Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stronger, leaner, more efficient 10:46 - May 5 with 2576 viewsD_Alien

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52543735

It appears that at last, there's some much-needed realism being projected for the future of EFL clubs. This can only be a good thing, imo. The search by our board for external financing was looming up to become a massive bone of contention; fraught with risk, perhaps distancing the fans from the club and almost certainly being divisive

If we can emerge from the crisis with more sustainable levels of players salaries and transfer fees in the longer term, with fewer hangers-on and chancers waiting in the wings, it'd arguably be a price worth paying to miss out on football for a few months

Edit: the "stronger, leaner, more efficient" header was a direct quote from Rick Parry to the Select Committee; it's since been edited out of the evolving article as more information is added
[Post edited 5 May 2020 12:47]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Stronger, leaner, more efficient on 13:50 - May 5 with 2410 viewstony_roch975

and another interesting article on the same topic by Mark Palios (Tranmere boss)
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/may/05/player-wages-and-contracts-will

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

Stronger, leaner, more efficient on 14:57 - May 5 with 2322 viewsPlattyswrinklynuts

We’re probably going to be without any football for the foreseeable future in any event D_A, the majority of chairmen & administrators are merely talking round the issues rather than grasping the bull by the balls (so to speak)! IMO the only way forward is to cancel the EFL season now, especially as Parry said, lost TV revenue is a much smaller percentage of total income for EFL than for Prem clubs.
Sod integrity, this is about survival. Clubs have 2 options, bite the bullet & bang heads together re promotion/relegation issues or risk large scale financial Armageddon. Some suggestions put forward have been frankly bonkers such as 1 idea to have players playing & training in masks!! From interviews given by players (Glenn Murray for one), players are at best reluctant to even return to normal training regimes given current uncertainties.
Add to this contracts coming to an end & no income for clubs right now I don’t see any other option.
Stronger, leaner, more efficient on 15:29 - May 5 with 2281 viewsD_Alien

Stronger, leaner, more efficient on 13:50 - May 5 by tony_roch975

and another interesting article on the same topic by Mark Palios (Tranmere boss)
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/may/05/player-wages-and-contracts-will

Yes, an excellent article

I'm also reluctantly coming to the view that survival is all that matters, in whatever form, over and above completing this season or starting the next on time. I still believe Dale will be in as good a position as any to do so, thanks to the staged transfer fees and cup revenue we've generated recently; also that ultimately (perversely even!) the game of football we all love will be better for it

Stronger, leaner, more efficient on 07:08 - May 6 with 1965 viewsTalkingSutty

Stronger, leaner, more efficient on 15:29 - May 5 by D_Alien

Yes, an excellent article

I'm also reluctantly coming to the view that survival is all that matters, in whatever form, over and above completing this season or starting the next on time. I still believe Dale will be in as good a position as any to do so, thanks to the staged transfer fees and cup revenue we've generated recently; also that ultimately (perversely even!) the game of football we all love will be better for it

Agree with your post, I also think out of a terrible situation for football could come a lot of good. The game was imploding anyway, especially at EFL level and the reset button needed pressing. The Clubs carrying the least amount of debt will be the ones who emerge stronger and when you think about it there is a sweet irony to that. Football Clubs have been held over a barrel by greedy footballers and their agents, loyalty only relates to the fans and is rarely found in footballers anymore.

Next month out of contract players will be leaving every Club so overheads and wages will plummet, most staff are furloughed anyway so although there will still be overheads the Club could realistically be mothballed until 2021 if needed with just a skeleton staff required. I think it’s the uncertainty of the situation that is the problem and there is definitely a lack of leadership within the EFL/FA.

As I mentioned last month, this season needs sorting out because until a decision is made it’s difficult to plan for the next one or an extended period of inactivity. We aren’t playing anytime soon so average up the points from the remaining games or null and void the season, it’s what is best for the majority of Clubs not the minority who have a vested interest in promotion/relegation issues, the financial crisis in football is now bigger than individual Clubs desires. Once a decision has been made we can start thinking about starting the new season later in the year, things will look different in 6 months time ( October) and to help with finances Clubs could start to sell season tickets over the summer months, maybe some Clubs will look to do deals on a 2 year season ticket to generate more cash. Our home support means we could socially distance to some degree in the Stadium, sell every other seat for example and leave one free but hopefully by the back end of the year we won’t need to do that.

