Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cat 2 Status. 13:16 - Jun 16 with 701 viewsburnsieespana

It seems we have been granted Cat 2 on a conditional basis as inspectors not happy at our existing indoor facilities but does look like we will have it for this season.
Does seem to me that a lot of obstacles are put in the way of a club wanting to develop own young players and I suppose us being a lowly Div 1 team doesn't help when we are trying to gatecrash the area dominated by Championship teams......or am I being cynical?
Cat 2 Status. on 15:55 - Jun 16 with 689 viewsLeadbelly

It does seem that way but Cat 2 gives more funding, competitive matches and better protection from other clubs trying to "nick" players. As all of that is worth having I suppose you have to expect obstacles.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Cat 2 Status. on 19:42 - Jun 16 with 677 viewsnoah4x4

The problem is where in Colchester do such indoor facilities exist? Everything available to the public (Highwoods etc.) is used by the schools during the day and is hence fully booked.

Unless we put a huge canvass or inflatable marquee type roof over the existing WHCS all weather pitches I reckon we may struggle to find a solution, and how much will that cost?

Lack of investment in indoor facilities for all sports is a problem given the town's fast growing population.
Cat 2 Status. on 20:30 - Jun 16 with 664 viewsDaniel

I've always thought it was bizarre that the club spent all that money on the training facilities, but never included a structure that allowed for an indoor training pitch.

While on the subject of developing youth players, a rep that visits me occasionally at work has a relative that's recently signed for our u17s. His name's George Brown and he joined us after being released by Tottenham. His family have been raving about how professional our development setup is and how it was key to him choosing to sign for us. Apparently he has already been training with the first team, so maybe a name to watch out for in the coming seasons.
Cat 2 Status. on 08:41 - Jun 17 with 658 viewsnoah4x4

Cat 2 Status. on 20:30 - Jun 16 by Daniel

I've always thought it was bizarre that the club spent all that money on the training facilities, but never included a structure that allowed for an indoor training pitch.

While on the subject of developing youth players, a rep that visits me occasionally at work has a relative that's recently signed for our u17s. His name's George Brown and he joined us after being released by Tottenham. His family have been raving about how professional our development setup is and how it was key to him choosing to sign for us. Apparently he has already been training with the first team, so maybe a name to watch out for in the coming seasons.

The provision of indoor sports facilities is likely to become a massive issue for the entire town Daniel, notably in North Colchester where 6,500 new houses are due to be built and the existing "leisure centres" (e.g. at Highwoods/Gilberd, Colchester Academy etc.) are already bursting to the seams with activity. Try making a block booking of the available Sports Halls for any regular (weekly) purpose. All are chocker.

Local 'public' indoor sporting needs seem to have been doubled up with school needs wherever provision has been allocated. Whilst there is much sense in that strategy, much depends on the adequacy of the investment relative to population growth and sadly that hasn't been enough. The latest loony plan seems to be to convert the current Highwoods sports hall into more class rooms and dedicate its proposed replacement to ONLY school use simply to save VAT on its construction. In the meanwhile, other proposals for public alternatives are floundering (funds required from where? planning issues? disagreements etc.?), so where will the future provision for fast growing public indoor sports hall requirements be located let alone to meet the U's new requirements?

Frankly, unless the U's find their own solution (e.g. like buy an inflatable cover over the existing all weather pitches) I fear the football club might have a real problem finding a solution. What seems so bizarre is how the 'goal posts' suddenly seem to have shifted (inside); or is this a political effort by selfish interests elsewhere in the Premier/Football League to frustrate the U's ambitions? Why wasn't this reason for denying the U's Cat 2 status cited back in August 2013 and how come it is now on the agenda? But what's so wrong with training OUTDOORS between the showers using existing facilities?
Cat 2 Status. on 08:50 - Jun 17 with 656 viewsnoah4x4

If anybody from Col U is reading this ; here is the world's leading supplier of inflatable football pitch roofs (e.g. to Ajax, Man City, Bolton etc).

http://polyned.com/voetbal_hallen_en.php

Why not ask everybody going to the Elton John Concert to donate £2?
Cat 2 Status. on 09:17 - Jun 17 with 652 viewsDaniel

The next obstacle would be getting CBC to allow such a structure to be erected - there would surely be protests from the Tiptree nimbys.
Cat 2 Status. on 10:40 - Jun 17 with 644 viewsburnsieespana

Cat 2 Status. on 08:50 - Jun 17 by noah4x4

If anybody from Col U is reading this ; here is the world's leading supplier of inflatable football pitch roofs (e.g. to Ajax, Man City, Bolton etc).

http://polyned.com/voetbal_hallen_en.php

Why not ask everybody going to the Elton John Concert to donate £2?

Is this not what Ipswich have as seem to recall reading somewhere about it. Anyway surely some land close to the stadium could be made available for a quick build without huge planning issues which could be hired out after training to other parties to bring in some income to pay for it?
Cat 2 Status. on 10:47 - Jun 17 with 644 viewsnoah4x4

Cat 2 Status. on 09:17 - Jun 17 by Daniel

The next obstacle would be getting CBC to allow such a structure to be erected - there would surely be protests from the Tiptree nimbys.

The best idea Daniel is NOT to install this at Tiptree where the NIMBY clan would be a problem, and to some degree I don't blame them as I wouldn't want this on my doorstep.

Instead, why not cover one of the existing WHCS all-weather football pitches with an 'inflatable dome'. Ipswich have a training pitch adjacent to Portman Road.

There is a distinct lack of INDOOR sports facilities within Myland, Highwoods, Boxted, Great Horkesley and here the local community/CBC might possibly welcome this given that it is a temporary structure. WHCS is not overlooked by any housing (as yet). With 6,500 houses to be built, this concept possibly makes huge sense for ALL parties.

One major problem in North Colchester is a lack of funding for sports venues. Given what RC has already invested; and the future stakes; maybe he could be persuaded to make such an investment if CBC then agree to promptly remove the barriers conditional that the community can also benefit from this 'dome'? Surely this concept is a win-win for all if some common sense is applied?

Although I have suggested a dome; there are other similar solutions;
See http://www.collinson.co.uk/construction/sport
Login to get fewer ads

Cat 2 Status. on 11:49 - Jun 17 with 637 viewsLeadbelly

Cat 2 Status. on 10:47 - Jun 17 by noah4x4

The best idea Daniel is NOT to install this at Tiptree where the NIMBY clan would be a problem, and to some degree I don't blame them as I wouldn't want this on my doorstep.

Instead, why not cover one of the existing WHCS all-weather football pitches with an 'inflatable dome'. Ipswich have a training pitch adjacent to Portman Road.

There is a distinct lack of INDOOR sports facilities within Myland, Highwoods, Boxted, Great Horkesley and here the local community/CBC might possibly welcome this given that it is a temporary structure. WHCS is not overlooked by any housing (as yet). With 6,500 houses to be built, this concept possibly makes huge sense for ALL parties.

One major problem in North Colchester is a lack of funding for sports venues. Given what RC has already invested; and the future stakes; maybe he could be persuaded to make such an investment if CBC then agree to promptly remove the barriers conditional that the community can also benefit from this 'dome'? Surely this concept is a win-win for all if some common sense is applied?

Although I have suggested a dome; there are other similar solutions;
See http://www.collinson.co.uk/construction/sport

Sadly, common sense and local government decision making rarely go hand in hand.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024