Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Centre Back solution? 08:15 - Feb 20 with 838 viewsnoah4x4

Yesterday I wandered down to Florence Park to watch the U’s under 21’s play QPR. Not the most inspiring of matches played in a horrible drizzle. Lost 0-2 and perhaps the only saving grace was that first teamers; Sembie-Ferris; Moncur; Healey; Bonne and McEvoy came through unscathed whilst Marriott and Olefumi had a run out in the second half.

I was initially sworn to secrecy; but since his appearance has been publicly announced on the U’s “Wall” I am sure that I can mention that the team included (over age) triallist Yann Songo'o of Blackburn Rovers who played a full 90 minutes. Yann is a 23 year old centre back with a big strong physical presence in the George Elokobi mould. He is the son of former Cameroonian national team goalkeeper Jacques Songo'o and his older brother is Franck Songo'o, also a professional footballer.

He looked pretty good on a day when our other very young defenders looked a tad fragile (and M.O.M Chris Lewington was brilliant in keeping the QPR score down to just two). The only worrying thing is that Songo'o has as many passport stamps as Alan Whicker at a similar age. Steve Claridge is perhaps the definition of the ‘ultimate journeyman’ having represented a whopping 19 clubs; but Songo’o is potentially on target to match him. As a youth; Yann played for Deportivo (Spain); FC Metz (France); whilst making the French U16 squad and the Cameroon U20 squad. He first became a senior at Real Zaragoza (Spain) in 2010-11 (age 19) where he made five appearances before moving to CE Sabadell FC (6 appearances). On 31 January 2012, Songo'o rescinded his contract with Sabadell and in the same day he signed a contract with Pobla de Mafumet where he made 10 appearances. Quite clearly, he was very young at this stage; but having had three professional contracts and few appearances at three clubs in such a short time might raise a few concerns. But he must be very talented to warrant such attention.

On 13th December 2012 he surfaced in the USA within the Major League when he signed for Sporting Kansas City; for whom he never played; as he was immediately out on loan to Third Division Orlando City (12 appearances) during the 2013 season. He mutually agreed to terminate his contract with Kansas in June 2013 effectively ending his loan as well.

He then turned up at Blackburn Rovers a month later and played as a triallist in two pre-season friendlies and impressed manager Gary Bowyer suffice to get a two year contract with the Championship Club and he plays once for Blackburn in the League Cup against Carlisle. He is then shipped out on loan from January 2014 to Ross County; where he has since played 17 games in the Scottish Premiership.

Quite clearly Yann now has 17 recent games as a senior at centre back at a decent level of quality (n.b. we must have some respect for Scottish Football); but I wonder is there a hint of any underlying problems? Why is he being considered at Division One level? Maybe he has been almost good enough for the very top levels and didn't quite make it? But everybody deserves their chance; and although it was only one performance, I thought he looked good enough to be a valuable addition to bolster our meagre centre half resources. Maybe Tony Humes has unearthed another potential gem. ...
[Post edited 20 Feb 2015 8:16]
Centre Back solution? on 08:26 - Feb 20 with 829 viewsSector4

Noah,

What did you think of Cory Galvin, the triallist from the suffolk club?
Centre Back solution? on 09:44 - Feb 20 with 818 viewsnoah4x4

Centre Back solution? on 08:26 - Feb 20 by Sector4

Noah,

What did you think of Cory Galvin, the triallist from the suffolk club?

He was listed amongst the substitutes and I don't recall him getting on the pitch. I certainly missed him if he did!

But Sango'o looks promising and his 23 y.o 'muscle' was conspicuous when compared to our skilful but still young 'boys'. They will no doubt 'fill out' in a year or two; but only he and Olefumi (IMHO) look ready to progress into the First XI 'back four' should we need cover from the group on display (whilst Magnus and Kent remain out). In midfield and attack the outlook is far more promising. But defenders perhaps need that extra year or so to mature.
Centre Back solution? on 11:32 - Feb 20 with 802 viewsLeadbelly

Interesting that the match report of the official website makes no mention of Songo'o.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Centre Back solution? on 11:48 - Feb 20 with 797 viewsnoah4x4

Centre Back solution? on 11:32 - Feb 20 by Leadbelly

Interesting that the match report of the official website makes no mention of Songo'o.

Mention is made in the Gazette report. The Media Team would have no greater knowledge than he was on trial and any statement would inevitably come only from Cowlings/Humes office. I am not surprised he wasnt mentioned as he didnt score etc.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024