Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
U's 0 - 1 Blades. Noah's View. 09:05 - Feb 26 with 1031 viewsnoah4x4

The eleven questions posed by RS Cosworth in his thread embrace what most fans are thinking this morning; but you won’t get a better summary of the game than Joe Dunne’s own words (see Gazette)…

“Overall, we deserved nothing from the game and it was the right decision to give a penalty. It’s just disappointing — as badly as we played, you don’t want to lose that way. It would probably have been unjust to Sheffield United had we got a point but we would have taken it, based on how poor we were.”

With a starting forward line-up of Sears, Ibrehe and Morrison; one might expect some lack of width (e.g. no Watt or Massey), but plenty of attacking flair. Instead; we got the reverse. Thanks to Bean; Wright (Da.); Dickson and (my M.O.M) Dominic Vose; we often looked slick and threatening through the midfield and also when out wide; but what is the point of this attractive passing style if one’s forwards are so far behind the play that they don’t get into the opposition box to receive the ball; and if they are; seem to want to score the ‘perfect goal’ and hence won’t shoot? This morning; the personnel manager at Bramall Lane will probably be deducting a day from goalkeeper Howard's holiday chart as he had an unexpected vacation. He certainly didn't need a shower.

A truly awful Morrison was withdrawn at half time; having barely had a touch; and having rarely left the centre circle; except to berate his colleagues; mouth abuse at the referee and whirl his arms unproductively at our hard working defence. Lacking any real pace; we didn’t have a clue how to bypass the well drilled high Blades defensive last line. Then; how the sponsors rated Sears ‘Man of the Match’ defies belief. Only hard working Jabo deserves any credit up front. Four shots in 90 minutes with zero on target is perhaps all what we might expect from a line-up of 4 - 6 - 0 with nobody properly leading the line; and a flat footed number 9.

The ball did skim sideways in neat triangles with great aplomb, but with little or no movement up-front to find ‘space’ other than by Iberhe (who too often secured the ball in a corner with no outlet); the repeated good work of Vose; Bean and Wright (Da.) was simply wasted. Ironically, the crowd’s frustrations were mainly targeted at the referee who frequently blew up for a Sheffield injury when the U’s had found what appeared to be a decent forward position. To be fair to him (and to answer RSC); how does the referee know that an injury is NOT a head injury if the player is lay prone and motionless beyond 30 seconds and seemingly unconcious? It is cheating; but referees are only human; and subject to the same Health & Safety paranoia that dominates all of our working lives. However, this probably saved us from further attacking embarrassment; as usually it was a hoofed ball to a lone attacker that lacked any support and surely would soon have been dispossessed. At least we then had the ‘man in black’ to blame for the subsequent lack of productivity. Overall; I thought Mr Scott had a pretty decent game; and the assistants too.

At the break, Craig Eastmond replaced Morrison; but Craig seems to lack his previous determination and is now dispossessed of the ball so easily that Orient’s Roman Vincelot must be rubbing his hands for Saturday. If we lose possession as easily and as often then the prolific Brisbane Road forwards may punish us severely on the break. Brian Wilson, presumably injured, was also replaced at HT by loanee Sesay; who gave a good account of himself on debut; as did the remainder of the back four. The Blades did have sixteen shots; but were limited to merely six on target and only one that ricocheted off the post truly troubled Sam Walker. Most top managers advocate “build out from a solid defence”; and our current back four; supported by Bean and Wright (Da.); are proving pretty dependable (as those at Swindon will testify). But forward of that we were again woeful; and a good attacking team will assault our goal in waves whenever we lose possession; the U's having committed defenders forward. Although we eventually succumbed to a spot kick; had the Blades scored in open play; justice would have been done. As Joe Dunne has said; we deserved nothing. Here; I again concur with RSC; a third substitution was warranted on perhaps 75 minutes. But it is easy to say that with hindsight when most present were, by then, content with an undeserved point. The remaining options on the bench were limited to attackers (unless we put on Olefumi as a midfielder); and one can hence see why our more experiencd players remained on the pitch to help run down the clock. Sadly; it was the fatigue of Sears in the unaccustomed role of defending than led to the penalty and our downfall.

In conclusion; I think that upon Saturday it is perhaps time to give McCauley Bonne the responsibility to lead the line. Naïve; perhaps; inexperienced; yes; but the youngster is fearless; tireless and from what I have seen in the U21 and youth ranks; he knows where the goal is. Dominic Vose is a jewel; as is soon to return Wright (Dr.) and with Jabo too; the future may be brighter (BTW; where is Szmodics?).

But for Morrison; now with merely three goals in over fifty appearances; sorry; it ought to be “Clintons Cards” for you; but we wish you well in the West Country (or Conference).
[Post edited 26 Feb 2014 9:19]
U's 0 - 1 Blades. Noah's View. on 09:42 - Feb 26 with 1006 viewsBluenWightExile

Cheers Noah4x4 - I get the picture all too well.
It is a worrying time as we hover just above a zone of improvers. We are abject at home no question and crowds will dwindle further and contribute less. It was a pity the weather seemed to interfere with progress but that's a weak excuse it hasn't bothered Crawley or Braintree!

I am anxious.
Have we improved at all on 2012-13 Noah4x4?

Pinault-noir

U's 0 - 1 Blades. Noah's View. on 10:53 - Feb 26 with 976 viewsBaldrick

What a shambles How many strikers were on the pitch, for us I mean ?
How many strikes on or anywhere near the goal were there ? There Goal ?
Sorry Joe us old codgers did believe you would turn it around for the U's but to keep blaming the fans yet again.
There's a lot of Colchester fan's out there who are solid supporters not " Negative bums on seats " who turn up, pay good money to watch a game of football !! & get this cr'p and excuses every game.

