Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Farewell to another music giant....... 07:22 - Nov 23 with 1575 viewsEllDale

....David Cassidy anyone?
Heart throb for so many teenage girls back in the 1970's.
Farewell to another music giant....... on 07:28 - Nov 23 with 1570 viewsDaleiLama

Was reading the obit for Rodney Bewes yesterday too. Used to enjoy the Likely Lads back in the day. Episode where they were trying to avoid the match score was a good un.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Farewell to another music giant....... on 07:32 - Nov 23 with 1567 viewsEllDale

Is that the one where they ended up hiding in a church?
Absolutely brilliant.
Farewell to another music giant....... on 16:54 - Nov 23 with 1468 viewsEllDale

Someone else who I only just found out had passed away recently was Ken Gowers.

For those who don't recognise the name he is probably the best rugby league player that Rochdale has produced although he never played for Hornets. Funnily enough his family are mainly cricketers, grandson John Simpson is wicketkeeper with Middlesex whilst I think that Ashley, another grandson, was playing at Norden in the season just gone.

Some may remember that Ken Gowers was also a builder who had his yard on Manchester Road just past Highfield hospital.
Farewell to another music giant....... on 17:02 - Nov 23 with 1462 viewsD_Alien

Farewell to another music giant....... on 16:54 - Nov 23 by EllDale

Someone else who I only just found out had passed away recently was Ken Gowers.

For those who don't recognise the name he is probably the best rugby league player that Rochdale has produced although he never played for Hornets. Funnily enough his family are mainly cricketers, grandson John Simpson is wicketkeeper with Middlesex whilst I think that Ashley, another grandson, was playing at Norden in the season just gone.

Some may remember that Ken Gowers was also a builder who had his yard on Manchester Road just past Highfield hospital.

I remember that builders yard, opposite Wheeldon's the butchers when I was growing up near there. Probably too good for Hornets at the time.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Farewell to another music giant....... on 17:19 - Nov 23 with 1434 viewsEllDale

In truth probably too good for Hornets at any time.

Strange because his dad Walter was a former player and coach with Hornets and Ken was a ballboy there as a lad.
Farewell to another music giant....... on 17:28 - Nov 23 with 1431 viewssince58

Farewell to another music giant....... on 17:02 - Nov 23 by D_Alien

I remember that builders yard, opposite Wheeldon's the butchers when I was growing up near there. Probably too good for Hornets at the time.

think therse flats there now.
Farewell to another music giant....... on 18:20 - Nov 23 with 1402 viewsD_Alien

Farewell to another music giant....... on 17:19 - Nov 23 by EllDale

Strange because his dad Walter was a former player and coach with Hornets and Ken was a ballboy there as a lad.

For a couple of years in the early 70s after Frank Myler arrived, Hornets were competitive with the top teams in the old league structure. Not sure if Gowers was still playing by then but he wouldn't have been too good during that period. Any other time, maybe.

On the topic of this thread, not sure even Cassidy would've described himself as a "music giant" but he knew how to pop the knicker elastic

Farewell to another music giant....... on 18:20 - Nov 23 with 1402 viewsmingthemerciless

Farewell to another music giant....... on 17:19 - Nov 23 by EllDale

Swinton were a really top side when Ken played for them. Another local lad and pal of mine who made the big time with Salford was Peter Banner. Anybody ever play football against him ? He was a pretty quick right winger and very,very direct ! He later also played rugby league for Wales but I don't recall him speaking much Welsh.
Login to get fewer ads

Farewell to another music giant....... on 18:24 - Nov 23 with 1395 viewsmingthemerciless

Farewell to another music giant....... on 17:02 - Nov 23 by D_Alien

Somebody once told me his yard was on the site of a German bomb which flattened the houses standing there.
Farewell to another music giant....... on 18:46 - Nov 23 with 1370 viewsD_Alien

Farewell to another music giant....... on 18:24 - Nov 23 by mingthemerciless

Somebody once told me his yard was on the site of a German bomb which flattened the houses standing there.

The "bombed buildings" as they were known were two houses in the row of large terraces on the outward bound side of Manchester Road, separated by a still-standing house in between, like a set of teeth with two gaps. I used to play in the ruins when I was a kid - ridiculously dangerous, when I think of it now

The bomb sites were there, rubble and all, until at least 1963. Gowers yard was on the other side of the road a bit further down. It's possible it may have suffered bomb damage but it didn't appear like a cleared site and the pavement had a natural break for vehicles to enter as though it had always been for industrial use

Edit: incidentally, for anyone interested, there's a documentary tonight on BBC2 9pm about the bombing of London, and the absolute lottery of whether you lived or died. The occupants of the two houses on Manchester Rd wouldn't have survived whilst those in the house in between likely would have. It's important to recognise these things, whilst they're still in living memory

[Post edited 23 Nov 2017 18:51]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024