Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New era dawns for Super U's against Monkey Hangers at JCS tomorrow 21:34 - Sep 2 with 1503 viewsdurham_exile

Excited, you bet I am, the U’s have assembled the best squad they have had for years and they left the very best until last this week. With the Transfer window slamming shut Colchester finally spelt out their intent in large letters.

First came Bez Lubala from Blackpool. Forget all the nay sayers this guy is the business and at 24 the winger/striker has joined on loan to help kick start our season. After weeks of calling for a striker, two come along at once. Kwesi Appiah, a genuine number 9 and wearing number 9 arrived from Crawley on a season long loan. Appiah, you bet he is and at 32 he has tremendous experience and a proven goal scorer. More to the point he looks fit and lean.

But Matty Longstaff from Newcastle United is the crème de la crème. Proven first team experience, proven ability at this level with Mansfield and also at Aberdeen, Longstaff must surely put 500 on all home gates. He is with us on loan initially until January, but I say get him signed up for the season.

The addition of these three, who should all go straight into the team on Saturday (and play every game) will help be the backbone of our team and squad.

For years we have been in the doldrums, but the addition of these new players will give everyone a big lift.

It is not difficult to see why. Every fan, supporters or faithful cries out for new strikers. I have for years, but finally someone is listening. Full marks to Ross Embleton Head of Recruitment, who has masterminded these coups.

My only regret is that I can’t get to the JCS tomorrow because it’s actually going to be a bit special.

BDH must be bold and brave and play each one of them. The talking has to stop, it is time for actions and to get this show on the road. Never mind the recent poor form this season starts tomorrow.

We now have 31 players who could all feature at some stage this season. Of the 31 there are 21 who together must signal to the other teams that Colchester is like John Wyndham’s Kraken finally waking from its slumbers.

Now the onus is on WB to stir up the pot and play the talent that has been arranged for him.

Hartlepool are the visitors. Forget all about league positions, they have just secured a Papa John’s victory and will not want to rest there.

Paul Hartley has taken over a club in decline but they like the U’s are after league points.

So, who do BDH play tomorrow.

Forget about the injuries:

John Akinde — groin frankly never recovered from playing 96 minutes against the Bees.
Tom Eastman — very unlucky because he was back to his imperious best.
Ossama Ashley — don’t know what is wrong with him, but he seems too lightweight for my liking.
Tommy Smith — has the World Cup blues after the All Whites failed to qualify at the last hurdle.
Alan Judge — soon to be back in contention but give him another week on the sidelines.
Emyr Huws — deliberately crocked by the Lions, which was a disgrace.
Chay Cooper — great talent and as he proved at Hartlepool a sweet right foot.

I would play the following in a 4,4,2:

O’Hara

Tchamadeu Chambers Dallison Clampin

Newby Chilvers Longstaff Lubala

Appiah Sears

Subs:
Hornby Coxe Kazeem Eastman Marshall-Miranda Chesters Tovide

Frankly I reckon you can’t put a cigarette paper between Hornby and O’Hara — too close to call.

The back four pretty much picks itself. Kazeem or Clampin is also a close call.

Now Judge notwithstanding, I think that Newby, Longstaff, Chilvers and Lubala is the best midfield in the league. And I haven’t forgotten about Skuse and Huws when fit. Marley Marshall-Miranda is also good news.

But two genuine forwards in Appiah and Sears should get us those missing goals. Don’t forget about Samson Tovide either.

Longstaff will also get the best out of Chilvers, who was beginning to believe the hype. The faithful sing “Noah Chilvers he’s one of our own” — now prove it Noah.

Lubala not only offers pace, but also he can cross a decent ball for the predators.

That’s why I’m going for a handsome 4-0 Colchester victory tomorrow. It is about time that we scored some home goals and in Chilvers and Longstaff we have the players to support the strikers.

All of this is dependent upon WB and Co releasing the shackles and getting the players to be assertive.

I want to see the South Stand rocking as it was against Brentford, but this time converting the chances into goals. I also want to see Jeff Stelling as quiet as a church mouse on Saturday afternoon on Soccer Saturday. I also want to see the U’s faithful leaving with genuine smiles on their faces at 4:50 on Saturday afternoon.

