Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Today's showing 17:28 - Aug 26 with 16300 viewsDaBurgh

With the heart, commitment and character shown today against the team that will more likely run away with the league, against 12 men I would say that we are not going to be relegated. Just like that, yep I said it, may not finish above 16th but we will be fine.
Today's showing on 17:46 - Aug 26 with 8592 viewsAntti_Heinola

Great sentiment and we should all be getting behind them, but worth noting we had only 3 first teamers not in the squad today (Dykes, Willock and Dunne). This squad has lots to like, but I fear it is way, way too thin to stand much of a chance in staying up. The fact we just lost two while playing well is more of a bad sign than a good one for me.

Bare bones.

Today's showing on 17:52 - Aug 26 with 8526 viewsDamo1962

Today's showing on 17:46 - Aug 26 by Antti_Heinola

Great sentiment and we should all be getting behind them, but worth noting we had only 3 first teamers not in the squad today (Dykes, Willock and Dunne). This squad has lots to like, but I fear it is way, way too thin to stand much of a chance in staying up. The fact we just lost two while playing well is more of a bad sign than a good one for me.

Lack of goals,as said by many...is going to cost us. Hopefully we won't be getting shellacked like we did at Watford on a regular basis...and that was the fear for me this season.Finishing 21st, is all I am hoping and expecting. Plus when we actually win a game, or God forbid two in a row - how special is that going to feel?😉
Today's showing on 17:54 - Aug 26 with 8522 viewsQPROslo

Yepp and there is still the business end of the transfer window to go and we'll surely sell one or two of those 1st teamers if we do get half decent offers. Just hope we have cheaper replacements lined up and the time to get them in.
Today's showing on 18:07 - Aug 26 with 8406 viewsdmm

As we've been saying for quite a while now that our first 11 is competitive but there's not a lot beyond that. I suspect Ainsworth knows this which is why he's hoping the training regime means players avoid suffering muscle injuries. Whether that works or not, who knows?
Today's showing on 18:28 - Aug 26 with 8233 viewsE15Hoop

Today's showing on 18:07 - Aug 26 by dmm

As we've been saying for quite a while now that our first 11 is competitive but there's not a lot beyond that. I suspect Ainsworth knows this which is why he's hoping the training regime means players avoid suffering muscle injuries. Whether that works or not, who knows?

I would love to know exactly what work is going on behind the scenes to fast-track the Development Squad for exactly this reason.
There may be a limit on how much extra physical training they can be given without crossing the line into fatigue, but what's to stop them doing a whole stack of additional classromm training on positional theory, nutrition and mindset to name just three obvious areas?
Surely the extra input would boost their motivational levels, as well as helping to ensure that they're as ready as possible when called upon?
Today's showing on 18:45 - Aug 26 with 8127 viewsLongsufferingR

My concern is the effect on the players' confidence of playing well and losing if this continues. I thought we were well worth a point today and the performances in the last three games have been miles away from the Watford shtshow.
Today's showing on 19:15 - Aug 26 with 7963 viewsqpr_1968

if we get into the habit of taking our chances, we'll be fine.
good for confidence you know.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Today's showing on 19:20 - Aug 26 with 7923 viewsFDC

I get that, and share that view to an extent, but -- i'd be a lot more worried if we'd just been playing at what looked like our best and not had any chances. But that wasn't the case today. I really like the look of Smyth and Chair cutting inside into the box, both could easily have scored on another day. Sinclair won't always get such a tough time from the ref and will get more chances (although I agree with the match thread comment about big strong strikers like him always getting judged harshly).

To be honest today was the most goals i've seen in us so far this season -- we looked good for more goals today than against Cardiff for e.g. -- despite only scoring one and losing. I don't know, I still don't really know how I think the season is going to go, and I desperately wanted us not to lose today (and I can't bear to hear another Ainsworth "It's all sunshine and bunny rabbits" interview after a defeat). And yet I'm not despondent.
[Post edited 26 Aug 2023 19:22]
Login to get fewer ads

Today's showing on 19:33 - Aug 26 with 7818 viewsE15Hoop

Today's showing on 19:20 - Aug 26 by FDC

I get that, and share that view to an extent, but -- i'd be a lot more worried if we'd just been playing at what looked like our best and not had any chances. But that wasn't the case today. I really like the look of Smyth and Chair cutting inside into the box, both could easily have scored on another day. Sinclair won't always get such a tough time from the ref and will get more chances (although I agree with the match thread comment about big strong strikers like him always getting judged harshly).

