Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. 20:42 - Apr 24 with 104239 viewsDale57

What things and places have a special place in your Rochdale childhood.........
Some of mine are
Brights nursery on whitwoth rd
Heybrook school
Howarth cross
Football and sports against other schools around Rochdale
Rochdale baths
ABC cinema
Holingworth lake
Fair on cattle market (now cop shop)
Ashy valley flats
Loads more.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 13:29 - Nov 15 with 3619 viewsmingthemerciless

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 23:34 - Apr 24 by Dale57

Watching my father playing for Mayfield on the tips,the pitch was covered with cinders.

I played football there, against " Rochdale Athletic " I think.

I could write a book on this theme but I won't. Does anybody else remember getting the bus from Firegrove on Saturday afternoons after playing and jumping off the bus at the bottom of Drake St. If the lights were on red you could jump off outside that TV shop ( DER ? ) and catch the football results coming on the TV's in the window on the teleprinter.
[Post edited 15 Nov 2017 14:00]
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 13:29 - Nov 15 with 3599 viewsjudd

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 12:54 - Nov 15 by chalkyncfc

Wow,she sounds like a fearsome character, I would have loved to have met her,I bet that that would have had loads of stories to tell about her life

She was a bit like you, chalky. Loved a cockatoo

Poll: What is it to be then?

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 15:12 - Nov 15 with 3577 viewschalkyncfc

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 13:29 - Nov 15 by judd

She was a bit like you, chalky. Loved a cockatoo

Aye so I gather Judd
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 17:18 - Nov 15 with 3525 viewssoulboy

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 12:28 - Nov 15 by mingthemerciless

I think she'd " lost her amateur status " unfortunately, but I wouldn't have thought her charges would have been too eccessive.
I can remember her from the 60's when she'd be around 30 ish I suppose, maybe a little bit younger. She was a big girl in a micro mini skirt. The guys who did that " Fat Slags " cartoon strip in Viz must have used her as their inspiration.
[Post edited 15 Nov 2017 13:26]

Franny was a real sight to behold every home game she stood on the slope next to the main stand, usually a couple of kids with her, occasionally wrapping her chewing gum round her finger before it went back in her mouth. As you said micro mini skirt, white high heels, and corned beef legs. She'd probably be banned these days.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 18:33 - Nov 15 with 3483 viewsArthurDaley

Continuing the theme, anybody remember a women of the night, called red wellies, on account of she always wore red boots to advertise her trade. Must be going back to the 60s. Towards the end of her career she was convicted of living on immoral earnings

A large VAT Dave

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 18:33 - Nov 15 with 3483 viewsmingthemerciless

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 17:18 - Nov 15 by soulboy

Franny was a real sight to behold every home game she stood on the slope next to the main stand, usually a couple of kids with her, occasionally wrapping her chewing gum round her finger before it went back in her mouth. As you said micro mini skirt, white high heels, and corned beef legs. She'd probably be banned these days.

The Co-op used to sell off 45's that hadn't been sold. One for " Soul Boy " here - I got " Mickey"'s Monkey " by The Miracles on Oriole and " Um, Um, Um, Um, Um, Um, " by Major Lance on the original label ( Columbia ? ) for 2/6 each !
[Post edited 15 Nov 2017 18:50]
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 18:43 - Nov 15 with 3474 viewspioneer

Not quite as 'accommodating' as Franny, but do folks remember Jimmy Cotton, went to all dale and Hornets home games, worked at Turners. He passed away a few years ago, I think there might have been a thread on here at the time
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 18:54 - Nov 15 with 3465 viewsmingthemerciless

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 18:43 - Nov 15 by pioneer

Not quite as 'accommodating' as Franny, but do folks remember Jimmy Cotton, went to all dale and Hornets home games, worked at Turners. He passed away a few years ago, I think there might have been a thread on here at the time

Yep, I remember him well. I think he also went to the Cricket when it was down at Dane St. He probably went to more Dale/Hornets games than anybody I know. He went to Hornets away games also, don't know about the Dale away games.
Login to get fewer ads

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 19:01 - Nov 15 with 3457 viewspioneer

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 18:54 - Nov 15 by mingthemerciless

Yep, I remember him well. I think he also went to the Cricket when it was down at Dane St. He probably went to more Dale/Hornets games than anybody I know. He went to Hornets away games also, don't know about the Dale away games.

He would go to some of the nearer away games like Halifax and Bradford, always on Ellen Smiths.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 19:01 - Nov 15 with 3457 viewssoulboy

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 18:33 - Nov 15 by mingthemerciless

The Co-op used to sell off 45's that hadn't been sold. One for " Soul Boy " here - I got " Mickey"'s Monkey " by The Miracles on Oriole and " Um, Um, Um, Um, Um, Um, " by Major Lance on the original label ( Columbia ? ) for 2/6 each !
[Post edited 15 Nov 2017 18:50]

It was columbia great when there were shops like that
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 19:29 - Nov 15 with 3421 viewsrobtheb

And now for the next character....remember Harry Bonnett? he was always hanging about the bus station.

He had a large, strange shaped head.

