Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New York, Going Next Week Any Eating Drinking Advice?? 20:45 - Nov 12 with 5302 viewsSW17_RRR

As above
New York, Going Next Week Any Eating Drinking Advice?? on 21:12 - Nov 12 with 4358 viewsted_hendrix

Eating; any of the Tad's Steakhouse's, there are quite a few scattered around the big apple.

Drinks; Can only say give B.B.Kings a miss on West 42nd Street, an awfully expensive rip off and a disappointment, plenty of Irish bars around though.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

New York, Going Next Week Any Eating Drinking Advice?? on 21:23 - Nov 12 with 4335 viewsLblock

Not been to NY for years and years.
Used to head over there every 2 years, stock up at Woodbury Common for clothes and then take in a few sites and hit the bars and clubs.

For me, Smith & Wollenskys is the best steakhouse in the world

Bars change so regular I wouldn't know what's the current gaffs but any rooftop bar will be expensive but well worth it

Njoi

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

New York, Going Next Week Any Eating Drinking Advice?? on 21:32 - Nov 12 with 4321 viewsRed_Ranger

Oyster Bar- Grand Union Station. "clams on the half shell".
New York, Going Next Week Any Eating Drinking Advice?? on 21:38 - Nov 12 with 4303 viewsthame_hoops

New York, Going Next Week Any Eating Drinking Advice?? on 21:12 - Nov 12 by ted_hendrix

Eating; any of the Tad's Steakhouse's, there are quite a few scattered around the big apple.

Drinks; Can only say give B.B.Kings a miss on West 42nd Street, an awfully expensive rip off and a disappointment, plenty of Irish bars around though.

agree RE BB kings.

Brooklyn gave me some good recommendations, PM him.

Tonic Bar on times sq is a great bar, plenty of nice women!

If you get time head up to Connecticut for a day, beautiful place, an hour on the train from grand central.

New York, Going Next Week Any Eating Drinking Advice?? on 22:44 - Nov 12 with 4252 viewshoof_hearted

Stanton social. Lower east side. Google it. My favourite ever meal out.

Agree with smith & wollensky for top steaks.

Deli breakfasts. Mmmmmm.
New York, Going Next Week Any Eating Drinking Advice?? on 22:58 - Nov 12 with 4243 viewsyankranger

For food I would stick to the Italian, Mexican, Sushi, burgers and Steak places. Those cuisines are better in NY than London as a rule of thumb. Thai, Chinese, Indian, middle eastern will all be a disappointment in NY versus London.

Italian- Ecco in Tribeca. Supper in the East Village.
Steak - Peter Lugers in Brooklyn, legendary. Need res. Sparks
Sushi - Zutto in tribeca
Mexican - Mamma Mexicana in the East 40's
Burgers - shake shack in Madison square park - will be long line
Seafood - Mary's Fish Camp in the west village.
BBQ - dinosaur BBQ in Harlem. A bit of a drive but awesome.

Drinking - tons of good bars in the east village. Will be younger and cheaper but a lot of good spots to bounce between. West Village will be slightly more upscale but good as well. I would stick to those areas for going out.

Other things - being a sports fan I'd go to a Knicks game if they are at home. MSG is a great arena and a smart basketball crowd.

Shopping - soho is the area to walk around if the weather is ok. Tons of cool shops.

I'd avoid times square except if you want to see it quickly. But it is now just one big tourist trap.

Stick to bottles if drinking beer. Most bars don't clean the taps well like they do hear so you get some major hangovers. I notice it when i go back.

Enjoy the trip
New York, Going Next Week Any Eating Drinking Advice?? on 23:12 - Nov 12 with 4229 viewstinhead

This place sounds sh!t but was the dogs danglies when I went there in August....

Quality Meats.

Possibly the wort name for a restaurant but the food was amazing,

I had the clam chowder for a starter followed by the 26oz, 28 day aged rib eye... Man that was a monster meal

Think it's at 57 west 58th street.

Can't recommend it enough

Puny God!

New York, Going Next Week Any Eating Drinking Advice?? on 23:15 - Nov 12 with 4223 viewsNorthernr

Five Napkin Burger - 9th Street. Enjoyed that.

