Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Baffled 11:35 - Oct 28 with 3531 viewsdaveB

have to say I find some of the posts on here incredible. Have we really forgotten where we came from, the idea of going to Arsenal two years in a row and pushing them very close would have been a pipe dream 2/3 years ago, now thats seen as not good enough.

We played a top 4 side yesterday, matched them for most of the game, got into some great positions playing some very good football but the final ball let us down. Hoiletts goal looked onside to me but not seen it on tv yet.

I fancied us to nick it 1-0 until the sending off which gacve them a massi ve boost when they seemed to have run out of ideas. I'd fine Mbia heavily for that, was brainless and he let everyone down after a good performance. The Arsenal goal was offside and we still had chances to win or draw after that.

Great save at the end from Granero and not sure how Mackie didn't put that one in at the end, all in all against a top four side that was a prety good away performance, could have been better but certainly not as bad as many are making out. We defended well, created chances and did all you can hope for in these kind of games. Lets see where we are at the end of November before screaming for people to be sacked.

Cesar was a different class again, made two world class saves, Granero played well, Diakite looked solid and Traore had another promising game, it's not all bad thats for sure. I've seen far worse than this over the years.
Baffled on 11:38 - Oct 28 with 2821 viewsTheBlob

We're bottom of the league Dave......

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Baffled on 11:39 - Oct 28 with 2812 viewsW10hoop

Great post. I agree 100%. I personally think we will get something out I'd reading and saints at home and look good to go to stoke and bring something back. I understand the doom and gloom but still think we have a good side and a talented manager that will eventually come good.
Baffled on 11:40 - Oct 28 with 2805 viewsdaveB

Baffled on 11:38 - Oct 28 by TheBlob

We're bottom of the league Dave......

so you honestly expected us to go to Arsenal and win yesterday, incredible really. I know we are bottom but the last two performances have been pretty encouraging. I think we'll comfortbaly finish around 14th this season
Baffled on 11:43 - Oct 28 with 2792 viewsessextaxiboy

Baffled on 11:40 - Oct 28 by daveB

so you honestly expected us to go to Arsenal and win yesterday, incredible really. I know we are bottom but the last two performances have been pretty encouraging. I think we'll comfortbaly finish around 14th this season

The posts are a reflection of the season as a whole , not yesterdays performance.
Baffled on 11:43 - Oct 28 with 2788 viewsTheBlob

Baffled on 11:40 - Oct 28 by daveB

We've got 3 points Dave......

Baffled on 11:44 - Oct 28 with 2783 viewsaves

Were it not for our incapability of winning games and snatching defeats from the jaws of victory I would heartily agree with your statement. Instead, we're being labelled as a shite team and the vultures are out already for the likes of Granero and Cesar.

Not forgetting the politician's statement that Hughes made after the final whistle of the City game regarding never being in this situation again as long as he's here.

The posts appear to be quite credible in my mind.
Baffled on 11:44 - Oct 28 with 2776 viewslondonscottish

Thankyou for calming me down with a reasoned analysis.

I broadly agree with you and i think that's why I feel so frustrated by Mbia. I emailed a mate with the thoughts I was enjoying for the first 85 minutes of that game;

Settled back four - tick
Injury crisis over - tick
Strong midfield - tick
Dangerous attack - tick (certainly had the Aresenal fans worried)
Away point in the bag - tick
Clean Sheet - tick
Reading and Southampton worried - tick

Sigh. If we have a crap back four against Reading/Soton and start leaking early goals I'll be well f*cked off.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Baffled on 11:45 - Oct 28 with 2769 viewsWatfordR

Yep agree.

FWIW, I think much of our current malaise is down to a woefully inadequate preseason, which should all have been focussed on 4-6 points at all costs from Swansea and Norwich, given the tough fixtures coming up thereafter. The fact that Everton and West Brom also hit the ground running have meant just about as tough a start as we could have drawn.
Login to get fewer ads

Baffled on 11:47 - Oct 28 with 2757 viewsClive_Anderson

1) People are upset about the season as a whole not just one game.
2) Some of Hughes' decisions seem odd to say the least making you feel like we've thrown points away rather than just not been good enough which is incredibly frustrating.
3) Expectations have been raised by the once in a lifetime amount of money that has been spent by the board and we find ourselves in an even worse position than the start of last season when we didn't have a pot to piss in. Not only that but if it doesn't turn around we could be screwed for at least another 15 years financially.
Baffled on 11:47 - Oct 28 with 2756 viewsWatfordR

Baffled on 11:44 - Oct 28 by londonscottish

I broadly agree with you and i think that's why I feel so frustrated by Mbia. I emailed a mate with the thoughts I was enjoying for the first 85 minutes of that game;

Settled back four - tick
Strong midfield - tick
Clean Sheet - tick

Sigh. If we have a crap back four against Reading/Soton and start leaking early goals I'll be well f*cked off.

