Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Burnley 13:37 - Sep 20 with 2318 viewssamueloneils

Watching the Premier League matches this weekend I was reminded how few English players there are at the top.

But some did stick out

Burnley and Villa both started 9 "English" players
Southampton 8

down to Chelsea 1 (European champions!)
Wolves, Brentford and Liverpool 2 each.

For simplicity I`ve included Scots, Welsh and Irish in the totals- we have over a century of accepting British players as "home" players.

60% of the players who started were foreign. Why on earth do we criticise the lack of success in tournaments?
Burnley on 14:04 - Sep 20 with 2248 viewsAtThePeake

"60% of the players who started were foreign. Why on earth do we criticise the lack of success in tournaments?"

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but this summer was our best performance in a tournament over 50 years. What % of players who started in Division One in 1974 and 1978 when we failed to qualify were foreign? A lot less than 60% I'd imagine?

The argument that the amount of foreign players playing in the Premier League is holding back the national team doesn't stand up to even the tiniest bit of scrutiny.

Tangled up in blue.

Burnley on 16:11 - Sep 20 with 2009 viewssamueloneils

Burnley on 14:04 - Sep 20 by AtThePeake

"60% of the players who started were foreign. Why on earth do we criticise the lack of success in tournaments?"

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but this summer was our best performance in a tournament over 50 years. What % of players who started in Division One in 1974 and 1978 when we failed to qualify were foreign? A lot less than 60% I'd imagine?

The argument that the amount of foreign players playing in the Premier League is holding back the national team doesn't stand up to even the tiniest bit of scrutiny.

Of course you`re quite right. It`s simply I find it hard to understand how we can go to 27 major tournaments in the last 50 years and only reach the final once. If it`s not the vast number of foreign players in our top league then I guess you have another answer.
Burnley on 16:50 - Sep 20 with 1904 viewsAtThePeake

Burnley on 16:11 - Sep 20 by samueloneils

Of course you`re quite right. It`s simply I find it hard to understand how we can go to 27 major tournaments in the last 50 years and only reach the final once. If it`s not the vast number of foreign players in our top league then I guess you have another answer.

Plenty of reasons, as has been the case with other major nations that have failed to live up to expectations at major tournaments. Poor managerial appointments, a resistance to changes in playing styles and until recently, a lack of importance placed on youth development would be a few that spring to mind.

It's also worth noting that in every tournament there tends to be a handful of other, really good teams who are hard to beat. It isn't that easy to win a World Cup or Euros.

Tangled up in blue.

Burnley on 17:14 - Sep 20 with 1840 viewssamueloneils

A good example of your point re the youth development is Chelsea. My son was a referee for some time. When he reffed a Chelsea under 18 game, I checked from the programme the number of foreign juniors in the team (7) a nd none of the players, foreign or otherwise made it into the Chelsea team.

Though probably several were loaned out. I admit Chelsea are an extreme example.

I hope you picked up how good an example Burnley are to English football- and surprisingly Aston Villa (not exactly short of a bob or two)
Burnley on 17:25 - Sep 20 with 1821 viewsdingdangblue

Burnley on 16:11 - Sep 20 by samueloneils

If we could take penalties we'd have been in 2 other major finals and 3 more semi finals!

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Burnley on 17:59 - Sep 20 with 1762 views442Dale

Burnley on 17:14 - Sep 20 by samueloneils

A good example of your point re the youth development is Chelsea. My son was a referee for some time. When he reffed a Chelsea under 18 game, I checked from the programme the number of foreign juniors in the team (7) a nd none of the players, foreign or otherwise made it into the Chelsea team.

Though probably several were loaned out. I admit Chelsea are an extreme example.

I hope you picked up how good an example Burnley are to English football- and surprisingly Aston Villa (not exactly short of a bob or two)

But Burnley aren’t a good example as their style of play and tactical approach to games are not aligned with how to succeed on an international level. That’s no criticism of them at all, they do what they need to to survive in the top division, but their players often fit a certain template, one which you won’t see England utilising too often.

Nick Pope, as good a keeper as he is, provides a good example of this. He looked awkward during his appearances on a national stage because he’s not comfortable playing as an option for a pass from defenders.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Burnley on 18:22 - Sep 20 with 1707 viewsAtThePeake

Burnley on 17:14 - Sep 20 by samueloneils

Chelsea have improved on that front to some extent, with the likes of Mount and James now regulars for them and regulars in the England squad. It seems the race has been run for the likes of Hudson-Odoi and Loftus-Cheek, but at least generally they seem to be more willing to move players on that are perhaps not quite at the level required for them - hence the sale of Tammy Abraham to Roma this summer.

No doubt you feel his arrival will hold back the Italian national team yet further as he joins the 55% of Serie A players that aren't Italian...?

Tangled up in blue.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024