Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Payback 14:58 - May 28 with 1214 viewsYarman

Lets hope that in the future there is some fairness in the way taxes are going to be hiked to pay for all those furloughed on 80% of wages. How can it be right for all those workers and essential workers that have been working on as normal through lockdown, usually low paid, to be expected to pay the same towards the debt of those sat at home doing nothing. Of course l realise its more complicated than just that, and there are many other issues, but what would be fair?.
Payback on 15:02 - May 28 with 1202 viewsSadoldgit

I am one of those siting at home doing nothing. I don’t mind paying more tax but I haven’t had a bean from the government in financial support. I expect that we shall all have to share the pain, but can’t see the super rich being asked to contribute more.
Payback on 15:04 - May 28 with 1203 viewsSaintsforeverj

I don't think anybody could stomach severe austerity. It leaves one option really and that is to increase taxes, with those earning more, paying more. I can't see any other options.

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Payback on 15:10 - May 28 with 1190 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

I actually can't see any way they can raise taxes. Too many people will be struggling and they need people to spend to stimulate the economy - tax rises generally equate to more saving and less spending, a proper tightening of belts.

Yes this needs to be paid for somehow ... maybe scrap HS-bloody-2, the third runway at Heathrow and other projects that are not needed as people will be travelling less in future. That's a start.

Maybe people could take 1p on the basic rate, or maybe 1p on the higher rates, but the touted 5p will just cripple loads of people. And on the flip side, they can't also go on about thanking public sector key workers and give them a pay freeze ...

Who'd want to be in power? Seriously, thankless job, they're on a hiding to nothing whatever they do.

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

Payback on 15:15 - May 28 with 1172 viewsSadoldgit

It is a very difficult situation for the treasury. I agree that they should ditch some vanity projects, but will probably argue that HS2 will help improve the economy. Can’t see any way forward other than tax rises and public worker pay freezes.
Payback on 16:00 - May 28 with 1133 viewssaint22

Payback on 15:10 - May 28 by Gennaro_Contaldo

I actually can't see any way they can raise taxes. Too many people will be struggling and they need people to spend to stimulate the economy - tax rises generally equate to more saving and less spending, a proper tightening of belts.

Yes this needs to be paid for somehow ... maybe scrap HS-bloody-2, the third runway at Heathrow and other projects that are not needed as people will be travelling less in future. That's a start.

Maybe people could take 1p on the basic rate, or maybe 1p on the higher rates, but the touted 5p will just cripple loads of people. And on the flip side, they can't also go on about thanking public sector key workers and give them a pay freeze ...

Who'd want to be in power? Seriously, thankless job, they're on a hiding to nothing whatever they do.

I am sure I read that Cummings was against HS2, funny that Boris didnt listen to him then ffs
Payback on 16:08 - May 28 with 1126 viewsSaintsforeverj

I suppose with interest rates being so low, they can sit and wait for the economy to ignite first. Absolutely agree about HS 2. Complete unnecessary waste of money at this time, so that would be a start.

Once the economy gets stronger, they will probably look at raising taxes slightly and paying it back. I have a feeling we will be paying this off long term, rather than a quick fix. Boris knows that austerity and hard times will mean a Labour government next time. Politically, with very low interest rates, I reckon Boris will stall on paying this debt until the economy is strong again.

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Payback on 17:48 - May 28 with 1091 viewskingslandstand1

Well there seems to be plenty on here who know how to run the country, why not let them have a go?
Payback on 07:36 - May 29 with 994 viewsSadoldgit

Going off at a slight tangent, to help save many perhaps we should pay our MPs (who are public servants remember) the same as nurses and teachers. Not only would it save public money, we would get people in who did it because they really care rather than these self serving career politicians who treat the public with so much distain.
Login to get fewer ads

Payback on 08:10 - May 29 with 967 viewssaint22

Payback on 07:36 - May 29 by Sadoldgit

Going off at a slight tangent, to help save many perhaps we should pay our MPs (who are public servants remember) the same as nurses and teachers. Not only would it save public money, we would get people in who did it because they really care rather than these self serving career politicians who treat the public with so much distain.

That is a sound idea, can you imagine the reaction of IDS Gove Rees Mugg et al to it!
The whole welfare system needs overhauling that and scrapping the HS2 would save a load
Payback on 08:41 - May 29 with 951 viewsBoris_

Payback on 08:10 - May 29 by saint22

That is a sound idea, can you imagine the reaction of IDS Gove Rees Mugg et al to it!
The whole welfare system needs overhauling that and scrapping the HS2 would save a load

I guess you'll be wishing that the rich like yourself get taxed even more, won't you? Ya big fantasist.

Poll: Claude Puel

Payback on 08:53 - May 29 with 942 viewsJaySaint

There will have to some form of tax increase. There is no way we can go in/out of the greatest recession in 300 years and not put a few taxes up.

However, the PM is a bit of a liberal on that front (certainly no cameron/osborne) and I just cannot see Austerity 2.0.....just a re-arranging of the tax take, a few small in increases and savings made (and this is the big one) with bit re-organisation of the Civil Service/NHS - both of which was disgustingly inefficient. Of course, that will be met with 'USA' and 'privatisation'...which will be far from the truth

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

(No subject) (n/t) on 13:50 - May 29 with 923 viewsOccasional_Showers

Public sector pay freezes on their own sadly wont be enough, so additional cuts will have to be found.
[Post edited 29 May 2020 13:52]

Poll: Did you break any lockdown rules?

Payback on 14:04 - May 29 with 909 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

Payback on 08:53 - May 29 by JaySaint

There will have to some form of tax increase. There is no way we can go in/out of the greatest recession in 300 years and not put a few taxes up.

However, the PM is a bit of a liberal on that front (certainly no cameron/osborne) and I just cannot see Austerity 2.0.....just a re-arranging of the tax take, a few small in increases and savings made (and this is the big one) with bit re-organisation of the Civil Service/NHS - both of which was disgustingly inefficient. Of course, that will be met with 'USA' and 'privatisation'...which will be far from the truth

The recession that never was ;) If you believe the news today, the country is already spending its way back out of it with more spending than anyone anticipated. I'm not shocked - what else is there to other than buy stuff online that's all I've done!

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

(No subject) (n/t) on 14:20 - May 29 with 903 viewsSadoldgit

(No subject) (n/t) on 13:50 - May 29 by Occasional_Showers

Public sector pay freezes on their own sadly wont be enough, so additional cuts will have to be found.
[Post edited 29 May 2020 13:52]

There’s nothing sad about that Dune. The public sector have been screwed for the last 10 years. Why should they be the ones to get us out of the economic sh*t. If we are all in this together we all need to share the burden, including the super rich.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024