Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Exeter tonight 10:34 - Nov 23 with 1370 viewsRSCOSWORTH

This evening we welcome the team with the "current longest unbeaten run in English professional football."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59376507

About time they got beat then!

Up the U's!

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Exeter tonight on 13:00 - Nov 23 with 1330 viewsMoor_Pinot

Yes, and time it was we that beat them.
Trouble is who have we to choose from? There seem to be several injuries and will Tovide be given another start poor lad? We must be adventurous and use Dobra and Jasper in the CF position.

Living here I have our satellite dish tuned to my old BBC Spotlight region and have seen plenty of Exeter coverage this season. Jevani Brown looks good there as does Jay and they have a smooth pacy progress up the pitch unlike what we do.

Can't say I feel optimistic about any points by Saturday but someone's got to end their run.

We just need to start one but comparing the two managers ahead of tonight..... Err, there's a clear difference.

Moor Pinot

Exeter tonight on 13:01 - Nov 23 with 1329 viewsnoah4x4

To beat them we need to score a goal. Frankly, 0 - 0 might be a good result as we will struggle to stop them scoring, especially if Eastman , Wiredu and Clampin remain injured. I have zero confidence in a Smith & Chambers centre back plus Daniels combination. Too slow and too vulnerable.
Exeter tonight on 13:03 - Nov 23 with 1328 viewswessex_exile

Well the encouraging thing is that all runs come to an end eventually, and statistically speaking the longer the run the closer that end becomes. However, are we up to the task - answers on a postcard sometime after 9.30pm tonight please.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Exeter tonight on 13:27 - Nov 23 with 1311 viewswessex_exile

Incidentally, our record is also 20 games unbeaten, back in 56/57 under Benny Fenton. In the (relatively) modern era, Roy McDonough managed 18 games in our second season in the Conference, and then later the same season and into our return to the football league 19 games. More recently, Steve Wignall managed 19 games unbeaten in 96/97.

Up the U's

Exeter tonight on 13:46 - Nov 23 with 1303 viewsdurham_exile

Exeter City in Town tonight at the JSCS. Matt Taylor is making a good fist of getting the Grecians into the promotion fray again. They also have the Indian Sign over us, but it was not always so. All-time record: Exeter wins 34, Draws 28, Colchester wins 28.

Table

1 FGR 16 34
2 Exeter 17 32
3 PV 17 29

20 COL U 16 17

But they no longer have Ryan Bowman, who was single handedly their trump card against the U’s.

Matt Jay and someone called Jevani Brown will however be in the side tonight.

Frankly losing at Stevenage undid all the good work of recent weeks but we have the chance against all the odds to defeat Exeter and Newport this week and really stick it to those critics. But HM must be bold.

Injuries are mounting up with Clampin, Wiredu, Kennedy, Eastman and George all out.

Alan Judge might be back though.

Team:

Turner

MWH Chambers Smith Daniels

Skuse Judge Chilvers

Jasper Sears Dobra

Subs

Gerken Tchamadeu Cooper Hannant McCoulsky Nouble Tovide

Weather will be 3 degrees Celsius, mostly clear and dry

Score 3-2 to the Super U’s

Enjoy the game

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Exeter tonight on 17:54 - Nov 23 with 1232 viewsRSCOSWORTH

I'm interested to see what kind of reception Brown gets to night. I'm expecting it to be as cold as the weather right now. Going to be freezing at the stadium tonight.

Exeter tonight on 20:38 - Nov 23 with 1163 viewsgerry_us

I think I am dreaming
Oh no. 2-0 at half time.
Exeter tonight on 20:45 - Nov 23 with 1150 viewsburnsieespana

I defo am! Was avoiding looking online when my son Watts apped me the HT score.
Login to get fewer ads

Exeter tonight on 20:50 - Nov 23 with 1145 viewsnoah4x4

Exeter giving us lots of space to play in. 2-0 deserved
Exeter tonight on 21:31 - Nov 23 with 1115 viewsdurham_exile

Absolutely brilliant.

Had a meeting tonight just got in and absolutely ecstatic.

