - Dec 22 with 3141 viewsPinnerPaul

3 out of the next four weeks have no midweek match on 09:33 - Dec 22 by swisscottage

Willock
Uncle Albert
Bonne
Dykes
Thomas

The top 3 sides include two with largely PL squads - surely has more to do with it!
3 out of the next four weeks have no midweek match on 13:19 - Dec 22 with 3105 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Willock
Uncle Albert
Bonne
Dykes
Thomas

Some very good points, Swiss.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

3 out of the next four weeks have no midweek match on 13:44 - Dec 22 with 3067 viewsswisscottage

3 out of the next four weeks have no midweek match on 12:46 - Dec 22 by PinnerPaul

The top 3 sides include two with largely PL squads - surely has more to do with it!

Ok, then look at the next 5. Brentford, Watford, Middlesbrough, Stoke, and Reading.

How many of those are playing with 3, 4 or 5 players in the midfield and forward line that haven't played together on a consistent basis. ?

They aren't.
3 out of the next four weeks have no midweek match on 15:25 - Dec 22 with 3000 viewsstevenagehoop

3 out of the next four weeks have no midweek match on 17:27 - Dec 21 by swisscottage

Mostly, thanks Bob, we all have our crosses to bear :). How are you and Chris?

Ok at moment thanks. Chris has been living in Tingley near Wakefield and Leeds for the last year - not impressed with current performances unsurprisingly.

I never lie but I don't always tell the truth

3 out of the next four weeks have no midweek match on 16:02 - Dec 22 with 2916 viewsPinnerPaul

3 out of the next four weeks have no midweek match on 13:44 - Dec 22 by swisscottage

Ok, then look at the next 5. Brentford, Watford, Middlesbrough, Stoke, and Reading.

How many of those are playing with 3, 4 or 5 players in the midfield and forward line that haven't played together on a consistent basis. ?

They aren't.

Watford are the 3rd PL squad in this league and my internet tells me the others have all signed 8/9 players this season.
3 out of the next four weeks have no midweek match on 16:27 - Dec 22 with 2885 viewsswisscottage

3 out of the next four weeks have no midweek match on 16:02 - Dec 22 by PinnerPaul

Watford are the 3rd PL squad in this league and my internet tells me the others have all signed 8/9 players this season.

Then I suggest you look Deeper.

Brentford .. 9 out of their top 14 players on minutes played this season where there last season with only Toney and Jansen regular starters of those that weren't

Reading only 3 players out of the top 15 players by starts were not there last season.
Laurent(20 starts), Semedo(11 starts)), Estevez(8starts)
3 out of the next four weeks have no midweek match on 16:33 - Dec 22 with 2873 viewsqprd

3 out of the next four weeks have no midweek match on 17:37 - Dec 21 by Northernr

And was rightly sacked. If Warburton were to use this time to gear us up for a home loss to Wycombe, then he's not got much of a leg to stand on. I would like to see him given that time at least.

Warburton is also currently doing the McClaren thing of playing the same players, give or take, in every game. Using the sports science excuse only when it suits him to justify taking people like Chair off, while picking Geoff Cameron twice a week every week. Only Cardiff have used fewer players.

This post has been edited by an administrator

to be fair to warburton, we have literally nothing on the bench. its not easy to protect a 1-0 lead when your only defensive option on the bench is masterson, who really can only play centreback

i think warburton is absolutely HORRENDOUS at making subs, but i thought he was pretty hamstrung in terms of what he couldve done agaisnt wycombe

he couldnt take off cameron or ball b/c he needed their physicality/screening of the back 4 on the long balls. dykes had to stay on for his hold up play, physicality and ability in defending set pieces. the back 4 had to stay untouched for obvious reasons... carroll and chair had to stay on for their ball retention skills, and chair also for his general fighting spirit

the only sub i wouldve wanted warbs to have made was to take off bright... i struggle to understand why he continues to play bright for 90 mins while he mails in half as*ed performances that will ultimately cost him his job

tactically, you dont need bright, who is more of a counterattacking player, against a team who didnt provide us much opportunities to counter... his defensive indifference was on display for everyone to see

i wouldve been happy if warbs made no changes, other than perhaps adomah for bright...

you have a hungry, professional, experienced player in adomah sitting on the bench who has over 500 EFL appearances and multiple promotions under his belt... and yet you dont use his experience to try to kill a must win match? instead, you play BOS who hasnt given a sh*t since lockdown and he predictably burnt us by jogging back on wycombes goal....
[Post edited 22 Dec 2020 16:35]
3 out of the next four weeks have no midweek match on 22:46 - Dec 22 with 2734 viewsMyke

Willock
Uncle Albert
Bonne
Dykes
Thomas

And you only listed the new signings. Your point is even more valid when you add in the players who were here but hadn't played much or at all, like Dieng, Kakay and Niko for example
3 out of the next four weeks have no midweek match on 00:50 - Dec 23 with 2657 viewsdavman

3 out of the next four weeks have no midweek match on 15:25 - Dec 22 by stevenagehoop

Ok at moment thanks. Chris has been living in Tingley near Wakefield and Leeds for the last year - not impressed with current performances unsurprisingly.

Chris makes me look like a "Happy Clapper" to be fair...

Still, Bob, I hear that you'll be able to see Steve Palmer "in action" on University Challenge over Xmas; I know just how much you loved him...

We are crap at the moment, but we've been worse and had plenty of worse managers than Warburton with more resources relative to other teams in the division. I fear that Warburton has been afflicted by the same condition in the Transfer Market that Ray Wilkins had - although Warburton has had to replace four or five first teamers at the same time as opposed to the one big one Ray had to replace.
We are a League One club in terms of revenue these days and that's where we'll be heading over the next few seasons unless the owners want to do what everyone else is doing and stick two fingers up to FFP or we get new, dumb owners in who want to waste some more gambling to get a piece of the pie.
I suspect we'll have to get used to that pretty soon too...

Good to hear that you are all doing OK (Bob, Justin and Chris) - we will all have to meet up with Varc, Andy and the lesser spotted Gripper at some point when this all clears up! Let's hope that there is a pub left for us to get to...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

3 out of the next four weeks have no midweek match on 11:34 - Dec 23 with 2527 viewsPinnerPaul

3 out of the next four weeks have no midweek match on 16:27 - Dec 22 by swisscottage

Then I suggest you look Deeper.

Brentford .. 9 out of their top 14 players on minutes played this season where there last season with only Toney and Jansen regular starters of those that weren't

Reading only 3 players out of the top 15 players by starts were not there last season.
Laurent(20 starts), Semedo(11 starts)), Estevez(8starts)

I feel it might just be them having much much better players.

Still, hope I'm wrong and you're right and a couple of days at Harlington is going to sort it all out, but, sadly I doubt it.
3 out of the next four weeks have no midweek match on 12:25 - Dec 23 with 2489 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Willock
Uncle Albert
Bonne
Dykes
Thomas

If lack of game time is a key factor in the team's current poor showing then the manager and board deserve criticism for not recruiting players with enough experience.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024