Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Chair 19:59 - Nov 7 with 4160 viewsdaveB

Is he suspended for Saturday?
Not seen it confirmed on the offish yet but sure that is 5 bookings
Chair on 20:38 - Nov 7 with 4016 viewsderbyhoop

Both Armstrong and Smyth are on 4. Cut off is 19 games.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Chair on 21:00 - Nov 7 with 3919 viewsChrisNW6

Yes, defo on 5 yellows and has a one match ban. Not sure how many cards were for tackles versus petulance, he will be a big loss. I remember the last time we played at home without him, it was a car crash for possession. Need a big game from Willock as an outlet to keep hold of the ball.
Chair on 21:51 - Nov 7 with 3736 viewsdaveB

Chair on 21:00 - Nov 7 by ChrisNW6

Yes, defo on 5 yellows and has a one match ban. Not sure how many cards were for tackles versus petulance, he will be a big loss. I remember the last time we played at home without him, it was a car crash for possession. Need a big game from Willock as an outlet to keep hold of the ball.

I'd bring in Colback for him and move Willock to the left, leave rest of the team the same
Chair on 21:52 - Nov 7 with 3732 viewsnumptydumpty

Be interesting to see how we do without him.

Chance for one of Willock, Dozell, Kohli or Richards to step up.

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Biggest Nobhead of the year

Chair on 22:07 - Nov 7 with 3643 viewsdmm

Chair on 21:51 - Nov 7 by daveB

I'd bring in Colback for him and move Willock to the left, leave rest of the team the same

I didn't think Smyth did all that well last Saturday playing a bit deeper. I think Colback would be better going into midfield so Smyth could then move up into the front 3.
Chair on 22:07 - Nov 7 with 3642 viewsManinBlack

Chair will be a big loss in terms of creativity but then our forwards would probably waste any chances he might provide them. I see Rotherham got a decent point tonight against Ipswich.
Chair on 22:15 - Nov 7 with 3597 viewsdaveB

Chair on 22:07 - Nov 7 by dmm

I didn't think Smyth did all that well last Saturday playing a bit deeper. I think Colback would be better going into midfield so Smyth could then move up into the front 3.

he did OK, lovely cross in for Dykes before he went off, I'd stick with him for now, his pace is a real asset for us
Chair on 22:51 - Nov 7 with 3457 viewsdavman

Chair on 21:00 - Nov 7 by ChrisNW6

"he will be a big loss". Yep.

Although there are plenty on here who still think that he holds on to the ball too long and is not as good as we think he is.

They'll see after witnessing what we are like without him on Saturday - THE most stationary (or offside) forward players the league will have seen. Even Rob Dickie will be able to keep up.

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Login to get fewer ads

Chair on 23:10 - Nov 7 with 3423 viewsParkRoyalR

Chair on 22:51 - Nov 7 by davman

"he will be a big loss". Yep.

Although there are plenty on here who still think that he holds on to the ball too long and is not as good as we think he is.

They'll see after witnessing what we are like without him on Saturday - THE most stationary (or offside) forward players the league will have seen. Even Rob Dickie will be able to keep up.

We went on a good run when he was last away on AFCON altho Willock was carrying the team at that time,

Regardless of our respective views on whether he is our attack or whether he slows down our attacking play, the market will ultimately value him as a player.
Chair on 00:06 - Nov 8 with 3306 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I’d drop all the passing, put three defensive midfielders on, and get Kakay to play it long to Dykes.

Chair on 00:07 - Nov 8 with 3306 viewsdaveB

Chair on 23:10 - Nov 7 by ParkRoyalR

We went on a good run when he was last away on AFCON altho Willock was carrying the team at that time,

Regardless of our respective views on whether he is our attack or whether he slows down our attacking play, the market will ultimately value him as a player.

When you look at the performances in those games though we were pretty lucky in a fair few of them especially Bristol City and Coventry away
Chair on 00:11 - Nov 8 with 3279 viewsstainrods_elbow

Chairless or not, we simply have to find a way to win on Saturday - defeat is unthinkable, and could see us, what, 9 points adrift?

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Chair on 00:16 - Nov 8 with 3285 viewsVancouverHoop

It'll very interesting to see how our midfield lines up. I don't think he'll start Richards. Willock needs the minutes, but he hasn't found his game yet, and without Chair might look even more lost. OTOH Colback and Dozzell seem a rather defensive pairing in what, I think is a bit of a "statement game" for our new coach.
Chair on 01:02 - Nov 8 with 3232 viewsLazyFan

It will be Smyth/Uncle in for Chair and the rest the same.
Willock will defo start.