Let’s take the game to the Monkey Hangers, let’s open their defence and play a high line and play with confidence.

Colchester weather 23 degrees Celsius, mostly cloudy but some sunshine, possibly a little precipitation, but otherwise great for football. The pitch should be spot on.

It is about time that we were playing at the top end of the League instead of the inconsistency and constant carping about a game that no one else saw. I am not really fussed about the percentage possession, but I do want us to use the ball constructively when we have it.

Goal scorers, Longstaff a brace, Appiah and Chilvers to complete the rout.

Let’s make the headlines for the right reasons and make sure that the three points are firmly in the U’s court. We don’t need Colonel Tim Collins in the dressing room inspiring the players tomorrow. Pin up a copy of the league table but upside down for emphasis.

Over to you WB.

Enjoy the game.

Up the U’s

[Post edited 2 Sep 2022 23:24]

Durham_exile

New era dawns for Super U's against Monkey Hangers at JCS tomorrow on 00:23 - Sep 3 with 1438 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Reading this put a smile on my face. When you get down about the U's then I know we're in trouble. The positivity and sheer glee in this post is almost overwhelming. Let's hope you're right with all the above but especially the score.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

New era dawns for Super U's against Monkey Hangers at JCS tomorrow on 07:10 - Sep 3 with 1416 viewsnoah4x4

I propose to reserve judgement until I see them kick a ball, which won't be today (last weekend of cricket). We had similar expectancy when we recruited all the ex-Ipswich, all allegedly of higher quality and considered ready to propel us upwards. But the reason they were released soon became apparent. Surely FFP and tiny gates prevent us from luring the best? How can we afford the restricted wages for this battalion sized squad?

Clueless Brown, Humes puppet, will probably put all on the bench and give them five minutes when we are 0-1 down. Lose today, and I feel it will be the final straw for many fans. Another season of despair locked in a relegation dog fight. . I hope your optimism is justified Durham.
New era dawns for Super U's against Monkey Hangers at JCS tomorrow on 08:40 - Sep 3 with 1401 viewswessex_exile

Stirring stuff Durham, they should stick this on the dressing room wall!

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

New era dawns for Super U's against Monkey Hangers at JCS tomorrow on 14:11 - Sep 3 with 1343 viewsdurham_exile

Team:

O'Hara

Tchamadeu Chambers Dallison Kazeem

Newby Skuse Chilvers Longstaff Marshall-Miranda

Appiah

Hornby Sears Lubala Eastman Chesters Coxe Nouble

Up the U's

Durham_exile

New era dawns for Super U's against Monkey Hangers at JCS tomorrow on 15:22 - Sep 3 with 1323 viewswessex_exile

Sounds all a bit disjointed at the moment, need more composure on the ball.

Up the U's

New era dawns for Super U's against Monkey Hangers at JCS tomorrow on 15:30 - Sep 3 with 1317 viewswessex_exile

New era dawns for Super U's against Monkey Hangers at JCS tomorrow on 15:22 - Sep 3 by wessex_exile

...and we pay the price for that poor start - 1-0 to the 'angers :-(

Up the U's

New era dawns for Super U's against Monkey Hangers at JCS tomorrow on 15:31 - Sep 3 with 1316 viewsdurham_exile

New era dawns for Super U's against Monkey Hangers at JCS tomorrow on 15:22 - Sep 3 by wessex_exile

No-one has read the script.
Come on were better than this.

Up the U's

WB must play two up front but we simply must not lose this game.

Durham_exile

New era dawns for Super U's against Monkey Hangers at JCS tomorrow on 15:37 - Sep 3 with 1311 viewsdurham_exile

New era dawns for Super U's against Monkey Hangers at JCS tomorrow on 15:31 - Sep 3 by durham_exile

No-one has read the script.
Come on were better than this.

Up the U's

WB must play two up front but we simply must not lose this game.

