Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
22 Years ago.. the penalty missed 3 times 10:22 - Sep 16 with 2678 viewsBeckWMG

Reading "the truth" fwin saw R17ALE mention this penalty incident v Doncaster 22 years ago.

If I'm remembering correctly... we missed it twice, but the ref let us retake it both times due to the goalkeeper moving too early off his line!

Then the 3rd time we missed it again!

I was stood right behind the goalkeeper in the Sandy Lane end and couldn't believe what I was seeing.

3 things...

1. Who took the penalties.. I think Wayne Goodison took one
2. Has this ever been done before/since?
3. What was the result of the game?

[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
22 Years ago.. the penalty missed 3 times on 10:29 - Sep 16 with 2658 viewsjudd

Did Goodison take the first two, and was changed for the third? Which was also missed.

Also seem to remember a hammering of 3 or 4 nil.

Poll: What is it to be then?

22 Years ago.. the penalty missed 3 times on 10:32 - Sep 16 with 2638 viewsisitme

22 Years ago.. the penalty missed 3 times on 10:29 - Sep 16 by judd

Did Goodison take the first two, and was changed for the third? Which was also missed.

Also seem to remember a hammering of 3 or 4 nil.

Was it Micky Holmes? I was only 12 at the time but vaguely remember the incident.
22 Years ago.. the penalty missed 3 times on 10:37 - Sep 16 with 2631 viewsR17ALE

We lost 3-0 and O'Shaughnessy stepped up to take the 3rd kick after Goodison had missed the first two. I maybe wrong but I have a hunch the referee was Ken Redfearn that day!

TVOS will confirm all I'm sure!

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

22 Years ago.. the penalty missed 3 times on 10:43 - Sep 16 with 2613 viewsTVOS1907

22 Years ago.. the penalty missed 3 times on 10:37 - Sep 16 by R17ALE

We lost 3-0 and O'Shaughnessy stepped up to take the 3rd kick after Goodison had missed the first two. I maybe wrong but I have a hunch the referee was Ken Redfearn that day!

TVOS will confirm all I'm sure!

Dale lost 3-0, having been 2-0 down inside 16 minutes to a brace from John Muir. They got the penalties shortly after the second goal.

O'Shaughnessy had his kick saved.
O'Shaughnessy had another kick saved.
Then Wayne Goodison had a go - also saved!

The referee was Gary Aplin (Kendal).

Ken Redfern was the ref who let us re-take our penalty against Wimbledon (ironically) in the Littlewoods Cup three years earlier.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

22 Years ago.. the penalty missed 3 times on 11:19 - Sep 16 with 2579 viewsfitzochris

There was a game a few years later when Whitehall missed two penalties in a game too - I think it was against Wigan. To compound it, they then won a penalty and scored it.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

22 Years ago.. the penalty missed 3 times on 11:48 - Sep 16 with 2539 viewsTVOS1907

22 Years ago.. the penalty missed 3 times on 11:19 - Sep 16 by fitzochris

There was a game a few years later when Whitehall missed two penalties in a game too - I think it was against Wigan. To compound it, they then won a penalty and scored it.

Yep, March 1996.

It was the game where Lance Key took an air shot at Jason Peake's over-hit back pass and then watched the ball trickle over the line.

22 Years ago.. the penalty missed 3 times on 11:54 - Sep 16 with 2536 viewsClivert

22 Years ago.. the penalty missed 3 times on 11:19 - Sep 16 by fitzochris

Two different penalties that I think rather that the same penalty retaken and missed both times like the Doncaster game.

Whitehall's first penalty ended up in Denehurst Park I think!
22 Years ago.. the penalty missed 3 times on 12:14 - Sep 16 with 2505 viewsSuddenLad

I remember a 3-3 classic between Dale & Doncaster played on a rutted mud-bath of an almost unplayable pitch.

Greenhoff was manager and Stuart Thompson scored twice I think, one was an absolute cracker from about 25 yards.

The game wouldn't even have got under way these days.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Login to get fewer ads

22 Years ago.. the penalty missed 3 times on 12:56 - Sep 16 with 2464 viewsTVOS1907

22 Years ago.. the penalty missed 3 times on 12:14 - Sep 16 by SuddenLad

I remember a 3-3 classic between Dale & Doncaster played on a rutted mud-bath of an almost unplayable pitch.

Greenhoff was manager and Stuart Thompson scored twice I think, one was an absolute cracker from about 25 yards.

Dave Thompson also scored, leading to Les Barlow's headline of "The Thompson Twins" in The Ob!

For younger readers, that's a 1980s reference.

22 Years ago.. the penalty missed 3 times on 14:17 - Sep 16 with 2407 views442Dale

22 Years ago.. the penalty missed 3 times on 12:14 - Sep 16 by SuddenLad

For some reason I remember Stuart Thompson's goals being very similar, just from opposite sides of the pitch. Even aged about 8, it was obvious to me that this would be his career highlight.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

22 Years ago.. the penalty missed 3 times on 11:31 - Sep 17 with 2207 viewsMorden

22 Years ago.. the penalty missed 3 times on 12:56 - Sep 16 by TVOS1907

Dave Thompson also scored, leading to Les Barlow's headline of "The Thompson Twins" in The Ob!

For younger readers, that's a 1980s reference.

For older readers,that's a 1980s reference
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024