Well you guy's on this forum us old codgers have kept stoom all season so far main reason being the respect for Joe but it looks like another season of the U's going no where.
U's 0 - 1 Blades. Noah's View. on 11:09 - Feb 26 with 968 viewsnoah4x4

U's 0 - 1 Blades. Noah's View. on 09:42 - Feb 26 by BluenWightExile

Cheers Noah4x4 - I get the picture all too well.
It is a worrying time as we hover just above a zone of improvers. We are abject at home no question and crowds will dwindle further and contribute less. It was a pity the weather seemed to interfere with progress but that's a weak excuse it hasn't bothered Crawley or Braintree!

I am anxious.
Have we improved at all on 2012-13 Noah4x4?

Have we improved over 2012-13?
Yes; by a huge margin!

Remember;
a) At this time last year we were in the midst of a run of 9 defeats.
b) We had ten fewer points (and no games in hand)
c) We were looking like certain relegation candidates.
d) We were highly dependent of loan players.
e) I also don't think that the league in 2012-13 was remotely as strong as today. A lot of dead wood dropped out last season (like Bury) and was replaced by quality teams (Port Vale; Rotherham; Gillingham).

TODAY;
1) We have the first fruits of our Academy investment emerging; Bonne; Szmodics; Gilbey; Olefumi; and we depend upon only ONE current loan player; and then only as back up.
2) We have permanently signed Sam Walker and others.
3) We actually look solid at the back; with one of the meanest defences.
4) We have players that are now comfortable "on the ball" (even Magnus).
5) Players such as Marcus Bean have imporved dramatically.
6) I think we have seen only a glimmer of Dominic Vose's full potential.
7) We have the magic of Drey Wright to come back.

Joe Dunne sums it up very well. We don't have to teach the youth squad how to play the new Colchester way (which emulates that of top Premier league teams); as they know no different; but we did have to convert our senior professionals to playing quality football.

Our current problem is that we seem to struggle to score goals; and lose the ball too often when in attack. Clinton Morrison; three goals in fifty four appearances perhaps says it all. But we should survive (albeit we may face a rocky run given the next few weeks fixtures). Next season; just imagine; a squad where at least 25% have come through the U's youth ranks and know how to play together (our under 21's have been beating some top teams).

Last night we were dire; and my (and the manager's) comments reflect that; but I also embraced the positives (like our ever improving defence). But that's football; and have we turned the corner? I am confident; yes.
[Post edited 26 Feb 2014 11:18]
U's 0 - 1 Blades. Noah's View. on 14:06 - Feb 26 with 916 viewsBluenWightExile

Magic Noah4x4, than you.
I feel better!

Think we'll need another 20 points though.
Up the U's

Pinault-noir

U's 0 - 1 Blades. Noah's View. on 18:21 - Feb 26 with 884 viewsbwildered

Judging by your reply Noah, you must have attended the STH forum the previous night.

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

U's 0 - 1 Blades. Noah's View. on 21:05 - Feb 26 with 858 viewsBaldrick

U's 0 - 1 Blades. Noah's View. on 11:09 - Feb 26 by noah4x4

Have we improved over 2012-13?
Yes; by a huge margin!

Remember;
a) At this time last year we were in the midst of a run of 9 defeats.
b) We had ten fewer points (and no games in hand)
c) We were looking like certain relegation candidates.
e) I also don't think that the league in 2012-13 was remotely as strong as today. A lot of dead wood dropped out last season (like Bury) and was replaced by quality teams (Port Vale; Rotherham; Gillingham).

TODAY;
1) We have the first fruits of our Academy investment emerging; Bonne; Szmodics; Gilbey; Olefumi; and we depend upon only ONE current loan player; and then only as back up.
4) We have players that are now comfortable "on the ball" (even Magnus).
5) Players such as Marcus Bean have imporved dramatically.
6) I think we have seen only a glimmer of Dominic Vose's full potential.
7) We have the magic of Drey Wright to come back.

Joe Dunne sums it up very well. We don't have to teach the youth squad how to play the new Colchester way (which emulates that of top Premier league teams); as they know no different; but we did have to convert our senior professionals to playing quality football.

Our current problem is that we seem to struggle to score goals; and lose the ball too often when in attack. Clinton Morrison; three goals in fifty four appearances perhaps says it all. But we should survive (albeit we may face a rocky run given the next few weeks fixtures). Next season; just imagine; a squad where at least 25% have come through the U's youth ranks and know how to play together (our under 21's have been beating some top teams).

Last night we were dire; and my (and the manager's) comments reflect that; but I also embraced the positives (like our ever improving defence). But that's football; and have we turned the corner? I am confident; yes.
[Post edited 26 Feb 2014 11:18]

We still are are we not ?

1) We have the first fruits of our Academy investment emerging; Bonne; Szmodics; Gilbey; Olefumi; and we depend upon only ONE current loan player; and then only as back up
Where are they ?

Sam walker Without him we would be in deep sh'te

We have done recently because that is all we have done Defend.

Our current problem is that we seem to struggle to score goals; and lose the ball too often when in attack.
We loose the ball in OUR half with these square passes !
Was it the Swindon manager who said how they waited for us to play about with the ball in our half and then took it and ? well says it all.

Clinton Morrison; three goals in fifty four appearances perhaps says it all.
ERR Yes I think it does.

But we should survive (albeit we may face a rocky run given the next few weeks fixtures). Next season; just imagine; a squad where at least 25% have come through the U's youth ranks and know how to play together (our under 21's have been beating some top teams).
Yes but will they get a game?

