Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Colemanballs - alive and Trotting! 22:01 - Sep 20 with 414 viewsdurham_exile

"If you take the goals out of the game, we completely dominated it."

Ian Evatt quote after the defeat at Colchester.

Must remember to use that one - not!

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Colemanballs - alive and Trotting! on 07:22 - Sep 21 with 390 viewsnoah4x4

Was their excess possession attributable to taking the ball from their net and recovering it from row Z when their shots failed to hit the target?

I havn't seen the game, but the statistics might suggest it was McGreal like tactics, with focus on defence, allow the opposition to have possession with us defending a slim advantage deep to score on the break. 0-0 at Bradford (I did see those highlights) similar.

But if not playing an out and out striker, what other tactics are possible?
Colemanballs - alive and Trotting! on 07:46 - Sep 21 with 389 viewswessex_exile

Colemanballs - alive and Trotting! on 07:22 - Sep 21 by noah4x4

Was their excess possession attributable to taking the ball from their net and recovering it from row Z when their shots failed to hit the target?

I havn't seen the game, but the statistics might suggest it was McGreal like tactics, with focus on defence, allow the opposition to have possession with us defending a slim advantage deep to score on the break. 0-0 at Bradford (I did see those highlights) similar.

But if not playing an out and out striker, what other tactics are possible?

Simple answer is no Noah. Bolton passed the ball around a lot, trying to pull us out of shape, but we were far too disciplined. At League 2 level, they weren’t good enough to keep this up for ever, and inevitably gifted possession back to the U’s. We were far more effective with the ball, more pace, more urgency, more drive - hence equal or better stats with far less of the ball.

Evatt’s quote reminds me of “apart from that Mrs Lincoln, what did you think of the show?”

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Colemanballs - alive and Trotting! on 09:44 - Sep 21 with 371 viewsMoor_Pinot

Wouldn't try a glass of Mr Evatt's Sauvignon blanc, his grapes are clearly rather sour this year.

Moor Pinot

Colemanballs - alive and Trotting! on 11:24 - Sep 21 with 353 viewsLeadbelly

So they would have won if they hadn’t lost?

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Colemanballs - alive and Trotting! on 12:34 - Sep 21 with 341 viewswessex_exile

Question - what have Southend, Bolton, Scunthorpe, Exeter and Grimsby all got in common?

Yes, they all lost on Saturday, but they also all had the majority of possession in doing so. Even Morecambe (drubbed 5-0 at home) and Oldham (lost 3-0 at Stevenage) had 49% possession.

Just goes to show it's not what you've got, but how you use it...

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Colemanballs - alive and Trotting! on 15:00 - Sep 21 with 323 viewsdurham_exile

Colemanballs - alive and Trotting! on 12:34 - Sep 21 by wessex_exile

Question - what have Southend, Bolton, Scunthorpe, Exeter and Grimsby all got in common?

Yes, they all lost on Saturday, but they also all had the majority of possession in doing so. Even Morecambe (drubbed 5-0 at home) and Oldham (lost 3-0 at Stevenage) had 49% possession.

Just goes to show it's not what you've got, but how you use it...

I say steady on old man!

Up the effcient in possession U's

Durham_exile

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024