Skuse injured and off. Sears on

Come on we must get back into this and quickly

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Login to get fewer ads

New era dawns for Super U's against Monkey Hangers at JCS tomorrow on 15:44 - Sep 3 with 1307 viewsgerry_us

"New era dawns?"
More like same errors made!
New era dawns for Super U's against Monkey Hangers at JCS tomorrow on 15:49 - Sep 3 with 1302 viewsnoah4x4

Same old shite. Humes Out!
New era dawns for Super U's against Monkey Hangers at JCS tomorrow on 15:49 - Sep 3 with 1300 viewsdurham_exile

New era dawns for Super U's against Monkey Hangers at JCS tomorrow on 15:44 - Sep 3 by gerry_us

"New era dawns?"
More like same errors made!

Am I downhearted, no.

We will turn this around second half.

At least we have two up front now.

Bring Lubala on at HT

Up the U:s

Durham_exile

New era dawns for Super U's against Monkey Hangers at JCS tomorrow on 15:59 - Sep 3 with 1288 viewsburnsieespana

Not good but no surprise when you try and integrate new players at short notice.
Jury is out on the goalkeeper situation but think we now realise how good Shamal was for us.
New era dawns for Super U's against Monkey Hangers at JCS tomorrow on 16:16 - Sep 3 with 1271 viewsdurham_exile

New era dawns for Super U's against Monkey Hangers at JCS tomorrow on 15:49 - Sep 3 by durham_exile

Am I downhearted, no.

We will turn this around second half.

At least we have two up front now.

Bring Lubala on at HT

Up the U:s

Lubala on for Marshall-Miranda.

Now we have the team that I wanted from the start.

Let's start to deliver

Up the U's

Durham_exile

New era dawns for Super U's against Monkey Hangers at JCS tomorrow on 16:26 - Sep 3 with 1267 viewswessex_exile

New era dawns for Super U's against Monkey Hangers at JCS tomorrow on 16:16 - Sep 3 by durham_exile

Lubala on for Marshall-Miranda.

Now we have the team that I wanted from the start.

Let's start to deliver

Up the U's

Definitely a much better second half so far, just need the breakthrough goal.

Up the U's

New era dawns for Super U's against Monkey Hangers at JCS tomorrow on 16:58 - Sep 3 with 1232 viewswessex_exile

Not the result we wanted, but we deserved that equaliser - well done Bez!

Up the U's

New era dawns for Super U's against Monkey Hangers at JCS tomorrow on 16:59 - Sep 3 with 1229 viewsgerry_us

Durham for manager.
New era dawns for Super U's against Monkey Hangers at JCS tomorrow on 17:00 - Sep 3 with 1228 viewsdurham_exile

New era dawns for Super U's against Monkey Hangers at JCS tomorrow on 16:26 - Sep 3 by wessex_exile

Definitely a much better second half so far, just need the breakthrough goal.

WB at last plays the XI that I wanted from the start and 94th minute equaliser from Bez Lubala

Keep the faith

Up the U's

Get in!

Durham_exile

New era dawns for Super U's against Monkey Hangers at JCS tomorrow on 17:47 - Sep 3 with 1188 viewsthrillseeker

Just back home and all I can say is that late goal papers over many cracks.

A poor performance, and I was staggered when they announced Longstaff as MOTM.

I am hoping it was a poor performance as players hadn't had much training together and need time to gel

A draw is better than a defeat but we need to improve and quickly at that
New era dawns for Super U's against Monkey Hangers at JCS tomorrow on 18:15 - Sep 3 with 1172 viewsbwildered

Having assembled a enormous squad, looks like the U’s being a kid with lots of Lego but no book of instructions. It might go here it might go there in terms of players positions, overall play and what to build .
Dark arts time put pay to Monkey Hangers taking away three points in this battle of basement boys tie, with the only quality cross by Coxe put away at the far post. Its papered over the cracks for now, getting a point, shows how far the U’s have progressed, a unbeaten run of ONE.
Can the U’s do any better, not until someone buys that elusive manual.

