Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Best live album thread 10:30 - Dec 16 with 24185 viewsBlackCrowe

Live at the apollo - james brown
It's alive - ramones
Quo live - Quo
Babylon by bus - Marley
live and dangerous - lizzy

Over to you...

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Best live album thread on 17:56 - Dec 17 with 5796 views18StoneOfHoop

One of the best most coherent,complimentary,well blended reggae albums ever.

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

Best live album thread on 20:47 - Dec 17 with 5758 viewsRamseyR

Best live album thread on 21:49 - Dec 16 by Monahoop

Irish Tour '74 - Rory Gallagher
Stupidity - Dr Feelgood

Do session albums count? If so, Paul Weller's BBC sessions double album.

Have always been a fan of Down By The Jetty, but have just downloaded Stupidity and had a first listen through...great stuff.

Love this site for discovering music that has passed me by
Best live album thread on 21:09 - Dec 17 with 5751 viewsMonahoop

Best live album thread on 17:47 - Dec 17 by WilloW4

Played 'stupidity' by the mighty dr.feelgood today, what a wonderful record, brilleaux at his snarling best.

Glad you and RamseyR enjoyed Stupidity.

I forgot to add Warts 'n' Audience Plus by Ian Dury and the Blockheads to my list. Classic.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

Best live album thread on 21:16 - Dec 17 with 5750 viewslarsricchi

Descendents - Liveage!
The Cure - Entreat

I still listen to Depeche Mode 101 on occasion, even if it's not great.
Best live album thread on 07:03 - Dec 18 with 5713 viewsmerseyhoop

For me it is the Happy Mondays Elland Road 91, one of the best gigs I have ever been to. Ok, Ryder is not the best live singer and at the time you never knew what type of performance you would get from the band due to partying excesses but on that day they were superb. They were well supported that day by The Las, Farm, Northside & The High.

The live album is 'Baby Big Head' (bootleg) or Happy Mondays - Live

http://www.cerysmaticfactory.info/facd322.php

http://sabotagetimes.com/football/are-you-man-utd-you-when-the-happy-mondays-pla

U Rsssssssssssss
Best live album thread on 12:28 - Dec 18 with 5694 viewsGaryT

Saw the thread title and instantly thought of Talking Head's Stop Making Sense.
Other favourites are Billy Joel - Songs in the Attic
Tom Waits - Nighthawks at the Diner
Rowan Atkinson - Live in Belfast...maybe not the right place for this one.
Best live album thread on 13:42 - Dec 18 with 5685 viewsWilloW4

Best live album thread on 12:28 - Dec 18 by GaryT

Saw the thread title and instantly thought of Talking Head's Stop Making Sense.
Other favourites are Billy Joel - Songs in the Attic
Tom Waits - Nighthawks at the Diner
Rowan Atkinson - Live in Belfast...maybe not the right place for this one.

Tom waits -nighthawks at the diner is a great shout, but then you mention Rowan Atkinson ...each to their own GaryT, as someone wrote about punching Phil Collins in the face all day, I could do the same to Atkinson ..apart from blackadder everything I've seen him do is absolute pony...mr.bean etc....oh dear, oh dear.
Best live album thread on 14:41 - Dec 18 with 5674 viewsGaryT

Best live album thread on 13:42 - Dec 18 by WilloW4

Tom waits -nighthawks at the diner is a great shout, but then you mention Rowan Atkinson ...each to their own GaryT, as someone wrote about punching Phil Collins in the face all day, I could do the same to Atkinson ..apart from blackadder everything I've seen him do is absolute pony...mr.bean etc....oh dear, oh dear.

We are sort of on the same page Willo. Check out this early live album, it's up there with some of his best Blackadder stuff. As you say, Mr Bean etc....oh dear oh dear.
Login to get fewer ads

Best live album thread on 17:58 - Dec 18 with 5644 viewsbrad

Best live album thread on 22:02 - Dec 16 by Hoop_Du_Jour

Yeah, AC/DC If You Want Blood!!!

bruce springsteen live at the LA sports arena california 1988,..out since july..
Best live album thread on 22:32 - Dec 18 with 5629 viewsqpr1976

Best live album thread on 11:25 - Dec 16 by EastR

Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense

Ditto

And the film of it is excellent too.
Best live album thread on 23:30 - Dec 18 with 5623 viewsHanwellHoop

Not really a fan of live albums but Nirvana MTV Unplugged was a good un. If you like Nirvana anyway.
Best live album thread on 02:41 - Dec 19 with 5609 viewsFredManRave

Best live album thread on 11:39 - Dec 17 by Bluce_Ree

F*ck yes. This Must Be The Place is the best live thing that has ever been.

Also:

The Cure - Cure in Orange (before they got shit)
Banshees - Nocturne (before they got too old)
The Cult - Live at the Lyceum (before they turned into rock posers)

Good call re the Cult and Live At The Lyceum, Bluce. Was the first music VHS cassette music video reel thingy that I owned.

I realise that it's de rigueur to hate U2 and their music from the last 30 years but even so I'm still surprised there's not been one mention of Under A Blood Red Sky. A great live album and again I loved the VHS cassette music version. Great stuff for the early 80's, imo.

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Best live album thread on 06:36 - Dec 19 with 5596 viewscorse

misty in roots: live at the counter eurovision 79
stiff little fingers: hanx
Best live album thread on 07:33 - Dec 19 with 5586 viewsBlackCrowe

Best live album thread on 17:56 - Dec 17 by 18StoneOfHoop

One of the best most coherent,complimentary,well blended reggae albums ever.

omg - forgot all about this album - just tried to find it on CD and can't get it for under £30!!

