Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A Game For Ukraine 19:53 - Mar 7 with 3573 viewsRSCOSWORTH

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60653036

https://www.cu-fc.com/news/2022/march/us-stand-with-ukraine/

Something that I believe the club should be applauded for personally.

Anyone seen us play in blue and yellow before? We probably won't be allowed by the league anyway.

CheeRS

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

A Game For Ukraine on 20:36 - Mar 7 with 2659 viewsWitham

This is a good call by the club. Mrs Witham and I are ready to take a refugee family - my mother and my brother were WW2 refugees evacuated from Singapore.
A Game For Ukraine on 21:03 - Mar 7 with 2634 viewswessex_exile

A Game For Ukraine on 20:36 - Mar 7 by Witham

This is a good call by the club. Mrs Witham and I are ready to take a refugee family - my mother and my brother were WW2 refugees evacuated from Singapore.

Bravo both of you!

I'm planning to buy a ticket, even though I can't be there, to add into the pot, and I would urge all of the exiles (if they can afford to do so) to do likewise.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

A Game For Ukraine on 21:19 - Mar 7 with 2651 viewsnoah4x4

My late father's home town is merely 25km from the Ukraine border. In his early twenties, he hid in the Pripet Marshes and fought with the partisans against the German invaders, until fleeing from the Russians that they feared far more, before joining the Polish/American forces, with whom he then fought in Italy, eventually arriving here in 1946 as a displaced person with no assets and only his uniform. Only 7% of Warsaw remained standing, and he was one of millions seeking refuge from across utterly destroyed Europe, whilst as many had died. He was welcomed by a British family and that is the spirit required today. Thanks Witham.

He never took a penny in benefits from the UK, not even sick pay. Sadly, Eastern Europeans have recently been stereotyped by a lawless few, but the majority are the bravest, most loyal, hardest working people you will ever meet. Nobody values democracy and our western values higher, these nations having suffered under oppressive regimes for centuries. I applaud Robbie for this gesture, and am grateful for wider British support for my father's people. We lost touch with any family that my father had in Poland/Ukraine (few survived WWII), but I will be digging deep into my pockets to support the current unfortunate people facing the same hardships as my father, who frankly, never thought that the sacrifices made by his generation would mean no repetition. He always hated the Russians and predicted this. He died in 1991 before the fall of the USSR. If he was still alive, I reckon it would be hard to prevent him from fighting. Unless there is a diplomatic solution, this war will take the lives of many tens of thousands of Russian soldiers as Ukrainians (and their Polish brothers) won't ever surrender.
A Game For Ukraine on 13:34 - Mar 8 with 2537 viewsgerry_us

A Game For Ukraine on 21:03 - Mar 7 by wessex_exile

Bravo both of you!

I'm planning to buy a ticket, even though I can't be there, to add into the pot, and I would urge all of the exiles (if they can afford to do so) to do likewise.

Will do Wessex. What a call from the Chairman deserving of all our help.
Do you think that this amazingly generous offer will be reciprocated by FGR with an offer of 3 points?
A Game For Ukraine on 14:28 - Mar 8 with 2528 viewspwrightsknees

A Game For Ukraine on 21:03 - Mar 7 by wessex_exile

Bravo both of you!

Likewise, Wessex.

As you know, I can't attend matches any more on health grounds, but I had just the same idea. Given the seat won't be taken up, I wonder if the ticket could be given to a good cause, perhaps a youngster who couldn't otherwise attend.

By the way, Witham, well done you. Mrs. PWK and I are also prepared to provide a home for a refugee family.

Up the U's.
A Game For Ukraine on 19:25 - Mar 8 with 2499 viewsburnsieespana

Firstly this action by Robbie Cowling has seriously impressed me by his action.
Love the graphics on the big screen you see from the A12 says 'game for Ukraine'.
I wonder if any other clubs will follow but as this is a televised game going to gain massive positive publicity for us
Like Wessex am going to purchase a ticket which I won't be using
A lot of positive activity in Spain so got myself involved.
Up the U's but most of all my heart goes out to the Ukraine which I visited about 10 years ago.
A Game For Ukraine on 00:16 - Mar 9 with 2456 viewsdurham_exile

Must applaud the club for this great gesture.

