Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Are we doing so bad that ML needed a sack (last year compared to this year) 12:50 - Feb 5 with 2386 viewsChefbech

Last year was exceptional and in many ways a season much better than we could expect.

Facts: last year we managed to grab 8 point from our games against the top 7:
(Arsenal 3, United 1, City 1, Chelsea 1, Everton 1, Liverpool 1 and Tottenham 0)
If you take those points of the table — we would have ended at 38 point — 2 points away from relegation.
When looking at budgets, players and so on, then any point against top 7 must be considered as a bonus.

This season we have — so far — managed to grab just 1 point (Liverpool) against the top 7 (same teams as last season). Of the 14 games against the top 7 we only have 4 games left (Chelsea (home) and Arsenal, Liverpool and Everton (away)). Still we have managed to gather 24 points (23 if taking away Liverpool).

Is the team performing poorly in terms of getting points on the board? Say it does and it continues to do so. By that rational, it would mean that we should only manage to get the same amount of points that we have gotten so far against the teams we remain to meet (not from top 7): West Bromwich, Norwich, Stoke, Southampton, Aston Villa, Newcastle, Sunderland, Hull, Crystal Palace and Cardiff.
So far we have gotten 16 point in those 10 games, and by adding them to 23, we will end at 39 point (40 when including the 1 point against Liverpool).

Is that a crises? 6 points less than last season? Considering the amount of games played this season (adding up last year by winning the Cup), where we are still in the FA (beating United) and still in the Europa League, and comparing that with the lack of quality entering the squad not to mention the injuries among key players, one should actually be surprised, that we are not placed lower in the table already.

Face it. Last season started out against teams not in top 7 and after a fantastic start, we settled. Halfway after having met top 7 we were good in the middle of things. Then came more games against teams not in top 7, and we looked good. In fact so good that supporters tend to forget, that we only got 6 points in our last 10 games last season. 6 points in 10 games!

Now it is sort of the other way around. We started out tough with many games against top 7, and now we are at it again (almost done). We have 14 games left and of those, just 4 games against teams in top 7. Some argue that we have gotten too few points over the past 7-8 games. Other than a win against Fulham and a loss to West Ham we have met: Tottenham, United, City, Villa, Chelsea, and Everton (we managed 1 point against Villa). Five teams from top 7 and 0 points. That was to be expected.

With the games ahead there is absolutely no way that we should be afraid of relegation med ML in control. With Monk it might be a different story, however the quality of the team alone should do the trick and keep Swansea in PL. But sacking ML should never have been an issue.
Are we doing so bad that ML needed a sack (last year compared to this year) on 12:55 - Feb 5 with 2361 viewsjackharris

To answer your question yes! Our form is shocking last 38 league games 9 wins, 9 draws and 20 loses! Relegation form over a whole season. He was living on his name and cup success. Thanks but bye.

Very proud to be voted Planet Swans Poster of the Year 2017 by my fellow posters. Especially on a site that nearly had 20 million impressions last year.
Poll: What is your favourite Knock?

Are we doing so bad that ML needed a sack (last year compared to this year) on 12:56 - Feb 5 with 2357 viewsJackFish

That's all very true, and I would have agreed with you on the weekend.

But this sacking is patently not about results; it's about Laudrup's attitude, his lack of commitment to training, transfers and preparation. The results themselves haven't been too bad, but performances have been noticeably worse since the cup final, and if it is true that the players wanted him to go because they'd lost faith in him, what other option did we have?
Are we doing so bad that ML needed a sack (last year compared to this year) on 13:34 - Feb 5 with 2290 viewsJackanapes

Are we doing so bad that ML needed a sack (last year compared to this year) on 12:56 - Feb 5 by JackFish

But this sacking is patently not about results; it's about Laudrup's attitude, his lack of commitment to training, transfers and preparation. The results themselves haven't been too bad, but performances have been noticeably worse since the cup final, and if it is true that the players wanted him to go because they'd lost faith in him, what other option did we have?

Thats a fair point, because results wise, we are doing the same as we did last season.

“The stupidest thing she knew was for people to act like they knew all about the things they knew absolutely nothing about.”

Are we doing so bad that ML needed a sack (last year compared to this year) on 13:45 - Feb 5 with 2255 viewsSpratty

Are we doing so bad that ML needed a sack (last year compared to this year) on 12:56 - Feb 5 by JackFish

IF it is true
Are we doing so bad that ML needed a sack (last year compared to this year) on 16:26 - Feb 5 with 2133 viewsPlasticman

I find this hard to believe given the praise Jenkins were lavishing when they presented the extended contract.

If those things had really been the issue, they would have been present before the club extended Laudrups contract.

It feels like revisionism to me, and I firmly believe the cause is something that happened at some point after they had extended his contract. When exactly is hard to tell, though, but I figure it must have been the cause for, and therefore prior to, some of the many subtle digs the board began to air in the public that fed to the unsettling of their own club.

