Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Queen Adelaide - what's happening there ? 15:13 - Aug 17 with 6160 viewsquickpassrotter

Went to the Adelaide pre-match on Saturday as usual. Noticed completely different security guys from the previous seasons on the door- two in splendid white shirts and ties. New security company. Initially stopped me to ask if I was a ''Home'' supporter as this is a ''Home Supporters Pub only'' one stated. I had to point out that the Home team play in Blue & White and that mine was a Home shirt that also carried the club badge (they've been briefed well !). In I went. Inside the Adelaide they have made an effort to clear a lot of the bar furniture - tables & chairs, for more and easier standing on match days. By 2pm the pub did not seem particularly crowded which surprised me. Got a txt from a mate - he was just coming down the Uxbridge Road so I got him a pint ready at the bar. Then he calls me to say he can't get in the pub. I go to the door and see that there is quite a sizeable queue outside the pub (probably about 20 people). I engage with the Security guy. ''We are operating a strict capacity policy'' he tells me. ''But, I say, the pub is only currently half full - take a look''. No it's at full capacity and we are now operating on a strict ''one out - one in'' policy - the Management want it that way. Finally my mate got in and got his beer, all fine - but I don't think the Adelaide was ever more than half full from about 1pm until 2.30pm on Saturday. Is the Management trying to shoot themselves in the foot on the day (once a fortnight) that they can really maximise their revenue ? I wonder if they intend to continue with this. Anyone else get caught up in this new system there ?
Queen Adelaide - what's happening there ? on 15:29 - Aug 17 with 6094 viewssuperhoop67

regular in the Adelaide ,it's all down to police orders the guvnor said also some away London derbies same rule will apply ,this is why the police closed the pub early after the play off final ,as there was no security employed
Queen Adelaide - what's happening there ? on 15:39 - Aug 17 with 6041 viewsquickpassrotter

Queen Adelaide - what's happening there ? on 15:29 - Aug 17 by superhoop67

regular in the Adelaide ,it's all down to police orders the guvnor said also some away London derbies same rule will apply ,this is why the police closed the pub early after the play off final ,as there was no security employed

Thanks for putting me in the know.
Queen Adelaide - what's happening there ? on 15:53 - Aug 17 with 5978 viewsLblock

I was in that queue and the Addy very nearly lost the trade of around 15 people for the season. If it's something that they are going to do all the time then they will which will be a real shame.
Apparently their licence is for only 250 people.

The funny thing was there were people outside being held back that had actually got a table booked!!!

With 6 pubs a week closing down I find this crazy and if I was the guvnor I'd be very concerned that big pay days that are home games will be missed. The pub was almost totally dead last night by 6.30pm and don't forget there's not many 3pm Saturday kick offs next few months

The loss of Scooby from the door is also a real shame. Proper doorman he is; talks to people sensibly, friendly and looks the part big time.

Time will tell on this one

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Queen Adelaide - what's happening there ? on 15:57 - Aug 17 with 5955 viewsbatmanhoop

probably a bit nervy with the Wall up the road visiting the Ruperts
Queen Adelaide - what's happening there ? on 20:05 - Aug 17 with 5566 viewsSomersetHoops

I hope this gets sorted - as my son used to live in Hetley Road it became a habit to go to the Adelaide after a good win. They have a kind of decked outer terrace, but I think you had to go through the pub to get to it - do they still have that?

Who's Next?

Queen Adelaide - what's happening there ? on 21:07 - Aug 17 with 5457 viewsquickpassrotter

Queen Adelaide - what's happening there ? on 20:05 - Aug 17 by SomersetHoops

I hope this gets sorted - as my son used to live in Hetley Road it became a habit to go to the Adelaide after a good win. They have a kind of decked outer terrace, but I think you had to go through the pub to get to it - do they still have that?

Yep. Still have the outdoor canopy area.
Queen Adelaide - what's happening there ? on 22:09 - Aug 17 with 5338 viewsLblock

Queen Adelaide - what's happening there ? on 21:07 - Aug 17 by quickpassrotter

Yep. Still have the outdoor canopy area.

The smokers area. Im very much anti-smoking but if you want to stand outside The Adelaide you have to run the gauntlet of choking smog.

Returning to the door policy - if this is repeated against Sunderland then I think the dozen to 18 of us that use the QA will look to move on elsewhere after years and years of using the place.
Shame

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Queen Adelaide - what's happening there ? on 22:26 - Aug 17 with 5307 viewsNorthernr

Such a shame what's happening in the Bush. Walking from the tube up to the C and S yesterday you've got O'Neills which is now the Sandercombe Cntpit, Bush Rangers is now a coffee shop, Goldhawk sits boarded up no doubt so they can get planning permission tu turn it into flats by saying it's a hazard for it to sit there like that, the Brackenbury is some weird looking Indian restaurant. Nice to see O'Donaghues has had a bit of money spent on it though!

