Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wrexham v Blackburn 20:30 - Jan 29 with 1100 viewsBlue4U2

Szmodics at the double after Wrexham scored first
Sammie is a complete star
Surely he would have been in the U's youth team when Parky was with us
Also Elliot Lee & Ben Tozer in the Wrexham side

Up the old U's !
[Post edited 30 Jan 12:10]
Wrexham v Blackburn on 21:06 - Jan 29 with 1075 viewsdurham_exile

19 years ago we were at Ewood Park FA Cup 4th Round.

Notable for the dodgy pitch which cost us a goal and probably the match.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Wrexham v Blackburn on 09:41 - Jan 30 with 1006 viewsBlue4U2

Wrexham v Blackburn on 21:06 - Jan 29 by durham_exile

Up the U's

T remember it well!
Who could forget the look on Aidan Davidson's face...

The pitch has quite steep banking from the advertising hoardings up to the pitch, should have suited the Ben Tozer long throw, but I don't he had many chances.

Szmodics is still a quality player... if he ever needs a loan spell I'd definitely have him back!!! Blackburn are closer to the relegation spaces than the play-offs at the mo
Wrexham v Blackburn on 10:04 - Jan 30 with 1002 viewswessex_exile

Wrexham v Blackburn on 21:06 - Jan 29 by durham_exile

Up the U's

47 years ago we were at Ewood Park for the League Cup 1st Round.

Notable for the most outrageously offside goal I think I've ever seen, and not just the goal-scorer - but Garwood got the equaliser we deserved...and as for the Layer Road replay - what a night!

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Wrexham v Blackburn on 12:57 - Jan 30 with 975 viewsdurham_exile

Wrexham v Blackburn on 10:04 - Jan 30 by wessex_exile

47 years ago we were at Ewood Park for the League Cup 1st Round.

Notable for the most outrageously offside goal I think I've ever seen, and not just the goal-scorer - but Garwood got the equaliser we deserved...and as for the Layer Road replay - what a night!

Wessex if that was the 4-0 game then I was there at Layer Road.
And for some reason I think John Homewood refereed the game.
Happy days.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Wrexham v Blackburn on 13:34 - Jan 30 with 967 viewsmfb_cufc

Correct, durham, and wessex it was the 2nd Round. Interesting to see the great Bobby Svarc was playing for Blackburn that night.

https://www.coludata.co.uk/results/19770907-blackburn-rovers?fsea=38&fdfaSho

mfb

Wrexham v Blackburn on 14:03 - Jan 30 with 955 viewsTheOldOakTree

Wrexham v Blackburn on 13:34 - Jan 30 by mfb_cufc

Correct, durham, and wessex it was the 2nd Round. Interesting to see the great Bobby Svarc was playing for Blackburn that night.

Presumably Svarc followed the late great Bald Eagle to Blackburn?
Wrexham v Blackburn on 15:02 - Jan 30 with 947 viewsMoor_Pinot

Wrexham v Blackburn on 14:03 - Jan 30 by TheOldOakTree

Presumably Svarc followed the late great Bald Eagle to Blackburn?

I think he did TooT - excellent nuisance player Svarc. I liked him, he and Froggatt were the sort of partnership (Cureton and Iwelumo) I've dreamt of these last fifteen years!
Incidentally TooT have just uncorked a nice Irancy, I know you won't approve but next week I've an even better Reuilly (provided we beat FGR) . Would that do you!?

Szmodics was only reasonably managed by the U's,we could have had more from him, although he'd have obviously left sooner, and Blackburn are reaping the benefits.
He's not premiership quality but at, what is he 28? , he's a fine championship player for a while yet. If the Cowleys could prise him back in a couple of seasons he could be a proper Duguid/Cureton/Gregory/Watson for us and a component part of a League one side!
I'm dreaming again.

Splendid player Svarc.

Up the old new and ex U's

Moor Pinot

Wrexham v Blackburn on 16:27 - Jan 30 with 938 viewsTheOldOakTree

Wrexham v Blackburn on 15:02 - Jan 30 by Moor_Pinot

I think he did TooT - excellent nuisance player Svarc. I liked him, he and Froggatt were the sort of partnership (Cureton and Iwelumo) I've dreamt of these last fifteen years!
Incidentally TooT have just uncorked a nice Irancy, I know you won't approve but next week I've an even better Reuilly (provided we beat FGR) . Would that do you!?

