Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
VAR. Hit or Miss? 21:03 - Jan 27 with 2064 viewsBigKindo

Watching Liverpool v the Baggies. Three major reviews which added several minutes to the first half. Is this the way forward or should our beloved game become similar to the NFL? If this is the way forward should the FA/EFL be responsible for those below salt providing VAR at all matches? My immediate thought is that it is possibly reducing the authority of the match officials. After match pints might in future be 5-30pm instead of 5-15pm.
VAR. Hit or Miss? on 21:08 - Jan 27 with 2049 viewsD_Alien

Provisionally in favour, but needs refining

As in other sports, those at the game (and watching on tv) need to be given insight into the process; plus once the VAR decision is made, any player approaching the ref to complain should be booked

It's odd in the Liverpool game how the scoreline is right almost despite the decisions

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

VAR. Hit or Miss? on 21:11 - Jan 27 with 2030 viewsBigKindo

VAR. Hit or Miss? on 21:08 - Jan 27 by D_Alien

Provisionally in favour, but needs refining

As in other sports, those at the game (and watching on tv) need to be given insight into the process; plus once the VAR decision is made, any player approaching the ref to complain should be booked

It's odd in the Liverpool game how the scoreline is right almost despite the decisions

Perhaps in spite of the decisions?
VAR. Hit or Miss? on 21:12 - Jan 27 with 2023 viewsD_Alien

VAR. Hit or Miss? on 21:11 - Jan 27 by BigKindo

Perhaps in spite of the decisions?

Aye, one or t' other!

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

VAR. Hit or Miss? on 21:33 - Jan 27 with 1970 viewsmacro

Needs refining. Chelsea v Norwich showed it’s flaws though
VAR. Hit or Miss? on 21:57 - Jan 27 with 1902 viewsKenBoon

To be fair American Football isn't slow because of the use of video replays. Many of the complaints at VAR come from folk at the ground saying they don't know what's going on, so if video officiating is fully coming in then Football really needs to copy more of that the NFL does in that area.

Ultimately VAR can never win. Tonight it's corrected a couple of big mistakes by officials but is still getting abuse from some quarters. If it gets stick on a good night, imagine how bad it'll be when it messes up - and if Germany and the Confederations Cup are anything to go by then it will. I cannot wait for them to use it in the Premier League. It's going to be hilarious.
VAR. Hit or Miss? on 23:24 - Jan 27 with 1799 viewsisitme

In rugby union the TMO is an excellent addition. As it has been used for a few years the refs use it much better now. They play on and then call back and will ask the TMO to check incidents whilst the match is in play. Their philosophy is to play on, as they can always call things back.

Supporters also see TMO decisions on the big screen and using ref mike they can hear the dialogue between the ref and TMO and understand (well hopefully) the decision that is being made.

I think in theory VAR is good idea and more crucial decisions will be made correctly but the officials have to work out how to use it first.
VAR. Hit or Miss? on 23:43 - Jan 27 with 1769 viewsYorkshire_Dale

VAR. Hit or Miss? on 23:24 - Jan 27 by isitme

In rugby union the TMO is an excellent addition. As it has been used for a few years the refs use it much better now. They play on and then call back and will ask the TMO to check incidents whilst the match is in play. Their philosophy is to play on, as they can always call things back.

Supporters also see TMO decisions on the big screen and using ref mike they can hear the dialogue between the ref and TMO and understand (well hopefully) the decision that is being made.

I think in theory VAR is good idea and more crucial decisions will be made correctly but the officials have to work out how to use it first.

So, will we finally see a Big Screen at San Spotty......hope it's not that mobile jobby they trialled in the Sandy last year?
VAR. Hit or Miss? on 23:45 - Jan 27 with 1763 viewsTVOS1907

VAR. Hit or Miss? on 23:43 - Jan 27 by Yorkshire_Dale

So, will we finally see a Big Screen at San Spotty......hope it's not that mobile jobby they trialled in the Sandy last year?

No, because there won't be the requisite number of cameras at our level.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Login to get fewer ads

VAR. Hit or Miss? on 10:27 - Jan 28 with 1614 viewsTipperaryDale

It doesn't work in rugby union. Completely sucks the joy out of scoring a try - you can only half celebrate as nearly always it's reviewed to see if there was a forward pass about 3 phases before.

It'll be even worse for football. So many decisions are subjective and can be called either way. If people had respect for referees and respect for their integrity we would have no problem. All this does is undermine refs at the behest of a few managers and pundits who behave badly when a decision doesn't go their way.

I hate modern football.
VAR. Hit or Miss? on 11:39 - Jan 28 with 1556 viewsE_Bearshaw

Was at Anfield last night, and whilst the atmosphere wasn’t great anyway, it certainly wasn’t helped by the time taken for these VAR decisions. How on Earth there was only 4 added minutes in that first half is beyond me (though I should be thankful, as WBA would’ve probably got a 4th if that half went on any longer).
VAR. Hit or Miss? on 12:01 - Jan 28 with 1527 viewsCamdenDale

VAR means more stoppages, more punditry, more 'TV' if you like. Sky and BT Sport of course love it. It's rotten.
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024