There's clearly just no demand for a proper pub any more. It's got to be some wnky craft beer place full of people in skinny jeans and stupid hats, or some exclusive gastro pub with a door policy.

All of which means the Crown is increasingly bursting at the seams on matchdays.
Login to get fewer ads

Queen Adelaide - what's happening there ? on 00:29 - Aug 18 with 5217 viewskysersosaqpr

Nope, it means English & irish are moving out and pubs are closing. People who don't do booze are moving in and fair does. We. Are all moving up the A4 or M40 corridor.
Go to Wet Spam, my mate was saying no pubs and no-one lives there anymore, why they are all ok with Olympic stadium move.

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

Queen Adelaide - what's happening there ? on 09:19 - Aug 18 with 5016 viewsDiscodroid

pubs have it tough enough these days and are desperate to survive, 6 pubs have close around the west ham ground in the past two years to be replaced by flats, fried chicken shops and paddy powers with those crack cocaine roulette machine full to cnt burstin.

shame to hear about the policy/ restrictions in the adelaide..lanlords cant afford to turn away custom.

in 2o years i can see all the pubs bar the soulless all bar one/witherspoons confernce halls for piss heads , bad perms and suits being the only establishments left.

great if you love a scatter cushion not so good if you love a pub.

" I guess in four or five years, the new generation's music will be .. electronics, tapes. I can kind of envision .. maybe one person .. with a lot of machines, tapes, and electronics setups, singin or speaking .. and using machines " James Douglas Morrison | 1969

Queen Adelaide - what's happening there ? on 10:58 - Aug 18 with 4940 viewsrobith

That's a tad simplistic - 6 pubs a week or more are closing up and down the country, so are the english and irish moving out of everywhere?

Meanwhile property prices are rocketing - I'm a university educated middle manager and there's no way I could afford to live in Shepherd's Bush.

There are a few factors are play - first of all the margins breweries want mean "old school boozer" type pubs are near impossible to make money on. The consequence of this is pubs look to make the margins where they can, hence why they look to serve craft beers (a meaningless term) and posh food because they need to charge more and people have to feel they're getting a premium product. The inflation in price then isn't matched by increases in wages so people can't really afford to be going out - which is then hit in tandem with supermarkets using booze as a loss leader. I went out for drinks the other night and only had £20. It just about got me 4 pints
Queen Adelaide - what's happening there ? on 11:03 - Aug 18 with 4925 viewssmegma

I've given up drinking and taken up H as it's cheaper.
Queen Adelaide - what's happening there ? on 11:31 - Aug 18 with 4880 viewsbatmanhoop

pubs are closing wholesale and price must be a major factor. No way am I going to pay £4 for a pint of real ale served in a plastic glass. Drink outside the Bush on match days and it is a much more civilised experience
Queen Adelaide - what's happening there ? on 11:42 - Aug 18 with 4839 viewsDiscodroid

regarding the pub closures in and around the west ham football ground, they could only survive on west ham home gates when all pubs from barking, plaistow onwards were rammed,

people coming in from east essex use the pubs in barking before catching the train to upton park on the district line.

my old man now uses the working mans club which was rammed saturday,

the edingboro' in green street closed a few weeks ago, making it the sixth in the last two years less than half a mile from the ground.

the majority of the local poplus dont use pubs.fact.

young asian lads pop in on a sunday lunchtime to watch liverpool, man utd etc etc but buy a single coke or usually nothing and watch the game.

the area is dying on its feet and will be fkd when west ham leave for super stratford city.

phil and kirsty would have a hard job selling a property in this shit hole.

" I guess in four or five years, the new generation's music will be .. electronics, tapes. I can kind of envision .. maybe one person .. with a lot of machines, tapes, and electronics setups, singin or speaking .. and using machines " James Douglas Morrison | 1969

Queen Adelaide - what's happening there ? on 11:44 - Aug 18 with 4834 viewsDiscodroid

Queen Adelaide - what's happening there ? on 11:03 - Aug 18 by smegma

ten pints = a gram of kibble/quakers oats

all the fun but no calories.
[Post edited 18 Aug 2014 11:46]

Queen Adelaide - what's happening there ? on 11:45 - Aug 18 with 4834 viewsDiscodroid

Queen Adelaide - what's happening there ? on 11:03 - Aug 18 by smegma

not that i do it now.
[Post edited 18 Aug 2014 11:45]

