Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Reckoning (BBC1) 11:04 - Oct 11 with 3905 viewsCamberleyR

Anyone watching this at the moment or watched it in full on iPlayer?

Uncomfortable viewing at times but Steve Coogan is scarily brilliant as Savile, he's nailed him to a tee with the voice, mannerisms even his walk.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

The Reckoning (BBC1) on 11:34 - Oct 11 with 3805 viewsChrisNW6

Never liked the man after he failed to fix it for me to Ice skate with Torvill and Dean
The Reckoning (BBC1) on 11:57 - Oct 11 with 3728 viewsCateLeBonR

I’ve not seen this yet but do intend giving it a go.

I did watch ‘The Tiktok Effect’ documentary last night and thought it was very good. I’ve managed to avoid tiktok for the most part so far and had no idea about most of the cases discussed in the programme. Except for the Oxford Street shop looting, which I thought was a bit overblown at the time.
The Reckoning (BBC1) on 12:05 - Oct 11 with 3687 viewsJuzzie

Just finished Ep 2, I'll watch 3 & 4 tonight.

This ties in quite well with the documentary about him from a year or so ago.

It's amazing how many people were aware he was a wrong 'un but it just couldn't be proven due to the times we were living in back then (as well as no social media so very little platforms to make things public) and any attempt from children or parents to report it were just covered up by the media, authorities etc.
He never denied 'enjoying time' with the ladies, but he maintained they were always of legal age, even if the age gap was uncomfortable. This helped him cover up the ones who were under age. Then, of course, the girls who were of legal age, how much consent was involved? he certainly came across very predatory.

All his charity work, schmoozing with royalty etc was just a front to make him untouchable, and it worked. Quite a nasty person really. Kept saying "this is me, this is Jimmy Savile". Well, it wasn't. It was an act, a charade.

Rot in hell.

edit: this is how powerful he was..... getting away with this, as well as saying "a fella could get used to this", live on TV to millions and when the girl complained to the BBC they told her to get lost.

His constant and blatant perving surely was uncomfortable even back then?

[Post edited 11 Oct 2023 14:22]
The Reckoning (BBC1) on 12:33 - Oct 11 with 3565 viewsNorthernr

I'm sure I'll watch it at some point but I feel very uncomfortable about the BBC doing a drama on a scandal they were horribly complicit in. Particularly as them burying the Newsnight investigation is only mentioned in the prologue captions at the end. It's ITV Studios producing it and selling it abroad so at least BBC Studios aren't profiting off it, but still, doesn't sit right with me.
The Reckoning (BBC1) on 12:36 - Oct 11 with 3530 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Going to watch on catchup this weekend.

I read an article by Mark Lawson who would watch Leeds in the 70s. He was at the ground when Leeds scored, and as the ground was going nuts someone shouted 'Don't die lads or you'll end up in Leeds mortuary and be f#cked by Jimmy Saville'.

It was known even back then he was a wrongun.
The Reckoning (BBC1) on 12:44 - Oct 11 with 3459 viewsHayesender

The Reckoning (BBC1) on 12:36 - Oct 11 by Wilkinswatercarrier

I read an article by Mark Lawson who would watch Leeds in the 70s. He was at the ground when Leeds scored, and as the ground was going nuts someone shouted 'Don't die lads or you'll end up in Leeds mortuary and be f#cked by Jimmy Saville'.

They all knew, from the government to the royal family. Its doesn't take Einstein to work out why it was all hushed up

Poll: Shamima Beghum

The Reckoning (BBC1) on 13:17 - Oct 11 with 3322 viewsTheChef

The Reckoning (BBC1) on 12:33 - Oct 11 by Northernr

I'm sure I'll watch it at some point but I feel very uncomfortable about the BBC doing a drama on a scandal they were horribly complicit in. Particularly as them burying the Newsnight investigation is only mentioned in the prologue captions at the end. It's ITV Studios producing it and selling it abroad so at least BBC Studios aren't profiting off it, but still, doesn't sit right with me.

