Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dublin advice - Non football 06:36 - Jan 26 with 3113 viewswombleR

I'd appreciate some transport advice on a visit to Dublin later this week.

I need to be in central Dublin (Smithfield) in the middle of the day on Wednesday and will have travelled up from Co Tipperary and will then afterwards be dropping my car at Dublin Airport.

I am reluctant to drive into the city centre so was wondering what the best option might be. I have identified a tram service called Luas and wondered just how reliable this is and how long it takes to get to the city centre from the "Red Cow" park and ride. I cannot afford to be late so need to be certain of timings.

Any help would be gratefully accepted.
Dublin advice - Non football on 08:36 - Jan 26 with 3090 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Hi Womble,

I think you're right to use the Park and Ride and the Luas if you want certainty. I've always found it very reliable.

The trip in is 30-35 minutes and allow a maximum waiting time of 15 mins (normally less, but 15 minutes is the supposed maximum). The stops around Smithfield are close together so one may be better than the other depending on the address you're heading for.

When you're approaching the M50 junction, take it slowly and you'll see the signs for the Park and Ride. They've just completed a new flyover so the lanes may have changed since I was last up.

Hope it goes well.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Dublin advice - Non football on 12:08 - Jan 26 with 3035 viewsdublinr

Brian's right. Best to take the Luas - very reliable, and parking in central Dublin is a shocker (and very expensive).

Dublin advice - Non football on 13:18 - Jan 26 with 2983 viewsderbyhoop

If you come from the airport you could take the 747 Express into Dublin city centre. I think the end of the line is Heuston station, which might be an option if you're coming from Tipp.
Also calls at Connolly Stn, O'connell Street and along Dame Street.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Dublin advice - Non football on 15:01 - Jan 26 with 2930 viewsA40Bosh

Brian/DublinR

Is Luas pronounced as Lewis or Loo arse?

We have them as a customer and all my colleagues in our office pronounce it Loo arse

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Dublin advice - Non football on 15:07 - Jan 26 with 2923 viewsbob566

Dublin advice - Non football on 15:01 - Jan 26 by A40Bosh

Brian/DublinR

We have them as a customer and all my colleagues in our office pronounce it Loo arse

lewis but have your friends continue what they are doing.
Dublin advice - Non football on 15:08 - Jan 26 with 2922 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Dublin advice - Non football on 15:01 - Jan 26 by A40Bosh

Brian/DublinR

Lewis is practically bang on, Bosh.

Oh, we love when English companies fugg up our language!

Also for fun, use phrases like 'on the mainland' or 'Ireland, as a British country...'.

Dublin advice - Non football on 17:10 - Jan 26 with 2878 viewsA40Bosh

Dublin advice - Non football on 15:08 - Jan 26 by BrianMcCarthy

Lewis is practically bang on, Bosh.

Oh, we love when English companies fugg up our language!

Also for fun, use phrases like 'on the mainland' or 'Ireland, as a British country...'.

Thanks Brian - I thought it was me going mad, as I go over often enough to Dublin socially and being a professional plastic paddy, that I hear the natives calling it the Lewis - but when the guys in the office are talking about the account I am thinking what are you on about?

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Dublin advice - Non football on 19:00 - Jan 26 with 2848 viewsLblock

Dont move him to centre back when you're two nil up away from home and David Connolly gets sent off

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Login to get fewer ads

Dublin advice - Non football on 19:06 - Jan 26 with 2848 viewsqprmeath

It doesnt really make sense to stop at the Red Cow park and ride and then go back to it with your final destination being the airport. You would nearly be as well off going straight to the airport and then going in to the city centre and back on a bus.
Dublin advice - Non football on 19:45 - Jan 26 with 2822 viewswombleR

Dublin advice - Non football on 08:36 - Jan 26 by BrianMcCarthy

Hi Womble,

I think you're right to use the Park and Ride and the Luas if you want certainty. I've always found it very reliable.

The trip in is 30-35 minutes and allow a maximum waiting time of 15 mins (normally less, but 15 minutes is the supposed maximum). The stops around Smithfield are close together so one may be better than the other depending on the address you're heading for.

When you're approaching the M50 junction, take it slowly and you'll see the signs for the Park and Ride. They've just completed a new flyover so the lanes may have changed since I was last up.

Hope it goes well.

Hi Brian

Thanks for the advice. That seals it for me. I think that'll work well.
Dublin advice - Non football on 19:49 - Jan 26 with 2819 viewswombleR

Dublin advice - Non football on 19:45 - Jan 26 by wombleR

Hi Brian

Thanks for the advice. That seals it for me. I think that'll work well.

Hi Meath

Yes I thought about going straight to the airport and then heading into town but I'm going to be tight for time at the beginning of the day and less pressured later on so the Red Cow park and ride works well on that basis.

Thanks anyway
Dublin advice - Non football on 19:57 - Jan 26 with 2813 viewsdublinr

I reckon the red cow/luas is easier. So many buses from the airport, but don't think any go to Smithfield.

Its something between 'Lew as' and 'Lew is'. The main thing is that the stress is on the first syllable.

Dublin advice - Non football on 20:30 - Jan 26 with 2783 viewsqprmeath

Yeah if the meeting is your priority and u are stuck for time the Red Cow is probably your safest bet.
Dublin advice - Non football on 22:37 - Jan 26 with 2741 viewswombleR

I should have asked about the M50 toll. Is it a chuck coins in the bin job or something more complicated?
Dublin advice - Non football on 08:05 - Jan 27 with 2696 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Dublin advice - Non football on 22:37 - Jan 26 by wombleR

I should have asked about the M50 toll. Is it a chuck coins in the bin job or something more complicated?

Expensive enough, Womble - €3.10 - if not registered. There's no stopping at the toll barrier now. You can pre-pay online, or by 8pm the following day.

https://www.eflow.ie/i-want-to/pay-a-toll/

Dublin advice - Non football on 09:14 - Jan 27 with 2677 viewswombleR

Dublin advice - Non football on 08:05 - Jan 27 by BrianMcCarthy

Expensive enough, Womble - €3.10 - if not registered. There's no stopping at the toll barrier now. You can pre-pay online, or by 8pm the following day.

https://www.eflow.ie/i-want-to/pay-a-toll/

Thanks again. With all this info things should be plain sailing.
Dublin advice - Non football on 10:45 - Jan 27 with 2657 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Dublin advice - Non football on 09:14 - Jan 27 by wombleR

Thanks again. With all this info things should be plain sailing.

No bother, Womble.

Dublin advice - Non football on 15:04 - Jan 29 with 2580 viewswombleR

Dublin advice - Non football on 10:45 - Jan 27 by BrianMcCarthy

No bother, Womble.

Everything worked a treat. Many thanks guys.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024