Clinton Street Baking Company - breakfast pancakes the likes of which I've never seen or tasted before. Amazing.
Login to get fewer ads

New York, Going Next Week Any Eating Drinking Advice?? on 23:48 - Nov 12 with 4197 viewsBklynRanger

New York, Going Next Week Any Eating Drinking Advice?? on 22:58 - Nov 12 by yankranger

For food I would stick to the Italian, Mexican, Sushi, burgers and Steak places. Those cuisines are better in NY than London as a rule of thumb. Thai, Chinese, Indian, middle eastern will all be a disappointment in NY versus London.

Italian- Ecco in Tribeca. Supper in the East Village.
Steak - Peter Lugers in Brooklyn, legendary. Need res. Sparks
Sushi - Zutto in tribeca
Mexican - Mamma Mexicana in the East 40's
Burgers - shake shack in Madison square park - will be long line
Seafood - Mary's Fish Camp in the west village.
BBQ - dinosaur BBQ in Harlem. A bit of a drive but awesome.

Drinking - tons of good bars in the east village. Will be younger and cheaper but a lot of good spots to bounce between. West Village will be slightly more upscale but good as well. I would stick to those areas for going out.

Other things - being a sports fan I'd go to a Knicks game if they are at home. MSG is a great arena and a smart basketball crowd.

Shopping - soho is the area to walk around if the weather is ok. Tons of cool shops.

I'd avoid times square except if you want to see it quickly. But it is now just one big tourist trap.

Stick to bottles if drinking beer. Most bars don't clean the taps well like they do hear so you get some major hangovers. I notice it when i go back.

Enjoy the trip

Well I see my name mentioned but yank and a few of the others seem to have you covered. I'd maybe add a couple of things:

If you are in soho there's a couple of good places to consider
- La Esquina for Mexican
- Lombardi's for pizza
- The other, probably more famous, place for pizza is Grimaldis which you could go to after walking over the Brooklyn Bridge. I'll give you a tip if you go there:

Don't stand in the big fat queue. Go up to the door and see if there's any room at the bar. If so ask the guy if you can sit there. You'll have more elbow room anyway and you won't be outside in the cold. They very often have a queue out there because their new location is too big for the coal oven, so rather than have everybody inside waiting for the thing to heat up they let it look like it's packed inside - but with a bit of charm you can be inside drinking while you wait rather than listening to people from Minnesota.

If you want to get adventurous there's a great Argentian place in Queens called La Esquina Crioalla. But it is a trek on the 7 train so should only be undertaken if you're feeling adventurous and want to see how brilliantly foreign some parts of the city can feel.

Also in Queens but much closer for you there's good Greek food in Astoria. Zenon Taverna is nice. In that general area there is also a place called Martha's Country Bakery - their Berry Napoleons haunt my dreams sometimes.

Anyway, yeah - there's loads of good food.
I won't really get into the bars - follow Yank's advice basically (though I never noticed the issue with the taps maybe I've been too critical of my hangovers all these years). Irish bars generally wind me up tbh but if you want one that's still fairly untouched and good for a cozy battering session I'd recommend Malachy's on 72nd St.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
New York, Going Next Week Any Eating Drinking Advice?? on 23:53 - Nov 12 with 4195 viewsted_hendrix

Er, in a sort of gastronomical related way, nobody anywhere in the world makes pies like Americans. (the pudding type)

And how come the wordly travellers of LFW always seem to remember where they've eaten?

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

New York, Going Next Week Any Eating Drinking Advice?? on 00:09 - Nov 13 with 4188 viewsBklynRanger

Tatoos, Ted. Many of us are covered in them - some have menus engraved on bellies.
New York, Going Next Week Any Eating Drinking Advice?? on 08:31 - Nov 13 with 4130 views08olesen

The National near lexington is an amazing place for breakfast.
And sparks steakhouse is one of the best. But quite expensive.

Poll: Who will the other play off

New York, Going Next Week Any Eating Drinking Advice?? on 08:40 - Nov 13 with 4125 viewswestberksr

New York, Going Next Week Any Eating Drinking Advice?? on 22:44 - Nov 12 by hoof_hearted

Stanton social. Lower east side. Google it. My favourite ever meal out.

Agree with smith & wollensky for top steaks.

Deli breakfasts. Mmmmmm.

loved Stanton Social when I went there a few years ago; also love that whole area.

another good one if you like Asian is Buddhakhan in Chelsea (hate even typing it), quite flash and a bit more expensive but we had a great night there. Also going into Chelsea market and wondering around is a good way to pass an hour.

