Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
RIP.......The Greatest!! 06:23 - Jun 4 with 6223 viewsTalkingSutty

The most famous man on the planet has passed away. What a terrible start to the day, the only person I ever hero worshipped. The death of an icon, Ali was as famous as Elvis Presley, both true legends.

Memories of my childhood, sneaking my transistor radio into bed and listening to his fights live from Madison Square Gardens etc at some ungodly hour, usually about 4 AM in the morning.

I had dinner with Ali's trainer Angelo Dundee and Marvin Hagler* twenty years ago in an Italian Restaurant at Hollingworth Lake and have a personalised signed Photograph of Ali, not a bad claim to fame. Angelo just referred to him as 'Champ' all the time. He was very ill, even twenty odd years ago.

* Marvin Hagler lived in Milan at the time and had started a Acting career. He was in the middle of making a Spaghetti Western which he was quite excited about, i don't know if he ever completed it.
[Post edited 4 Jun 2016 6:53]
RIP.......The Greatest!! on 19:41 - Jun 5 with 1094 viewsmingthemerciless

RIP.......The Greatest!! on 18:53 - Jun 5 by 49thseason

Or... in the immortal words of FS (Fred) Trueman when similarly criticised "it takes a big hammer to knock in a big nail"

If The ' Dale have had a player who could hit the ball harder than Reg I never saw him. I remember him scoring a free kick against Bolton in the League Cup the season we got promoted. He was out on the touchline about 40 yards from goal . He just ran up a few paces and hammered the ball straight like an arrow into the far top corner. No bending, just straight and true. Eddie Hopkinson in Bolton's goal just stood and watched it fly past him.

Anybody else there that night ?
RIP.......The Greatest!! on 20:01 - Jun 5 with 1085 viewsTalkingSutty

RIP.......The Greatest!! on 19:41 - Jun 5 by mingthemerciless

If The ' Dale have had a player who could hit the ball harder than Reg I never saw him. I remember him scoring a free kick against Bolton in the League Cup the season we got promoted. He was out on the touchline about 40 yards from goal . He just ran up a few paces and hammered the ball straight like an arrow into the far top corner. No bending, just straight and true. Eddie Hopkinson in Bolton's goal just stood and watched it fly past him.

Anybody else there that night ?

Never had the pleasure of watching Reg but he sounds as though he deserves his legendary status. I tell you who could hit a ball... Lyndon Symmonds. I don't think I recall anybody who could hit it much harder than him, maybe O'Shaugnessy?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024