A cap on squad size and wages would also be a welcome move and help to eliminate the problem with agents taking money out of the game. This is a ideal opportunity to change the game for the better going forward and it needs some radical thinkers, movers and shakers involved ,big and brave decisions to be made. One thing I would like to see is a serious discussion about a return to regionalised leagues, i think that could prove to be a master stroke going forward for lower league Clubs like ourselves. Some Clubs were on the verge of extinction anyway, maybe they could be saved as a result of the furlough system, halt in proceedings. Will the time be used wisely or will it be wasted and nothing will really change?
[Post edited 6 May 2020 7:26]
Stronger, leaner, more efficient on 07:42 - May 6 with 1934 viewsisitme

Stronger, leaner, more efficient on 13:50 - May 5 by tony_roch975

A very interesting article. There will be many players this summer faced with a difficult choice. As others have said the remainder of the incompleted season needs to be written off and a system of points per home and away game used to average out the likely season points total. Not idea but it is the fairest approach. Promotion and religation is part of the game. Our league needs someone to replace Bury and Bolton and Southend are that far adrift that they should not 'get away' with having a poor 3/4 of a season. Leeds and West Brom are also clear in the Championship and for Liverpool to not be awarded the league title when they needed to win a maximum of two of their remaining games would be a travesty.

A far as the future. Plan to start leagues as normal in August, even though many/most of the early games would be behind closed doors. Do some sort of deal so that season ticket holders and other on an adhoc basis can stream games. Get shirts and other merchandise on sale. At least this way there is some revenue coming in and it will help people's mental health. Many will say that sport is not important at this time, but I suspect many of the players will be itching to get back to training and playing. You read so many stories of what happens to player and their mental health when they retire. The PFA have a massive role in the coming months to support their member.

The plans the ECB are drawing up of playing test matches in a 'bubble environment' at Old Trafford and Southampton are interesting and creative. The chance to watch some high level sport,albiet behind closed doors will be a massive bonus to many.
Stronger, leaner, more efficient on 08:19 - May 6 with 1910 viewsTalkingSutty

Stronger, leaner, more efficient on 07:42 - May 6 by isitme

A very interesting article. There will be many players this summer faced with a difficult choice. As others have said the remainder of the incompleted season needs to be written off and a system of points per home and away game used to average out the likely season points total. Not idea but it is the fairest approach. Promotion and religation is part of the game. Our league needs someone to replace Bury and Bolton and Southend are that far adrift that they should not 'get away' with having a poor 3/4 of a season. Leeds and West Brom are also clear in the Championship and for Liverpool to not be awarded the league title when they needed to win a maximum of two of their remaining games would be a travesty.

A far as the future. Plan to start leagues as normal in August, even though many/most of the early games would be behind closed doors. Do some sort of deal so that season ticket holders and other on an adhoc basis can stream games. Get shirts and other merchandise on sale. At least this way there is some revenue coming in and it will help people's mental health. Many will say that sport is not important at this time, but I suspect many of the players will be itching to get back to training and playing. You read so many stories of what happens to player and their mental health when they retire. The PFA have a massive role in the coming months to support their member.

The plans the ECB are drawing up of playing test matches in a 'bubble environment' at Old Trafford and Southampton are interesting and creative. The chance to watch some high level sport,albiet behind closed doors will be a massive bonus to many.

The problem with planning to start in August is the inability of players to socially distance and the amount of tests that would be required throughout the football leagues on a weekly basis, cost is also involved. Squads would have to be in place and pre-season would start next month if a August re-start was planned and I don’t see that happening. The problem we have now is nobody is showing any leadership regarding concluding the current season, we are in a footballing abyss.

