Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Holiday in Éire 10:18 - Apr 3 with 2566 viewsRs_Holy

Mrs Holy has suggested a holiday this summer in Southern Ireland... We are thinking of flying to Shannon or Knock and staying somewhere in that vicinity? We will probably get a car too, (so we will be fairly mobile).
Any suggestions as to nice places in that area? We will be joined by the mother in law, (so nothing too hilly). Many thanks in advance....
[Post edited 3 Apr 2023 10:35]
Holiday in Éire on 10:26 - Apr 3 with 2513 viewsEsox_Lucius

Inch, Ring of Kerry, Waterford Crystal factory Galway town of a night time. Galway Hooker Sailing Club do boat trips and worth checking out. If you happen to like Pike fishing, find a local around Ballinasloe to take you to the river Suck, off the Shannon, where there are some 30lb+ plus toothy critters.
That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

The grass is always greener.

Holiday in Éire on 10:36 - Apr 3 with 2474 viewsRs_Holy

Holiday in Éire on 10:26 - Apr 3 by Esox_Lucius

Inch, Ring of Kerry, Waterford Crystal factory Galway town of a night time. Galway Hooker Sailing Club do boat trips and worth checking out. If you happen to like Pike fishing, find a local around Ballinasloe to take you to the river Suck, off the Shannon, where there are some 30lb+ plus toothy critters.

muchas gracias :)
Holiday in Éire on 10:58 - Apr 3 with 2432 viewsrobith

I'm very biased but I'd head up to Galway as a base. Cracking city, and there's loads to do around it, the bits of coastline there are sublime, Arran islands, a lot of orbital roads you can drive to see the coast.
Holiday in Éire on 11:02 - Apr 3 with 2415 viewsRs_Holy

Holiday in Éire on 10:58 - Apr 3 by robith

I'm very biased but I'd head up to Galway as a base. Cracking city, and there's loads to do around it, the bits of coastline there are sublime, Arran islands, a lot of orbital roads you can drive to see the coast.

ta
Holiday in Éire on 11:04 - Apr 3 with 2410 viewsHayesender

A few of us stayed in a place called Killorglin in Kerry last summer for a few days. Lovely little town, and right on the doorstep of the ring of Kerry.

As you've got a car, make the most of the west coast. I think they call it the wild Atlantic way. Stunning

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Holiday in Éire on 11:13 - Apr 3 with 2379 viewsRs_Holy

Holiday in Éire on 11:04 - Apr 3 by Hayesender

A few of us stayed in a place called Killorglin in Kerry last summer for a few days. Lovely little town, and right on the doorstep of the ring of Kerry.

As you've got a car, make the most of the west coast. I think they call it the wild Atlantic way. Stunning

cheers
Holiday in Éire on 11:19 - Apr 3 with 2370 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Another vote for the Arran islands and Galway coast here.

Spent a weekend in Inis Oir last summer. Peaceful and beautiful.
Holiday in Éire on 11:26 - Apr 3 with 2330 viewsRs_Holy

Holiday in Éire on 11:19 - Apr 3 by BazzaInTheLoft

Another vote for the Arran islands and Galway coast here.

Spent a weekend in Inis Oir last summer. Peaceful and beautiful.

peaceful appeals right now .... cheers :)
Login to get fewer ads

Holiday in Éire on 11:58 - Apr 3 with 2251 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I would recommend Galway as well, but throw in Clare next door. A trip to the Islands, A few nights in Galway Town, out west to Connemara, then south to the Clare coast and the Burren. A night in Ennis. I think that trip is far more relaxed and authentic than the more popular but kitschy Kerry circuit. My native West Cork (and other places like Donegal) are also beautiful but maybe a bit too quiet. Galway and Clare seem to have the right balance.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Holiday in Éire on 12:04 - Apr 3 with 2216 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Holiday in Éire on 11:58 - Apr 3 by BrianMcCarthy

I would recommend Galway as well, but throw in Clare next door. A trip to the Islands, A few nights in Galway Town, out west to Connemara, then south to the Clare coast and the Burren. A night in Ennis. I think that trip is far more relaxed and authentic than the more popular but kitschy Kerry circuit. My native West Cork (and other places like Donegal) are also beautiful but maybe a bit too quiet. Galway and Clare seem to have the right balance.

'A night in Ennis'

I'd swim there for that!

