Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
One big marketing own-goal 17:37 - Dec 21 with 22350 viewstony_roch975

BBC Football website this evening reads "Hill concerned at fan discontent". Whatever your opinion, between the (minority) boos on Saturday, the interminable thread on the KH post match comments and those comments themselves, we've managed a cracking marketing own-goal. Bit pointless complaining about the club's weakness in the PR & Marketing areas as happens ad infinitum on this forum and then in a stroke creating an impression of a disunited, unwelcoming club which players & fans (existing and future) are far less likely to want to be part of. Time for all concerned to learn a bit of perspective - or time to bang a few heads together!!

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

One big marketing own-goal on 17:47 - Dec 21 with 9349 viewsSuddenLad

A Sunday match report I read, didn't mention the football, just the disaffected supporters.

If people keep making mountains out of molehills, the nonsense will continue. These numpties who pose the post-match questions to the manager know wxactly what they are doing. He takes the bait and the Press create a furore over nothing.

Job done and they have a story from nothing.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

One big marketing own-goal on 17:50 - Dec 21 with 9338 views442Dale

One big marketing own-goal on 17:47 - Dec 21 by SuddenLad

A Sunday match report I read, didn't mention the football, just the disaffected supporters.

If people keep making mountains out of molehills, the nonsense will continue. These numpties who pose the post-match questions to the manager know wxactly what they are doing. He takes the bait and the Press create a furore over nothing.

Again, one person has the opportunity to prevent all of this.

And if he can't, then others could be having a word to try and eradicate the problem.

Edit: and how is it a GMR interview can include a reporter asking Hill questions about this, yet I can't recall Wagg & co ever asking Flitcroft or Day how they've assembled such a squad or about the rumours that surface amongst Bury's supporters?
[Post edited 21 Dec 2015 17:56]

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

One big marketing own-goal on 17:55 - Dec 21 with 9314 views1mark1

The press and media are getting this "story" from one source, the mouth of KH.

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

One big marketing own-goal on 17:57 - Dec 21 with 9302 viewsD_Alien

One big marketing own-goal on 17:47 - Dec 21 by SuddenLad

We all know what journalists are up to.

The only fools are those who give them what they want. In my opinion what Hill said post-match wasn't just in response to the questions posed but had a degree of premeditation to it. I'm glad it's on the national website though; his outpourings need to be seen and read by chairmen of football clubs up and down the land.

Our own chairman would be negligent in his duties if he doesn't put a stop to this right now. Chris Dunphy comes from the terraces, he's a fan first and foremost, and he'll have groaned and shouted whilst watching Dale in his younger days. He should be seeking to educate his employee on "The Philosophy of the Football Fan".

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

One big marketing own-goal on 18:03 - Dec 21 with 9273 views442Dale

One big marketing own-goal on 17:57 - Dec 21 by D_Alien

The only fools are those who give them what they want. In my opinion what Hill said post-match wasn't just in response to the questions posed but had a degree of premeditation to it. I'm glad it's on the national website though; his outpourings need to be seen and read by chairmen of football clubs up and down the land.

Our own chairman would be negligent in his duties if he doesn't put a stop to this right now. Chris Dunphy comes from the terraces, he's a fan first and foremost, and he'll have groaned and shouted whilst watching Dale in his younger days. He should be seeking to educate his employee on "The Philosophy of the Football Fan".

That sodding word wants eliminating from the English language.

One big marketing own-goal on 18:03 - Dec 21 with 9267 viewsD_Alien

One big marketing own-goal on 18:03 - Dec 21 by 442Dale

That sodding word wants eliminating from the English language.

Or the FA coaching manuals, at least.

http://www.thefa.com/st-georges-park/discover/coaching/the-future-game/coaching-

[Post edited 21 Dec 2015 18:05]

One big marketing own-goal on 18:08 - Dec 21 with 9240 views442Dale

One big marketing own-goal on 18:03 - Dec 21 by D_Alien

Or the FA coaching manuals, at least.

http://www.thefa.com/st-georges-park/discover/coaching/the-future-game/coaching-

[Post edited 21 Dec 2015 18:05]

"The Future Game"?

