Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
U'sual Champions League: Week 2 and round-up 18:29 - Feb 21 with 1044 viewswessex_exile

So anyone who didn't fancy the home teams in Week 1 will have done pretty well with the results as they turned out, but not surprisingly no one got even close to PSG's result at Bayer Leverkusen.

Group A
--------------
All very close, with no spot-ons for any. Gerry moves to the top with the away wins for PSG and Atletico Madrid, yours truly scraped a point with Barca's win at the Etihad, but Coomster will be kicking himself for not going away on any of the four. Still, early days and plenty of points to play for.

1) Gerry...........0/2...2pts
2) Wessex.......0/1...1pt
3) Coomster....0/0...0pts

Group B
--------------
Not surprisingly, the outstanding performance of the round is current trophy holder MFB with a spot-on and three more outcomes. Sevebalo did well to keep in touch with three outcomes of his own, only missing out on the PSG demolition of Bayer Leverkusen, and Pete likewise did well to keep in touch with consecutive outcomes for the top two draws - but both will do well to overhaul MFB even with 12 more games to go..

1) MFB...........1/3...6pts
2) Sevebalo...0/3...3pts
3) Pete............0/2...2pts

Group C
--------------
With a spot-on for the Arsenal home defeat and an outcome for PSG's result, BFG takes a 2pt lead at the top of the group, ahead of Ethics with outcomes for exactly the same two games - in fact but for Mueller's very late second for Bayern Munich, the top two in this group would have been reversed. Thrillseeker also spotted the PSG away win, which keeps him in touch with Ethics and next round qualification.

1) BFG.................1/1...4pts
2) Ethics.............0/2...2pts
3) Thrillseeker...0/1...1pt

Group D
--------------
Well so much for the Group of Death, runaway leaders of HGPL Premier League Gate and HGPL League 1 Noah could only manage an outcome each (PSG and Bayern Munich respectively), leaving Guerno to climb to the top with the Man C v Barca result spot-on.

1) GSY.......1/0...3pts
=2) Gate....0/1...1pt
=2) Noah...0/1...1pt

Next fixtures as follows (and do note the earlier ko for Zenit's game):
TUE 25 FEB 2014 - CHAMPIONS LEAGUE
Zenit St Petersburg v Borussia Dortmund 17:00
Olympiakos v Man Utd 19:45

WED 26 FEB 2014 - CHAMPIONS LEAGUE
FC Schalke 04 v Real Madrid 19:45
Galatasaray v Chelsea 19:45
[Post edited 22 Feb 2014 9:11]

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

U'sual Champions League: Week 2 and round-up on 20:51 - Feb 21 with 734 viewsBarsidepete

excellent round-up, Wes:)

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

U'sual Champions League: Week 2 and round-up on 09:19 - Feb 22 with 721 viewswessex_exile

Zenit St Petersburg v Borussia Dortmund 17:00 1-2
Olympiakos v Man Utd 19:45 0-2

FC Schalke 04 v Real Madrid 19:45 1-3
Galatasaray v Chelsea 19:45 0-1

Up the U's

U'sual Champions League: Week 2 and round-up on 16:38 - Feb 22 with 704 viewsBarsidepete

U'sual Champions League: Week 2 and round-up on 09:19 - Feb 22 by wessex_exile

Zenit St Petersburg v Borussia Dortmund 17:00 1-2

Galatasaray v Chelsea 19:45 0-1

Wessex, could you please clarify, do only group winners advance to the semis or is there a quarterfinal top 8?

If only four move on then why not have a Europa League 5-8 who compete for a less glamorous final?:D I mean what the heck

U'sual Champions League: Week 2 and round-up on 17:21 - Feb 22 with 700 viewswessex_exile

U'sual Champions League: Week 2 and round-up on 16:38 - Feb 22 by Barsidepete

Wessex, could you please clarify, do only group winners advance to the semis or is there a quarterfinal top 8?

If only four move on then why not have a Europa League 5-8 who compete for a less glamorous final?:D I mean what the heck

Top two of each group go through to quarters Pete, into two mini-leagues of 4. Top two of each mini-league make up the semifinalists.

Up the U's

U'sual Champions League: Week 2 and round-up on 17:49 - Feb 22 with 697 viewsBFG

Zenit St Petersburg v Borussia Dortmund 17:00 0-0
Olympiakos v Man Utd 19:45 1-1

FC Schalke 04 v Real Madrid 19:45 0-2
Galatasaray v Chelsea 19:45 1-2
U'sual Champions League: Week 2 and round-up (n/t) (n/t) on 07:29 - Feb 23 with 677 viewsGate16

Zenit St Petersburg v Borussia Dortmund 17:00 0-2
[Post edited 23 Feb 2014 7:32]
U'sual Champions League: Week 2 and round-up on 07:30 - Feb 23 with 676 viewsGate16

Galatasaray v Chelsea 19:45 0-2
U'sual Champions League: Week 2 and round-up on 15:47 - Feb 23 with 648 viewsBarsidepete

U'sual Champions League: Week 2 and round-up on 17:21 - Feb 22 by wessex_exile

Top two of each group go through to quarters Pete, into two mini-leagues of 4. Top two of each mini-league make up the semifinalists.