Why not even just bite the bullet and say we are going to close down the EFL until 2021 and restructure the whole leagues, sort out a wage cap etc ...the Championship could become Premiership league Two and we could have Northern League One and Two and Southern League One and Two. The FA cup could still be a National competition. Now is a ideal time to restructure the game and come back stronger in the long run. Something needs doing because football is rotten and riddled with greed at the moment and has been for a long time, the fans are falling out of love with the game.
[Post edited 6 May 2020 8:22]
Stronger, leaner, more efficient on 08:24 - May 6 with 1901 viewsDaleiLama

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000hyxm/bbc-news-at-ten-05052020

Start at 27:15.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Stronger, leaner, more efficient on 08:33 - May 6 with 1895 viewsisitme

Stronger, leaner, more efficient on 08:19 - May 6 by TalkingSutty

The problem with planning to start in August is the inability of players to socially distance and the amount of tests that would be required throughout the football leagues on a weekly basis, cost is also involved. Squads would have to be in place and pre-season would start next month if a August re-start was planned and I don’t see that happening. The problem we have now is nobody is showing any leadership regarding concluding the current season, we are in a footballing abyss.

Why not even just bite the bullet and say we are going to close down the EFL until 2021 and restructure the whole leagues, sort out a wage cap etc ...the Championship could become Premiership league Two and we could have Northern League One and Two and Southern League One and Two. The FA cup could still be a National competition. Now is a ideal time to restructure the game and come back stronger in the long run. Something needs doing because football is rotten and riddled with greed at the moment and has been for a long time, the fans are falling out of love with the game.
[Post edited 6 May 2020 8:22]

An interesting proposition about the change in the leagues, which logistically and financially would make sense.

As, like flu this virus is unlikely to ever go away, how long will social distancing be required for? Like with the current lock down, it cannot go on for ever and we have to try to get back to normality for the vast majority of the country. I understand entirely that it is about mitigating risk but there is even debate about what the correct distance should be and how effective it is over specific time periods.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-52522460

When young children go back to school they will not social distance,even older ones wont when they are outside of controlled classrooms.
Login to get fewer ads

Stronger, leaner, more efficient on 08:59 - May 6 with 1864 viewsTalkingSutty

Stronger, leaner, more efficient on 08:33 - May 6 by isitme

An interesting proposition about the change in the leagues, which logistically and financially would make sense.

As, like flu this virus is unlikely to ever go away, how long will social distancing be required for? Like with the current lock down, it cannot go on for ever and we have to try to get back to normality for the vast majority of the country. I understand entirely that it is about mitigating risk but there is even debate about what the correct distance should be and how effective it is over specific time periods.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-52522460

When young children go back to school they will not social distance,even older ones wont when they are outside of controlled classrooms.

Good points and I noted the suggestion that social distancing could be reduced from 2 meters to 1 meter. Things will evolve but to start a new season on a certain date would probably require a couple of months preparation by the Clubs, that’s even if they have a squad of players in place, which after next month they won’t have.
Stronger, leaner, more efficient on 09:03 - May 6 with 1854 viewsisitme

Stronger, leaner, more efficient on 08:59 - May 6 by TalkingSutty

Good points and I noted the suggestion that social distancing could be reduced from 2 meters to 1 meter. Things will evolve but to start a new season on a certain date would probably require a couple of months preparation by the Clubs, that’s even if they have a squad of players in place, which after next month they won’t have.

Absolutely.I think we have hardly any players under contract past 30th June as it is.As you say there is big lack of leadership from the EFL and PFA.

What do you think about the ideas for cricket?
Stronger, leaner, more efficient on 10:41 - May 6 with 1755 viewsD_Alien

Stronger, leaner, more efficient on 09:03 - May 6 by isitme

Absolutely.I think we have hardly any players under contract past 30th June as it is.As you say there is big lack of leadership from the EFL and PFA.