Dire you don't say ?

One thing you fail to mention " criticism by Joe of the supporters ?

Tell me Noah have you bothered to look around you and see the unrest in the ground of the supporters and not just those in your back garden ?
Read the local rag ok some of these supporters are maybe not whole heartedly behind the club but they are putting bums on seats and majority of these are local Colchester people not supporters from out of town.
U's 0 - 1 Blades. Noah's View. on 22:07 - Feb 26 with 838 viewsbwildered

We played has poorly last night has we played well on Saturday and still lost . The manager a least made changes at half time but frustratingly it did not work out. Let's hope despite defeat we have learnt from the performances and the experience will benefit us for the rest of this season and the future.
Things do not always go according to plan, has we all want the U's do well, this would be easier if they did .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

U's 0 - 1 Blades. Noah's View. on 01:54 - Feb 27 with 817 viewsnoah4x4

U's 0 - 1 Blades. Noah's View. on 21:05 - Feb 26 by Baldrick

We still are are we not ?

1) We have the first fruits of our Academy investment emerging; Bonne; Szmodics; Gilbey; Olefumi; and we depend upon only ONE current loan player; and then only as back up
Where are they ?

Sam walker Without him we would be in deep sh'te

We have done recently because that is all we have done Defend.

Our current problem is that we seem to struggle to score goals; and lose the ball too often when in attack.
We loose the ball in OUR half with these square passes !
Was it the Swindon manager who said how they waited for us to play about with the ball in our half and then took it and ? well says it all.

Clinton Morrison; three goals in fifty four appearances perhaps says it all.
ERR Yes I think it does.

But we should survive (albeit we may face a rocky run given the next few weeks fixtures). Next season; just imagine; a squad where at least 25% have come through the U's youth ranks and know how to play together (our under 21's have been beating some top teams).
Yes but will they get a game?

Dire you don't say ?

One thing you fail to mention " criticism by Joe of the supporters ?

Tell me Noah have you bothered to look around you and see the unrest in the ground of the supporters and not just those in your back garden ?
Read the local rag ok some of these supporters are maybe not whole heartedly behind the club but they are putting bums on seats and majority of these are local Colchester people not supporters from out of town.

In response......

d. We do only have Sesay on loan - and he is merely cover in defence.

So how are we still overly dependent on loan players? Today, our entire registered squad (bar one) is now under proper contract. Some emergency loan dependence was essential in the first half of the season as half our normal squad was injured; but that is NOT how we are building the squad; unlike so many teams at our level. Our focus is on the Academy; and let's give Cowling; Dunne and Hume some credit for that foresight.

1. Three of the four academy graduates that I mentioned were on the bench on Tuesday; and all have already made their full debut (as has Drey Wright). What more do you expect given their tender ages? Shall we simply drop the bulk of our experienced senior pro's and play the U21's in Division One? Maybe yes next season!

How many other LOCAL boys have made it this far in our entire football league history (e.g. not as a non-league club)? Surely this progress is encouraging? Here we must also respect that Macca Bonne is barely 18 (we also seem to forget that Vose is just 19; Gilbey 20 etc.). We do have to introduce these BOYS gradually; as having 'experience' and 'strength' (including mental) is just as important as youth/enthusiasm/skill. We also can't now buy new players without discarding others due to the 'Fair Play' rules; so we must change things via the Youth Academy and as contracts expire. Life isn't the same for managers as it once was. In the lower divisions; one now has to work with what we already have or can locally develop.

3. Keeping clean sheets and solid defending must surely be the first step towards success. We have been absolutely battered by MK Don's, Bristol City; Rotherham; Swindon and a number of others when away from home yet still come away with points. The current passing style is then how successful teams play at home; but it takes time to master.

"Boring Boring Arsenal" started like this; and now they are one of the most attractive sides to watch. Swansea and Wigan have only enjoyed success by replicating such methods. At this early stage; we sometimes do have to be content with grinding out results and what's wrong with a bit of gritty defending when we need a vital point? Yes; we do loose the ball; but we are no longer leaking three goals a game; having better sorted defence and defensive midfield (and goal keeper). Now sort out the strike force and we will be a really fine side. Frankly; 4-4-2 and direct 'hoofball' is today so easy to defend against that few adopt it. The sides that have beaten us have generally been better at the passing game than we. The only exception being Orient that are highly direct. If not comfortable in possession; we won't more regularly win; but we are now getting there.

Please listen to the actual Joe Dunne interview and not the drivel in the Gazette comments (n.b. I believe that "U's Player" is currently available on a free trial offer). Joe Dunne (IMHO) is the first to respect; praise and value the loyal fans; and nobody is more conscious of the prevailing fan disappointments than he. His remarks were in answer to a specific question about 'home form' and the impact on players of any fan discontent and (IMHO) he simply highlighted that the small handful of fans that OVERLY verbally abuse individual players beyond reasonable boundaries must inevitably have some impact on confidence or morale. This is hence not about any fair criticism from fans or even routine terrace banter. Listen to it; and hear for yourself that it was in no way Joe generally "blaming the fans for this performance" (as some have mischievously been alleging in the Gazette comments for unknown purpose). Frankly; I have never heard a more honest acceptance of manager/team/player responsibility after an inexplicably poor performance. Listen too to David Wright's interview. It was simply a bad day at the office; and we all occasionally have those. The Blades are also currently a 'form side;' as were Preston and Notts County.