Agreed.

Watching the Louis Theroux programme again, knowing what we know now, is probably the most disturbing of the lot.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

The Reckoning (BBC1) on 13:22 - Oct 11 with 3298 viewsdaveB

probably better than them not showing it and trying to forget it happened
It's very well put together, Coogan is brilliant in it

You see these real crime ones made all the times, ITV one at the moment about the Yorkshire Ripper
Login to get fewer ads

The Reckoning (BBC1) on 13:43 - Oct 11 with 3195 viewsR_from_afar

The Reckoning (BBC1) on 12:05 - Oct 11 by Juzzie

Just finished Ep 2, I'll watch 3 & 4 tonight.

This ties in quite well with the documentary about him from a year or so ago.

It's amazing how many people were aware he was a wrong 'un but it just couldn't be proven due to the times we were living in back then (as well as no social media so very little platforms to make things public) and any attempt from children or parents to report it were just covered up by the media, authorities etc.
He never denied 'enjoying time' with the ladies, but he maintained they were always of legal age, even if the age gap was uncomfortable. This helped him cover up the ones who were under age. Then, of course, the girls who were of legal age, how much consent was involved? he certainly came across very predatory.

All his charity work, schmoozing with royalty etc was just a front to make him untouchable, and it worked. Quite a nasty person really. Kept saying "this is me, this is Jimmy Savile". Well, it wasn't. It was an act, a charade.

Rot in hell.

edit: this is how powerful he was..... getting away with this, as well as saying "a fella could get used to this", live on TV to millions and when the girl complained to the BBC they told her to get lost.

His constant and blatant perving surely was uncomfortable even back then?

[Post edited 11 Oct 2023 14:22]

In the 1980s, I was going out with a trainee nurse based at a hospital Saville used to promote and champion.

One day, I saw his Rolls in the hospital car park and mentioned his good works to my girlfriend. She made it very clear to me that the nurses were not at all keen on him.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

The Reckoning (BBC1) on 15:29 - Oct 11 with 2992 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Yeah, have 'enjoyed' it so far and plan to watch the remaining two episodes on iPlayer but it is a bit odd to watch it on the channel that helped to enable him. I'm not convinced much would be different now anyway, as evidenced by Russell Brand's behaviour while he worked there. The line about David Bowie, John Peel et al felt misguided - almost like a mea culpa excusing their role in it.
The Reckoning (BBC1) on 15:31 - Oct 11 with 2993 viewsdmm

I watched the first episode. Coogan is excellent and I found it a well produced piece. However, I doubt whether it adds anything to what is already known about Savile and I'm sure there will be questions over why it has been made.

I can't watch the other episodes. In my old age I find I've got less resilience to the evils in the world. I know a lot of what goes on around the world, and not just in thi country, but I've seen so much suffering and pain that these days it just hurts too much.
The Reckoning (BBC1) on 16:29 - Oct 11 with 2807 viewsbosh67

I know what you mean. It almost feels like a weird BBC apology but with a whole heap of 'but he did other sh*t elsewhere' as some kind of get out clause.

Coogan is brilliant. He usually is at most things and he inhabits the creepiness and evil of Saville. Excellent supporting cast at all levels.

It's almost unbearably uncomfortable to watch though. You do feel like you need a bath after each episode to wash away the awfulness of him.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

The Reckoning (BBC1) on 20:48 - Oct 11 with 2548 viewsMalintabuk

Just watched the first episode and have a feeling I will have to watch the rest on my own
Mrs MinT gave up when he was in the hospital ward as the jester.... won't spoil it, but as a nurse herself she had enough and was sick watching it
As mentioned Coogan is mesmerising in the role and portrays the man as evil incarnate
The Reckoning (BBC1) on 21:30 - Oct 11 with 2465 viewswombat

The Reckoning (BBC1) on 20:48 - Oct 11 by Malintabuk

Just watched the first episode and have a feeling I will have to watch the rest on my own
Mrs MinT gave up when he was in the hospital ward as the jester.... won't spoil it, but as a nurse herself she had enough and was sick watching it
As mentioned Coogan is mesmerising in the role and portrays the man as evil incarnate

My wife used to work at Stoke mandeville a while back , his office is now a storage cupboard no body liked to visit even now .

