Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
handball? 13:58 - Feb 14 with 2247 viewsBettwsresident

Matty Cash's save - No
Bertrand - Yes

WTF!

We were brilliant for large parts of that game. What do we have to do to get a result!
[Post edited 14 Feb 2021 13:59]
handball? on 14:33 - Feb 14 with 2154 viewsSaintsforeverj

The rule states that if you move any part of your arm towards the ball, it's a penalty. Accidentally or not, both players moved their arm away from their body, so both were penalties. Either that or you don't give either. To give one and not the other is a disgrace. It's not fair rules for both sides.

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

handball? on 14:44 - Feb 14 with 2116 viewssaint22

handball? on 14:33 - Feb 14 by Saintsforeverj

The rule states that if you move any part of your arm towards the ball, it's a penalty. Accidentally or not, both players moved their arm away from their body, so both were penalties. Either that or you don't give either. To give one and not the other is a disgrace. It's not fair rules for both sides.

And why is the VAR not alerting the ref to his clear and obvious error of missing that?
handball? on 14:50 - Feb 14 with 2094 views1885_SFC

It's probably a case of all ref's (and especially VAR officials) closing ranks behind one of their own in the form of Mike Dean.

Old School is Cool

handball? on 14:51 - Feb 14 with 2085 viewsSaintsforeverj

handball? on 14:44 - Feb 14 by saint22

And why is the VAR not alerting the ref to his clear and obvious error of missing that?

Is it because the ref blew his whistle and gave the Wolves penalty, so they didn't want to over turn his decision? Our penalty, the ref didn't give it, so again VAR didn't want to over rule. But it's all one big mess. Not sure the problem is VAR though. If VAR wasn't here today, the ref still would have given theirs but not ours. They don't seem to know the rules or different officials have different interpretations.
[Post edited 14 Feb 2021 14:52]

handball? on 14:54 - Feb 14 with 2066 viewsForeverred

I agree it seems the official are against us at the moment, if Bertie handball was a penalty then wolves hand ball was also. It seems the referees make it up as they go along. Cash for Aston Villa a blatant handball as you can get, and if he was standing on the goal line it would have been given. Bertie is facing away from the ball, it hits his left arm and the referee given a penalty , absolutely ridiculous decision. I am afraid Scott is another referee who is not up too the standards required for this level, the penalty change the game, and Neto should never have scored from that position.
I believe McCarthy should have save it , he should have tried to narrow the angle, poor keeping he had very little to do but we still we lose. Again we are reflecting on a game we didn’t deserve to lose, But the officials again have a big influence on the result.
handball? on 14:54 - Feb 14 with 2065 viewssaint22

handball? on 14:51 - Feb 14 by Saintsforeverj

Is it because the ref blew his whistle and gave the Wolves penalty, so they didn't want to over turn his decision? Our penalty, the ref didn't give it, so again VAR didn't want to over rule. But it's all one big mess. Not sure the problem is VAR though. If VAR wasn't here today, the ref still would have given theirs but not ours. They don't seem to know the rules or different officials have different interpretations.

Understood but the VAR should say you missed that you gave the other we are over ruling you

That said I think the level of officiating is the problem both on the field and VAR
handball? on 15:01 - Feb 14 with 2037 viewsSaintsforeverj

handball? on 14:54 - Feb 14 by saint22

Understood but the VAR should say you missed that you gave the other we are over ruling you

That said I think the level of officiating is the problem both on the field and VAR

The point is probably what is the point of having VAR if they don't over turn decisions. We might as well not have it and I am coming to the view that we should get rid of it.

handball? on 15:04 - Feb 14 with 2022 viewsSadoldgit

handball? on 14:54 - Feb 14 by saint22

Yep, VAR was supposed to do away with human error but we still have human error. The ball hit an arm away from the body on two occasions today. If one was a penalty then so was the other. The problem is that the rules are wrong in this case as neither handball was deliberate.
Login to get fewer ads

handball? on 15:07 - Feb 14 with 2014 viewskingslandstand1

handball? on 14:51 - Feb 14 by Saintsforeverj

"Not wanting to over rule the ref"

