Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jumpers for goalpost hmmmmm! 08:39 - Apr 19 with 1305 viewsTheOldOakTree

Those were the days Ron!

Who needs a Director of Performance, all we need is a VHS recorder and a Jiffy bag.

Don't know if anyone has seen this but I found interesting.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/61084931

I can't help thinking that it's all been made a bit complicated nowadays. It certainly didn't help Watford that much!
Jumpers for goalpost hmmmmm! on 13:04 - Apr 19 with 1253 viewsburnsieespana

Shows trust we all had in the mail system as well!
On a serious note I wonder how much of the high tech info Manager;s and players get from the boffins clouds the minds?
Like most things in life football over last 50 years has become so complicated!
Jumpers for goalpost hmmmmm! on 13:14 - Apr 19 with 1249 viewswessex_exile

Now they strap a GPS to the back of them and have data pouring in in real-time. I do wonder whether anyone actually has oversight of the data during a game, with the ability to pass on observations/ recommendations? Evidence suggests not...

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Jumpers for goalpost hmmmmm! on 14:45 - Apr 19 with 1228 viewsbwildered

Think nearly all sports people wear GPS vests for data.
Just going off on a tangent, players should be constantly reviewing their positional play during games, but now have the managers on touch lines shouting and waving performances also to cope with during ninety minutes, which must become a hindrance in their own personal performance.

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Jumpers for goalpost hmmmmm! on 16:01 - Apr 19 with 1211 viewsTheOldOakTree

Certainly fitness and analysis have taken a much higher priority than skill or brains in most sports.

You would have to question the reliability of data like 'only a 3% chance of a goal coming from a shot outside the box'. Every player is different.

If it's Aaron Skelton with the ball you'd shout FFS pass it.

If it's Bobby Charlton or any of the Brazil team from the 70's you would want them to have a crack.

I say get back to basics, if the manager can't see what's right or wrong without experts, then he's not the man for the job.

Also, getting fit is not that much of a Science, nowadays all the info is out there, your average instructor down the local gym would do for Col U. If you think of the Liverpool teams of the 80's and many great sides, they didn't need to be too fit, if you can pass the ball and keep hold of it, its the other team that do all the running. Skill should be far more important than being able to run like a maniac for 90 mins.

We were far better off with skillful or intelligent players like Cureton, McGavin, Watson, Sheedy etc than any over-analysed, super athlete that 'experts' could produce. Save the money on the backroon BS and concentrate on a decent manager with brains and the ability to motivate. Train players to play football, not wire them up to machines.

What would a performance director made of McGavin in his latter years? ....yet he could still terrorise defenders.
[Post edited 19 Apr 2022 16:31]
Jumpers for goalpost hmmmmm! on 22:39 - Apr 19 with 1142 viewsnoah4x4

If sport was so predictable, I might have a hat-trick of HGPL titles…..

More seriously, I work closely with highly qualified Sports Analysts/Nutritionists/Psychologists in professional cricket and frankly, modern sports science is awesome. First class cricket is now experimenting with Artificial Intelligence to determine (player) “match ups”. Whether soccer coaches always listen is perhaps debatable, but sports science has definitely transformed Cricket and Rugby Union.

For example, in 2011, a decent Duckworth Lewis G50 par score was around 250. Today, 350+ is par. Standards of skill, fitness and stamina have soared. But usually in either cricket and rugby the best team wins. Soccer is so much more unpredictable. Often, a single goal favours a team against the run of play. However, when our favourite player is substituted, it is wrong to criticise coaches for making that decision or criticising footballers for not lasting 90 minutes. I played county rugby and you can’t imagine the pain of lasting 80 minutes in some intensely competitive matches, yet be fit for more minutes on other occasions. Today, tactical substitutions in both soccer and rugby heavily depend upon sports science.

If anybody wants to learn more about video capture and ball by ball analysis in cricket, please feel welcome to join me down Castle Park or follow Colchester cricket on our Play Cricket website live stream. First cup game is this Saturday …. and no football!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024