To be honest today was the most goals i've seen in us so far this season -- we looked good for more goals today than against Cardiff for e.g. -- despite only scoring one and losing. I don't know, I still don't really know how I think the season is going to go, and I desperately wanted us not to lose today (and I can't bear to hear another Ainsworth "It's all sunshine and bunny rabbits" interview after a defeat). And yet I'm not despondent.
[Post edited 26 Aug 2023 19:22]

They've just poted GA's post-match interview on the X account, and its actually pretty balanced. he siad that they need yo work on their finishing, and will be doing a lot of that this week.
OK, he did slightly lose the plot perhaps by suggesting we could be play-off contenders, but he was basically just clebrating how competitive we've been since Watford, and its nice to see everyone on the Forum agreeing with that assertion now.
Today's showing on 19:44 - Aug 26 with 7711 viewsDamo1962

Today's showing on 19:33 - Aug 26 by E15Hoop

They've just poted GA's post-match interview on the X account, and its actually pretty balanced. he siad that they need yo work on their finishing, and will be doing a lot of that this week.
OK, he did slightly lose the plot perhaps by suggesting we could be play-off contenders, but he was basically just clebrating how competitive we've been since Watford, and its nice to see everyone on the Forum agreeing with that assertion now.

If he thinks we could be Play- Off contenders...he needs to stay off the Bong. Start scoring some goals, and pick up some points at LR...that would be a good place to start. Play-Offs 🙄
Today's showing on 19:47 - Aug 26 with 7704 viewsloftus77

Yep, another sterling (heartening) effort, but - brutally speaking - how many points did we gain today compared to the 'Watford shtshow'?

Sadly, all that matters, and will matter. Whenever we're playing well, we need to glean point(s) to prevail, not plaudits.
[Post edited 26 Aug 2023 19:50]
Today's showing on 20:36 - Aug 26 with 7420 viewsSK_hoops

Today's showing on 19:47 - Aug 26 by loftus77

Yep, another sterling (heartening) effort, but - brutally speaking - how many points did we gain today compared to the 'Watford shtshow'?

Sadly, all that matters, and will matter. Whenever we're playing well, we need to glean point(s) to prevail, not plaudits.
[Post edited 26 Aug 2023 19:50]

True, but this has to be (on paper) one of the hardest games of the season. We were never really going to win this one.
Today's showing on 20:59 - Aug 26 with 7301 viewsCiderwithRsie

Too early to be pouring a big glass of optimism for me, and some of the continuing problems (such as ability to play the full 90, err, 100, minutes) ought to have been fixed pre-season. Still worried about the Willock and Chair situations (for different reasons.)

Still.

I do like this team; some of them (yes, you, Dozell) I am starting to like more than I used to. Really pleased for Kakay, who I've always thought a good trier and who is now starting to look like he deserves his place in the team as a regular starter - just two months ago it was hard to argue with the proposition that if he was a regular starter we were screwed.

Don't take the play-of thing too seriously, but "a man's reach should exceed his grasp" as some poet I had to learn at school said, I'm not going to complain about Ainsworth taking that approach, in fact I like it.
Today's showing on 21:34 - Aug 26 with 7133 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Sorry, we're going down. We keep saying how unlucky we were to lose - that's precisely what happens to a relegated team. Can't see anyone coming in this window so that's the squad. Not enough goals in the team and with howlers like their first today, it's going to be a long season.
Today's showing on 21:49 - Aug 26 with 7070 viewsRs_Holy

Today's showing on 21:34 - Aug 26 by Wegerles_Stairs

Sorry, we're going down. We keep saying how unlucky we were to lose - that's precisely what happens to a relegated team. Can't see anyone coming in this window so that's the squad. Not enough goals in the team and with howlers like their first today, it's going to be a long season.

have to say my big fear before this season started was the potential lack of goals... and so it is the case... it will kill us this season.
Today's showing on 22:13 - Aug 26 with 6951 viewsdanehoop

Today's showing on 21:49 - Aug 26 by Rs_Holy

have to say my big fear before this season started was the potential lack of goals... and so it is the case... it will kill us this season.

I think my fear was similar, but it was probably more that we were nor going to create many chances. In that respect I am already pleasantly surprised, there are definitely chances being created and we have been really unlucky not to have scored a few more.