Awesome.

One big marketing own-goal on 18:13 - Dec 21 with 9215 viewsD_Alien

One big marketing own-goal on 18:08 - Dec 21 by 442Dale

"The Future Game"?

Awesome.

And these are the pseuds who're seeking to "educate" us. It's beyond laughable.

The real disconnect is between those involved in football and the rest of the population. Talk about living in their precious little highly-paid bubble, they don't even realise how full of shit they are.

I'll bet the coaching manuals (if they need them) in Spain, Portugal and Germany don't bang on about Philosophy.

France, maybe

[Post edited 21 Dec 2015 18:15]

Login to get fewer ads

One big marketing own-goal on 19:13 - Dec 21 with 9059 viewsrobbowood

If there is more than 1% of Dale supporters 'discontented' at us having 30 points from 22 games I will be amazed. Hilly (our greatest manager ever) seems to have convinced himself the number of fans who are "unhappy" is over 90% the way he is talking

If, contrary to what I think, Hilly is right it is surely because it is the style of football the team has been playing over the last few weeks which has caused this and made the fans 'unhappy'

Compared to the early part of the season we have NOT played the ball on the ground through midfield as much as we have done since Hilly came back. Allen and Lund injured hasn't helped and bringing back BBM told me we have been missing someone who can put his foot on the ball and pass it around

In a few games we have mainly resorted to hoofing the ball in the air and hoping for the best - which the majority of Dale fans don't want to see any more. If we keep the ball on the floor in midfield we can beat most teams in this division

Hilly is always going to come out with "comments" which a lot of us don't agree with (or understand) and we can ignore them most of the time

But on this occasion I hope Hilly will reflect on what he has said and that it is completely untrue - and realise that 99.9% of the fans are right behind him

If he doesn't read this forum I would like to hope that that someone at the club will tell him the true situation about the 'fan discontent'!!
One big marketing own-goal on 19:17 - Dec 21 with 9045 viewstony_roch975

One big marketing own-goal on 17:57 - Dec 21 by D_Alien

That's what we don't need - just to satisfy discontent with KH, being happy to see our club belittled in the national media so we no longer attract those few players willing to play for low wages and get even fewer fans - so less money & lower wages. That's the vicious circle which needs breaking so that the rest of us can continue enjoying the best football and League position seen at Spotland in decades - however weak the manager's PR skills there's clearly little wrong with his ability to get the best from whatever squad we can afford year after year. Fine - encourage improvements in the PR but when you're in a hole......

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

One big marketing own-goal on 19:27 - Dec 21 with 9004 viewsD_Alien

One big marketing own-goal on 19:17 - Dec 21 by tony_roch975

That's what we don't need - just to satisfy discontent with KH, being happy to see our club belittled in the national media so we no longer attract those few players willing to play for low wages and get even fewer fans - so less money & lower wages. That's the vicious circle which needs breaking so that the rest of us can continue enjoying the best football and League position seen at Spotland in decades - however weak the manager's PR skills there's clearly little wrong with his ability to get the best from whatever squad we can afford year after year. Fine - encourage improvements in the PR but when you're in a hole......

It's in the hands of his employers, Rochdale FC.

One big marketing own-goal on 20:30 - Dec 21 with 8875 viewszxcvbnm

We'll never know if what should happen will

But either Colin garlick or Chris dunphy needs to tell kh to pull his head in. The last two matches have been completely overshadowed by hills post match comments. They need to tell him to think before he speaks.

Poll: Best loanee keeper

One big marketing own-goal on 21:02 - Dec 21 with 8789 viewsTVOS1907

One big marketing own-goal on 20:30 - Dec 21 by zxcvbnm

We'll never know if what should happen will

But either Colin garlick or Chris dunphy needs to tell kh to pull his head in. The last two matches have been completely overshadowed by hills post match comments. They need to tell him to think before he speaks.

