Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Robbie on the radio 12:05 - Mar 24 with 973 viewsRSCOSWORTH

For anyone who hasn't heard it yet.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p09bm153

Makes for some interesting listening.

CheeRS

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Robbie on the radio on 15:31 - Mar 24 with 936 viewsburnsieespana

A frank assessment of the situation.
My concern is will those clubs who have not paid bills, tax, etc find a way of escaping the responsibility at our expense?
Robbie on the radio on 16:46 - Mar 24 with 922 viewsDaniel

One the one hand, Robbie Cowling comes across as a wise man, and on the other, he comes across as a deluded idiot. I think the difference is businessman vs football man.

I appreciate his honesty about the club's financial position and survival, but he continues to be stubborn and forget that the club's supporters are its customers and our views matter more than anyones. The financial position does not justify the same crap one dimensional tactics that have been our downfall over the past decade and he completely ignores the request for the club to revert back to blue & white stripes.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Robbie on the radio on 18:11 - Mar 24 with 890 viewsmfb_cufc

Robbie on the radio on 16:46 - Mar 24 by Daniel

One the one hand, Robbie Cowling comes across as a wise man, and on the other, he comes across as a deluded idiot. I think the difference is businessman vs football man.

I appreciate his honesty about the club's financial position and survival, but he continues to be stubborn and forget that the club's supporters are its customers and our views matter more than anyones. The financial position does not justify the same crap one dimensional tactics that have been our downfall over the past decade and he completely ignores the request for the club to revert back to blue & white stripes.

Well said Daniel.

mfb

Robbie on the radio on 19:48 - Mar 24 with 870 viewswessex_exile

Robbie on the radio on 16:46 - Mar 24 by Daniel

Certainly not a deluded idiot in my book, but definitely a businessman at heart - and why not. He was very clear in that interview, his aim is to get the U's into a financial position where we are truly self-sufficient. I hadn't appreciated until he said it in the interview that we were very close to achieving break-even before the pandemic struck. For a football club, that's a massive achievement, and gives me genuine hope for our future if and when he decides to move on.

You're right, we are customers as well as supporters, and it is important that isn't forgotten. I would also argue that far from being stubborn, he has listened to the supporters on many issues over the years - accepted sometimes not as promptly as some would like, but also acknowledged that whatever decisions he does make will always please some and annoy others, our cultural diversity is too large to please everyone. There are also those for whom nothing he does will be right, whatever that may be.

Personally, although I don't mind the all-blue shirt if I'm honest, I do look forward to seeing us back in the blue and white stripes before too long (next season?), but it's honestly not a big deal in the overall scheme of things. It's not like the colour of our shirts has anything to do with our performances after all. I would like to see us return to having stripes as our preferred kit, and then clash kits thereafter, but I also don't know the finances involved, and how much relies on that away shirt sponsorship as part of his financial structuring for the club.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Robbie on the radio on 20:40 - Mar 24 with 859 viewsDaniel

The kit may not be an issue in the grand scheme of things, but it costs nothing to give the fans a kit they want (the Southend kit vote has proved that) and it make business sense too as well. I haven't bought a shirt this season nor did I buy last seasons home shirt - that's cost the club money. Instead of respecting the club's heritage it's another case of 'this is my club not yours'.
Robbie on the radio on 21:11 - Mar 24 with 852 viewswessex_exile

Robbie on the radio on 20:40 - Mar 24 by Daniel

The kit may not be an issue in the grand scheme of things, but it costs nothing to give the fans a kit they want (the Southend kit vote has proved that) and it make business sense too as well. I haven't bought a shirt this season nor did I buy last seasons home shirt - that's cost the club money. Instead of respecting the club's heritage it's another case of 'this is my club not yours'.

But that relies on your negative assumption that Robbie's motivation to chose the all-blue kit was a "this is my club not yours" two-fingers at us all and the club's heritage, which it patently wasn't. It's worth noting that though yes, 52% did vote for the blue and white stripes (which Robbie chose as an option to be voted for in the first place), the remaining 48% didn't.