In Armstrong we have a new striker to the league that other teams haven't yet seen much of or worked out to play against (beyond fouling him). That will change a bit as he gets more exposure, but he does seem to be developing more and more to his game each week. Today I was impressed by how he looked to look after himself a little more and chase around less compared to 2 weeks ago. I think we will end up doing a real number on another team soon because there is potentially goals in lots of parts of the team and Armstrong creates the space for others with his pace and presence.

Never knowingly understood

Today's showing on 22:28 - Aug 26 with 6884 viewsHammersmithR

We huffed and puffed today but didn’t look like winning that game. We are so abject going forward. I love Armstrong but never in a month of Sundays can he hold the ball up. The ball just keeps bouncing off him. We have scored 3 goals and none at home in 4 games. We have only bought one attacking player this summer and he’s scored naff all so far. We cannot rely on a 19 year old kid because our Scottish crock is injured yet again. And even when he’s back his goal ratio is terrible. We have fight but we have no quality to keep us up.
Today's showing on 22:34 - Aug 26 with 6868 viewsBlackCrowe

Yes i know that possession doesn't tell a proper story of how game has gone, but we have managed a range of 26% to 38% in our league matches so far but if it's going to be that way then...A) you need a fast team that can break and a fox in the box with those stats and B) you need incredible fitness levels and/or deep squad to play that way. We're lacking in both.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Today's showing on 22:34 - Aug 26 with 6861 viewsdaveB

I think we'll stay up with a bit to spare if we can continue with these kind of performances, the results will come imo. Played very well today and last weekend.
Today's showing on 22:46 - Aug 26 with 6791 viewsRangersw12

Today's showing on 22:34 - Aug 26 by daveB

I think we'll stay up with a bit to spare if we can continue with these kind of performances, the results will come imo. Played very well today and last weekend.

I agree but the Boro game does seem to be a big game now

We need to stop the rot and get a point up there
Today's showing on 22:47 - Aug 26 with 6786 viewsBlackCrowe

Today's showing on 22:34 - Aug 26 by daveB

Agree on 1st XI or even thirteen, bit too thin in my opinion to weather 36 games. I'm probably wrong though.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Today's showing on 22:47 - Aug 26 with 6785 viewsWhip_It

After a long period in freefall, we do seem to have turned some sort of corner, and will only improve as players (Fox, Cook, Colback particularly) reach full fitness. Our relative lack of goals is now more a question of luck than (as previously) lack of chances. Particularly impressive to me is that Ainsworth is starting to get the best out of marginal players like Kakay and Dozzell, and is not afraid to get the younger players involved - more than can be said about most of his predecessors.

The squad is thin, but that's the way it is while our FFP situation is so tight, and I'm much happier to see Ainsworth just getting on with it rather than bleating about needing extra players.
[Post edited 26 Aug 2023 22:48]
Today's showing on 22:49 - Aug 26 with 6772 viewsdaveB

Today's showing on 22:46 - Aug 26 by Rangersw12

I agree but the Boro game does seem to be a big game now

We need to stop the rot and get a point up there

Of course we need results but got a much better chance of getting them playing like this than what we were doing for the last 10 months. Seemed a clear gameplan with and without the ball today and players seemed to be enjoying it

I thought Paal, Colback, and Dozzell all had really good games for us
Today's showing on 22:49 - Aug 26 with 6767 viewsWhip_It

Today's showing on 22:28 - Aug 26 by HammersmithR

We huffed and puffed today but didn’t look like winning that game. We are so abject going forward. I love Armstrong but never in a month of Sundays can he hold the ball up. The ball just keeps bouncing off him. We have scored 3 goals and none at home in 4 games. We have only bought one attacking player this summer and he’s scored naff all so far. We cannot rely on a 19 year old kid because our Scottish crock is injured yet again. And even when he’s back his goal ratio is terrible. We have fight but we have no quality to keep us up.

I thought he held the ball up really well today
Today's showing on 22:50 - Aug 26 with 6759 viewsRangersw12

Today's showing on 22:49 - Aug 26 by daveB

Of course we need results but got a much better chance of getting them playing like this than what we were doing for the last 10 months. Seemed a clear gameplan with and without the ball today and players seemed to be enjoying it

I thought Paal, Colback, and Dozzell all had really good games for us

Thought Kakay was decent aswell
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024