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

New era dawns for Super U's against Monkey Hangers at JCS tomorrow on 18:27 - Sep 3 with 1165 viewsthrillseeker

A side issue I forgot to mention is that one of our fans in South Stand and Chambers had words after the game and from where I sit in East Stand it was not a friendly exchange.
New era dawns for Super U's against Monkey Hangers at JCS tomorrow on 12:01 - Sep 4 with 1041 viewsdurham_exile

New era dawns for Super U's against Monkey Hangers at JCS tomorrow on 18:15 - Sep 3 by bwildered

Having assembled a enormous squad, looks like the U’s being a kid with lots of Lego but no book of instructions. It might go here it might go there in terms of players positions, overall play and what to build .
Dark arts time put pay to Monkey Hangers taking away three points in this battle of basement boys tie, with the only quality cross by Coxe put away at the far post. Its papered over the cracks for now, getting a point, shows how far the U’s have progressed, a unbeaten run of ONE.
Can the U’s do any better, not until someone buys that elusive manual.

bwildered - the cross and header were superb.

Interestingly last week I am sure that we would have lost this game.
Great to see the U's battling for an equaliser.

Ok not the start I wanted for the new era, but with another week together and if only WB can get it into his head that a lone striker is not the answer then we can begin to build.

To use the Lego analogy - we are currently with Duplo and looking to go with Lego and Creator eventually.

The club also hasn't decided where Longstaff will play and how the relationship with Chilvers will work. Hopefully Cole Skuse is not badly injured.

That is the team though and if it means that some noses will be out of joint then so be it. It's all about winning football matches.

Lots to ponder, but a point when it could have been so much worse, I'll take it.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

New era dawns for Super U's against Monkey Hangers at JCS tomorrow on 16:18 - Sep 4 with 997 viewsbwildered

If the U’s was a Lego kit it would be the new Artemis rocket, ( not available at present only the old Saturn V ), rolled out every week, ready to launch , plenty of hot air, but fails to take off !!

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

New era dawns for Super U's against Monkey Hangers at JCS tomorrow on 17:34 - Sep 4 with 981 viewsdurham_exile

New era dawns for Super U's against Monkey Hangers at JCS tomorrow on 16:18 - Sep 4 by bwildered

If the U’s was a Lego kit it would be the new Artemis rocket, ( not available at present only the old Saturn V ), rolled out every week, ready to launch , plenty of hot air, but fails to take off !!

Artemis was the goddess of hunting, Tally Ho!
Now that we once again run out to the Post Horn Gallop, we have got to be predators feasting on the opposition.

But I take your point about the rocket bwildered.
We must be All Systems Go!

Or as I once saw in a block of flats - All cisterns go!

Up the U's

Durham_exile

New era dawns for Super U's against Monkey Hangers at JCS tomorrow on 22:50 - Sep 4 with 914 viewsghughes11

Neil Kelly was gutted when commentating on the Col U equaliser!

Not sure how Jeff Stelling took it on Sky?!?

A let off for Col U, but Hartlepool's time wasting ended up biting them on the bum!

It will be interesting to see what team BDH put out on Tuesday vs Brighton U21s.

Do they make wholesale changes again to try and find the right combos and give the fringe players (Ashley, Owens etc) a run? Or my preference would be getting a settled side playing together to get used to a system that suits them going forward!

Up the U's!

Poll: What was the main reason for the Col U win versus Carlisle?

New era dawns for Super U's against Monkey Hangers at JCS tomorrow on 23:56 - Sep 4 with 907 viewsdurham_exile

New era dawns for Super U's against Monkey Hangers at JCS tomorrow on 22:50 - Sep 4 by ghughes11

Neil Kelly was gutted when commentating on the Col U equaliser!

Not sure how Jeff Stelling took it on Sky?!?

A let off for Col U, but Hartlepool's time wasting ended up biting them on the bum!

It will be interesting to see what team BDH put out on Tuesday vs Brighton U21s.

Do they make wholesale changes again to try and find the right combos and give the fringe players (Ashley, Owens etc) a run? Or my preference would be getting a settled side playing together to get used to a system that suits them going forward!

Up the U's!

ghughes I was also watching Sky Sports News and because the goal came in the 94th minute Jeff didn't get much time to reflect on the equaliser.
He simply said my lot have conceded an equaliser.
But he doesn't like Colchester anyway.

When they had James Brown playing for them he had a James Brown plastic model which danced and sang and he delighted in ridiculing Colchester when they beat us 4-2

Anyway I think plenty of changes Tuesday night.

But a settled team for Barrow next week.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024