Some people should also perhaps wake up to the fact that it is no longer politically correct (or legally acceptable) to throw rotten cabbages and rivets at below par music hall performers; and hence behave at football grounds like a mob at a seventeenth century execution. These players are also not £300k a week superstars; many are local boys (yes; mere boys) and they also hurt when we lose. We wouldn't tolerate such shocking verbal abuse in our own workplaces; so why should they? Constructive criticism is fine; banter and terrace talk is fine; but I wince at some of the things that I sometimes overhear from some; which in any location other than a football ground, might lead to an arrest. Frankly, I do think Joe simply makes a fair point.

You offend me by suggesting that I should "get out of my back garden" and hear the fans discontent. I travel home and away most weeks with a band of typically 200 + loyal fans and I also read the contributors to the Gazette. Everybody is entitled to their point of view; but I feel that some are prone to exaggeration of their more extreme views out of sheer malice and mischief. Truly loyal fans are often disappointed; and when we get chance; we don't/won't hesitate to let U's management know our opinions. But we do so with respect and in proper forums (such as last Monday's STH fan event) and not by foul language and individually targeted highly personal abuse. We then always get a good hearing and are treated with respect.

In an earlier comment you mention ".....keeping stoom whilst the U's are going nowhere". In the context of our history; surely we have only just arrived; and are now getting ready to go on to greater things? Ask yourself; how many times in our entire history have we ended up above mid table in the third tier (or higher)? We have largely always been a fourth tier or Conference side; only occasionally flirting with what is now Division One; then to be relegated inside a season or two.

This is now the U's longest continuous spell in this tier of the football league (or higher) in our entire history. This is hence our most successful period of all time. OK; it was disappointing that we couldn't become a sustainable Championship side; and it is disappointing that we currently don't win more games; but what do we expect on our gates/revenues/wage affordability? In a previous thread; I statistically proved that Lambert; Boothroyd; Ward and Dunne all have U's career managerial win records that are as good as any since the 1960's. and this has all occurred at WHCS; and not at Layer Road. Life as a U's fan isn't perfect; but let's keep things in perspective. Isn't it good that a modest town like Colchester still has a football league club when many near-by cities don't; but even Chelmsford and Cambridge have loyal fans that stick with them and stay positive through any adversity (as have Pompey; Plymouth, Bristol City, Blades and similar fans that have tumbled from the very top).

So can't we all be a tad more content and patient whilst this club seeks to consolidate its historically lofty (punching above its weight) position and now seeks to improve further? Or would we sooner be back down in the Conference; where we might be able to play more freely and where we can win the 50% of games that many seem to expect? I suspect I know where Luton; Kidderminster; Barnet and many other fans of former football league clubs would sooner be; content watching them grinding out gritty results amongst many defeats alongside the U's in Division One!
[Post edited 27 Feb 2014 8:46]
Login to get fewer ads

U's 0 - 1 Blades. Noah's View. on 08:58 - Feb 27 with 773 viewsBluenWightExile

Bravo Noah4x4 - well defended and hugely balanced.
Entirely why yours [& Durham's & Wessex's] accounts are of such total value to me here, exiled as I am.
I too am accepting the situation we are in and the potential of it - both the relegational and preferably the constructional for 2014-5! Our young players really are the future - more so than perhaps in past times. I may not enjoy many Saturdays from afar but I am spurred by the potential you have spelt out and I have [infrequently] witnessed. I see far less to criticise than I did when I felt we had players who were just taking Mr. Cowling's cash. Lacking in loyalty we had lazy players and in our post Championship years I disliked what I saw. Izzet [who frequently annoyed me] nevertheless was a paragon of what is truly required to build growth.

That's why I posed the question "have we improved?". My feeling was that we were improving because our direction is more focussed on continuity, teamwork and a built entity. Something I posted earlier in the season when unsurprised by Slade's success at Orient - it had been coming - something you kindly agreed with Noah4x4.

People have always moaned at football - fact of - but it needs to be constructive and contextual. That's why I am grateful for your reports. I admire what Joe is trying to do and enjoyed that Irish article posted on here by Daniel 2 weeks back. We have a good man whether he succeeds as Parky or not. I for one will always remember his equaliser at Ninian Park a few years back, his passionate reaction [as well as that of their so-called fans] and as such his managing must be seen as a continuance of his desire on our behalf. He has ability, he makes mistakes and he says so. A good example to many on our own terraces who do not. Supporting the U's has rarely been easy. I don't guess supporting Rochdale or Shrewsbury or Walsall is either but I wouldn't be without the endeavoured times. There is nothing remotely complacent or unprofessional about us at present. That would be difficult to defend. What we are is where we are because of who we now are again - so accurately outlined in this thread Noah4x4. My thanks again for balance and realism.

A point at Brisbane Rd would be rather good!!
Up the U's
Get behind Joe and what is at his disposal. Even if the frustration can be just that!

Pinault-noir

U's 0 - 1 Blades. Noah's View. on 11:57 - Feb 27 with 746 viewsBaldrick

U's 0 - 1 Blades. Noah's View. on 01:54 - Feb 27 by noah4x4

In response......

d. We do only have Sesay on loan - and he is merely cover in defence.

So how are we still overly dependent on loan players? Today, our entire registered squad (bar one) is now under proper contract. Some emergency loan dependence was essential in the first half of the season as half our normal squad was injured; but that is NOT how we are building the squad; unlike so many teams at our level. Our focus is on the Academy; and let's give Cowling; Dunne and Hume some credit for that foresight.

1. Three of the four academy graduates that I mentioned were on the bench on Tuesday; and all have already made their full debut (as has Drey Wright). What more do you expect given their tender ages? Shall we simply drop the bulk of our experienced senior pro's and play the U21's in Division One? Maybe yes next season!