InTheKnow told me on the down low, I could prove it to you but then I would have to maintain SikSok accounts.

zzzzzzzzzz

Chair on 03:22 - Nov 8 with 3165 viewsHAYESBOY

My guess it will be Dozzell that might play further forward and a middle 3 of Field, Colback and EDB.

Smells like a trout farm in here

Chair on 08:54 - Nov 8 with 2761 viewsPhilmyRs

Big loss losing Chair. Bringing Collback into the team would be my only change. I know we need a win but see Saturday as one we can't afford to lose. A draw isn't the worst result in the world given Bristol will have new manager bounce etc. and think Willock, to an extent Richards, are still someway off being decent replacements. In the case of Willock, I think in 2-3 weeks we'll see a much better player. Richards I have no idea.
Chair on 09:57 - Nov 8 with 2662 viewsParkRoyalR

Chair on 00:07 - Nov 8 by daveB

When you look at the performances in those games though we were pretty lucky in a fair few of them especially Bristol City and Coventry away

Agree on Coventry game, but its amazing how lucky you can be when you move the ball quickly and get more than 1 player to attack the penalty area; seem to recall it was Adomah almost attacking the near post from the right wing for the winner in that game.

Smyth showed against Rotherham you only need to take 1 or 2 touches, and don't need to beat you're man, to put in what should have been a goal-assisting cross.

Chair has done this on occasion but for all the possession he has, and his undoubted ability, he needs to do what Smyth did 3 or 4 times per game rather than 3 or 4 time per season. We're likely to get more goals this way than screamers like Saturday's.
Chair on 09:59 - Nov 8 with 2664 viewsBklynRanger

Chair on 03:22 - Nov 8 by HAYESBOY

My guess it will be Dozzell that might play further forward and a middle 3 of Field, Colback and EDB.

Was thinking similar. Not having Chair will be a loss of course but I'm interested to see what he does having Colback and Dozzell back and now with WIllock very much back on the menu too.
Chair on 12:04 - Nov 8 with 2478 viewsHayesender

Let's not forget both Smyth and Cannon limped off on Saturday, so fingers crossed their both OK, especially Cannon

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Chair on 12:20 - Nov 8 with 2419 viewsRBlock

Chair on 21:52 - Nov 7 by numptydumpty

Be interesting to see how we do without him.

Chance for one of Willock, Dozell, Kohli or Richards to step up.

Kohli or Kolli? Got cricket on the brain, Numpty?
Chair on 22:35 - Nov 8 with 1956 viewsbaz_qpr

Having just listened to that 1 hour Scandinavian podcast on Cifuentes and his tactical approaches He talks a lot about the opportunity to create space and the need for pace. Without Chair I would say racing certainty that either Smyth will play wing or 10 or Armstrong will play either as a nine or wide left. Also he seems to be a big fan of the false 9 which is apparently is Kolli's best position.

I think it will be

----------Begovic

Cannon, Cook Dunne Paal

-----------Field------------

-----Colback Dixon-Bonner (orDozzell)

Willock------------------Armstrong

-----------Dykes/Kolli
[Post edited 8 Nov 2023 22:36]
Chair on 22:40 - Nov 8 with 1934 viewsdaveB

Chair on 09:57 - Nov 8 by ParkRoyalR

Agree on Coventry game, but its amazing how lucky you can be when you move the ball quickly and get more than 1 player to attack the penalty area; seem to recall it was Adomah almost attacking the near post from the right wing for the winner in that game.

Smyth showed against Rotherham you only need to take 1 or 2 touches, and don't need to beat you're man, to put in what should have been a goal-assisting cross.

Chair has done this on occasion but for all the possession he has, and his undoubted ability, he needs to do what Smyth did 3 or 4 times per game rather than 3 or 4 time per season. We're likely to get more goals this way than screamers like Saturday's.

Chair certainly has plenty of things he can improve on, you do need movement and players in the box for those early crosses though, too often our strikers are on their heels and by the time they react to an early cross it's been cleared
Chair on 09:51 - Nov 9 with 1728 viewsParkRoyalR

Chair on 22:40 - Nov 8 by daveB

Chair certainly has plenty of things he can improve on, you do need movement and players in the box for those early crosses though, too often our strikers are on their heels and by the time they react to an early cross it's been cleared

Dave, I completely disagree on this for a few reasons,

Austin proved at the weekend, albeit in a lower division, that his movement in the box remains 2nd to none and yet I recall 1 or 2 early crosses into him from Chair (Everton in Cup 1st Goal being stand-out),

Austin and more so Gray were always berating Chair (and others) for the lack of the early quick ball, as in fairness to Gray, this played to his strengths,