Rumour had it he donated his head to medical science when he died, but he got run over by a bus causing excessive damage. How true this is I am not sure.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 19:39 - Nov 15 with 3412 viewssykeboy

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 18:54 - Nov 15 by mingthemerciless

Yep remember Jimmy well always watching cricket at Dane Street during my playing days
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 19:42 - Nov 15 with 3405 viewschalkyncfc

Franny with a large sexual appetite and Bonnet with a misshaped head,is this a wind up or summat
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 19:45 - Nov 15 with 3400 viewsrobtheb

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 19:42 - Nov 15 by chalkyncfc

Franny with a large sexual appetite and Bonnet with a misshaped head,is this a wind up or summat

No, it's all true....just part of this crazy town we live in!
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 20:18 - Nov 15 with 3378 viewschalkyncfc

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 19:45 - Nov 15 by robtheb

No, it's all true....just part of this crazy town we live in!

I shudder to even ask about BigDaveMyCock then
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 21:48 - Nov 15 with 3346 viewsmingthemerciless

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 19:29 - Nov 15 by robtheb

And now for the next character....remember Harry Bonnett? he was always hanging about the bus station.

He had a large, strange shaped head.

Rumour had it he donated his head to medical science when he died, but he got run over by a bus causing excessive damage. How true this is I am not sure.

I remember him wandering about the town. I also heard the story about one of the London Hospitals giving him a decent amount of money to leave his head to science. I also heard he was run over by a bus and his head rendered unusable by the hospital.

Anybody remember a similar poor bloke who knocked about town called Totty Lemon ?
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 22:34 - Nov 15 with 3315 viewsrobtheb

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 21:48 - Nov 15 by mingthemerciless

I remember him wandering about the town. I also heard the story about one of the London Hospitals giving him a decent amount of money to leave his head to science. I also heard he was run over by a bus and his head rendered unusable by the hospital.

Anybody remember a similar poor bloke who knocked about town called Totty Lemon ?

I know the name but can't place him, unless it was the tramp like guy who was always up and down Drake Street.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 23:13 - Nov 15 with 3294 viewskiwidale

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 22:34 - Nov 15 by robtheb

I know the name but can't place him, unless it was the tramp like guy who was always up and down Drake Street.

Totty lemon how he got the name is anybody's guess. Im sure he wasn't christened Totty? or Lemon? was a small scruffily dressed chap who shuffled around town, he might have been homeless and tramp was probably a good description. Totty was one of lifes unfortunates having the full set of a cleft pallet a hair lip and gimpy leg. I should really go to confession and confess about the names we called him as kids, while I'm there perhaps I should also tell him about the unfortunate incident with Franny Hall.

edit to add... she chased me around the fairground for calling her a fat slag i was about 13 at the time.
[Post edited 15 Nov 2017 23:34]

This is not the time for bickering.

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 00:40 - Nov 16 with 3267 viewsdownunder

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 12:05 - Nov 15 by sykeboy

Wow Tropical club they don’t make em like that anymore

Big guy on the door once stopped us from going in. He asked us if we had knives or knuckledusters.
"Of course not"
"Do you wanna borrow one of mine?"
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 01:43 - Nov 16 with 3255 viewspioneer

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 23:13 - Nov 15 by kiwidale

Totty lemon how he got the name is anybody's guess. Im sure he wasn't christened Totty? or Lemon? was a small scruffily dressed chap who shuffled around town, he might have been homeless and tramp was probably a good description. Totty was one of lifes unfortunates having the full set of a cleft pallet a hair lip and gimpy leg. I should really go to confession and confess about the names we called him as kids, while I'm there perhaps I should also tell him about the unfortunate incident with Franny Hall.

edit to add... she chased me around the fairground for calling her a fat slag i was about 13 at the time.
[Post edited 15 Nov 2017 23:34]

Come on kiwidale, Franny Hall chased anything in pants and it was never for calling her a name!
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 03:25 - Nov 16 with 3242 viewskiwidale

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 01:43 - Nov 16 by pioneer

Come on kiwidale, Franny Hall chased anything in pants and it was never for calling her a name!

did she catch you?... i was too fast for her

This is not the time for bickering.

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 08:17 - Nov 16 with 3170 viewsmingthemerciless

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 19:01 - Nov 15 by soulboy

It was columbia great when there were shops like that

Do you remember that record stall on the lower market ? I got " Shop Around " by The Miracles on the old " London " label from there for 2/6. Unfortunately my ex-wife got all my records when we divorced many years ago. I've replaced nearly all of them on CD over the years but it's not like vinyl.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 08:23 - Nov 16 with 3162 viewssoulboy

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 08:17 - Nov 16 by mingthemerciless

Do you remember that record stall on the lower market ? I got " Shop Around " by The Miracles on the old " London " label from there for 2/6. Unfortunately my ex-wife got all my records when we divorced many years ago. I've replaced nearly all of them on CD over the years but it's not like vinyl.

Do you mean the few stalls that were facing a toy shop which i think was called the model shop? I dont remember a record stall there, the only stall i remember was Save Records that was in the main open market before it moved to the new inside market.
Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 09:21 - Nov 16 with 3108 viewsjudd

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 20:18 - Nov 15 by chalkyncfc

I shudder to even ask about BigDaveMyCock then

I'd imagine that even someone as promiscuous as Franny Hall would park the bus at the thought of BigDaveMycock knee trembling with her.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 09:28 - Nov 16 with 3108 viewsfirgrovedale51

Just a fun trip down memory lane.............................. on 12:54 - Nov 15 by chalkyncfc

Wow,she sounds like a fearsome character, I would have loved to have met her,I bet that that would have had loads of stories to tell about her life

She has been cocked more times than Elmer Fudd's shotgun
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024