I think the earliest Colchester shirt that I have is the 95-96 Vandanel shirt with Signal Radio Sponsor embossed on the shirt.

I dont think we have worn Yellow and Blue when I have watched the Super U's.

I know the intention is to auction the shirts after the game. If the club produced a limited edition Yellow and Blue shirt I would buy one but production costs would outweigh the sale value.

Excellent idea though by the club. I reckon we will win the game too.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

A Game For Ukraine on 11:23 - Mar 9 with 2411 viewsWitham

We are taking our Ukrainian flag with us to Scunthorpe on Saturday.
Login to get fewer ads

A Game For Ukraine on 11:27 - Mar 9 with 2410 viewsburnsieespana

A Game For Ukraine on 11:23 - Mar 9 by Witham

Excellent Witham.
A Game For Ukraine on 11:36 - Mar 9 with 2407 viewsgerry_us

A Game For Ukraine on 11:23 - Mar 9 by Witham

Give it a good wave and we will all come to help.
A Game For Ukraine on 16:36 - Mar 10 with 2331 viewsForeverGreen

A Game For Ukraine on 11:36 - Mar 9 by gerry_us

Give it a good wave and we will all come to help.

Excellent gesture by your club.
I support FGR and have just purchased a ticket for the match.
I've never visited Colchester before so don't know the area but I see that the football ground is quite a long way from the railway station (I'll be travelling from Liverpool Street).
Are there regular buses, especially after the match? Or is it safer to book a cab?
Is traffic usually so bad that it will be quicker to walk?!!

Any info will be very much appreciated. Thank you.
A Game For Ukraine on 17:13 - Mar 10 with 2311 viewswessex_exile

A Game For Ukraine on 16:36 - Mar 10 by ForeverGreen

Excellent gesture by your club.
I support FGR and have just purchased a ticket for the match.
I've never visited Colchester before so don't know the area but I see that the football ground is quite a long way from the railway station (I'll be travelling from Liverpool Street).
Are there regular buses, especially after the match? Or is it safer to book a cab?
Is traffic usually so bad that it will be quicker to walk?!!

Any info will be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Well done FG, long way to travel for an evening game when it's on TV as well!

You usually don't have to wait long, if at all, at the taxi rank outside the train station, so you shouldn't have any problems getting to the ground. There are no sensible bus options to get to the ground unfortunately. The club used to subsidise a shuttle bus service from Bruff Close (just around the corner from the train station) to ferry supporters to and from the ground. Unfortunately, fewer and fewer supporters bought a return ticket to get to the ground, and more and more grabbed a free journey back to town. Eventually, after ten years, the Chairman pulled the plug on that one.

As far as getting back is concerned, if you can book a taxi to meet you I would advise it, but imagine you'd have to agree a rendezvous point away from the stadium. If you walk back to the train station, which is doable if you're reasonably able-bodied, it'll take you 30-35 minutes on a good day if you head down Boxted Road/ Nayland Road/ Mile End Road. Once you get on Mile End Road, keep an eye behind you while your walking, because chances are a bus for town may well come down the road too - so make sure you're near a bus stop. If you're not in too much of a rush, there's a pub (Dog & Pheasant), chippy and off-licence/ Co-op on the walk.

Safe travelling!

Up the U's

A Game For Ukraine on 19:26 - Mar 10 with 2289 viewsForeverGreen

Hi wessex exile,
Thank you for the rapid response to my questions.
I'm actually only coming from London rather than Nailsworth but still quite far to travel on a Monday night!
I have to be up early for work the next morning so want to get away as soon as possible afterwards and catch the first available train back.
I'll be arriving in plenty of time to get to the ground so might start walking to get an idea of distance and book a cab to collect me from somewhere on the route after the match as you suggested.
How far is the Dog & Pheasant pub from the ground? Does it welcome away fans?
Also, is there a bar area available to away fans at the ground?
Thanks again for the info.
A Game For Ukraine on 19:53 - Mar 10 with 2284 viewsnoah4x4

From the rail station, a number 8, 61, 65 or 68 bus will get you within 500 yards of the Dog & Pheasant, which is a Hungry Horse pub/restaurant and (all) fan friendly. Get off the bus as soon as it turns into Mill Road, then walk in the opposite direction as far as you can go.