(both the above were 3 years ago so check tripadviser or similar for recent reviews)
New York, Going Next Week Any Eating Drinking Advice?? on 09:03 - Nov 13 with 4115 viewsBlackCrowe

Balaboosta Restaurant in Soho...needs booking, but great neighborhood restaurant, full of locals and atmosphere. Great pub opposite too (can't remember name but has it's own microbrewery.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

New York, Going Next Week Any Eating Drinking Advice?? on 09:21 - Nov 13 with 4103 viewssmegma

My advice for drinking is to enter a drinking establishment, order beers , pay for them (plus the tip !!) sit down and imbibe !!!! Never found a bad bar when I was there 14 months ago although the ones in Chinatown were as nice as the springbok !
New York, Going Next Week Any Eating Drinking Advice?? on 09:25 - Nov 13 with 4098 viewsJamie

New York, Going Next Week Any Eating Drinking Advice?? on 09:34 - Nov 13 with 4089 viewsShotKneesHoop

All major Yankee beers, Budweiser, Coors, Millers, Schlitz etc are total shyte.
Whereas the microbreweries in New England make beer now that's as good as anything in the UK, and they sell them as premium beers in most pubs.

Best bets are Longhammer IPA and Mayflower IPA; there's a trendyish bar on 42 and 6th which serves both. They don't put the ABV on the bottle on on the board, so be careful as they are both 6 / 7 %.

You can also buy a pack of 6 bottles of ether of these in a NY supermarket for 6 dollars which is real good value.

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

New York, Going Next Week Any Eating Drinking Advice?? on 10:39 - Nov 13 with 4058 viewsKonk

Minetta Tavern & Balthazar — neither is cheap, but we had fantastic meals at both in great dining rooms. You’ll need a reservation. As Brooklyn has suggested, La Esquina is well worth a shout and Grimaldis was very good for pizza (we just sat at the bar — pizzas are ridiculously big, but not sure what the etiquette is on sharing a pizza between two). Also, as Yankranger has said, Shake Shack in Madison Square is great, but the queues are a bit mental, so you want to avoid the peak of lunch hour times if possible.

Not sure what sort of bars you like, but I tend to like somewhere with a bit of character, quality craft beers and a good jukebox or sounds being played. I’ve had much better days out drinking in Brooklyn than I have Manhattan, where I’ve generally been a bit underwhelmed. These are some of the places that we went to, but most are in Brooklyn:

Green Point/Prospect Heights (Brooklyn)

The Diamond
Black Rabbit
Pencil Factory
Lulu’s
Franklin Park Bar

Williamsburg (Brooklyn)

Pete’s Candy Store
Duck-Duck
Burnside
Crown Victoria
Clem’s
Lucky dog
Banter (went there for a Fulham football — terrible name, but not a bad spot to watch a game)

Gowanus/Carrol Gardens/Park Slope (Brooklyn)
Canal Bar
Buttermilk Bar
Commonwealth
Mission Dolores
High Dive

Manhattan — not really that fussed about Manhattan for drinking. Found a few decent spots on the Lower East side, in the villages etc. My favourite was probably 124 Old Rabbit Club, which is opposite the Minetta Tavern.

If you look at Yelp.com, you can search for specific types of bars in whatever neighbourhoods you’re visiting.

Only other advice would be if you get to choose between the Empire State Building and the Top of the Rock, I’d go for the latter. You get to see Central Park and appreciate its scale and you also get to see the Empire State Building itself. We got tickets for about 30 minutes before the sun went down, so got to see Central Park and the rest of NYC in the day, took a seat as the sun went down and then got to see the city all lit up.

Oh, and have a look at the High Line — a really nice spot for a quite walk.

Have a great trip.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

New York, Going Next Week Any Eating Drinking Advice?? on 11:10 - Nov 13 with 4040 viewsgordanoR

Milano's Bar 51 E Houston St.

Excellent old dive bar, really friendly staff & customers, looks like an utter sh1thole though.
New York, Going Next Week Any Eating Drinking Advice?? on 11:35 - Nov 13 with 4025 viewsrobith

A lot of my tips have already been done.