Up the U's

And Brown taken off so all good news.

bring on the Exiles

Durham_exile

Exeter tonight on 21:37 - Nov 23 with 1111 viewsdurham_exile

Exeter tonight on 21:31 - Nov 23 by durham_exile

Absolutely brilliant.

Up the U's

bring on the Exiles

Our season starts tonight.

Over the moon doesn't even do it justice.

3-1 to the Super U's

Up the U's
[Post edited 23 Nov 2021 21:42]

Durham_exile

Exeter tonight on 21:43 - Nov 23 with 1098 viewsgerry_us

Exeter tonight on 21:31 - Nov 23 by durham_exile

Absolutely brilliant.

Up the U's

bring on the Exiles

Perhaps you should go out more often on match days...much less stressful
Exeter tonight on 21:54 - Nov 23 with 1081 viewsdurham_exile

Exeter tonight on 21:43 - Nov 23 by gerry_us

Perhaps you should go out more often on match days...much less stressful

Brilliant result.

I will be watching Friday night for three more points.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Exeter tonight on 22:01 - Nov 23 with 1076 viewswessex_exile

When I realised my iFollow feed was about 5 minutes behind the action, I've stayed offline deliberately, didn't want to jinx anything by knowing before I saw it what was happening.

Simply magnificent, and against one of the best teams I've seen this season so far. Rock solid defence, good on the counter, and took the chances we had with consummate skill. Nothing more than we deserved!

Edit: ...and I thought Jake Turner was superb!
[Post edited 23 Nov 2021 22:02]

Up the U's

Exeter tonight on 22:10 - Nov 23 with 1049 viewsgerry_us

Attendance 2028.....ouch.
Exeter tonight on 22:24 - Nov 23 with 1030 viewswessex_exile

Exeter tonight on 22:10 - Nov 23 by gerry_us

Attendance 2028.....ouch.

We'll cope, as the only negative of a brilliant display.

Up the U's

Exeter tonight on 22:24 - Nov 23 with 1030 viewsbwildered

Three excellent finishes by the U’s , but the defence was worthy tonight. MOM was Turner who looked solid throughout.
My moan, just need to control more of midfield has games are easier with the ball than without, losing possession when require to regurgitate the ball .
[Post edited 23 Nov 2021 22:27]

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Exeter tonight on 22:31 - Nov 23 with 1016 viewsdurham_exile

Exeter tonight on 22:24 - Nov 23 by bwildered

Three excellent finishes by the U’s , but the defence was worthy tonight. MOM was Turner who looked solid throughout.
My moan, just need to control more of midfield has games are easier with the ball than without, losing possession when require to regurgitate the ball .

Bwildered once Wiredu is back he will stiffen the midfield

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Exeter tonight on 22:45 - Nov 23 with 1008 viewsnoah4x4

Exeter tonight on 22:24 - Nov 23 by bwildered

Fair summary Bewildered. We could so easily have lost 3-4. Exeter had a “how did we not score” night of the type normal for the U’s. Their open play gave us scoring chances and, unusually, all of our three shots on target found the back of the net.
Exeter tonight on 23:00 - Nov 23 with 1000 viewsdurham_exile

Exeter tonight on 22:45 - Nov 23 by noah4x4

Fair summary Bewildered. We could so easily have lost 3-4. Exeter had a “how did we not score” night of the type normal for the U’s. Their open play gave us scoring chances and, unusually, all of our three shots on target found the back of the net.

Had we just taken a couple of chances at the Lamex things would look even rosier.

Brilliant from Col U tonight.

Durham_exile

Exeter tonight on 09:09 - Nov 24 with 935 viewsbwildered

Despite the scoreline this was very much a smash and grab performance with only one third possession. Playing to that scenario requires everyone to be on their game regards composure and concentrate, has lots of ground conceded. The side need to get results on the board first and foremost and get some consistency.
Probably has a display the best for some time, not sure the crowds would flood back playing on the back foot for vast chunks of the game time tests everyone’s patients. Will take the same again though for Fri has small steps forward to climb to the top half of the table helps rather than players playing near the trap door.
And Jevani watch, started brightly, some nice touches but not significant, gradually became ineffective, was left watching Chilvers score in the second half and subbed with his team losing, much like his career here previously.