Ok cool. So two Group winners v 2nd in the other two groups to determine the finalists (one or two leg semi)? ... or top two from a group of four advance to the final?
[Post edited 23 Feb 2014 15:50]

Login to get fewer ads

U'sual Champions League: Week 2 and round-up on 16:26 - Feb 23 with 638 viewsnoah4x4

1 - 3 Zenit St Petersburg v Borussia Dortmund
0 - 3 Olympiakos v Man Utd

0 - 2 FC Schalke 04 v Real Madrid
1 - 3 Galatasaray v Chelsea
U'sual Champions League: Week 2 and round-up on 19:17 - Feb 23 with 630 viewsMadeira163

Zenit St Petersburg v Borussia Dortmund 0-1
Olympiakos v Man Utd 2-2

FC Schalke 04 v Real Madrid 0-2
Galatasaray v Chelsea 1-1
U'sual Champions League: Week 2 and round-up on 21:13 - Feb 23 with 623 viewsgerry_us

Zenit St Petersburg 1 Borussia Dortmund 2
Olympiakos 1 Manchester United 1

FC Schalke 1 Real Madrid 3
Galatasaray 1 Chelsea 1

Protecting my enormous lead!
U'sual Champions League: Week 2 and round-up on 21:57 - Feb 23 with 622 viewswessex_exile

U'sual Champions League: Week 2 and round-up on 15:47 - Feb 23 by Barsidepete

Ok cool. So two Group winners v 2nd in the other two groups to determine the finalists (one or two leg semi)? ... or top two from a group of four advance to the final?
[Post edited 23 Feb 2014 15:50]

Hi Pete - as before, the next round mini-leagues are made up as follows:
Group 1: Winner A, Runner-Up B, Winner C, Runner-up D
Group 2: Runner-up A, Winner B, Runner-up C and Winner D

Top two from each mini-league go into a hat for the 2-legged U'sual Champions League semi-final draw, to predict the actual Champions League 2-legged semi-finals.

Up the U's

U'sual Champions League: Week 2 and round-up on 22:28 - Feb 23 with 620 viewsgerry_us

U'sual Champions League: Week 2 and round-up on 21:57 - Feb 23 by wessex_exile

Hi Pete - as before, the next round mini-leagues are made up as follows:
Group 1: Winner A, Runner-Up B, Winner C, Runner-up D
Group 2: Runner-up A, Winner B, Runner-up C and Winner D

Top two from each mini-league go into a hat for the 2-legged U'sual Champions League semi-final draw, to predict the actual Champions League 2-legged semi-finals.

He's just a bit concerned Wessex as currently he is BOTTOM of his group...
U'sual Champions League: Week 2 and round-up on 12:15 - Feb 24 with 614 viewsthrillseeker

Zenit St Petersburg v Borussia Dortmund 2-1
Olympiakos v Man Utd 1-1

FC Schalke 04 v Real Madrid 0-3
Galatasaray v Chelsea 1-2
U'sual Champions League: Week 2 and round-up on 16:39 - Feb 24 with 610 viewsnoah4x4

I visited the current Zenit St. P (Petrovsky) Stadium last summer. It is one of the most interesting arenas that I have ever strolled around. Indeed; it's a bit odd for a 'Premier League' club; notably one that is (once again) topping the Russian League after19 fixtures.

The Petrovsky is the club's temporary home; right in the heart of the city's downtown; whilst the larger (edge of town) Kirov stadium is being rebuilt (n.b. that is to be renamed the Gazprom Stadium). The Petrovsky stadium was built is 1925 with obvious post revolution pride and the Russian boom in construction at full tilt. It has an immense 'footprint' and what struck me most was the size of its four massive floodlight trees; absolutely huge! But perhaps they do need immense; given the floor area that they must embrace. No wonder Gazprom sponsor; if they receive the energy payments. See http://en.fc-zenit.ru/main/photo/gl3949/

However, the remarkable thing then is that its capacity is merely 21,500. Note that the record attendance (at the Kirov v CSKA Moscow) is 115,000. The reason for this low capacity is that its stands have the lowest rake of any major arena that I have visited and the pitch is surrounded by a wide athletics track. When full; it must have the worst spectator to concrete ratio of any major world arena and lit by the biggest floodlights.

