Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What's all the fuss about? 10:36 - Apr 26 with 394 viewsTheOldOakTree

Obviously the unthinkable is not going to happen, but what is it about moving from tier 4 of the pyramid to tier 5 that is so scary?

To a Marsian, it wouldn’t appear any worse than any other relegation, especially as there’s no reselection to worry about these days.

Falling out of the Championship was inevitable, as we were only ever on vacation at those dizzy heights, dropping out of L1 was a kick in the Jacobs, but nothing we couldn’t take in our stride, but the slightest fear of the next drop and it’s like Father Christmas has just suffered life threatening injuries in a sleigh accident.

Next season, anyone playing Oldham, Hartlepool, Rochdale, Yeovil, Halifax, Saarffend etc. could be excused from thinking they are still in the league anyway. We are 25/1 to survive, yet you couldn’t get the proverbial Rizla between my @r$e cheeks (I appreciate that you wouldn’t want to attempt the feat, but that’s irrelevant).

My point is, that whatever happens, there’s no reason to commit Hari Kari, (or Harry Carpenter if you’re a pugilist). They will still sell beer in Wealdstone, it’s still going to rain on Bank Holidays, James C@rd@n will still be a tvvat and there will still be mince pies at xmas.

So for goodness sake just chill out…….

……..aaaaarrrrrrrrggggghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE MAKE THIS STOP!!!!!!
[Post edited 26 Apr 10:37]
What's all the fuss about? on 11:04 - Apr 26 with 345 viewswessex_exile

LOL - last time was a blast, given we were (one of) the biggest fish in a very small pond, but it still took two goes to escape. This time around, with the National League awash with well set up fully professional former league sides, and still only two slots available for promotion, it will be a much tougher ask to get out.

Mind you, thank god it's not three places up for promotion, or we'd be well and truly f'cked right now.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

What's all the fuss about? on 11:36 - Apr 26 with 328 viewsRSCOSWORTH

What's all the fuss about? on 11:04 - Apr 26 by wessex_exile

LOL - last time was a blast, given we were (one of) the biggest fish in a very small pond, but it still took two goes to escape. This time around, with the National League awash with well set up fully professional former league sides, and still only two slots available for promotion, it will be a much tougher ask to get out.

Mind you, thank god it's not three places up for promotion, or we'd be well and truly f'cked right now.

The National League is certainly a very different proposition now. Luton took quite some time to get out of it and look what had to happen to at Stockport and Wrexham for them to get promoted. Of the last 15 teams to get relegated (Stevenage managed to avoid it in the 2019-20 season) only three of them have returned. Grimsby, Notts County and Leyton Orient.

Yes, something we should be thankful for as the National League have been pushing for a third spot for some time now. I'm guessing with Wrexham now well away from the National League it won't be pushed quite so hard as it may have been.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

What's all the fuss about? on 12:40 - Apr 26 with 292 viewsdurham_exile

I do not agree that it would be business as usual in the National League.

Quality of football, quality of players. More shocking non-league grounds and facilities.

Possibly poorer quality pitches too.

Attendance to drop still further.

Impact on academy and facilities generally.

I used to watch non league football 50+ years ago with Enfield and have watched Colchester since 1970. I went to the Vauxhall Conference grounds for two seasons, but it wasn't pleasant and if the unthinkable were to happen then there is no guarantee of a swift return.

No Saturday is all about survival and then a return to challenging at the right end of League Two.

Never mind what Sutton do at the Franchise if we win or draw then survival is guaranteed.

Say no the National League and yes to survival.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

What's all the fuss about? on 13:31 - Apr 26 with 279 viewsTheOldOakTree

I think that’s the point I’m making. 50 years ago you had 4 divisions of professional teams and the rest were real amatuers, the same was largely true in the early 90’s, but now you have almost 5 divisions of professional teams, and (albeit limited) promotion without the reselection process. You can add Barnet, Aldershot, York and possibly Scunthorpe to the list above. All of them have less non-league grounds than Barrow, Harrogate, Accrington, Morecambe, FGR or Sutton.

The difference is not the same as it used to be, it’s just another league, only with slightly worse refs etc. It’s not much different to the difference between other divisions, but there’s still a stigma about being classed as non-league.

I’m certainly not advocating that we test my theory, because I agree that getting back into L2 would be extremely difficult, and having to play Chelmsford or Braintree would be a sobering experience, but it would be a lot better than supporting Bury, Macclesfield etc.

I agree....

Say NO to National League!!!
[Post edited 26 Apr 13:32]
What's all the fuss about? on 15:32 - Apr 26 with 216 viewsbwildered

Pressure, Australian cricketer Keith Miller said that’s having a Messerschmitt 109 up your arse.

The Normandy Veterans interviewed on TV by school kids today said, it was all about not letting your mates down has they were all in it together.

So dropping down another football tier, should be avoided if at all possible, has other life time events it is pretty much inconsequential in the scheme of things.

We pretty much earned it if we fall through the trapdoor has finishing 89 th.

Remember sitting on the Spion kop end at Layer Road, after the Burnley game in 1990, let’s not have another Groundhog Day event if it is 34 years apart.- PLEASE .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

What's all the fuss about? on 18:58 - Apr 26 with 138 viewsburnsieespana

I do not want us to see what rhe NL is about.
Have seen a few games as my son lives in Woking with the most recent being against Oldham and it is a tough division!
Beer and pues much the same but in honesty that is about all.
Refs appalling.
I just hope DC has the boys in the right frame of mind prepared to play for 100 minutes in do or die mode.
Up the U's.
What's all the fuss about? on 20:08 - Apr 26 with 92 viewswessex_exile

But then, here's the counter argument - (big) IF we go down, will it change our support for the U's? Certainly not mine. Without doubt we'll be one of the favourites for an immediate return, and depending on how the various play-off matches are concerned, there'll probably be some tasty looking awaydays too.

Definitely Aldershot, Eastleigh, Maidenhead, Daggers, Wealdstone, Woking, Ebbsfleet and of course the Seaweed, maybe also Barnet and/or Bromley, and definitely one from Chelmsford, Worthing, George's Maidstone or Braintree. And who doesn't love a trip to Yeovil?

On the flip side, with FGR already gone, if Sutton join them, can anyone realistically see either of them getting back in the football league any day soon, or even ever?

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

What's all the fuss about? on 21:12 - Apr 26 with 72 viewsMoor_Pinot

What's all the fuss about? on 20:08 - Apr 26 by wessex_exile

But then, here's the counter argument - (big) IF we go down, will it change our support for the U's? Certainly not mine. Without doubt we'll be one of the favourites for an immediate return, and depending on how the various play-off matches are concerned, there'll probably be some tasty looking awaydays too.

Definitely Aldershot, Eastleigh, Maidenhead, Daggers, Wealdstone, Woking, Ebbsfleet and of course the Seaweed, maybe also Barnet and/or Bromley, and definitely one from Chelmsford, Worthing, George's Maidstone or Braintree. And who doesn't love a trip to Yeovil?

On the flip side, with FGR already gone, if Sutton join them, can anyone realistically see either of them getting back in the football league any day soon, or even ever?

No, you're right of course Wessex, it'll not change my attitude to support for my club either. I've embraced the likelihood of relegation for two years because frankly we are a poor side declining annually.
Naturally, it's not what I want but if it happens we have good management in place and may be able to provide some uplift for the fanbase. But I see the reality of our situation as well as the far more acute world situations alongside it and whatever happens tomorrow will be ok by me. But a win to raise some spirits - if not those in Sutton - wouldn't go amiss!!

Stay Up our U's!

Moor Pinot

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024