Absolutely and it appears as though he's dictating what type of questions he can and can't be asked.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

One big marketing own-goal on 21:37 - Dec 21 with 8708 viewsD_Dale

Without getting into psycho-babble, Hill seems to be projecting on to the fans his own sense of disappointment with himself over the teams he has fielded.

There hasn't been the 'no fear' football of the first half of last season which produced away wins of 5-2, 4-0 and 4-1 (at Crewe, Crawley and Colchester) and home wins of 4-0 and 3-0 (against Walsall and Preston).

Younger player who emerged in the promotion season and improved further last season - Camps, Tanser, Allen, Rafferty - haven't continued to develop at the same rate. Other clubs haven't been keen to sign our players similar to the interest in Scott Hogan and Matt Done.

There's been a lack of the magic touch needed to make Lewis Alessandra into a goal-scoring forward.

There haven't been inspired loan signing like Jack O'Connell and Conrad Logan; instead, John O'Sullivan.

Of course, Hill can't work miracles (and no season has been without the likes of Graham Cummins, Jack Muldoon, George Donnelly ...). Also, L1 has very many clubs better resourced than Dale. The fact that we stand mid-table should be a matter of praise rather than criticism. But there has been a sense that the manager has had to adopt a grind-out-the -results approach, one that makes the main objective to avoid defeat (we've already drawn as many league matches - six - as in the whole of the last season).

Perhaps in the second half of this season it will be possible to recapture the flair that was present for much of the first half of the last.

Anyhow, don't beat up the fans, Keith, or yourself.
One big marketing own-goal on 21:44 - Dec 21 with 8690 viewsalderleydale

One big marketing own-goal on 21:02 - Dec 21 by TVOS1907

Absolutely and it appears as though he's dictating what type of questions he can and can't be asked.

I did notice on Saturday on Dale Player that he completely ignored the guys first long winded question and went straight into his now infamous Saturday night rant.

Well he can stick it up his arse

After a long phone call tonight, my Pal and myself wont be going on Saturday
we`re both in our 60s both take our Grandsons with us so that's 4 paying customers that wont be attending.

We are too old and too long in the tooth to be talked down too in the way that Hill does

F*CK HIM if he wants to know what a disconnect is tell him to read this

You can not talk to paying customers in this condescending way
[Post edited 21 Dec 2015 21:59]
One big marketing own-goal on 21:55 - Dec 21 with 8661 viewsSuddenLad

One big marketing own-goal on 21:44 - Dec 21 by alderleydale

I did notice on Saturday on Dale Player that he completely ignored the guys first long winded question and went straight into his now infamous Saturday night rant.

we`re both in our 60s both take our Grandsons with us so that's 4 paying customers that wont be attending.

We are too old and too long in the tooth to be talked down too in the way that Hill does

But he hasn't spoken to you in person, so why take umbrage as though he had made the comments personal ? If you choose not to go support your team, because of a few ill-chosen words from the manager, the club loses £50.

Has this turned into a campaign to punish the team ?

If anyone has a real and genuine grievance, why not try writing to the club, or manager, to explain how you feel instead of turning it into a Jeremy Kyle saga. ?

One big marketing own-goal on 21:56 - Dec 21 with 8660 viewszxcvbnm

Email that message to Colin garlick

One big marketing own-goal on 21:58 - Dec 21 with 8657 viewsD_Alien

One big marketing own-goal on 21:44 - Dec 21 by alderleydale

That's sad, but entirely understandable. On another thread, an attempt was being made to use the Boxing Day game as a fixture to wipe the slate clean. Maybe something will happen between now and then for you and your mate plus grandsons to reconsider? I hope so, but don't blame you at all for taking that decision.

This is really starting to hurt the club now, and if one of his employees in the church heating business was slagging off his customers to their faces, we know CD wouldn't just stand aside and do nothing.

One big marketing own-goal on 22:10 - Dec 21 with 8624 viewsnordenblue

One big marketing own-goal on 21:58 - Dec 21 by D_Alien

That's sad, but entirely understandable. On another thread, an attempt was being made to use the Boxing Day game as a fixture to wipe the slate clean. Maybe something will happen between now and then for you and your mate plus grandsons to reconsider? I hope so, but don't blame you at all for taking that decision.