It is then about a 10 minute walk to the ground, and 15 minutes back to the Mill Road bus stops. The number 2 bus does serves Nayland Road (Dog & Pheasant) but is rather infrequent. Mill Road is your best bet, but most of us drink in town, then get a taxi.

You can get a beer in the ground, but it is shit Green King IPA. Indeed, the Dog and Pheasant is similar. You might get a Newcastle Brown there. If you want a proper real Ale, try the Magnet or Victoria Inn near the station. Both on the bus routes mentioned.

The walk from the station to the ground is all uphill. It is a very hard slog. Going back is all downhill. But it is about 30 minutes. Suggest a taxi or bus going.
A Game For Ukraine on 19:57 - Mar 10 with 2273 viewswessex_exile

A Game For Ukraine on 19:26 - Mar 10 by ForeverGreen

Hi wessex exile,
Thank you for the rapid response to my questions.
I'm actually only coming from London rather than Nailsworth but still quite far to travel on a Monday night!
I have to be up early for work the next morning so want to get away as soon as possible afterwards and catch the first available train back.
I'll be arriving in plenty of time to get to the ground so might start walking to get an idea of distance and book a cab to collect me from somewhere on the route after the match as you suggested.
How far is the Dog & Pheasant pub from the ground? Does it welcome away fans?
Also, is there a bar area available to away fans at the ground?
Thanks again for the info.

It's been a while since I've been in there, but last time I think the Dog & Pheasant was home fans only, but I'm sure you'd be okay if you aren't wearing colours. It's about halfway from the station to the ground, but bear in mind the walk to the ground is pretty much all uphill - though not 'New Lawn uphill'! The Bricklayers (again last time I was there) is okay for away fans, which is a very short walk up either Bergholt Road (front door, if it's open) or Mile End Road (back door), literally 5 minutes from the station.

We did have a fanzone area open to all for drinks, snacks etc at the ground, but that was (possibly still is) closed because of Covid-19, and the ground was being used as a vaccination centre - others here can clarify that one. Otherwise, there is the usual concourse fare available. As my username suggests, I'm actually based over your way, in fact FGR is one of my closest grounds and I was at the New Lawn earlier this season (enough said about the result btw).

Up the U's

A Game For Ukraine on 21:50 - Mar 10 with 2261 viewsgerry_us

A Game For Ukraine on 19:57 - Mar 10 by wessex_exile

It's been a while since I've been in there, but last time I think the Dog & Pheasant was home fans only, but I'm sure you'd be okay if you aren't wearing colours. It's about halfway from the station to the ground, but bear in mind the walk to the ground is pretty much all uphill - though not 'New Lawn uphill'! The Bricklayers (again last time I was there) is okay for away fans, which is a very short walk up either Bergholt Road (front door, if it's open) or Mile End Road (back door), literally 5 minutes from the station.

We did have a fanzone area open to all for drinks, snacks etc at the ground, but that was (possibly still is) closed because of Covid-19, and the ground was being used as a vaccination centre - others here can clarify that one. Otherwise, there is the usual concourse fare available. As my username suggests, I'm actually based over your way, in fact FGR is one of my closest grounds and I was at the New Lawn earlier this season (enough said about the result btw).

Don't let all that put you off coming to the game though.
A Game For Ukraine on 05:27 - Mar 11 with 2236 viewsnoah4x4

A Game For Ukraine on 21:50 - Mar 10 by gerry_us

Don't let all that put you off coming to the game though.

.....notwithstanding the poor welcome has put off hoards of U's fans......

1. The proper (comfortable) fans bar remains a vaccination centre.
2. Drinking in the concourse offers the same breeze block ambiance as the urinals.
3. The outside fans zone is uncovered and simply a smoking zone inside fencing.
4. The only beer is Green King IPA (shite).
5. Due to covid restrictions, we still can't select out own seats.
But.....
6. You can get a lukewarm, real sausage roll, unlike at the New Lawn.

