Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
"I am calling from Windows Techical Department"...... 14:27 - May 30 with 427 viewsnoah4x4

I guess you have all had this call?

If not, how about ".....you have not claimed PPI" or
".....not claimed your free Government boiler" or
or "....(silence)..........." (unanswered) where they are too busy scamming somebody else.

These are all scams (the first originating in India), and the caller will try to get you to hand over control of your computer to steal your identity and/or pay for the download of fake virus clean up software for a problem you don't have. I nearly got caught first time, but was sensible enough not to trust them. But it didn't stop there.

You can just put the 'phone down, but I have still been driven nuts by these untraceble scammers despite being registered with the Telephone Preference Service and multiple complaints to the ICO and OFTEL (upon some days I was getting over five calls a day).

In the end, I decided to phone BT to have my phone number changed, but this has proved unnecessary. At this point I discovered that BT now offer a cordless 'phone that will identify ALL callers and you can set its parameters to automatically (say) "block calls from international callers where the number is 'withheld'" (and/or other like circumstances) and the cost is a one off purchase of £34.00. Sounds to me like a good investment, so I have ordered.

I mention this on this board as other U's fans or perhaps members of their family may be suffering from this same nuisance and although (by coincidence) this problem was featured on the BBC's (Channel 1) "Fake Britain" yesterday they didn't offer this solution. Maybe it only works with BT lines/numbers and not with other providers? I had never heard of it.

OK....being sceptical, it's perhaps a good job that I phoned BT rather than they phone me; as I suspect the next scam will be "I am calling from BT Technical Department to sell you a phone to stop nuisance callers.......". Fortunately, the cost of the legitimate service is added to you next phone bill so no fear of handing over a credit card number!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024