Exeter tonight on 09:42 - Nov 24 with 927 viewsMoor_Pinot

Exeter tonight on 09:09 - Nov 24 by bwildered

Despite the scoreline this was very much a smash and grab performance with only one third possession. Playing to that scenario requires everyone to be on their game regards composure and concentrate, has lots of ground conceded. The side need to get results on the board first and foremost and get some consistency.
Probably has a display the best for some time, not sure the crowds would flood back playing on the back foot for vast chunks of the game time tests everyone’s patients. Will take the same again though for Fri has small steps forward to climb to the top half of the table helps rather than players playing near the trap door.
And Jevani watch, started brightly, some nice touches but not significant, gradually became ineffective, was left watching Chilvers score in the second half and subbed with his team losing, much like his career here previously.

Can't disagree with the analysis bewildered.
Will take the result and something similar on Friday. Consistency can only result from confidence gained in results, just as Exeter's run has.

Was pleased with Chilvers again - good player and pleasantly surprised by the centre backs neither of whom have ever impressed me. As you say goalkeeper excellent.

Moor Pinot

Exeter tonight on 08:54 - Nov 25 with 817 viewsRSCOSWORTH

I was one of the 2,028 and sat there before the game discussing how we'd never felt less optimistic about getting a result and less than two hours later we've won 3-1 against a side who hadn't lost since August. Typical Col U.

I think Mullins got the team and tactics spot on considering the injuries and opposition. Exeter were always going to have more of the ball than us, they're a better side and are playing with more confidence, and after taking an early lead we seemed even more happy for them to have the ball although we didn't do a great job of keeping it ourselves. Mullins knew that we could hit them on the break and we used this to our advantage. We rode our luck at times but how many saves did Turner make that you wouldn't expect him to make? One? Maybe two? And it wasn't like they missed a load of simple chances either.

On the subject of Turner I thought he played well enough and made one outstanding save but his kicking was atrocious and was possibly at fault for their goal too. Don't think I've ever seen a keeper punch so often too but I guess that's just the modern goalkeeper. A decent performance but not man of the match for me. I'll wait for Gerry, our goalkeeping authority, to share his view.

Exeter tonight on 10:23 - Nov 25 with 787 viewsbwildered

Depending on number of bodies in the six yard box, punching is the second best option after obviously catching. Turner got a punch away, but the ball was returned back into the box by two visitors touches .
Regards the kicking, with no height upfront game management would decree aiming the ball into touch line positions to try and dictate and control play , rather than the ball being won easily by the opponents in the middle of field with then more play options. Sam Walker played a similar ploy when John Ward was manager, so it is not always bad kicking but deliberate in game time.

Exeter tonight on 12:29 - Nov 25 with 766 viewsgerry_us

Exeter tonight on 08:54 - Nov 25 by RSCOSWORTH

I was one of the 2,028 and sat there before the game discussing how we'd never felt less optimistic about getting a result and less than two hours later we've won 3-1 against a side who hadn't lost since August. Typical Col U.

I think Mullins got the team and tactics spot on considering the injuries and opposition. Exeter were always going to have more of the ball than us, they're a better side and are playing with more confidence, and after taking an early lead we seemed even more happy for them to have the ball although we didn't do a great job of keeping it ourselves. Mullins knew that we could hit them on the break and we used this to our advantage. We rode our luck at times but how many saves did Turner make that you wouldn't expect him to make? One? Maybe two? And it wasn't like they missed a load of simple chances either.

On the subject of Turner I thought he played well enough and made one outstanding save but his kicking was atrocious and was possibly at fault for their goal too. Don't think I've ever seen a keeper punch so often too but I guess that's just the modern goalkeeper. A decent performance but not man of the match for me. I'll wait for Gerry, our goalkeeping authority, to share his view.

"In my day" catching was the only thing as the penalty box was not crowded like it is today. Forwards nowadays seem more interested in "impeding" the keeper to the benefit of other members of their team.
Unfortunately I don't see much of the "referee protecting the keeper" that you hear a lot of nowadays.
Turner is a young man and will learn in the coming years. He looks confident to me but, yes his kicking needs working on.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024