Your warmest welcome as an away fan will be the Victoria Inn. A short walk from the rail station and has a bus stop outside. CAMRA award winning, claims to be the official Yorkshire Embassy offering sanctuary to all beer lovers that are friendly. Landlord is a Blades fan. Surrounded by take-away food outlets and you are welcome to bring in such food. Great real ales and current "Cider Pub of the year". I thought that potent apple juice might get you interested.....
A Game For Ukraine on 12:01 - Mar 11 with 2199 viewsGOSBTS

Robbie on TalkSport just now talking about the initiative. Very warmly received by Simon Jordan, Jim White and Martin Keown. I hope for a big crowd!
A Game For Ukraine on 14:40 - Mar 12 with 2123 viewsForeverGreen

Good to have lots of info that I can look at on the night in order to find my way around.
Thanks all.
I didn't realise that the supporter's bar at the ground is closed due to it being a vaccination centre.
I noticed when I bought my ticket online that seat numbers will be allocated and fans still sit in 'bubbles' so Covid restrictions must still be in place.

I hope you sell lots of tickets and we all have a great night of football.
I would say that I expect us to win but we have a habit of not doing so well when performing in front of the TV cameras!
A Game For Ukraine on 14:53 - Mar 12 with 2112 viewswessex_exile

A Game For Ukraine on 14:40 - Mar 12 by ForeverGreen

Good to have lots of info that I can look at on the night in order to find my way around.
Thanks all.
I didn't realise that the supporter's bar at the ground is closed due to it being a vaccination centre.
I noticed when I bought my ticket online that seat numbers will be allocated and fans still sit in 'bubbles' so Covid restrictions must still be in place.

I hope you sell lots of tickets and we all have a great night of football.
I would say that I expect us to win but we have a habit of not doing so well when performing in front of the TV cameras!

Yeah, our chairman has come in for a lot of flak because of that too. He put the system in place preseason, uncertain at the time quite what was going to happen regarding Covid, and with the best of intentions. Unfortunately, some have moaned that they can't choose their seat, but as he's already stated, they can't change the ticketing system mid-season, so it remains in place until summer. Realistically, most supporters if they want can move seats once they're in the ground, so it's quite 'light touch' as far as social-distancing restrictions are concerned.

Enjoy the visit, less so hopefully the result (though you'll get promoted anyway).

Up the U's

A Game For Ukraine on 12:44 - Mar 14 with 2016 viewsburnsieespana

Club have now set up a just giving page for those of us unable to be present.
Of course anybody can donate and gift aid as well.
[Post edited 14 Mar 2022 15:22]
A Game For Ukraine on 15:20 - Mar 14 with 1981 viewsWitham

Be nice if I could donate the balance on my Dashboard
A Game For Ukraine on 16:59 - Mar 14 with 1965 viewsnoah4x4

Donate to British Red Cross via Col U at

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/colugameforukraine?experiments=donate_now
A Game For Ukraine on 15:19 - Mar 20 with 1813 viewsbwildered

A Game For Ukraine on 16:59 - Mar 14 by noah4x4

Donate to British Red Cross via Col U at

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/colugameforukraine?experiments=donate_now

I am doing a bucket collection for the British Red Cross pre match, tomorrow night, I know the stadium is now contactless regards purchases, but please bring any loose change you can donate however small, it all helps .
Will be wearing Col Utd beanie, so come and say hello, so please bring that change.
[Post edited 20 Mar 2022 15:20]

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

A Game For Ukraine on 18:45 - Mar 20 with 1787 viewswessex_exile

A Game For Ukraine on 15:19 - Mar 20 by bwildered

I am doing a bucket collection for the British Red Cross pre match, tomorrow night, I know the stadium is now contactless regards purchases, but please bring any loose change you can donate however small, it all helps .
Will be wearing Col Utd beanie, so come and say hello, so please bring that change.
[Post edited 20 Mar 2022 15:20]

Nice work - well done chap!

Up the U's

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024