How many other LOCAL boys have made it this far in our entire football league history (e.g. not as a non-league club)? Surely this progress is encouraging? Here we must also respect that Macca Bonne is barely 18 (we also seem to forget that Vose is just 19; Gilbey 20 etc.). We do have to introduce these BOYS gradually; as having 'experience' and 'strength' (including mental) is just as important as youth/enthusiasm/skill. We also can't now buy new players without discarding others due to the 'Fair Play' rules; so we must change things via the Youth Academy and as contracts expire. Life isn't the same for managers as it once was. In the lower divisions; one now has to work with what we already have or can locally develop.

3. Keeping clean sheets and solid defending must surely be the first step towards success. We have been absolutely battered by MK Don's, Bristol City; Rotherham; Swindon and a number of others when away from home yet still come away with points. The current passing style is then how successful teams play at home; but it takes time to master.

"Boring Boring Arsenal" started like this; and now they are one of the most attractive sides to watch. Swansea and Wigan have only enjoyed success by replicating such methods. At this early stage; we sometimes do have to be content with grinding out results and what's wrong with a bit of gritty defending when we need a vital point? Yes; we do loose the ball; but we are no longer leaking three goals a game; having better sorted defence and defensive midfield (and goal keeper). Now sort out the strike force and we will be a really fine side. Frankly; 4-4-2 and direct 'hoofball' is today so easy to defend against that few adopt it. The sides that have beaten us have generally been better at the passing game than we. The only exception being Orient that are highly direct. If not comfortable in possession; we won't more regularly win; but we are now getting there.

Please listen to the actual Joe Dunne interview and not the drivel in the Gazette comments (n.b. I believe that "U's Player" is currently available on a free trial offer). Joe Dunne (IMHO) is the first to respect; praise and value the loyal fans; and nobody is more conscious of the prevailing fan disappointments than he. His remarks were in answer to a specific question about 'home form' and the impact on players of any fan discontent and (IMHO) he simply highlighted that the small handful of fans that OVERLY verbally abuse individual players beyond reasonable boundaries must inevitably have some impact on confidence or morale. This is hence not about any fair criticism from fans or even routine terrace banter. Listen to it; and hear for yourself that it was in no way Joe generally "blaming the fans for this performance" (as some have mischievously been alleging in the Gazette comments for unknown purpose). Frankly; I have never heard a more honest acceptance of manager/team/player responsibility after an inexplicably poor performance. Listen too to David Wright's interview. It was simply a bad day at the office; and we all occasionally have those. The Blades are also currently a 'form side;' as were Preston and Notts County.

Some people should also perhaps wake up to the fact that it is no longer politically correct (or legally acceptable) to throw rotten cabbages and rivets at below par music hall performers; and hence behave at football grounds like a mob at a seventeenth century execution. These players are also not £300k a week superstars; many are local boys (yes; mere boys) and they also hurt when we lose. We wouldn't tolerate such shocking verbal abuse in our own workplaces; so why should they? Constructive criticism is fine; banter and terrace talk is fine; but I wince at some of the things that I sometimes overhear from some; which in any location other than a football ground, might lead to an arrest. Frankly, I do think Joe simply makes a fair point.

You offend me by suggesting that I should "get out of my back garden" and hear the fans discontent. I travel home and away most weeks with a band of typically 200 + loyal fans and I also read the contributors to the Gazette. Everybody is entitled to their point of view; but I feel that some are prone to exaggeration of their more extreme views out of sheer malice and mischief. Truly loyal fans are often disappointed; and when we get chance; we don't/won't hesitate to let U's management know our opinions. But we do so with respect and in proper forums (such as last Monday's STH fan event) and not by foul language and individually targeted highly personal abuse. We then always get a good hearing and are treated with respect.

In an earlier comment you mention ".....keeping stoom whilst the U's are going nowhere". In the context of our history; surely we have only just arrived; and are now getting ready to go on to greater things? Ask yourself; how many times in our entire history have we ended up above mid table in the third tier (or higher)? We have largely always been a fourth tier or Conference side; only occasionally flirting with what is now Division One; then to be relegated inside a season or two.

This is now the U's longest continuous spell in this tier of the football league (or higher) in our entire history. This is hence our most successful period of all time. OK; it was disappointing that we couldn't become a sustainable Championship side; and it is disappointing that we currently don't win more games; but what do we expect on our gates/revenues/wage affordability? In a previous thread; I statistically proved that Lambert; Boothroyd; Ward and Dunne all have U's career managerial win records that are as good as any since the 1960's. and this has all occurred at WHCS; and not at Layer Road. Life as a U's fan isn't perfect; but let's keep things in perspective. Isn't it good that a modest town like Colchester still has a football league club when many near-by cities don't; but even Chelmsford and Cambridge have loyal fans that stick with them and stay positive through any adversity (as have Pompey; Plymouth, Bristol City, Blades and similar fans that have tumbled from the very top).

So can't we all be a tad more content and patient whilst this club seeks to consolidate its historically lofty (punching above its weight) position and now seeks to improve further? Or would we sooner be back down in the Conference; where we might be able to play more freely and where we can win the 50% of games that many seem to expect? I suspect I know where Luton; Kidderminster; Barnet and many other fans of former football league clubs would sooner be; content watching them grinding out gritty results amongst many defeats alongside the U's in Division One!
[Post edited 27 Feb 2014 8:46]

Are you a scoop ? must have taken you a few hours to write that ?
Sorry joking aside ! we are are just a couple now of old codgers who are witnessing what we think is a shambles at Colchester. Even Joe admits to the fact we had Three strikers playing and even he did not know where they were ?
Academy we have already let a young lad go? who we think showed promise and was not given the chance in the first team. As to academy players on the bench like others have stated Joe does not use his subs that well. Yes we have a lot of young players but we also have a lot of past it players ?
Fair play Rules there are ways around this which again have been stated by other fans.
Keeping clean sheets as we stated without Walker we would be in the sh'te unlike some fans we believe Walker was a good signing.
Current passing style as we said in our half ? then the likes of Swindon steal the ball after we have lost the plot.
Gunners are in a different league to us we are not real Madrid and We don't like the Hoofroyd approach either.
Negativity is a word Joe has also used about the fans at the end of the day the fans that's you and your friends and us are paying to see a game of football.