I'm afraid you may as well scrap VAR altogether then. The whole pointy is to over rule him if he has made a clear error which he did. As to which one was the error is another story as they were both essentially the same incident. Accidental handball, so either 2 pens or none
handball? on 15:11 - Feb 14 with 2004 viewsSaintsforeverj

handball? on 15:07 - Feb 14 by kingslandstand1

I'm afraid you may as well scrap VAR altogether then. The whole pointy is to over rule him if he has made a clear error which he did. As to which one was the error is another story as they were both essentially the same incident. Accidental handball, so either 2 pens or none

Exactly. There is no point to VAR. The ref rarely goes to the monitor, decisions are rarely over turned so yeah there isn't any point having it.

handball? on 15:14 - Feb 14 with 1996 viewsHeisenberg

Just watching the rugby. An intelligent ref explaining his decisions and prepared to have fans listen to the discussion with the video refs. Why not in football ?

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously'
Poll: Who should get a statue outside the old girl ?

handball? on 15:24 - Feb 14 with 1977 views1885_SFC

handball? on 15:14 - Feb 14 by Heisenberg

Just watching the rugby. An intelligent ref explaining his decisions and prepared to have fans listen to the discussion with the video refs. Why not in football ?

The wide excuse I keep hearing is because it "takes too long" or "It holds the game up".

Well correct me if I'm wrong - but the vast majority of VAR decisions this season have taken an age to decide the outcome - even basic/easy ones where a player is offside, etc.

VAR is crap and it needs to be binned ASAP. Come back when it's identical to rugby's version.

Old School is Cool

handball? on 15:31 - Feb 14 with 1951 viewsDorsetIan

handball? on 15:07 - Feb 14 by kingslandstand1

The ironic thing is that the rules have become less understandable as they've tinkered with them in response to bizarre VAR decisions.

Now the rules, the VAR and the officials are all stupid!

To be honest, I'm not that bothered about the Bertrand pen. It was harsh certainly but his hand was up by his face and it was the ref who gave it, not the video game guy.

And what was Semedo doing in such a great position anyway? Mainly down to a run by Traore that bypassed our midfield if I remember rightly.

Second goal, as we pissed about passing the ball around between defenders I said to my sons: 'we're going to concede here if we're not careful''...

So many of these goals are handed to the opposition on a plate.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

handball? on 16:45 - Feb 14 with 1843 viewsSadoldgit

Back in the good old days handball was supposed to be given if it was deliberate. Hand to ball not ball to hand. If Bertrands was a penalty then so was the one up the other end. 2-2 probably would have been a fair result given that we were on top in the first half and Wolves in the second half. It really doesn’t matter where your hand is if the ball is blasted at you from two yards and you have your back to it. There is absolutely no way that was a deliberate attempt to handle the ball and that should be the determining factor. In fact the ball knocked his hand away from his body and made it looks worse than it was. Not that it looked bad in the first place.
handball? on 16:56 - Feb 14 with 1822 viewsDorsetIan

handball? on 16:45 - Feb 14 by Sadoldgit

Back in the good old days handball was supposed to be given if it was deliberate. Hand to ball not ball to hand. If Bertrands was a penalty then so was the one up the other end. 2-2 probably would have been a fair result given that we were on top in the first half and Wolves in the second half. It really doesn’t matter where your hand is if the ball is blasted at you from two yards and you have your back to it. There is absolutely no way that was a deliberate attempt to handle the ball and that should be the determining factor. In fact the ball knocked his hand away from his body and made it looks worse than it was. Not that it looked bad in the first place.

I don't disagree and, yes, the complete lack of consistency is the most galling thing. But as I understand it now, 'deliberately' doesn't always enter into it.

And all I know, and I've known this for a very long time now, is that overall VAR has slowed everything down, taken away a lot of the enjoyment and, taking its impact as a whole, hasn't improved the overall level of decision making one jot.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

handball? on 17:01 - Feb 14 with 1816 viewskingolaf

The volume of decisions going against us has me seriously thinking that something is bent in the game.
handball? on 18:21 - Feb 14 with 1749 viewscocklebreath

handball? on 17:01 - Feb 14 by kingolaf

The volume of decisions going against us has me seriously thinking that something is bent in the game.

I make it 6 bad decisions in last 4 games. 2 v Villa, Man U and today.

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

handball? on 18:50 - Feb 14 with 1719 viewsSadoldgit

handball? on 17:01 - Feb 14 by kingolaf

We benefitted from VAR a lot when it first came in with many decisions going our way. I don’t think it is bent. I think people are making very poor and inconsistent decisions.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024