Poll: which is your favouite foot

The Reckoning (BBC1) on 21:42 - Oct 11 with 2446 viewsCLAREMAN1995

The Reckoning (BBC1) on 20:48 - Oct 11 by Malintabuk

I posted this before and its still sickening now but Saville the scum had his own set of keys to move freely around the hospitals full of young and helpless girls .
Not being exposed until after his death is another cruel blow for all his victims.Imagine him being stripped of all his titles ,have to listen to witness after witness give impact statements then off to prison to die that would have been the ultimate punishment
The Reckoning (BBC1) on 21:53 - Oct 11 with 2410 viewsQPRSteve

I watched the first episode and like others 'Im not sure I want to watch any more.

I had a mate who was in Stoke Mandeville for around six months. He said Saville treated the nurses like his own personal skivvies and acted like he owned the place. Seemed to be detested by most of the staff.
The Reckoning (BBC1) on 22:03 - Oct 11 with 2381 viewsted_hendrix

The Reckoning (BBC1) on 21:30 - Oct 11 by wombat

My wife used to work at Stoke mandeville a while back , his office is now a storage cupboard no body liked to visit even now .

I won't watch I can't If I'm honest.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

The Reckoning (BBC1) on 22:27 - Oct 11 with 2319 viewsLogman

The evidence points to him being a serial abuser, it's true. But I am of the view that abuse within families by immediate relations is a problem which society has and which has much more widespread effects and which somehow needs to be solved.
The Reckoning (BBC1) on 22:30 - Oct 11 with 2300 viewsHayesender

I saw a rumour a few years ago almost saying he may have helped Peter Sutcliffe carry out some of his murders.

After watching this, nothing would surprise me about that man

The Reckoning (BBC1) on 09:34 - Oct 12 with 2064 viewsA40Bosh

Watched it over two nights.
By the end of last episode I felt totally sickened.
No words to describe him.

Masterclass by Coogan.

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

The Reckoning (BBC1) on 11:34 - Oct 12 with 1934 viewsHayesender

The Reckoning (BBC1) on 09:34 - Oct 12 by A40Bosh

Watched it over two nights.
By the end of last episode I felt totally sickened.
No words to describe him.

Masterclass by Coogan.

Yep, he was superb. He really made you think you were watching Savile himself.

Apparently he's taken up learning the didgeridoo for his next role

The Reckoning (BBC1) on 11:46 - Oct 12 with 1893 viewsLordPork

The Reckoning (BBC1) on 12:36 - Oct 11 by Wilkinswatercarrier

I'm afraid I can pre-date that,

1966/67 at school our Headmistress was outlining Saville and his behaviour in a major hotel in Leeds.

Bearing in time at this time he was all over TotP and was spoken about every time the program played, Thursdays by memory.

On this occasion everyone was in the hotel lobby and a large sweeping staircase led up to the 1st floor landing area.

Saville appeared and looking down to receptionist shouted " send me up some more f****king girls"

I've remember being shocked, not just at the language used but also the fact our Headmistress repeated it !!

much later my mother was on a P&O cruise with her friend
we thought nothing of it until her passing, rummaging through her stuff there was this pack of photo's. There was dear Jim, gurning as he used to at the camera, his arms around my mother and her best friend...I despair
The Reckoning (BBC1) on 12:22 - Oct 13 with 1623 viewsloftboy

Finished watching it this morning, heart goes out to his victims, shame on those in authority that knew and didn’t do anything .
Didn’t realise he also interfered with the deceased.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024