Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Any Wheel of Time fans here? 11:22 - Nov 19 with 2066 viewsswisscottage

Read the books throughout my lifetime from a young adult to middle age, then listened to the audio-books( all 500 hours worth) two years ago.

Its by far my favourite fantasy books series, and second only to the Patrick O'Brien's Aubrey and Maturin Books as my favourites books overall.

Made the mistake of re-listening to the first book before watching the first three episodes this morning.

Still haven't decided how I feel about it.
Any Wheel of Time fans here? on 14:26 - Nov 19 with 1976 viewsMetallica_Hoop

They were great when I was at school but then I read 'Game of thrones' in 1996 and 'Gardens of the Moon' by Steven Erikson in 1999 and all others just don't cut it after reading/re-reading those.

For me anyway.

Is the series any cop?

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Any Wheel of Time fans here? on 14:31 - Nov 19 with 1977 viewsrobith

Glad they made a TV show cos between A Song of Ice and Fire, Malazan Book of the Fallen and The First Law series, ain't no way I'm ever reading those books
Any Wheel of Time fans here? on 14:36 - Nov 19 with 1971 viewsdanehoop

Any Wheel of Time fans here? on 14:26 - Nov 19 by Metallica_Hoop

They were great when I was at school but then I read 'Game of thrones' in 1996 and 'Gardens of the Moon' by Steven Erikson in 1999 and all others just don't cut it after reading/re-reading those.

For me anyway.

Is the series any cop?

Must confess that I started to lose interest after about book 10 as it felt to be like lots of filler, too many plots within plots. May try again now the TV series is out, hoping it has the quality of the Witcher (which surprised me how it was well aligned with the books).

Never liked the Game of Thrones books, not sure why, perhaps never really warmed to the characters much.

Never knowingly understood

Any Wheel of Time fans here? on 14:46 - Nov 19 with 1962 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Any Wheel of Time fans here? on 14:36 - Nov 19 by danehoop

Must confess that I started to lose interest after about book 10 as it felt to be like lots of filler, too many plots within plots. May try again now the TV series is out, hoping it has the quality of the Witcher (which surprised me how it was well aligned with the books).

Never liked the Game of Thrones books, not sure why, perhaps never really warmed to the characters much.

Thanks,

Yes I was surprised by how good the Witcher was with regards to the books.

I'm looking forward to the next one especially seeing 'The Therica' again.

Who remembers 'The Belgariad'? I haven't read one for over 25 years I enjoyed them too.

I also re-read 'The monarchies of God' series a few years ago, still held my interest.
[Post edited 19 Nov 2021 14:50]

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Any Wheel of Time fans here? on 15:27 - Nov 19 with 1939 viewsMatch82

Thought that the first game of thrones book was one of the best I've ever read, could not put it down. Second was extremely good, after that I just felt like they were dragging a bit and I struggled to stay interested.

Between that and the Kingkiller Chronicles I'm a bit burned on starting book series before they are actually finished though...
Any Wheel of Time fans here? on 15:47 - Nov 19 with 1899 viewsswisscottage

The Audiobooks are better than the books in the sense that the narrators are fantastic and bring the characters to life.

They were a major part to me losing weight a couple of years ago, as I only listened to them when I went for a walk, and I got so into them that I went for walks just to listen to them, sometimes walking up to 5 hours in a day when I had the time.

Trying not to give spoilers there's a few things they've done in the TV series that don't really work for me.

1) they've aged the characters about 5 years in the series. This is probably in order to get actors of a suitable level for the material, but resulted in some unnecessary changes in some of their backstories that don't really fit into the characters down the line.

2) they could probably have made the series 2 episodes longer in order to flesh the characters out a bit more in the beginning. One of the biggest issues I've seen in the reviews is that the character interaction is a bit lacking, and my feeling is that the character building Jordan does in the books in Eamons Field at the beginning should have been given a bit more weight. The books whilst being slow really flesh the characters out in the start which paves they way for their development.

One of the things that they've done well though is that they have added in more world events earlier than in the books which helps to flesh the world out a little bit and set the stage for how the story will unfold.
Unfortunately this is a little at the expense of building the characters.

They've also tried to pace it faster for TV, so this has led to amalgamation of sub plotlines, introduction of characters at different points than in the books and mostly works quite well but in some instances doesn't give enough weight to certain key events. So for those that enjoyed the books but though they were too slow, they may appreciate this.