Some perspective from Justin Langer:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/52167632

I think the desire among professional sportspeople to simply get out there and play will eventually overcome any hesitancy, providing the requisite safeguards can be put in place (which is a different debate) but what the players in each sporting category will have to first recognise is their sports are taking such a massive financial hit that they must play their part in accepting that the 'new normal' will involve a reduction in wages across the board

Although the EFL/FA and other sporting bodies can be accused of a lack of leadership, and i don't doubt that might be the case in some respects, perhaps what we're not seeing is the full extent of the behind-the-scenes tussle to establish what that 'new normal' might look like, and an attempt to coerce players at this stage through publicly taking them to task for not immediately accepting the probabilities of reduced wages might be seen as counterproductive

We're getting hints at the above, but there may also be an element of biding time to see, first, how the partial relaxation of the lockdown starts, and then just run down time towards the end of contracts, in the hope/expectation it will force the issue unless the players unions can bite the bullet before then
[Post edited 6 May 2020 10:55]

Stronger, leaner, more efficient on 11:56 - May 6 with 1685 viewsTalkingSutty

Stronger, leaner, more efficient on 09:03 - May 6 by isitme

I think the idea for cricket is workable, it depends if the players and everybody involved has the appetite for it.
Stronger, leaner, more efficient on 12:37 - May 6 with 1636 viewsBigDaveMyCock

The huge problem with a contact sport like football will be the issue of liability in respect of players health and that of their families. Presuming that the scientific and government’s advice re social distancing will remain in place for the foreseeable future, then whoever’s decision it will be to commence playing during this time (the clubs, EFL, the Prem) will be exposed to enormous risk re liability in this regard.
If an employer reopens an office and it strictly adheres to all government requirements then it will likely to be deemed to have done all it could have done in respect of health and safety and employer’s liability re its employees and the virus.
Football, if it is to commence at any time whilst social distancing is in place, would be doing so in disregard of prevailing scientific and government advice. This would leave clubs etc. incredibly exposed re any legal claim should a player or a member of their families become seriously ill (or even worse) as result of them contracting the virus whilst playing in a match or training. I doubt any insurer would cover them for such a risk.
Whist I’m sure most footballers are chomping at the bit to get back that does not release their employer’s liability in respect of them.
For example, an employee who refuses to wear safety equipment and is subsequently injured does not release their employers from having liability for the injuries they sustain.
[Post edited 6 May 2020 13:05]

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

Stronger, leaner, more efficient on 12:58 - May 6 with 1596 viewsjudd

Stronger, leaner, more efficient on 12:37 - May 6 by BigDaveMyCock

The huge problem with a contact sport like football will be the issue of liability in respect of players health and that of their families. Presuming that the scientific and government’s advice re social distancing will remain in place for the foreseeable future, then whoever’s decision it will be to commence playing during this time (the clubs, EFL, the Prem) will be exposed to enormous risk re liability in this regard.
If an employer reopens an office and it strictly adheres to all government requirements then it will likely to be deemed to have done all it could have done in respect of health and safety and employer’s liability re its employees and the virus.
Football, if it is to commence at any time whilst social distancing is in place, would be doing so in disregard of prevailing scientific and government advice. This would leave clubs etc. incredibly exposed re any legal claim should a player or a member of their families become seriously ill (or even worse) as result of them contracting the virus whilst playing in a match or training. I doubt any insurer would cover them for such a risk.
Whist I’m sure most footballers are chomping at the bit to get back that does not release their employer’s liability in respect of them.
For example, an employee who refuses to wear safety equipment and is subsequently injured does not release their employers from having liability for the injuries they sustain.
[Post edited 6 May 2020 13:05]

Well there has been some high level investigation into playing away and scoring which has led to a suspension, so who knows...

Poll: What is it to be then?

Stronger, leaner, more efficient on 13:04 - May 6 with 1586 viewsBigDaveMyCock

Stronger, leaner, more efficient on 12:58 - May 6 by judd

Well there has been some high level investigation into playing away and scoring which has led to a suspension, so who knows...

Yes, Kyle Walker is apparently very contagious and you might get Covid 19 off him n’all.

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024