There is negligible cover for spectators; and it reminded me of a flattened Greek open air theater. This match versus B. Dortmund must be the hottest ticket in town; but in the snow?........ get out your balaclavas and your beaver skins .......German knees will probably be knocking!
U'sual Champions League: Week 2 and round-up on 16:42 - Feb 24 with 606 viewsBarsidepete

U'sual Champions League: Week 2 and round-up on 22:28 - Feb 23 by gerry_us

He's just a bit concerned Wessex as currently he is BOTTOM of his group...

I have two points in the bag like you do, although that places you top of your group and me rooted to the shoe what with MFB making it a runaway, potentially.

Was simply asking about the semi's format< Gerry... Clearer now

U'sual Champions League: Week 2 and round-up on 19:05 - Feb 24 with 590 viewscoomster

Zenit St Petersburg v Borussia Dortmund 2-1
Olympiakos v Man Utd 2-1
FC Schalke 04 v Real Madrid 0-2
Galatasaray v Chelsea 1-1
U'sual Champions League: Week 2 and round-up on 19:12 - Feb 24 with 585 viewswessex_exile

U'sual Champions League: Week 2 and round-up on 16:42 - Feb 24 by Barsidepete

I have two points in the bag like you do, although that places you top of your group and me rooted to the shoe what with MFB making it a runaway, potentially.

Was simply asking about the semi's format< Gerry... Clearer now

Haha - Gerry's 'Fergie' mind-games getting to you Pete?

Up the U's

U'sual Champions League: Week 2 and round-up on 20:48 - Feb 24 with 581 viewsBarsidepete

U'sual Champions League: Week 2 and round-up on 19:12 - Feb 24 by wessex_exile

Haha - Gerry's 'Fergie' mind-games getting to you Pete?

Mourinho Gerry more like

U'sual Champions League: Week 2 and round-up on 22:42 - Feb 24 with 568 viewsgerry_us

U'sual Champions League: Week 2 and round-up on 20:48 - Feb 24 by Barsidepete

Mourinho Gerry more like

Oh Pete. I was fully expecting you to come back with a comment on my abysmal recent performance in the HGL. You missed your chance friend.
Mind games seem to be the thing now in the Premier League so thought it might be a bit of fun to try it in the Wessex League...
U'sual Champions League: Week 2 and round-up on 23:15 - Feb 24 with 566 viewsBarsidepete

U'sual Champions League: Week 2 and round-up on 22:42 - Feb 24 by gerry_us

Oh Pete. I was fully expecting you to come back with a comment on my abysmal recent performance in the HGL. You missed your chance friend.
Mind games seem to be the thing now in the Premier League so thought it might be a bit of fun to try it in the Wessex League...

You're atop your group in our Wessex Champions League. What do I care about your recent form in the PL..? I'm mainly struggling for survival and you are top of the group...

Have we met?

U'sual Champions League: Week 2 and round-up on 10:05 - Feb 25 with 556 viewsgerry_us

U'sual Champions League: Week 2 and round-up on 23:15 - Feb 24 by Barsidepete

You're atop your group in our Wessex Champions League. What do I care about your recent form in the PL..? I'm mainly struggling for survival and you are top of the group...

Have we met?

Have we met???
Des Moines, sausage and mash supper, extraordinary meeting of the U's USA supporters club...? OK, it was 2007 but yes we have met Iowa... sorry,Pete

....and what have you done to the Metrodome in Minneapolis?
[Post edited 25 Feb 2014 10:06]
U'sual Champions League: Week 2 and round-up on 11:23 - Feb 25 with 547 viewsmfb_cufc

ZENIT ST PETERSBURG 1 BORUSSIA DORTMUND 2
OLYMPIAKOS 0 MAN UTD 2

FC SHALKE 04 0 REAL MADRID 2
GALATASARAY 0 CHELSEA 2

mfb

U'sual Champions League: Week 2 and round-up on 11:36 - Feb 25 with 546 viewsBarsidepete

U'sual Champions League: Week 2 and round-up on 10:05 - Feb 25 by gerry_us

Have we met???
Des Moines, sausage and mash supper, extraordinary meeting of the U's USA supporters club...? OK, it was 2007 but yes we have met Iowa... sorry,Pete

....and what have you done to the Metrodome in Minneapolis?
[Post edited 25 Feb 2014 10:06]

Dude, of course... I'm not a knob unless right now you're merely taking the pi*s.

We watched election night as Obama was elected president at the Royal Mile in DMS, so ACTUALLY that was 2008

No idea about the Metrodome. The Vikings aren't very good, I do know that

U'sual Champions League: Week 2 and round-up on 14:56 - Feb 25 with 536 viewsBarsidepete

U'sual Champions League: Week 2 and round-up on 11:23 - Feb 25 with 7 views mfb_cufc

ZENIT ST PETERSBURG 2 BORUSSIA DORTMUND 1
OLYMPIAKOS 2 MAN UTD 0

FC SHALKE 04 1 REAL MADRID 2
GALATASARAY 1 CHELSEA 0

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024