Shake Shack, obvs.
Freemans on Lower East Side. Incredible food, awesome cocktails
5 Leaves in Williamsburg
Grimaldis and Lomabardis - tip for the former, I went at 3pm and just walked in and sat down
Went to some back alley Vietnamese place in Chinatown and ordered pho. Got an absolute bucket of the stuff and it was flipping incredible
Coney Island for Nathan's hot dogs. Also the pervading pathos of the place as well as the beautiful beach. Before they tear it all down and make flats no one can afford to live in

Drinkin

Second Konk on Lucky Dog. Williamsburg in general.
Union Pool on a Monday night. There's a free show every week by The Reverend Vince Anderson and His Love Choir. It's "non denominational preaching in song" - what that means is a Tom Waits/Leonard Cohen esque dude sining songs about his life backed by people from famous bands like TV on The Radio, and getting everyone to hug and stuff. It's amazing. Afterwards it has an outside with a bonfire and a taco truck.

Duplex in Chelsea is ostensibly a gay bar, but it's only upstairs that's all out guys in vests and lasers kind of thing. Downstairs has a grand piano with people from broadway chrous lines sing show tunes (I went on Halloween so they sand the Rocky Horror soundtrack) with table service. Great place.

Also have as much Brooklyn Lager as possible. Gorgeous that stuff - kind of pale ale ish with citrus flavours. Although it will then be shocking when you see it here and it costs £5 a pint :(

High Line in Chelsea is ace. As mentioned Top of the Rock is infinitely nicer than Empire state building - spacious lift rather than a cattle truck, aren't forced to get out early to pose in front of a blue screen for a tacky $10 photo, glass round the edges rather than chicken wire. Also there's some great entrance deals. We got Top of the Rock and MoMA combined for $20 (latter definitely worth a visit)
New York, Going Next Week Any Eating Drinking Advice?? on 11:45 - Nov 13 with 4020 viewssmegma

New York, Going Next Week Any Eating Drinking Advice?? on 09:34 - Nov 13 by ShotKneesHoop

All major Yankee beers, Budweiser, Coors, Millers, Schlitz etc are total shyte.
Whereas the microbreweries in New England make beer now that's as good as anything in the UK, and they sell them as premium beers in most pubs.

Best bets are Longhammer IPA and Mayflower IPA; there's a trendyish bar on 42 and 6th which serves both. They don't put the ABV on the bottle on on the board, so be careful as they are both 6 / 7 %.

You can also buy a pack of 6 bottles of ether of these in a NY supermarket for 6 dollars which is real good value.

"All major Yankee beers, Budweiser, Coors, Millers, Schlitz etc are total shyte".

Totally agree.

I recommend Blue Moon though, which happens to be a NY beer as well.
New York, Going Next Week Any Eating Drinking Advice?? on 11:52 - Nov 13 with 4016 viewsKonk

New York, Going Next Week Any Eating Drinking Advice?? on 11:45 - Nov 13 by smegma

"All major Yankee beers, Budweiser, Coors, Millers, Schlitz etc are total shyte".

Totally agree.

I recommend Blue Moon though, which happens to be a NY beer as well.

Blue Moon is a decent drop, but there are loads and loads of really good craft beers being knocked out by the Yanks. If you like a hoppy IPA then you'll be in heaven, but the 6-7% content can take its toll over a session.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

New York, Going Next Week Any Eating Drinking Advice?? on 14:54 - Nov 13 with 3968 viewsBklynRanger

Dogfish Head for example - their Indian Brown Ale is 7.2% of heavenly oblivion.

Anyway - - OP hasn't shown up and we're still going. Anything to get minds off the f*****ll I suppose.

Some great suggestions on here - reminds me I need to get out more.
New York, Going Next Week Any Eating Drinking Advice?? on 14:56 - Nov 13 with 3963 viewsBlackCrowe

New York, Going Next Week Any Eating Drinking Advice?? on 14:54 - Nov 13 by BklynRanger

Dogfish Head for example - their Indian Brown Ale is 7.2% of heavenly oblivion.

Anyway - - OP hasn't shown up and we're still going. Anything to get minds off the f*****ll I suppose.

Some great suggestions on here - reminds me I need to get out more.

Check out the rooftop bar at the Gansevoort Hotel....

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

New York, Going Next Week Any Eating Drinking Advice?? on 15:34 - Nov 13 with 3942 viewsenfieldargh

can you go see sister bobby and ask if QPR will stay up this season?

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024