Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
TV that hasn't aged well 11:50 - Sep 10 with 13871 viewsDaBurgh

To help pass the time until we are back in action next weekend, I propose a thread of TV stuff that we loved but really is just embarrassing now. I'll kick off with the following small selection.

MASH - I think it is still watchable, with some good story lines.
The wonder years - Still makes me guffaw, mainly because it is the era that I grew up in.
Cheers and Taxi - loved them both but my god they haven't aged well and I find them generally very embarrassing and unfunny now.
Frasier - excellent then, excellent now, could watch over and over.
Yes Minister - same as Fraisier.

And here are some series that I loved but should be too embarrassed to admit to it. The golden girls, The love boat, TJ Hooker, Fantasy island and the eternally nauseating Happy days.
TV that hasn't aged well on 19:55 - Sep 10 with 2686 viewsw7r

Love thy neighbour
Mind your language
TV that hasn't aged well on 20:06 - Sep 10 with 2658 viewsclareranger

Anyone remember Alexander the greatest. comedy around 1971 .Qpr fan on about rangers a lot.can it be seen somewhere.
TV that hasn't aged well on 20:33 - Sep 10 with 2590 viewsUPPERLOFTNZ

Love thy neighbour really hasnt aged well...

Football is Faith
Poll: OK.. Next season. Where do you think we will finish?

TV that hasn't aged well on 20:45 - Sep 10 with 2563 viewsslmrstid

More recent but I saw something on Reddit recently of people claiming The Inbetweeners would never be made today because of all the usual excuses by people who like to be outraged by things that don't exist.

Don't buy it myself. White Gold wasn't that dissimilar (same writers and actors for the most part...) and that was much more recent on Netflix.
TV that hasn't aged well on 21:12 - Sep 10 with 2489 viewsPunteR

Jim'll Fix It.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

TV that hasn't aged well on 21:21 - Sep 10 with 2483 viewsdanehoop

TV that hasn't aged well on 21:12 - Sep 10 by PunteR

Jim'll Fix It.

very not well.

Never knowingly understood

TV that hasn't aged well (n/t) on 21:49 - Sep 10 with 2439 viewsnumptydumpty

TV that hasn't aged well on 16:07 - Sep 10 by Pindarus

The Black and White Minstrel Show. Can't believe it staggered on till 1978 and there are still people around who think it was harmless fun and should be brought back.

[Post edited 10 Sep 2023 21:50]

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

TV that hasn't aged well on 23:28 - Sep 10 with 2315 viewsMaggsinho

The Black and White Minstrel Show. Can't believe it staggered on till 1978 and there are still people around who think it was harmless fun and should be brought back.

Well worth watching the David Harewood documentary on iPlayer about minstrelsy. Really gobsmacking to watch.
Login to get fewer ads

TV that hasn't aged well on 23:57 - Sep 10 with 2275 viewsBoston

A school mate of mine had a brother who was a B&W Minstrel. I thought it was odd then, let alone 50 years later.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

TV that hasn't aged well on 01:42 - Sep 11 with 2225 viewsSydneyRs

TV that hasn't aged well on 19:55 - Sep 10 by w7r

Love thy neighbour
Mind your language

Shows such as Love thy Neighbour and til death do us part actually did quite a good job of making bigots look like idiots.
[Post edited 11 Sep 2023 1:43]
TV that hasn't aged well on 06:51 - Sep 11 with 2144 viewsDaBurgh

TV that hasn't aged well on 01:42 - Sep 11 by SydneyRs

Shows such as Love thy Neighbour and til death do us part actually did quite a good job of making bigots look like idiots.

Well yeah I think that was the intention, but unfortunately I also think that a lot of idiots took the characters as roll models.
TV that hasn't aged well on 07:50 - Sep 11 with 2054 viewsRs_Holy

TV that hasn't aged well on 11:54 - Sep 10 by loftboy

They are showing the 6 million dollar man on one of the obscure channels at the moment, definitely not as good as I remember.

I was going to say the Six million Dollar Man (really terrible acting)... and I caught an episode of Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em the other day and it really was not funny and very slapstick.
On the flip side Starsky and Hutch still holds up really well.
TV that hasn't aged well on 09:12 - Sep 11 with 1960 viewsBrianMcCarthy

TV that hasn't aged well on 20:45 - Sep 10 by slmrstid

More recent but I saw something on Reddit recently of people claiming The Inbetweeners would never be made today because of all the usual excuses by people who like to be outraged by things that don't exist.

Don't buy it myself. White Gold wasn't that dissimilar (same writers and actors for the most part...) and that was much more recent on Netflix.

You do often hear that alright, sometimes about programmes that would definitely be made today.

You also sometimes hear the phrase "you wouldn't get away with that today", which really leaves the obvious hint that if we were "getting away" with something then it probably wasn't a good idea in the first place.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

TV that hasn't aged well on 09:15 - Sep 11 with 1944 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Watched a few eipsodes of "Colombo" recently and they've aged really well, except for the flares!