This is really starting to hurt the club now, and if one of his employees in the church heating business was slagging off his customers to their faces, we know CD wouldn't just stand aside and do nothing.

Some very good posts recently DA,its always been prominent in KH that he believes he can say and slag off exactly who and what he likes yet if anyone dares to have a difference of opinion and voice it he jumps all over it.
One big marketing own-goal on 22:15 - Dec 21 with 8608 viewsTVOS1907

One big marketing own-goal on 21:56 - Dec 21 by zxcvbnm

Email that message to Colin garlick

Which message?

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

One big marketing own-goal on 22:30 - Dec 21 with 8561 viewsSuddenLad

One big marketing own-goal on 21:58 - Dec 21 by D_Alien

Which comments have been made 'face to face' that warrant the withdrawal of support ?

I thought the 'unwise comments' were made into a microphone in response to a comment/question being made by a journo ?

Anyway, maybe some won't be happy until we start advertising for a manager. Problem solved. He will probably need the silky skills of a polished, fully trained PR man, who can easily appease the remaining supporters when we slide rapidly back to the accustomed 'Rochdale Division'. These precious, fragile supporters will be able to rest easy then.

We can all be happy when we're back on more familiar territory, travelling to Hartlepool in a minibus.

One big marketing own-goal on 22:35 - Dec 21 with 8550 viewszxcvbnm

One big marketing own-goal on 22:15 - Dec 21 by TVOS1907

Which message?

Sorry meant to quote alderleydale.

That message needs to be sent to someone like Colin garlick. Dale can't afford to lose fans.

One big marketing own-goal on 22:55 - Dec 21 with 8497 views442Dale

One big marketing own-goal on 22:30 - Dec 21 by SuddenLad

Which comments have been made 'face to face' that warrant the withdrawal of support ?

I thought the 'unwise comments' were made into a microphone in response to a comment/question being made by a journo ?

Anyway, maybe some won't be happy until we start advertising for a manager. Problem solved. He will probably need the silky skills of a polished, fully trained PR man, who can easily appease the remaining supporters when we slide rapidly back to the accustomed 'Rochdale Division'. These precious, fragile supporters will be able to rest easy then.

We can all be happy when we're back on more familiar territory, travelling to Hartlepool in a minibus.

Who, apart from those who have been shouted down, has ever mentioned being happy when we start looking for a new manager?

No PR training required, simply stop going on about the fans. Asked about fans? "we're really grateful for the ones we have and ask that they keep getting behind what we're trying to achieve". It's really that simple.

What Hill said doesn't bother me one bit personally, it was just pointless and that needs saying. Nothing precious about that.

One big marketing own-goal on 22:59 - Dec 21 with 8480 viewsalderleydale

Precious fragile are you for real

We`ve been going since the 50s we`ve travelled the length and breadth of Britain hundreds of times over supporting The Dale.

I have lived in Cheshire for the last 14 years and do just short of a 100 mile round trip just for a HOME GAME
Cheshire to Haslingden to pick up Grandson over the tops to Rochdale and the same journey home.

You could call me a lot of things but precious and fragile I`m not
One big marketing own-goal on 23:07 - Dec 21 with 8450 viewsD_Alien

You're picking up on my use of a figure of speech, which is fine, but it's hardly the issue is it? In fact, using the media to slag off fans is far worse, because it's not to individual faces but to all of us. And it's pretty clear there was premeditation in his comments; the questions, if anything, come about because journos know he has history in trying to control the perfectly natural reaction of fans to the ebb and flo of the game. And that's the bottom line.

It's clear that any such defence of his indefensible comments comes about through fans thinking he'll be upping sticks because of it. If he's going to do that, he'll not be doing it because of fans watching a game, but fans who stop watching - and there's already a batch not coming on Saturday through his stupidity. But if he thinks he'd get away with it under any other chairman and at any other club he's more than deluded, and this becoming the headline on the League One page of the BBC football website is a huge shooting of himself in the foot, let alone reputational damage to the club.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024