Dykes has proven with Scotland he moves early (looks at the highlights of the goals he's scored for them) and has done so consistently for us since Austin imo (and I'm critical of his professionalism but not his goal poaching) coached and improved his movement in the box (space he created to receive cut-back when EDB hit post on Saturday is text-book Austin), have a look at Dykes goals and headers on targets on the 2min Sky Highlights from this seasons games and you see a player on his toes, anticipating (just one example being late chance at Leeds),

Dykes movement for Swansea equaliser was also excellent and similar to Leeds very late in the game, and he's still moving and giving options (I really don't think Chair plays that Swansea cross any other time in that game until he had just run out of gas and could'nt take anymore touches or try to beat his man any more)

I think Beale recognised this hence his comment and I think the one fix that would give us the greatest return on chances created (and hopefully goals scored) is getting one of our best players (only behind a fully fit Willock imo) to play the ball early (look at the simple quick pass from Eze at the weekend to create Palace's 2nd goal - no chance Chair sees or plays that pass)

Don't mean to go heavy on Chair, but if we are to get out of this and if he's ever to get even a £5m+ move, someone has to coach this 1st time pass or cross into him, and quickly.
Chair on 11:05 - Nov 9 with 1604 viewsAntti_Heinola

Chair on 09:51 - Nov 9 by ParkRoyalR

Dave, I completely disagree on this for a few reasons,

Austin proved at the weekend, albeit in a lower division, that his movement in the box remains 2nd to none and yet I recall 1 or 2 early crosses into him from Chair (Everton in Cup 1st Goal being stand-out),

Austin and more so Gray were always berating Chair (and others) for the lack of the early quick ball, as in fairness to Gray, this played to his strengths,

Dykes has proven with Scotland he moves early (looks at the highlights of the goals he's scored for them) and has done so consistently for us since Austin imo (and I'm critical of his professionalism but not his goal poaching) coached and improved his movement in the box (space he created to receive cut-back when EDB hit post on Saturday is text-book Austin), have a look at Dykes goals and headers on targets on the 2min Sky Highlights from this seasons games and you see a player on his toes, anticipating (just one example being late chance at Leeds),

Dykes movement for Swansea equaliser was also excellent and similar to Leeds very late in the game, and he's still moving and giving options (I really don't think Chair plays that Swansea cross any other time in that game until he had just run out of gas and could'nt take anymore touches or try to beat his man any more)

I think Beale recognised this hence his comment and I think the one fix that would give us the greatest return on chances created (and hopefully goals scored) is getting one of our best players (only behind a fully fit Willock imo) to play the ball early (look at the simple quick pass from Eze at the weekend to create Palace's 2nd goal - no chance Chair sees or plays that pass)

Don't mean to go heavy on Chair, but if we are to get out of this and if he's ever to get even a £5m+ move, someone has to coach this 1st time pass or cross into him, and quickly.

I think Austin really improved Chair when he came and he did start releasing the ball quicker.
I'm not sure it's really something that can be levelled at him this season. Dykes's movement is poor, but on the flipside, he's often the only person in the area, marked by 4 or 5 defenders. I don't really blame chair for not pumping hopeful balls in there on the off chance Dykes wins a header. If we can load the box more, I think we'll see Chair play more balls in.

Bare bones.

Chair on 11:33 - Nov 9 with 1522 viewsParkRoyalR

Chair on 11:05 - Nov 9 by Antti_Heinola

I think Austin really improved Chair when he came and he did start releasing the ball quicker.
I'm not sure it's really something that can be levelled at him this season. Dykes's movement is poor, but on the flipside, he's often the only person in the area, marked by 4 or 5 defenders. I don't really blame chair for not pumping hopeful balls in there on the off chance Dykes wins a header. If we can load the box more, I think we'll see Chair play more balls in.

Antti,

I get you're a big fan of Chair and I'm a big ban of his work-rate and bravery in always showing for the ball and it took something for Ainsworth to knock the desire out of him as until recently I never ever saw him give up,

And I agree, nothing can be levelled at him this season as it was clear from Colback etc in recent games no-one had the first clue what the game-plan was,

But...count how many 1st time passes (or crosses) Chair plays on Saturday and count how many touches he takes on receiving the ball, on average I'd say 5 or 6....this should be half that and this wasted time is crucial in our transition from defence to attack, as Chair's invariably the 'receiver' for the out-ball when we transition from defence to attack,

With Willocks drop-off (for whatever reason) Chair is our best player, but if we're a selling club and the best offer we've had of late is £2m for Dykes, you can see a fundamental fault-line at our club, in that we are not improving our players and cannot even change a most basic flaw in our best player to solicit even one bid for £3m+.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024