Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The weather 13:46 - Mar 1 with 11195 viewsmingthemerciless

I've lived in Rochdale since the mid 1950's but I can't honestly remember weather like this. I remember the big freeze of 1963 when there were no games of football for the best part of 10 weeks but that was a different kettle of fish. I live facing Cronkeyshaw Common and the wind is gusting the standing snow right across the common from the Syke area onto the top of Whitehall St. The waste pipe for my bathroom wash basin is exposed to the East wind and has frozen up. That's never happened before.
No buses and not many taxis are operating.
I need to get over to Heywood tomorrow morning. Any residents care to give me a lowdown on current weather/driving conditions in central Heywood ?
The weather on 16:05 - Mar 2 with 2532 views49thseason

Hollingworth lake frozen over in 1963. We were taken across it on a trip from Primary school. Apparently, the ice was 2 feet thick
The weather on 18:19 - Mar 2 with 2355 viewsRAFCBLUE

The weather on 14:29 - Mar 2 by TVOS1907

Apart from the Southend and Fleetwood games, it’s mainly down to the FA Cup and this week’s weather, which people would realise.

It also makes selling things like season tickets harder.

9 non-Saturday league games mean the financial advantages of purchase disappear given the logistics of getting to Spotland from outside the town midweek.

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/
Poll: EGM - which way are you voting?

The weather on 11:18 - Mar 3 with 2168 viewsEllDale

The first three months of 1963 were certainly bad.
I remember that we kids made a sledge run down the banking at the old St Josephs school playing fields off Kingsway.
After a few weeks it was sheer ice, the same sort of surface as the Cresta run.
I'm sure that either Hornets or Dale went to Blackpool to train on the beach as the grounds were frozen solid for weeks.
I remember January/February 1979 as well. That was the first time that motorway had ever closed. I was working in Newgate House at the time and had to walk home. The buses had stopped running and Manchester Road, St Mary's Gate and Halifax were all gridlocked as all the vehicles were diverted that way from the motorway.
I seem to remember February 1984 being wild as well. I used to drink in MIlnrow a fair bit in those days and a few stranded lorry drivers were put up for the night in the Slip Inn on Rochdale Road.
The weather on 12:13 - Mar 3 with 2111 viewselectricblue

Some ineteresting stats on FF...
The coventry v Lincoln game in 1963 took 15 attemps before it was actually played....

A round of the FA Cup also took 63 days to complete aswell.....

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

The weather on 12:58 - Mar 3 with 2051 viewsdalenumber2

The weather on 16:05 - Mar 2 by 49thseason

Hollingworth lake frozen over in 1963. We were taken across it on a trip from Primary school. Apparently, the ice was 2 feet thick

Can you imagine that happening these days (talking about taking a group of Primary School kids walking over a frozen lake) and doing the risk assessment!
The weather on 13:01 - Mar 3 with 2046 viewsdalenumber2

The weather on 16:41 - Mar 1 by ChaffRAFC

I made the mistake of walking from Rochdale back to Shaw last night and fell in a 4ft snow drift over Rochdale Road just short of the Fairview. Couldn't move and genuinely thought the end was nigh. Barely managed to "swim" through and just about made it home.

Not one if my brightest decisions. Worst weather I've ever known.

I encountered snow drifts on that part of Broad Land last Wednesday on my way home form work - it obviously got much worse. But can you tell me what that road is like today as I have to go that way on Monday? Is it passable?
The weather on 13:09 - Mar 3 with 2036 viewsChaffRAFC

The weather on 13:01 - Mar 3 by dalenumber2

I encountered snow drifts on that part of Broad Land last Wednesday on my way home form work - it obviously got much worse. But can you tell me what that road is like today as I have to go that way on Monday? Is it passable?

I'm not sure. It was still really bad yesterday but I did hear somewhere that they were opening it up but only single file traffic.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

The weather on 14:43 - Mar 3 with 1943 viewsBartRowou

The weather on 13:01 - Mar 3 by dalenumber2

I walked up Broad Lane this morning and here are my observations:

1. From the Spring Inn up to just past the Fairview, both sides of the road were open although the paths were still treacherous.

2. After the Fairview, roughly at the Rochdale/Oldham border, the road is passable but only enough for one vehicle at a time so there's a bit of giving way going on. This continues until you get to the bungalows/allotments heading into High Crompton.

3. The footpaths at this point are non-existent as all the snow has been piled up on them to a height of about 10 feet in places.

Poll: Should Bury shop elsewhere for frames?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024