The events in Shadar Logoth are significantly truncated and I'm really not sure how events in later books are supposed to work with the way they've changed it.

On the whole I'm probably being over critical because I've only just relistened to the first book, and comparing book to TV series is never a good thing.

One major good thing in my opinion is the diversity in casting. Whilst everyone has their own image of the characters from the books, and that the casting is nothing like my imaginations except for possibly Rand, I honestly believe the diversity in the casting works extremely well in relation to the characters that have been introduced so far. and they should be applauded for it.
Any Wheel of Time fans here? on 15:47 - Nov 19 with 1898 viewsTacticalR

I have never read the books, only seen the trailer for the new series, but Rosamund Pike has this 'do I have to say these lines' look on her face.

Air hostess clique

Any Wheel of Time fans here? on 15:56 - Nov 19 with 1883 viewsMick_S

Any Wheel of Time fans here? on 15:47 - Nov 19 by TacticalR

I have never read the books, only seen the trailer for the new series, but Rosamund Pike has this 'do I have to say these lines' look on her face.

Don’t tell her, TR.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Login to get fewer ads

Any Wheel of Time fans here? on 11:36 - Nov 20 with 1712 viewsdavman

Any Wheel of Time fans here? on 15:47 - Nov 19 by swisscottage

The Audiobooks are better than the books in the sense that the narrators are fantastic and bring the characters to life.

They were a major part to me losing weight a couple of years ago, as I only listened to them when I went for a walk, and I got so into them that I went for walks just to listen to them, sometimes walking up to 5 hours in a day when I had the time.

Trying not to give spoilers there's a few things they've done in the TV series that don't really work for me.

1) they've aged the characters about 5 years in the series. This is probably in order to get actors of a suitable level for the material, but resulted in some unnecessary changes in some of their backstories that don't really fit into the characters down the line.

2) they could probably have made the series 2 episodes longer in order to flesh the characters out a bit more in the beginning. One of the biggest issues I've seen in the reviews is that the character interaction is a bit lacking, and my feeling is that the character building Jordan does in the books in Eamons Field at the beginning should have been given a bit more weight. The books whilst being slow really flesh the characters out in the start which paves they way for their development.

One of the things that they've done well though is that they have added in more world events earlier than in the books which helps to flesh the world out a little bit and set the stage for how the story will unfold.
Unfortunately this is a little at the expense of building the characters.

They've also tried to pace it faster for TV, so this has led to amalgamation of sub plotlines, introduction of characters at different points than in the books and mostly works quite well but in some instances doesn't give enough weight to certain key events. So for those that enjoyed the books but though they were too slow, they may appreciate this.

The events in Shadar Logoth are significantly truncated and I'm really not sure how events in later books are supposed to work with the way they've changed it.

On the whole I'm probably being over critical because I've only just relistened to the first book, and comparing book to TV series is never a good thing.

One major good thing in my opinion is the diversity in casting. Whilst everyone has their own image of the characters from the books, and that the casting is nothing like my imaginations except for possibly Rand, I honestly believe the diversity in the casting works extremely well in relation to the characters that have been introduced so far. and they should be applauded for it.

Just watched the first episode with no prior knowledge of the story or the books. Got to say it shows much promise - thanks for the recommendation, J.

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Any Wheel of Time fans here? on 13:50 - Nov 20 with 1669 viewsswisscottage

Any Wheel of Time fans here? on 11:36 - Nov 20 by davman

Just watched the first episode with no prior knowledge of the story or the books. Got to say it shows much promise - thanks for the recommendation, J.

Given you views on Women's Football, I wasn't quite sure how you'd take to a world where the main power is Magic wielding Women
[Post edited 20 Nov 2021 13:51]
Any Wheel of Time fans here? on 12:49 - Nov 21 with 1568 viewsdavman

Any Wheel of Time fans here? on 13:50 - Nov 20 by swisscottage

Given you views on Women's Football, I wasn't quite sure how you'd take to a world where the main power is Magic wielding Women
[Post edited 20 Nov 2021 13:51]

Women wield magic in real life too, you know!

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Any Wheel of Time fans here? on 18:28 - Nov 21 with 1532 viewsswisscottage

Any Wheel of Time fans here? on 12:49 - Nov 21 by davman

Women wield magic in real life too, you know!

I think I've experienced that from time to time
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024