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Best live album thread on 08:12 - Dec 19 with 5580 viewsKerryE

Gratitude by Earth Wind & Fire.
Best live album thread on 13:27 - Mar 1 with 4851 viewsToast_R

I forgot about this one The Legendary Bootleg Series Vol 4. Disk 2 - without doubt one of the best live recordings I've heard.
The wall of sound that must have greeted the audience at the Manchester Free Trade Hall for the opening verse of "Tell Me Momma" must have been quite something. Gives me goose pimples when that comes on my iPod, I love the build up to it and the way it comes crashing through.
Best live album thread on 14:54 - Mar 1 with 4804 viewsLadbrokeR

David Bowie live July 1974 at the Tower Theatre, Philadelphia.
Best live album thread on 15:25 - Mar 1 with 4774 viewskensalriser

Best live album thread on 11:49 - Dec 16 by RamseyR

The Meteors - Live
Stiff Little Fingers - Hanx
Theatre of Hate - He Who Dares Wins

He Who Dares Wins killed the eventual studio album. The Peel sessions even more so.

Such a shame they screwed up that album. Big mistake getting a rookie Mick Jones in to produce!

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Best live album thread on 15:34 - Mar 1 with 4767 viewsDorse

Honourable mention for Fandango by ZZ Top. Texas boogie.
Quo Live - awesome
Space Ritual - wish I'd been there

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Best live album thread on 16:30 - Mar 1 with 4737 viewsjohann28

Best live album thread on 10:34 - Dec 16 by WilloW4

Two of my faves there BlackCrowe in the Ramones and thin lizzy.. Irish tour '74 by the mighty Rory Gallagher..and Folsom prison blues by mr.johnny cash.

Rory G Irish Tour - seconded. Lucky enough to hear him in the 70s - quite the best thing I've ever heard.
Best live album thread on 16:38 - Mar 1 with 4725 viewsColinr

Best live album thread on 11:12 - Dec 16 by Toast_R

Thin Lizzy : Live & Dangerous or though debatable how much of the music is from the actual live recording.

Queen, Live Killers
Free : Disk 6 on Songs of Yesterday, superb recordings some from Croydon Fairfield Halls.

The Thin Lizzy L & D debate is more down to Visconti overstating his "performance. Listen to "Still Dangerous" which was a bootleg from the tour used and see just how little difference in quality there is. Robbo and Downey still refute his % of studio takes.
L & D remains my favourite live album.
Rush "All the worlds a stage" Neil Young and Crazy Horse "Weld" still get decent air play
Best live album thread on 17:28 - Mar 1 with 4694 viewsBklynRanger

Two that spring to mind are:

- Built to Spill Live. I actually think it's their best album.

- Neil Young Live at Massey Hall. Near the beginning he says he's going to play a lot of new stuff tonight and you can hear (or maybe I imagine it) the crowd giving off faint vibes of disappointment. Turns out he plays 5 or 6 songs that would end up on Harvest. Mad to hear them in such an early form.
Best live album thread on 19:04 - Mar 1 with 4662 viewsRamseyR

Best live album thread on 15:25 - Mar 1 by kensalriser

He Who Dares Wins killed the eventual studio album. The Peel sessions even more so.

Such a shame they screwed up that album. Big mistake getting a rookie Mick Jones in to produce!

The studio album was such a disappointment and didn't showcase what they were about at all. They are still playing live with the same intensity as 30 odd years ago.

Loved the John Peel sessions...given me an idea for a thread
Best live album thread on 19:23 - Mar 1 with 4645 viewsdanehoop

Agreeing with quite a lot here - Hanx in particular sticks out. Also agree with the U2 live at Red Rocks album - they were just breaking through and doing something very different and innovative and the album really captures that certain excitement that they had.

Depeche Mode 101 was a very good album, again a band just reaching its peak.

Also should mention the Jam - Dig the New Breed. Never quite captured the power and passion of the band, but by god they sound good.

The projected passion review by Dexys Midnight Runners was a hidden gem, Dexys pre Gypsy time.

Never knowingly understood

Best live album thread on 19:46 - Mar 1 with 4632 viewsToast_R

Best live album thread on 16:38 - Mar 1 by Colinr

The Thin Lizzy L & D debate is more down to Visconti overstating his "performance. Listen to "Still Dangerous" which was a bootleg from the tour used and see just how little difference in quality there is. Robbo and Downey still refute his % of studio takes.
L & D remains my favourite live album.
Rush "All the worlds a stage" Neil Young and Crazy Horse "Weld" still get decent air play

Yeah I agree, Still Dangerous was quite a lot poorer in sound quality. The Live & Dangerous Deluxe addition wasn't bad, added Bad Rep and Opium Trail to the listing and both top quality and two of my favourites.

Have you heard the Live 75 album? This captures performances of their warm up gigs before the release of the Jail Break album where Robbo and Gorham were bedding in with that twin lead. It's Raw as f*ck but a captures some really good performances. The Still In Love With You recording is absolutey top notch and shows you what a great Bass player Lynott really was. Then my personal fave Showdown, epic Brian Robertson guitar solo at the end, one of the all time great live tracks. Cannot recommend highly enough for Lizzy fans.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024