Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Irrelevant but still deserves a thread. 23:28 - Sep 23 with 5430 viewsbarabajagal

The team that became Queen's Park Rangers had only existed for 33 years when my grandmother was born, on Friday we celebrate her 100th birthday. Just as remarkable is that we celebrated my grandfather's 100th in August. They have been together for 86 years, with a small break for him to fight the Nazis. (He's Tottenham though!)

Needless to say, I'll have to watch the highlights of Fulham on Saturday. Hats off to all of that generation. I don't think I'd have had the minerals.

U R's.
Irrelevant but still deserves a thread. on 19:47 - Sep 24 with 1442 viewsbarabajagal

Irrelevant but still deserves a thread. on 08:45 - Sep 24 by kingshill

Absolutely nothing irrelevant about this fantastic story.

Why isn't this in the papers and on the news?

My grandmother didn't want to... Shame because it's a great 'good news' story
Irrelevant but still deserves a thread. on 19:49 - Sep 24 with 1442 viewsbarabajagal

Irrelevant but still deserves a thread. on 09:21 - Sep 24 by headhoops

amazing - hope all concerned has a great day.

How did the transition from Spurs to QPR happen? My grandad was spurs and used to take me as a 6-7 year old, sadly he passed away and the nearest ground my parents would let me go alone was QPR.

my blue and white blood came from my father's side!
Irrelevant but still deserves a thread. on 19:52 - Sep 24 with 1437 viewsbarabajagal

Irrelevant but still deserves a thread. on 11:38 - Sep 24 by ade_qpr

86 that's incredible.
Got me wondering what the record is?
How are they going? 87 plus any chance.

Unfortunately Grandad's running his last message for Monty I think, Gran will outlive us all however.
Irrelevant but still deserves a thread. on 19:55 - Sep 24 with 1431 viewsbarabajagal

Thank you everyone, I'll take the IPad and show them the good wishes.

I love this board, I love the Rangers family.

Come on you R's, do it for granny

Kindest regards to you all.

Nik and Richard Le Saux
Irrelevant but still deserves a thread. on 19:57 - Sep 24 with 1429 viewsjohncharles

Irrelevant but still deserves a thread. on 19:47 - Sep 24 by barabajagal

My grandmother didn't want to... Shame because it's a great 'good news' story

The story has got through to the people who matter. Can you show this thread to your Gran ?

Strong and stable my arse.

Irrelevant but still deserves a thread. on 20:18 - Sep 24 with 1413 viewsFredManRave

As already mentioned, it's a great story. I just hope you and Rich are in better shape since I last saw you so that you'll have no problems giving your Gran the bumps. It's gonna take a while!

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Irrelevant but still deserves a thread. on 21:12 - Sep 24 with 1396 viewsthemodfather

happy birthday to her...nice story too.
Irrelevant but still deserves a thread. on 21:49 - Sep 24 with 1383 viewsmichael67

Irrelevant but still deserves a thread. on 11:23 - Sep 24 by BrianMcCarthy

For some reason your lovely story has got me thinking of a couple who were our neighbours when we were kids. Much different couple to your Grandparents, barabajagal, but just as moving in their own way.

They were in their nineties, had been married for over sixty years and hadn't spoken for about forty of them. Not even a 'sorry there, I'll squeeze past and put the kettle on'. Nothing. They were both lovely, just had nothing left to say to each other. It was the strangest thing.

Stranger still, Batt passed away one Christmas and Peig followed him quietly within a fortnight. Couldn't speak to each other, yet couldn't be apart.

If there's one reason that I wish that there's a heaven it's that Peig found Batt. I bet they had a chat, too.

Don't know what made me think of them...

OP, that is incredible. Great proof of great health and loyalty.

"They were in their nineties, had been married for over sixty years and hadn't spoken for about forty of them. Not even a 'sorry there, I'll squeeze past and put the kettle on'. Nothing. They were both lovely, just had nothing left to say to each other. It was the strangest thing. "

I thought of this and came up with two reasons. One, that they are comfortable with each other, and that they don't have uncomfortable silences. Two, even if they don't talk to each other for negative reasons, they will not separate and will be together till death they do part. This is one thing the older generation had, was to make things work. They never considered divorce an option, something too easily got and accepted these days.

Poll: Do you enjoy NorthermRs presser posts, and wish to see them every week?

Login to get fewer ads

Irrelevant but still deserves a thread. on 07:28 - Sep 25 with 1331 viewsade_qpr

Irrelevant but still deserves a thread. on 19:52 - Sep 24 by barabajagal

Unfortunately Grandad's running his last message for Monty I think, Gran will outlive us all however.

Hope he proves you wrong. All the best too both of them.
Been together longer than most people live
Day later and I still find this mind blowing.

If a turtle doesn't have a shell, is he homeless or naked?

Irrelevant but still deserves a thread. on 07:48 - Sep 25 with 1325 viewsDorse

Absolutely brilliant story. There's hope for us all!

I hope they both really enjoy the day!

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Irrelevant but still deserves a thread. on 09:00 - Sep 25 with 1299 viewsTheBlob

That's quite incredible.
So together they've witnessed all sorts of achievements from crude powered flight to landings on the Moon,from hand cranked telephone to the internet,land speed record of 170 in 1926 to supersonic.....
Hope they witness many more astounding events.
[Post edited 25 Sep 2015 9:00]

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Irrelevant but still deserves a thread. on 09:06 - Sep 25 with 1289 viewsfrancisbowles

Congratulations and let's hope they get three points to be happy about as well.
Irrelevant but still deserves a thread. on 10:00 - Sep 25 with 1272 viewsSnipper

That is a brilliant story and 86 years together can't be far off unique.

Big big congrats to your gran and every one of you barabajagal.
Irrelevant but still deserves a thread. on 11:32 - Sep 25 with 1253 viewsFredManRave

Irrelevant but still deserves a thread. on 07:48 - Sep 25 by Dorse

Absolutely brilliant story. There's hope for us all!

I hope they both really enjoy the day!

I'm not sure "hope" was the look I saw on my wifes face when I said to her "Imagine if we were together for 86 years?!".
[Post edited 25 Sep 2015 12:06]

I've got the Power.

Irrelevant but still deserves a thread. on 14:27 - Sep 25 with 1222 viewsDorse

Irrelevant but still deserves a thread. on 11:32 - Sep 25 by FredManRave

I'm not sure "hope" was the look I saw on my wifes face when I said to her "Imagine if we were together for 86 years?!".
[Post edited 25 Sep 2015 12:06]

Said that to my wife. She keeps rocking and staring blankly out of the window.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Irrelevant but still deserves a thread. on 04:26 - Sep 26 with 1129 viewsFredManRave

Bump (Birthday style, all 100 of them!).

Hope you all had a great day and that you were able to stay away from the TV, vidiprinter wireless etc.

This thread is probably even more relevant after last nights performance?!

I've got the Power.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024