I don't mind admitting I voted for blue and yellow, despite the fact we have absolutely no history associated with that shirt, and significant heritage in both all-blue and all-white kits at various points in our history. I did so because as a one-off kit I actually though it looked kind of cool - and would gladly have bought one if it was available. Not as a permanent kit for the next season necessarily, it just looked nicer than the other two. Like you, I haven't bought an all-blue kit, but I rarely do buy new kits for myself these days, so I'm probably a poor demographic for the marketing people.

I did buy Alfie the grey camo kit, and he really liked it, probably for no other reason than it meant he didn't look like a me clone on matchdays if we were travelling.

Up the U's

Robbie on the radio on 21:31 - Mar 24 with 848 viewsDaniel

Sadly, my negative assumption comes from me attending a season ticket holders meeting where he spouted those exact words, and it's stuck ever since.
Robbie on the radio on 23:55 - Mar 24 with 830 viewsLeadbelly

Cowling has always had a strange attitude towards the fans. After season ticket prices were announced for the first season at the Community Stadium (you will all recall how well that went down) Cowling was approached by a concerned individual who advised him that the prices were too high and the club was in danger of losing long term fans who simply couldn’t afford it. I have it on very good authority that his reply was “they’re not the sort of fans we need”.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Login to get fewer ads

Robbie on the radio on 08:20 - Mar 25 with 813 viewswessex_exile

Robbie on the radio on 21:31 - Mar 24 by Daniel

Sadly, my negative assumption comes from me attending a season ticket holders meeting where he spouted those exact words, and it's stuck ever since.

Okay, I wouldn’t have been at that meeting for obvious reasons. If he did say exactly that, what meeting was it, and what was the context?

Up the U's

Robbie on the radio on 10:38 - Mar 25 with 796 viewsdurham_exile

I have bought more Col U merchandise over the past 5 years than over the previous 45.

I don't have a problem with the all blue kit, the camo or the green shirt.

The irony is that we can't attend the games to sport them in support of the team.

Regarding the latest Chairman's statement.

Providing we survive the threat of relegation this season and if we are still in the black then his stance will have been fully vindicated.

If the unthinkable happens and we are relegated then the chairman would have to consider whether since 2007 he has actually hastened our decline.

In fairness to him he has always come across as an honest broker.

Let's get those 53 points and look forward to league football next season.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Robbie on the radio on 15:41 - Mar 25 with 758 viewsburnsieespana

Having supported Colchester United for 64 years I have no feelings as to be what colour shirts worn home or away, no strong feelings about music played when they run out, the food or beer sold, etc
All I care is the club I support survives this dreadful period and whilst I would be exceedingly saddened if we are relagated so long as the right decisions are taken about getting back up I accept it as I still believe we will see clubs go to the wall over the next two years.
If you say I lack ambition I reject it but my only desire and wish is we survive.
Don't get me wrong I do not want to be in the National League but my son moved to Woking a couple of years ago and he does some voluntary PR work for them so have seen a few games and the standard is vastly different from 30 years ago.
To survive I don't think we will need 53 points as that would mean a phenomenal performance from either Southend or Grimsby getting 20 and 21points respectively from again respectively last 10 and 11 games.
Grimsby still have to play Salford, Exeter and Cambridge away plus Cheltenham, Bolton and Morecambe at home from teams realistically chasing either automatic promotion or the play offs.
Southend have to play Morecambe, Exeter away and Newport at home of the sides likely to be chasing promotion.
You could argue they have the easier run in of the two but my, how important is our home game on 20th of April against Southend
I suspect 47 points will be enough so a win on Saturday would help our cause immensely and oddly enough, by a quirk of fate, Southend and Grimsby also have to play Bradford!
Come on you U's let's get a good result on Saturday.
[Post edited 25 Mar 2021 15:46]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024