Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Star Pub 20:27 - May 20 with 1595 viewsblackdogblue

Was talking to a mate earlier, seems someone with less sense than a bucket fan who held on to his season ticket in hope has been mugged by Humphrey Smith into taking over the Star in Edenfield Road. Signs of help wanted ring this number have disappeared from the windows & signs of life inside....

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

The Star Pub on 20:39 - May 20 with 1547 viewssmaclad1

Humph's easily pleased - so long as there are no signs of enjoyment, you keep a fire going 365 days a year (at your own expense) and mange to get 84 pints out of a 9 gallon cask you won't go too far wrong. Probably best too if his missus doesn't argue and have a scrap with him. I understand that didn't count much in that landlord's favour!

Remember 20 years ago or so Sam's spent a fortune putting the Bridge Inn on Well i'th' Lane back to how it used to be - back to multi-roomed, specially made replacement floor and wall tiling etc. Super old school landlord when it re-opened - place was packed and rocking, even mid-weeks. Soon went the way of all Sam's pubs - a number of stand-ins, temporary managers (their existence dates this story!), punters going elsewhere and it wasn't long before it was advertising quiz nights with 8 pints of lager as first prize.
The Star Pub on 20:40 - May 20 with 1546 viewsrobtheb

Someone was cleaning inside yesterday when I walked past. Signs came down last week.
Good pub with the right person running it. Popular.
The Star Pub on 21:24 - May 20 with 1491 viewssmaclad1

Just looked on Sam's website and it says "Samuel Smith’s Brewery operates in the region of 200 pubs; most are small pubs situated in the former mill, mine and steel areas of the north of England. Many pubs in such neighbourhoods are closing but we keep ours open and well maintained serving the local community and offering value for money. "

You then look at Gumtree where there are 52 adverts for pub managers. There's a couple of possible duplicates but the proportion of pubs that must be closed is incredible. Noted that the Kingway and the Alpine Pissedoff are both on the list - might not have been open for a while but Sams don't really seem to dispose of pubs. Also on the list is a pub in Droitwich that Sams bought, tarted up, and which Humph closed after what must be a record seven days because of swearing https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/samuel-smiths-pub-swearing-ban-h
The Star Pub on 07:17 - May 21 with 1313 viewsfitzochris

I was in the Star the night the previous landlords effed off. It was after a Dale game. They gave free food and drink to the punters in at the time. What motivated such generosity only became apparent over the following days.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024