Holiday in Éire on 12:08 - Apr 3 with 2174 viewsBoston

Holiday in Éire on 10:26 - Apr 3 by Esox_Lucius

'Suck of Shannon'...Ireland has changed.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Holiday in Éire on 12:12 - Apr 3 with 2152 viewsMrSheen

Holiday in Éire on 11:58 - Apr 3 by BrianMcCarthy

I would have to agree through gritted teeth that Killarney and Dingle in Kerry are too touristy for their own good, but Derrynane is one of the loveliest places on earth. The Ring of Kerry drive is clogged with buses in summer - top tip, do it clockwise, the buses go the other way - but the Wild Atlantic Way/Skellig Ring which follows the coast is epic. Derrynane to Waterville, across to Ballinskelligs, round past the Skelligs and over to Portmagee, across and around Valentia Island to Knightstown, putter back on the ferry to the Mainland. Heaven.

If you choose Kerry, you can fly to its very own International Airport, between Tralee and Killarney, from Luton or Stansted on Ryanair. Not recommended - Ballybunion. The coast is nice but the town is shabby.
[Post edited 3 Apr 2023 12:13]
Holiday in Éire on 12:37 - Apr 3 with 2105 viewsted_hendrix

We used Knock airport regularly a while back It's kind of okay always a bit of a struggle getting your hired car though, maybe changed a bit now as we haven't been back for a while.
The local town of Ballina is stuck In a 1930's time warp and basically Is a dump, Castlebar not much better, Wesport Is okay though.
Unless your one hell of a devout RC give the town of Knock Itself a swerve.
If you are going to do Mayo head first to Belmullet then Enniscrone (Sligo) or head South down the coast road from Belmullet towards Westport that'll take you through the Ballycroy National Park.
Used to love It over In Mayo (Wife's County) but you have to get of off the beaten track so to speak.
Fabulous people too.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Holiday in Éire on 12:54 - Apr 3 with 2069 viewsRs_Holy

thanks all :)
Holiday in Éire on 13:20 - Apr 3 with 2011 viewshubble

Holiday in Éire on 12:08 - Apr 3 by Boston

'Suck of Shannon'...Ireland has changed.

Well he actually said "Suck off Shannon"...

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Holiday in Éire on 14:09 - Apr 3 with 1926 viewsqpr_1968

stayed in the clare inn hotel, hired a car from shannon airport.
from the hotel on the first day, walked to ennis, and clarecastle{ never again} where we found a pub called magpies, owned by the landlord of the white horse{uxbridge road} back in the early 2000's.
plenty to do in clare, music capital of ireland.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Holiday in Éire on 14:12 - Apr 3 with 1916 viewsSonofpugwash

Waterville Co.Kerry nice little part of the world.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Holiday in Éire on 14:53 - Apr 3 with 1870 viewsMick_S

So, I said to Shannon...

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Holiday in Éire on 07:10 - Apr 4 with 1562 viewsPaddyhoops

Stick to the coast . Best to Fly to Knock . It’s a busy little airport now but still lacks the stress of Dublin.
Connemara , Kerry and Cork are stunning.
Bring plenty of Dosh. Ireland is expensive.
Holiday in Éire on 07:18 - Apr 4 with 1549 viewspaulparker

Holiday in Éire on 12:12 - Apr 3 by MrSheen

I would have to agree through gritted teeth that Killarney and Dingle in Kerry are too touristy for their own good, but Derrynane is one of the loveliest places on earth. The Ring of Kerry drive is clogged with buses in summer - top tip, do it clockwise, the buses go the other way - but the Wild Atlantic Way/Skellig Ring which follows the coast is epic. Derrynane to Waterville, across to Ballinskelligs, round past the Skelligs and over to Portmagee, across and around Valentia Island to Knightstown, putter back on the ferry to the Mainland. Heaven.

If you choose Kerry, you can fly to its very own International Airport, between Tralee and Killarney, from Luton or Stansted on Ryanair. Not recommended - Ballybunion. The coast is nice but the town is shabby.
[Post edited 3 Apr 2023 12:13]

Did Dingle in October , got to say the drive there was stunning, great views
The only problem was the place was littered with Yanks , someone on here mentioned Galway
And I would recommend that most definitely

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Holiday in Éire on 08:08 - Apr 4 with 1510 viewsdistortR

Holiday in Éire on 13:20 - Apr 3 by hubble

Well he actually said "Suck off Shannon"...

The existence, or not, of that 'f' makes sooooooooo much difference.
Holiday in Éire on 11:00 - Apr 4 with 1420 viewskingsburyR

Both my folks are Co. Mayo so I'm biased.

Fly into knock. Stay a night in Westport. Take the car down to Keem beach at the end of Achill Island. Regularly voted one of the best beaches on the planet!

Then head south around Clew Bay. Stop and climb Croagh Patrick if you like climbing mountains. Views are stunning on a clear day (good luck with that bit).

Drive down to Galway, visit Connemara. Then onto Clare, and Kerry!

Enjoy!

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024