Szmodics was only reasonably managed by the U's,we could have had more from him, although he'd have obviously left sooner, and Blackburn are reaping the benefits.
He's not premiership quality but at, what is he 28? , he's a fine championship player for a while yet. If the Cowleys could prise him back in a couple of seasons he could be a proper Duguid/Cureton/Gregory/Watson for us and a component part of a League one side!
I'm dreaming again.

Splendid player Svarc.

Up the old new and ex U's

I’m scarred by the Irancy house wines in Auxerre restaurants, so I’ll give that a miss.

I’m currently ‘dry for January’ (only two more evenings to go! ). That’s not to give my liver a rest, but in the hope I would lose a few pounds. Sadly, it’s had the opposite effect as I’ve had the munchies all month, so I’ll not be doing that again!

A glass of Reuilly would be most acceptable, but moving a little downstream, there’s a bottle of Chinon that keeps winking at me from the wine rack (slides down very nicely at a little over £5 a bottle from Super U). I doubt it will live to see Friday.

The Layer Road game was well before I became a regular, but I was there 19 years ago to see Aidan’s bobbly disaster. From memory it was early in the game and I remember going from pumped to totally deflated in about 30 seconds.

We were down near the corner flag, close up to Robbie Savage taking the corners, and I remember him being quite taken back by the volume and ferocity of the Barside Barmy Army giving him some stick. Sadly, it didn’t work that day!
Login to get fewer ads

Wrexham v Blackburn on 17:10 - Jan 30 with 923 viewsbwildered

A dominant display by the U’s that evening, having the majority of possession.
Svarc was marked out the game, and with a return of Jim Smith added extra spice to the encounter.
The U’s replacement for Svarc scored, Bobby Gough, not much bigger but just has impressive scoring in the box. Could also take a lethal direct free kick which dipped over the wall viciously goal bound.
Bobby Roberts probably was one of the best U’s managers in signing players during his time .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Wrexham v Blackburn on 17:30 - Jan 30 with 918 viewsMoor_Pinot

Wrexham v Blackburn on 16:27 - Jan 30 by TheOldOakTree

I’m scarred by the Irancy house wines in Auxerre restaurants, so I’ll give that a miss.

I’m currently ‘dry for January’ (only two more evenings to go! ). That’s not to give my liver a rest, but in the hope I would lose a few pounds. Sadly, it’s had the opposite effect as I’ve had the munchies all month, so I’ll not be doing that again!

A glass of Reuilly would be most acceptable, but moving a little downstream, there’s a bottle of Chinon that keeps winking at me from the wine rack (slides down very nicely at a little over £5 a bottle from Super U). I doubt it will live to see Friday.

The Layer Road game was well before I became a regular, but I was there 19 years ago to see Aidan’s bobbly disaster. From memory it was early in the game and I remember going from pumped to totally deflated in about 30 seconds.

We were down near the corner flag, close up to Robbie Savage taking the corners, and I remember him being quite taken back by the volume and ferocity of the Barside Barmy Army giving him some stick. Sadly, it didn’t work that day!

I can imagine Savage struggling with the reality of Layer Road TooT, way wide of his week by week experiences. Layer Road did that to lots of players not just the so called stars! It really could be very intimidating, especially after more and more antiseptic 'new' stadia were being constructed at lower league level! I've always reckoned that the Jobserve would do a better job as twelfth man once the corners were inbuilt!

Ah, yes, the vins de Chinon. Well chosen indeed. Even the french are only just bigging up the reds in that appellation! I can't imagine your leaving that on the rack TooT. HyperU 'selected' were always worth a try and that was how I found Reuilly and its white friend Quincy. Then the trick was to visit the farmers and get it direct.
Damn difficult to replicate that now on Bodmin Moor!!!

Up the U's. Bottoms up.... gently.

Moor Pinot

Wrexham v Blackburn on 11:06 - Jan 31 with 864 viewsdurham_exile

Wrexham v Blackburn on 13:34 - Jan 30 by mfb_cufc

Thanks Mick, have just read the link. Absolutely superb.

In those days I stood at the Layer Road end, on the boards.

It was a great night.

DC is bringing the good times back.
Up the U's

Durham_exile

Wrexham v Blackburn on 11:48 - Jan 31 with 853 viewsTropical_Us

Wrexham v Blackburn on 16:27 - Jan 30 by TheOldOakTree

Oddly enough Irancy is my dad's favourite wine - my family are very familiar with Auxerre as my Mum lived there in the 1950s. We were back there in the summer for a few days and a very nice trip it was too.
Wrexham v Blackburn on 13:07 - Jan 31 with 827 viewsMoor_Pinot

Wrexham v Blackburn on 11:48 - Jan 31 by Tropical_Us

Oddly enough Irancy is my dad's favourite wine - my family are very familiar with Auxerre as my Mum lived there in the 1950s. We were back there in the summer for a few days and a very nice trip it was too.