Queen Adelaide - what's happening there ? on 11:53 - Aug 18 with 4808 viewsGroveR

Queen Adelaide - what's happening there ? on 22:26 - Aug 17 by Northernr

Such a shame what's happening in the Bush. Walking from the tube up to the C and S yesterday you've got O'Neills which is now the Sandercombe Cntpit, Bush Rangers is now a coffee shop, Goldhawk sits boarded up no doubt so they can get planning permission tu turn it into flats by saying it's a hazard for it to sit there like that, the Brackenbury is some weird looking Indian restaurant. Nice to see O'Donaghues has had a bit of money spent on it though!

There's clearly just no demand for a proper pub any more. It's got to be some wnky craft beer place full of people in skinny jeans and stupid hats, or some exclusive gastro pub with a door policy.

All of which means the Crown is increasingly bursting at the seams on matchdays.

The Bush has been going downhill since the Mailcoach was closed to make way for Westfield.

If you really want to hit the red line on the Nathan-Barley-o-meter, go and have a beer in BrewDog (the old Vesbar). My wife's mate organised a night in there once as she's a bit "trendy" and moves in "cool" social circles (I think a minor royal once fingered her) - the staff are too busy admiring themselves/each other to bother with punters, the drink is piss-poor and overpriced and it smells like a hobo's armpit - we fúcked off to the thai over the road after an hour.

But it is ball-achingly trendé...
Queen Adelaide - what's happening there ? on 12:56 - Aug 18 with 4713 viewsjc67

Five of us due to meet in Princess Vic pre match Saturday. Closed for private function. Went to Greyhound just up Becklow Road. Not used it before. No food, hostel rooms above but not at all bad. Marstons EPA on special at £2.50 a pint.
Queen Adelaide - what's happening there ? on 12:59 - Aug 18 with 4699 viewsBlackCrowe

Queen Adelaide - what's happening there ? on 22:26 - Aug 17 by Northernr

And boy was it bursting - to the Crown's credit, what looks like 20 minute queue to be served when you're 3 to 4 rows back actually is only 5 minutes thanks to the battalion of bar staff they have on duty.

Assume you must get there at 7.30am to get that table each time?

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Queen Adelaide - what's happening there ? on 13:17 - Aug 18 with 4652 viewsJeff

Queen Adelaide - what's happening there ? on 12:59 - Aug 18 by BlackCrowe

And boy was it bursting - to the Crown's credit, what looks like 20 minute queue to be served when you're 3 to 4 rows back actually is only 5 minutes thanks to the battalion of bar staff they have on duty.

Assume you must get there at 7.30am to get that table each time?

10:53am on Saturday as it goes

Can we not knock it?

Queen Adelaide - what's happening there ? on 13:19 - Aug 18 with 4645 viewsBlackCrowe

Queen Adelaide - what's happening there ? on 13:17 - Aug 18 by Jeff

10:53am on Saturday as it goes

fine effort

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Queen Adelaide - what's happening there ? on 13:42 - Aug 18 with 4610 viewsClive_Anderson

They need to give tax breaks to pubs, once gone they aren't ever going to be coming back. A unique part of British culture gone forever.

I'd prevent change of use to housing or anything else while I'm at it. And let's get some of the nice old boozers listed so they don't end up like the Bush Ranger before it closed.

The young people I know don't bother going down the pub as they just haven't got the money for it compared to when we were that age. Plus they don't seem to want to get as pissed either.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-25652991
Queen Adelaide - what's happening there ? on 16:07 - Aug 18 with 4499 viewsNorthernr

Queen Adelaide - what's happening there ? on 13:42 - Aug 18 by Clive_Anderson

They need to give tax breaks to pubs, once gone they aren't ever going to be coming back. A unique part of British culture gone forever.

I'd prevent change of use to housing or anything else while I'm at it. And let's get some of the nice old boozers listed so they don't end up like the Bush Ranger before it closed.

The young people I know don't bother going down the pub as they just haven't got the money for it compared to when we were that age. Plus they don't seem to want to get as pissed either.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-25652991

Council's are loathe to allow change of use from a pub to expensive poncy flats, which is why you see places like The Goldhawk sitting empty for 18 months. If they just close the pub and go to the planning board the next week asking for flats they'll get a load of "community asset" stuff thrown at them and be told to sell it or make a go of it as a pub. If they board it up and leave it, hopefully a few crack heads or romanians break in and cause a nuisance, then they can tell the council it failed as a pub and now it's a nuisance so let us turn it into flats and hey presto.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024