Would say my stepson, who's a rabid Gooner, came over last night and said he thought we were the better team and deserved to win.
Baffled on 11:47 - Oct 28 with 2757 viewsTheBlob

Settled back four - tick
Strong midfield - tick
Clean Sheet - tick

A settled back four doesn't mean a competent back four.

Baffled on 11:49 - Oct 28 with 2742 viewsessextaxiboy

Baffled on 11:47 - Oct 28 by WatfordR

Would say my stepson, who's a rabid Gooner, came over last night and said he thought we were the better team and deserved to win.

Thats just it , against the top sides we are the better team and dont win.

Against the other teams we are poor and dont win .
Baffled on 11:54 - Oct 28 with 2720 viewsCHUBBS

Baffled on 11:47 - Oct 28 by WatfordR

I think he was probably being polite as we only had 1 attempt for the 1st 88 minutes and 30% possession.The way the game panned out was so predictable yet we just sat back and waited for the inevitable.
The most frustrating part was that we tore their poor defence to shreds when we actually went for it in the last 5 minutes.To little to late once again from MH.
Baffled on 11:54 - Oct 28 with 2719 viewsQPRBrian

I agree with you Dave the only caveat though is that this is a different club to the one three years+ ago so the levels of expectations have changed. Of course it'll always be QPR but in general fans have been swept along with all the transfer spending and dazzled by the bright lights of the Premier League so are either unwilling or unable to put things into context. It's about the here and now not the bigger picture. I think we are all simply frustrated that we are not doing as well as we should be given the players that we have and no one can quite put their finger on why that is. I'm no fan of Hughes but like many others I say give it until early December v Villa and if results have not markedly improved I think we have to replace him to stay up. My absolute preference would be for the results to improve with Hughes as we just don't need the instability that such a change brings but that is obviously preferable to being relegated.

One final thing though, despite a lot of negativity on this board, I think the crowd have been very patient at games. We are bottom, making silly mistakes and yet to win this season yet no anti-Hughes chants, that reflects that the majority of fans are understanding and appreciative of where we've come from.
Baffled on 11:56 - Oct 28 with 2700 viewsWatfordR

Baffled on 11:47 - Oct 28 by Clive_Anderson

1) People are upset about the season as a whole not just one game.
2) Some of Hughes' decisions seem odd to say the least making you feel like we've thrown points away rather than just not been good enough which is incredibly frustrating.
3) Expectations have been raised by the once in a lifetime amount of money that has been spent by the board and we find ourselves in an even worse position than the start of last season when we didn't have a pot to piss in. Not only that but if it doesn't turn around we could be screwed for at least another 15 years financially.

Re point 2. I did see the Everton game, and that didnt look like a performance from a team who were not playing for their manager. Whist decisions might seem odd to outsiders, they might be seen differently by the squad.

For example, the subbing of Toure and Nelsen whilst up against 10 men drew lots of criticism, but if that was part of a pre agreed plan, what happens if as a manager you go back on that? Do your players lose faith in you? If you take defenders off, throw attackers on and end up being done on the break, what's the criticism going to be like then?

I will say this though. I said before, the key to success in the Prem is winning games, and although that seems blatantly obvious, what I mean is, getting three points in one game has to involve far less work than getting one point from each of three games. So to my mind, its worth being more aggressive to run the risk of winning one game in three, even if you lose the other two, than try to ensure you dont lose all three games. If that makes sense.
Baffled on 11:58 - Oct 28 with 2687 viewsdaveB

I still say wait until the end of November, if we haven't got points out of Reading, Stoke, Sunderland and Southampton then yes sack the fella and move on but whilst the team are clearly playing for the manager and only lost the game due to an offisde and a stupid sending off I'm not sure the reaction should be as mental as this. We played pretty well yesterday, could have been better but some of the comments on how bad we were yesterday are laughable.
Baffled on 12:00 - Oct 28 with 2674 viewsTW_R

Settled back four - tick
Strong midfield - tick
Clean Sheet - tick

Bad at defending set pieces - tick
Bad at taking set pieces - tick
Bad at holding onto the ball - tick
Bad at scoring goals - tick
Bad at creating chances - tick
Settled back 4 for 2 games - tick (M'Bia out for 3 games)
Reading scoring 3 goals yesterday - tick
Reading already beat us at home ths season - tick

I can't see why Reading or Southampton would be worried.
Baffled on 12:01 - Oct 28 with 2665 viewsClive_Anderson

Baffled on 11:56 - Oct 28 by WatfordR

Re point 2. I did see the Everton game, and that didnt look like a performance from a team who were not playing for their manager. Whist decisions might seem odd to outsiders, they might be seen differently by the squad.