Tis a cracking town - used to have a Premier league team managed by the world's longest serving manager didn't it!
A good Irancy from a good year can really lovely - although TooT is right, some less scrupulous places sell from the lesser growers/vignerons.

If you buy from Colinot, M. Ferrari or the Cantin family you'll be okay.
I can only find it infrequently in England and it's not as it should be so as I said to TooT I buy Reuilly now. A more delicate pinot but very good from the right farm.

I can imagine your trip was a joy and quite poignant Tropical. I hope you get to go again. I aim to, though it's not like living there, but Brexit has made it all more tricky for an oldun to contemplate.
I'll do it.

First off I need to celebrate staying in the league. That's down to the Cowleys!!

Moor Pinot

Wrexham v Blackburn on 13:17 - Jan 31 with 826 viewsTheOldOakTree

Wrexham v Blackburn on 11:48 - Jan 31 by Tropical_Us

I nearly settled in Auxerre, but it’s way too cold in winter. I was there a few years ago when their League 2 football team made it to the French Cup Final. The town was buzzing, but sadly they lost to Paris Saint Germain. Many years ago they played in the Champions League, I think Arsenal played them?

For the fit and adventurous, I can recommend a boating holiday on the Canal du Nivernais (starts at Auxerre). The locks are all manned or automatic, so you don’t have to work too hard!

The nearby famous Chablis Sunday market is worth a quick visit. As is the town of Troyes (pronounced Twah) and obviously the Champagne region around Reims, both of which are on route to Auxerre from Calais.

Sadly, no amount of wine can compensate for a lack of Adnams though, even if you can watch ifollow on a Saturday!

Allez les U’s
Wrexham v Blackburn on 13:48 - Jan 31 with 815 viewsMoor_Pinot

Wrexham v Blackburn on 13:17 - Jan 31 by TheOldOakTree

I nearly settled in Auxerre, but it’s way too cold in winter. I was there a few years ago when their League 2 football team made it to the French Cup Final. The town was buzzing, but sadly they lost to Paris Saint Germain. Many years ago they played in the Champions League, I think Arsenal played them?

For the fit and adventurous, I can recommend a boating holiday on the Canal du Nivernais (starts at Auxerre). The locks are all manned or automatic, so you don’t have to work too hard!

The nearby famous Chablis Sunday market is worth a quick visit. As is the town of Troyes (pronounced Twah) and obviously the Champagne region around Reims, both of which are on route to Auxerre from Calais.

Sadly, no amount of wine can compensate for a lack of Adnams though, even if you can watch ifollow on a Saturday!

Allez les U’s

Bravo TooT!
Absolutely!
Like wine but all the time I lived in France it was real proper English ale that I really wanted!
And you've unpacked that lovely part of NW Burgundy so well - yes far too cold in winter. Trouble was I ended up in the Creuse which was colder before I saw sense with the Vendée - now that's a climate I do miss! Intriguing wine there too.....but very little beer!!

Allez encore.

Moor Pinot

Wrexham v Blackburn on 14:24 - Jan 31 with 809 viewsTropical_Us

And there was me thinking no-one else was familiar with the place!

We went on the canal trip back in the 80s but this time I took my bike and cruised up and down the towpaths in the August heat.

Some of my Mum's ashes are scattered in a pot plant in what used to be the Cafe du Centre (it's now a Moroccan restaurant) where she spent her spare time. The current owners reckoned the plant had been there for decades.
Wrexham v Blackburn on 16:09 - Jan 31 with 794 viewsTheOldOakTree

Wrexham v Blackburn on 14:24 - Jan 31 by Tropical_Us

And there was me thinking no-one else was familiar with the place!

We went on the canal trip back in the 80s but this time I took my bike and cruised up and down the towpaths in the August heat.

Some of my Mum's ashes are scattered in a pot plant in what used to be the Cafe du Centre (it's now a Moroccan restaurant) where she spent her spare time. The current owners reckoned the plant had been there for decades.

It can be a very small world sometimes. I lived there on and off for about 5 years, until Brexit forced us to make the move permanent and we headed further south for a more favourable climate.

The thought of having some of my ashes spread there would give me a warm fuzzy feeling, it’s a nice touch.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024