" You Say "

What are you saying us old codgers are yobs ? Yes some of the language makes us cringe but again these supporters are paying hard earned cash to watch a gutless performance like Tuesday.
I'm sure you like us have played the game and other sports and they as professionals should be giving 100% every game I know what ever sport we were involved in our life we wanted to win ! Some of the players out there seem not to care.
As to offending you ? where what how ? When we were younger we went to home and away games we admire you and your friends for that but that goes on at all the clubs the support etc.

" You Say "

We may not have all the knowledge like yourself but having supported Colchester all our lives. This last three seasons we have struggled at least looking back we had players willing to give their all for Colchester.
This is now the U's longest continuous spell in this tier of the football league and we are still nowhere ?

Apologies for not answering all your thoughts on your latest BOOK publication (No offence meant) as we are not so good at writing or that well learned.
Keep doing what you are doing, The Son is out now so being an OAP I can get out on my garden.
U's 0 - 1 Blades. Noah's View. on 15:16 - Feb 27 with 727 viewsnoah4x4

"How much easier it is to be critical than to be correct.”
(Benjamin Disraeli)

Some of us claim to have 'forty years experience'. My philosophy is that such experience is useless if we have simply encountered the same year x forty times.

Football today is different. Remember how Swindon played 4-6-0 and bamboozled us because with no conventional striker we didn't know who to mark.

Joe Dunne has the coaching badges; and all the experience; not we. So I wish the grumpy in the West Stand would let him get on with the process of change.
U's 0 - 1 Blades. Noah's View. on 22:59 - Feb 27 with 690 viewsdurham_exile

U's 0 - 1 Blades. Noah's View. on 15:16 - Feb 27 by noah4x4

"How much easier it is to be critical than to be correct.”
(Benjamin Disraeli)

Some of us claim to have 'forty years experience'. My philosophy is that such experience is useless if we have simply encountered the same year x forty times.

Football today is different. Remember how Swindon played 4-6-0 and bamboozled us because with no conventional striker we didn't know who to mark.

Joe Dunne has the coaching badges; and all the experience; not we. So I wish the grumpy in the West Stand would let him get on with the process of change.

Personally I blame the weather!

After the Carlisle game, we had just embarked on a good run and taken 13 points out of 18.

The weather, postponements and perhaps slightly better opposition have put paid to our recent run of form.

I have been very disappointed that Sanchez Watt managed to "earn" a red card because we have missed his presence after his promising return.

Noah and Baldrick - fascinating exchanges. All good and well considered points.

I am afraid that the Blades defeat ended our slim chance of a top six finish. We must now achieve 52 points quickly and prepare for next season.

Up the U's

Mind you 3 points at Orient and you never know!!!!!

Durham_exile

U's 0 - 1 Blades. Noah's View. on 09:16 - Feb 28 with 673 viewsnoah4x4

Three pints in the O's excellent CAMRA bar and many of us probably will take a draw.
U's 0 - 1 Blades. Noah's View. on 10:03 - Feb 28 with 668 viewsBaldrick

U's 0 - 1 Blades. Noah's View. on 22:59 - Feb 27 by durham_exile

Personally I blame the weather!

After the Carlisle game, we had just embarked on a good run and taken 13 points out of 18.

The weather, postponements and perhaps slightly better opposition have put paid to our recent run of form.

I have been very disappointed that Sanchez Watt managed to "earn" a red card because we have missed his presence after his promising return.

Noah and Baldrick - fascinating exchanges. All good and well considered points.

I am afraid that the Blades defeat ended our slim chance of a top six finish. We must now achieve 52 points quickly and prepare for next season.

Up the U's

Mind you 3 points at Orient and you never know!!!!!

Thank you for the kind remarks Durham.

We are like you very disappointed with Sanchez and his red card as we missed him badly against Sheffield. We could do with a few more players of his calibre at the club.

I'm afraid to say we don't agree with this style of play Joe is apparently trying to bring into the club. We are a 1st div club (3rd div ) and as we said not the Gunners or Real Madrid Wigan etc.
Joe has reportedly said :-

Manager Joe Dunne believes that hamstring injuries are becoming more common, across the board, as the speed and tempo of training, and game-time, continues to increase.
“Players are operating at a higher speed now, so hamstring injuries are becoming more common,” confirmed Dunne at this morning’s press conference

I'm sure these injuries are not happening at the Premier clubs on such a scale as at Colchester.
Of course in our younger day's the game was played a lot different and in my late father's day different again. At the end of the day North stand, South stand, East stand,
West stand in the car park ? we all contribute to the U's,
" Bums on seats !! "

We old codgers do take offence at having quotes from " Benny " pointed our way. We are not grumpy old men or " Yobs "
We do note a comment on the local rag has been taken down ?

To quote or maybe not a quote " Durham "
" Up the U's "
U's 0 - 1 Blades. Noah's View. on 12:53 - Feb 28 with 650 viewsnoah4x4

Constructive debate is healthy.....