For example, the subbing of Toure and Nelsen whilst up against 10 men drew lots of criticism, but if that was part of a pre agreed plan, what happens if as a manager you go back on that? Do your players lose faith in you? If you take defenders off, throw attackers on and end up being done on the break, what's the criticism going to be like then?

I will say this though. I said before, the key to success in the Prem is winning games, and although that seems blatantly obvious, what I mean is, getting three points in one game has to involve far less work than getting one point from each of three games. So to my mind, its worth being more aggressive to run the risk of winning one game in three, even if you lose the other two, than try to ensure you dont lose all three games. If that makes sense.

Actually those subs made a fair bit of sense to me.

It's more the initial team selections, Hoilett does really well then gets dropped, Tarbs not featuring for ages and other players getting picked come hell or high water depite some of the worst performances I've ever seen. DJ and Young not in the squad (although Young might be injured I dunno).

At least his signings have been pretty good I guess.
Baffled on 12:01 - Oct 28 with 2659 viewsQPRBrian

I would rather Faurlin over SWP but aside from that my only criticism of yesterdays performance was that Taarabt was not far enough forward. Another 10-15yards up playing directly off Zamora and Hoilett would of caused them far more problems. Otherwise, what more do you want? Certainly no lack of effort.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
Baffled on 12:06 - Oct 28 with 2636 viewsClive_Anderson

Baffled on 12:01 - Oct 28 by QPRBrian

I would rather Faurlin over SWP but aside from that my only criticism of yesterdays performance was that Taarabt was not far enough forward. Another 10-15yards up playing directly off Zamora and Hoilett would of caused them far more problems. Otherwise, what more do you want? Certainly no lack of effort.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

SWP looks like his confidence has gone completely. He keeps messing it up and needs a break from the first team at the very least. And yet he's the first name on the team sheet seemingly. When Mackie came on and we decided to actually try and attack we looked so much better even though we just had 10 men.

Faurlin has played really well this season and then gets dropped. I really don't get it.

I've normally don't criticse a manager for team selection too much as most of the time it's just hindsight after things went wrong. But with Hughes certain things are completely obviously a problem before the game even starts.
Baffled on 12:06 - Oct 28 with 2632 viewsTacticalR

Of course we have no god-given right to win at Arsenal. A lot of people didn't expect a win at Arsenal.

What's troubling is not that people think we should have won, or even that Hughes should go, but the repetitive, unoriginal, almost autistic hysteria of certain posters.

Air hostess clique

Baffled on 12:41 - Oct 28 with 2566 viewsSomersetHoops

There just aren't enough crap teams in the PL for us to beat now so when Arsenal are there for the taking we have to take them. Lets not forget Norwich beat them by being adventurous and taking the game to them and if we are accepting we are worse than Norwich we are accepting relegation.

The stats tell us that we went there not to lose instead of going to win so that strategy failed again as it has in most games we've played this season and every away game since Hughes has been in charge. The only reason we are able to compete with Arsenal is because of the money put in by the owners and we are rock bottom of the PL due to mismanagement of those resources by Mark Hughes.

Who's Next?

Baffled on 12:42 - Oct 28 with 2565 viewsTheBlob

Baffled on 12:06 - Oct 28 by TacticalR

Of course we have no god-given right to win at Arsenal. A lot of people didn't expect a win at Arsenal.

What's troubling is not that people think we should have won, or even that Hughes should go, but the repetitive, unoriginal, almost autistic hysteria of certain posters.

I would have thought that maybe they were a response to the repetitive,unoriginal,almost hysterical tactics.

Baffled on 12:59 - Oct 28 with 2525 viewsAntti_Heinola

With you on this one dave. Too much negativity here. We were unfortunate to lose. Had we held on for a 0-0, I wonder what the reaction would have been? People complaining we weren't attacking enough, or grateful for the point and a solid display? I suspect the latter, which kind of puts all those 'we're talking about the whole season' cries into perspective.

Bare bones.

Baffled on 13:25 - Oct 28 with 2466 viewsessextaxiboy

Baffled on 12:59 - Oct 28 by Antti_Heinola

With you on this one dave. Too much negativity here. We were unfortunate to lose. Had we held on for a 0-0, I wonder what the reaction would have been? People complaining we weren't attacking enough, or grateful for the point and a solid display? I suspect the latter, which kind of puts all those 'we're talking about the whole season' cries into perspective.

I dont agree. If we had drawn or won yesterday the Reading game would still be make or break for Hughes .If you want to survive you have to win your home games against the teams around you .
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024