Plastic since 2012

Are we doing so bad that ML needed a sack (last year compared to this year) on 16:28 - Feb 5 with 2122 viewsDarran

Are we doing so bad that ML needed a sack (last year compared to this year) on 16:26 - Feb 5 by Plasticman

I find this hard to believe given the praise Jenkins were lavishing when they presented the extended contract.

If those things had really been the issue, they would have been present before the club extended Laudrups contract.

It feels like revisionism to me, and I firmly believe the cause is something that happened at some point after they had extended his contract. When exactly is hard to tell, though, but I figure it must have been the cause for, and therefore prior to, some of the many subtle digs the board began to air in the public that fed to the unsettling of their own club.

The bloke has a strange persona regardless of what anyone says.
He's gone,great first season,couldn't give a f*ck anymore.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Are we doing so bad that ML needed a sack (last year compared to this year) on 16:38 - Feb 5 with 2098 viewsPrivate_Partz

Are you not worried by the present situation Darren? Are you confident GM and AC can deliver the goods? Strange persona or not, the sacking is badly timed and a makeshift management setup until the end of the season is hardly ideal. Losing our Premiership status over this would be a disaster.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Are we doing so bad that ML needed a sack (last year compared to this year) on 16:40 - Feb 5 with 2082 viewsDarran

Are we doing so bad that ML needed a sack (last year compared to this year) on 16:38 - Feb 5 by Private_Partz

Are you not worried by the present situation Darren? Are you confident GM and AC can deliver the goods? Strange persona or not, the sacking is badly timed and a makeshift management setup until the end of the season is hardly ideal. Losing our Premiership status over this would be a disaster.

Not worried about anything me,he's gone end of story.
Time for all the whimpering to stop now.

Login to get fewer ads

Are we doing so bad that ML needed a sack (last year compared to this year) on 16:45 - Feb 5 with 2068 viewsPrivate_Partz

Wishful thinking lol. I am in baffled mode not whimpering.
It could be pitch fork carrying mode at the end of the season if we go down!

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Are we doing so bad that ML needed a sack (last year compared to this year) on 16:51 - Feb 5 with 2049 viewsharemscarem

Mads Laudrup: "First major trophy, PRL 9th, Michu, Chico, Davies, Pablo, De Guzman, shelwey,past european group stage, through MU away in FA, 19 month.WTF!"

The results were not that bad no. Anyway I hope Swansea will risa again. The last games have not been good.

Are we doing so bad that ML needed a sack (last year compared to this year) on 16:53 - Feb 5 with 2032 viewsDarran

Are we doing so bad that ML needed a sack (last year compared to this year) on 16:51 - Feb 5 by haremscarem

Mads Laudrup: "First major trophy, PRL 9th, Michu, Chico, Davies, Pablo, De Guzman, shelwey,past european group stage, through MU away in FA, 19 month.WTF!"

The results were not that bad no. Anyway I hope Swansea will risa again. The last games have not been good.

F*ck him too.

Are we doing so bad that ML needed a sack (last year compared to this year) on 16:57 - Feb 5 with 2011 viewsharemscarem

Good point! Anyway according to the danish Ekstra Bladet Michael Laudrup almost begged to keep his job. That must be some kind of dedication. Anyway he is not the only trainer, when the players are training. There should be enough of good trainers to motivate them. Laudrup has always been a calm person, but that is not the same as no commitment. Actually his stubbornness when it comes to transfers is in reality a sign of commitment.

Are we doing so bad that ML needed a sack (last year compared to this year) on 16:59 - Feb 5 with 2000 viewsharemscarem

Are we doing so bad that ML needed a sack (last year compared to this year) on 16:53 - Feb 5 by Darran

F*ck him too.

Very mature. He is right, isn't he? Maybe that is hard to realize.

If Michael Laudrup had lost the next 3 games, I could have understand the sacking of him. This I don't get. Opinions differ.

Are we doing so bad that ML needed a sack (last year compared to this year) on 17:00 - Feb 5 with 1994 viewsPrivate_Partz

Agree hare. Mads has a point.

Are we doing so bad that ML needed a sack (last year compared to this year) on 17:02 - Feb 5 with 1983 viewsDarran

Are we doing so bad that ML needed a sack (last year compared to this year) on 16:59 - Feb 5 by haremscarem

Very mature. He is right, isn't he? Maybe that is hard to realize.

If Michael Laudrup had lost the next 3 games, I could have understand the sacking of him. This I don't get. Opinions differ.

Last season has no bearing on this season,go cry to someone else.

Are we doing so bad that ML needed a sack (last year compared to this year) on 17:03 - Feb 5 with 1978 viewsymaohyd

To the OP.

How do I succinctly reply to your post, here goes..Bollox!

24 points on the board in spite of rather than because of Laudrup, as I believe it could have been worse. Can't see us being any worse under Monks and hopefully the squad will be a happier unit and will play with a higher tempo.

Not saying Monk will be a success, Laudrup had to go. Ignore the quotes from the club that it was made with a heavy heart etc. They'd had a tit full!

Blog: World Cup Performance = Transfer Speculation?