Baldrick says;
“I'm afraid to say we don't agree with this style of play Joe is apparently trying to bring into the club. We are a 1st div club (3rd div ) and as we said not the Gunners or Real Madrid Wigan etc.”

Noah’s response;
Everybody is entitled to an opinion; but please say “I” and not “we” as many of us disagree…..this is my opinion as regards this squad and tactics...

If the U’s hadn’t committed to play this style of football; then Arsenal & Chelsea would never have permitted the likes of Sanchez Watt; Craig Eastmond and Sam Walker to join us (all initially on loan). These have now become quality (as you have ackowldeged) permanent signings; when these players wouldn't have given us ANY consideration had we approached them via the normal transfer market.

We would also never have overcome our early season injury crisis and secured the services of Garbutt (Everton), Monakana (Preston); and latterly Sesay (Foxes).

This ‘passing game’ is the way that all of top teams now play; including the best in Division One (except Orient). So if we want to be anything more than a fourth tier (or Conference) team it is one that we MUST master. Unfortunately, all fans would accept that we haven’t fully mastered it yet; and that is why we are not currently as successful as we aspire; but we will succeed with patience; as the youth teams are now proving. The stated aim is to have 25% of the squad home grown by the start of next season via the outstanding youth set-up that we now have; so we do need some folk to be patient.

The fact that Joe Dunne has just been elected to the League Managers Association Technical Committee illustrates the respect that he now gets from his EXPERT peers; and why top clubs will offer us high quality loanees to gain experience. On Tuesday; (Foxes) Alie Sesay competently made his league debut (and in a striped blue shirt not navy). This illustrates the trust and confidence that THE top team in the Championship has placed in the pastoral care of Joe Dunne. So why do some of our fans think they tactically; technically and medically know better than he? The next comment will perhaps reinforce my point…..

Baldrick says;
“I'm sure these injuries are not happening at the Premier clubs on such a scale as at Colchester”.

Noah’s response…..
Why not visit http://www.physioroom.com/news/english_premier_league/epl_injury_table.php and read the facts?

Arsenal currently has ten of its squad injured; Everton seven (see website for others listed). Hamstrings and muscle injuries dominant the data. Remember too that although Premier Clubs might have dozens of players on their books; their first team squads are limited.

In a similar vein (pun intended) the sports scientists also now measure every heartbeat, muscle exertion and brain impulse For example; if a player has been ‘lazy’ or 'unfit' his statistics will soon reveal that to his manager. We DON'T need to tell him; and if we do; more often than not we will probably be proved wrong when the actual data is measured.

In summary;
We are all entitled to opinion; but (IMHO) it is shameful and insulting to criticise INDIVIDUAL players (or staff) in an abusive manner DURING A GAME from a position of ignorance when the modern sporting world is so awash with tangible data and evidence.

Here I am not talking about the acceptable normal groans when we miss a penalty; nor routine fan frustration when we miss a tackle; or even after a trite own goal when a backpass hits our net under no opposition pressure. We all do contribute financially to the U’s; and we are hence all are entitled to an opinion; be that positive or negative; but there is a time and place.

Many of the woeful foul language non-PC comments uttered at our players and dug-out from a minority in The West Stand would result in an arrest if uttered in any other workplace. There is plenty of opportunity to offer more considered and thoughtful ‘feedback’ to the U’s management via these forums; or the OMG and via the Gazette. But those offering ONLY a NEGATIVE vocal contribution during a game are indeed destructive grumpy old men that contribute nothing other than the price of a ticket.

I say to them (n.b. I am not accusing you Baldrick!) by all means show your disapproval at the final whistle; or write to the Chairman; or comment in the Gazette or here; but please don’t undermine the huge efforts of the South Stand to encourage our team DURING THE GAME. Loyal U's fans DON'T "only sing when we are winning".
[Post edited 28 Feb 2014 13:01]
U's 0 - 1 Blades. Noah's View. on 19:53 - Feb 28 with 620 viewsBaldrick

U's 0 - 1 Blades. Noah's View. on 12:53 - Feb 28 by noah4x4

Constructive debate is healthy.....

Baldrick says;
“I'm afraid to say we don't agree with this style of play Joe is apparently trying to bring into the club. We are a 1st div club (3rd div ) and as we said not the Gunners or Real Madrid Wigan etc.”

Noah’s response;
Everybody is entitled to an opinion; but please say “I” and not “we” as many of us disagree…..this is my opinion as regards this squad and tactics...

If the U’s hadn’t committed to play this style of football; then Arsenal & Chelsea would never have permitted the likes of Sanchez Watt; Craig Eastmond and Sam Walker to join us (all initially on loan). These have now become quality (as you have ackowldeged) permanent signings; when these players wouldn't have given us ANY consideration had we approached them via the normal transfer market.

We would also never have overcome our early season injury crisis and secured the services of Garbutt (Everton), Monakana (Preston); and latterly Sesay (Foxes).

This ‘passing game’ is the way that all of top teams now play; including the best in Division One (except Orient). So if we want to be anything more than a fourth tier (or Conference) team it is one that we MUST master. Unfortunately, all fans would accept that we haven’t fully mastered it yet; and that is why we are not currently as successful as we aspire; but we will succeed with patience; as the youth teams are now proving. The stated aim is to have 25% of the squad home grown by the start of next season via the outstanding youth set-up that we now have; so we do need some folk to be patient.

The fact that Joe Dunne has just been elected to the League Managers Association Technical Committee illustrates the respect that he now gets from his EXPERT peers; and why top clubs will offer us high quality loanees to gain experience. On Tuesday; (Foxes) Alie Sesay competently made his league debut (and in a striped blue shirt not navy). This illustrates the trust and confidence that THE top team in the Championship has placed in the pastoral care of Joe Dunne. So why do some of our fans think they tactically; technically and medically know better than he? The next comment will perhaps reinforce my point…..

