Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Colchester 4 - 4 Plymouth FA Youth Cup (U18). U's lose on penalties. 22:46 - Nov 20 with 435 viewsnoah4x4

The U's started with both Macca Bonne and Sammie Szmodics up front. Neither scored; but each made outstanding contributions.

My fear is how much has120 minutes of intense end to end entertainment (with extra time) taken out of Bonne? His tame initial penalty in the decisive shoot out was easily saved (surely a product of his weary legs?). This set up the Plymouth victory in the most cruel manner. Super-sub Szmodics didn't quite play 90 minutes; but he was only withdrawn after multiple lung bursting runs. Both seemed to have acquired a slight limp by the death. Surely this competition doesn't mean so much that these young first team squad members needed to play until near exhaustion?

Three times the U's went behind after woefully losing the ball in or across the back four whilst trying to play out from defence (much like the First XI). The Plymouth fourth was again a product of U's careless loss of possession in attack. But four times our youngsters hit back and equalised with some super attacking football that (unlike the First XI) didn't crawl out of defence to the front. It flew from end to end with real 'zip'.

We hit both the bar and post in fewer seconds that it takes me to type that combination; and frankly the U's deserved to win; had we not been so easily dispossessed on four occasions. But the bonus for me; the fourth U's goal was neatly tucked away by Aussie import Patrick O'Shea. He looks like another useful acquisition.

So there won't be a trip to Villa Park for these lads. Shame; as i really enjoyed their performance.

[Post edited 20 Nov 2013 22:49]
Colchester 4 - 4 Plymouth FA Youth Cup (U18). U's lose on penalties. on 05:52 - Nov 21 with 422 viewsbwildered

Excellent entertainment on a bitter night, despite the result. The U's always had to chase the game, after conceding in the first few minutes, at the start of each half, which set a president for the rest of the game.
The U's played some fast free flowing football in the first half, which unsurprising was less evident in the second half has the game became more traditional.
Lets not forget it is a learning curve still for these players, who worked hard throughout, never let their heads drop, but could not finish the game off after retrieving it four times . Hard lessons learnt .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024