Are we doing so bad that ML needed a sack (last year compared to this year) on 17:30 - Feb 5 with 1938 viewsAngelRangelQS

We've got 14 games left. One is home to Chelsea, two are away to Arsenal and Liverpool. Realistically, we need to get the 16 points needed for survival from 11 games.

If we'd kept Laudrup and lost Saturday, sacking before Stoke may have been worse timing. Lose that too and we'd have been down to 9 games.

The time to sack Laudrup was the minute the board lost faith in his ability to manage. Delaying it longer than that would be nonsensical
Are we doing so bad that ML needed a sack (last year compared to this year) on 17:55 - Feb 5 with 1881 viewsPlasticman

Are we doing so bad that ML needed a sack (last year compared to this year) on 16:53 - Feb 5 by Darran

F*ck him too.

I don't think you're his type ;)

Plastic since 2012

Are we doing so bad that ML needed a sack (last year compared to this year) on 18:02 - Feb 5 with 1860 viewsPinky

OP, are you Michael Bech from Politiken.dk?
Are we doing so bad that ML needed a sack (last year compared to this year) on 18:28 - Feb 5 with 1806 viewsNatterjack

Are we doing so bad that ML needed a sack (last year compared to this year) on 17:30 - Feb 5 by AngelRangelQS

We've got 14 games left. One is home to Chelsea, two are away to Arsenal and Liverpool. Realistically, we need to get the 16 points needed for survival from 11 games.

If we'd kept Laudrup and lost Saturday, sacking before Stoke may have been worse timing. Lose that too and we'd have been down to 9 games.

The time to sack Laudrup was the minute the board lost faith in his ability to manage. Delaying it longer than that would be nonsensical

This is totally true. The only thing I would like to add is that perhaps this sacking was 2 weeks too late.

For him to go waltzing off on a wine tasting jolly to France and give himself and the players 2 days off after that pitiful display Saturday was really too much for HJ to bear.

In my opinion, the relationship between Laudrup and the players looked shot a long time ago and we're well rid. The results compared to last year May or may not be comparable - but the performance levels are nowhere near what they were the 1st half of last season.
Are we doing so bad that ML needed a sack (last year compared to this year) on 18:29 - Feb 5 with 1801 viewsRobRecordeFan

Are we doing so bad that ML needed a sack (last year compared to this year) on 16:57 - Feb 5 by haremscarem

Good point! Anyway according to the danish Ekstra Bladet Michael Laudrup almost begged to keep his job. That must be some kind of dedication. Anyway he is not the only trainer, when the players are training. There should be enough of good trainers to motivate them. Laudrup has always been a calm person, but that is not the same as no commitment. Actually his stubbornness when it comes to transfers is in reality a sign of commitment.

Please provide a link for the quote on begging. What has been on Danish media is the claim that ML accepted having to have Monk become #2 but later in the day Jenkins didn't feel certain and gave him the sack.
Are we doing so bad that ML needed a sack (last year compared to this year) on 21:53 - Feb 5 with 1717 viewsChefbech

Are we doing so bad that ML needed a sack (last year compared to this year) on 18:02 - Feb 5 by Pinky

OP, are you Michael Bech from Politiken.dk?

No. Though Danish I am not working at a newspaper.
;-)
Are we doing so bad that ML needed a sack (last year compared to this year) on 22:05 - Feb 5 with 1673 viewsLiberty

Are we doing so bad that ML needed a sack (last year compared to this year) on 18:28 - Feb 5 by Natterjack

This is totally true. The only thing I would like to add is that perhaps this sacking was 2 weeks too late.

For him to go waltzing off on a wine tasting jolly to France and give himself and the players 2 days off after that pitiful display Saturday was really too much for HJ to bear.

In my opinion, the relationship between Laudrup and the players looked shot a long time ago and we're well rid. The results compared to last year May or may not be comparable - but the performance levels are nowhere near what they were the 1st half of last season.

Dont agree with 2 week too late, if done in january transfer window, we would probably lost better players than we would have gained.

Poll: League 2 Mod , Darr, but we are now in Prem - time for a change ?

Are we doing so bad that ML needed a sack (last year compared to this year) on 22:08 - Feb 5 with 1665 viewsTheFranchise

Bloody hell these Danes are worse than the Koreans.

He's gone, we sacked him, he wasn't upto the job. He wasn't prepared to get stuck in at a time when it was needed and our club decided he couldn't be trusted to keep us up.

It's not personal, he's still Denmark's greatest export. His time had just run out.
Are we doing so bad that ML needed a sack (last year compared to this year) on 22:14 - Feb 5 with 1654 viewsDarran

Are we doing so bad that ML needed a sack (last year compared to this year) on 22:08 - Feb 5 by TheFranchise

Bloody hell these Danes are worse than the Koreans.

He's gone, we sacked him, he wasn't upto the job. He wasn't prepared to get stuck in at a time when it was needed and our club decided he couldn't be trusted to keep us up.

It's not personal, he's still Denmark's greatest export. His time had just run out.

Not before Tuborg Gold he isn't.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024