Baldrick says;
“I'm sure these injuries are not happening at the Premier clubs on such a scale as at Colchester”.

Noah’s response…..
Why not visit http://www.physioroom.com/news/english_premier_league/epl_injury_table.php and read the facts?

Arsenal currently has ten of its squad injured; Everton seven (see website for others listed). Hamstrings and muscle injuries dominant the data. Remember too that although Premier Clubs might have dozens of players on their books; their first team squads are limited.

In a similar vein (pun intended) the sports scientists also now measure every heartbeat, muscle exertion and brain impulse For example; if a player has been ‘lazy’ or 'unfit' his statistics will soon reveal that to his manager. We DON'T need to tell him; and if we do; more often than not we will probably be proved wrong when the actual data is measured.

In summary;
We are all entitled to opinion; but (IMHO) it is shameful and insulting to criticise INDIVIDUAL players (or staff) in an abusive manner DURING A GAME from a position of ignorance when the modern sporting world is so awash with tangible data and evidence.

Here I am not talking about the acceptable normal groans when we miss a penalty; nor routine fan frustration when we miss a tackle; or even after a trite own goal when a backpass hits our net under no opposition pressure. We all do contribute financially to the U’s; and we are hence all are entitled to an opinion; be that positive or negative; but there is a time and place.

Many of the woeful foul language non-PC comments uttered at our players and dug-out from a minority in The West Stand would result in an arrest if uttered in any other workplace. There is plenty of opportunity to offer more considered and thoughtful ‘feedback’ to the U’s management via these forums; or the OMG and via the Gazette. But those offering ONLY a NEGATIVE vocal contribution during a game are indeed destructive grumpy old men that contribute nothing other than the price of a ticket.

I say to them (n.b. I am not accusing you Baldrick!) by all means show your disapproval at the final whistle; or write to the Chairman; or comment in the Gazette or here; but please don’t undermine the huge efforts of the South Stand to encourage our team DURING THE GAME. Loyal U's fans DON'T "only sing when we are winning".
[Post edited 28 Feb 2014 13:01]

Our Response !

Sorry "WE" were " 5 OLD FOGIES " and if you cared to read OUR comments in the past way back when Mr Ward & before was here you would have known. We lost one to the clouds and two more have given up. So there is just the two of US !!

We have never been abusive to anybody at the club & We that is "US" do not like being insulted by yourself we have not insulted YOU !!

Sorry we cannot be bothered to read your latest publication.
[Post edited 28 Feb 2014 20:47]
U's 0 - 1 Blades. Noah's View. on 09:23 - Mar 1 with 603 viewsnoah4x4

U's 0 - 1 Blades. Noah's View. on 19:53 - Feb 28 by Baldrick

Our Response !

Sorry "WE" were " 5 OLD FOGIES " and if you cared to read OUR comments in the past way back when Mr Ward & before was here you would have known. We lost one to the clouds and two more have given up. So there is just the two of US !!

We have never been abusive to anybody at the club & We that is "US" do not like being insulted by yourself we have not insulted YOU !!

Sorry we cannot be bothered to read your latest publication.
[Post edited 28 Feb 2014 20:47]

Pity you didn't read it pal.

Notably the last paragraph where I assure you that "Baldrick; I am NOT accusing you" (of abuse) and hence my remarks in the specific context of what is happening around the 'dug-out' are about OTHERS that are expressing similar thoughts to you; but in a far less savory manner.

My response is totally reasoned; scientific and factual; having rudely been told by you to ".....get out of my back garden.....etc". If you decide to throw the first stones at me; always expect an equal and far more accurately targeted response.

The issue that I have fairly responded to is that you have written exactly the same negative thoughts as those promulgated by those that are being verbally destructive DURING a game; e.g. that the style of play is wrong; hence Joe Dunne doesn't know what he is doing; and that injuries are self-inflicted by his approach to training (etc.)

You are perfectly entitled to your opinions; but if you decide to write negative propaganda to that effect with the objective of influencing others to embrace your point of view to perhaps to try and enforce change at the club; do expect others that disagree to respond with powerful counter-arguments.
U's 0 - 1 Blades. Noah's View. on 09:34 - Mar 1 with 596 viewsBaldrick

U's 0 - 1 Blades. Noah's View. on 09:23 - Mar 1 by noah4x4

Pity you didn't read it pal.

Notably the last paragraph where I assure you that "Baldrick; I am NOT accusing you" (of abuse) and hence my remarks in the specific context of what is happening around the 'dug-out' are about OTHERS that are expressing similar thoughts to you; but in a far less savory manner.

My response is totally reasoned; scientific and factual; having rudely been told by you to ".....get out of my back garden.....etc". If you decide to throw the first stones at me; always expect an equal and far more accurately targeted response.

The issue that I have fairly responded to is that you have written exactly the same negative thoughts as those promulgated by those that are being verbally destructive DURING a game; e.g. that the style of play is wrong; hence Joe Dunne doesn't know what he is doing; and that injuries are self-inflicted by his approach to training (etc.)

You are perfectly entitled to your opinions; but if you decide to write negative propaganda to that effect with the objective of influencing others to embrace your point of view to perhaps to try and enforce change at the club; do expect others that disagree to respond with powerful counter-arguments.

Pity you didn't read "OUR COMMENTS" ?? fully from the start instead of thrusting down our throats and other supporters of the U's your enforcing political & comical quotes.
Thank you.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024