On the other side, M*A*S*H was one of my favourite ever programmes, but watching it now, while the quickfire gags are still excellent the plots and are a bit preachy and clunky.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

TV that hasn't aged well on 09:15 - Sep 11 with 1942 viewsSuperhoops2808

Magnum

I think the old series was great, but to be fair the recent one is pretty good too

Would love a remake of CHIPS, I loved that programme as a kid. Riding round on my Chopper bike pretending to be Larry Wilcox
TV that hasn't aged well on 09:40 - Sep 11 with 1891 viewsR_from_afar

TV that hasn't aged well on 01:42 - Sep 11 by SydneyRs

Yeah, the two wives in 'Love thy neighbour" actually got on really well and constantly exposed their other halves as brain dead, racist dinosaurs. Then there was that character Jacko who more or less only had one line: "I'll 'ave an 'alf".

"Captain Scarlet" was very progressive. A black guy in a highly responsible role and the fighter jets flown exclusively by women, oh, and Mikel Arteta making his acting debut as Captain Black.

I always think there's potential for a fabulous spoof:
- Angels Parsimony, Melancholy, Acrimony, Density and Ignominy
- Captains Puce, Brown, Cream and Magnolia, Lieutenant Aubergine.

Enough!

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

TV that hasn't aged well on 10:43 - Sep 11 with 1811 viewsguitarzan

If you think Love Thy Neighbour is bad try watching Spike Milligan in Curry and Chips on youtube
TV that hasn't aged well on 11:00 - Sep 11 with 1748 viewsMrSheen

Surely room on the Spectrum roster for Captains Peach and Avocado, and Angels Diversity, Equity and Inclusivity?
TV that hasn't aged well on 11:16 - Sep 11 with 1699 viewsTheChef

I suppose comedy shows are more likely to age less well.

I started watching Minder (having been too young to watch it first time round) and while of course it has dated in some ways I think it still stands up pretty well - and of course is a great way to reminisce about West London back in the day!

Hill Street Blues is another series on my list to watch, having missed it first time round.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

TV that hasn't aged well on 11:46 - Sep 11 with 1648 viewsMick_S

TV that hasn't aged well on 11:16 - Sep 11 by TheChef

I suppose comedy shows are more likely to age less well.

I started watching Minder (having been too young to watch it first time round) and while of course it has dated in some ways I think it still stands up pretty well - and of course is a great way to reminisce about West London back in the day!

Hill Street Blues is another series on my list to watch, having missed it first time round.

Minder is great.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

TV that hasn't aged well on 12:42 - Sep 11 with 1573 viewsR_from_afar

TV that hasn't aged well on 11:00 - Sep 11 by MrSheen

Surely room on the Spectrum roster for Captains Peach and Avocado, and Angels Diversity, Equity and Inclusivity?

Lieutenant Lilac is pleasingly alliterative, surely we can get that character included somehow?

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

TV that hasn't aged well on 13:08 - Sep 11 with 1502 viewsHamptonR

TV that hasn't aged well on 11:46 - Sep 11 by Mick_S

Minder is great.

Minder went downhill very quickly when Terry left and Ray came on the scene.
TV that hasn't aged well on 13:11 - Sep 11 with 1494 viewsrobith

TV that hasn't aged well on 09:12 - Sep 11 by BrianMcCarthy

You do often hear that alright, sometimes about programmes that would definitely be made today.

You also sometimes hear the phrase "you wouldn't get away with that today", which really leaves the obvious hint that if we were "getting away" with something then it probably wasn't a good idea in the first place.

"You wouldn't be able to make that today!" in a world where It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is in its 16th season
TV that hasn't aged well on 13:12 - Sep 11 with 1495 viewshantssi

TV that hasn't aged well on 06:51 - Sep 11 by DaBurgh

Well yeah I think that was the intention, but unfortunately I also think that a lot of idiots took the characters as roll models.

My dad knew Johnny Speight through golf who confirmed you were suppose to laugh at him not with him.
Unfortunately as you rightly some chose to use him as a role model!
TV that hasn't aged well on 13:21 - Sep 11 with 1477 viewsrobith

As TheChef mentions - comedy is likely to age quicker than other types of show as so much of it is based on cultural touchpoints and references of the day. Not to go too psychology on it but interesting that a couple of the ones people have said have stayed strong like Frasier or Yes Minister are built on classic experiences and character archetypes - the middle class snob who can't relate to average people, the slightly inept government minister. I recently caught a season 4 episode of South Park and genuinely had to Google wtf was going on because I couldn't remember any of the references.

Drama wise, older stuff tends to be far more slow moving. Been rewatching Star Trek Deep Space 9 - it takes 2 season to introduce the primary antagonist, 4 to get the Klingons in, the main plot gets proper going in 5 and 6 & 7 are basically one long arc . The latest show Discovery by contrast, by midway in S3 the crew has fought and won a war with the Klingons, gone to the Mirror Universe and sorted that out, solved a time travel conundrum, defeated a universe killing AI, travelled 1,000 years into the future and refounded the Federation. It gives you whiplash!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024