Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Female boxing 09:45 - Sep 3 with 1161 viewsSadoldgit

I’m not a fan of boxing anyway as it seems pretty clear that constant battering of the skull is not healthy, but female boxing just seems so wrong. Just read that an 18 year old girl, Jeanette Zacarias Zapata has died after being knocked out in the ring. If there concerns about heading a football, surely it is time that boxing was looked at again. Even head guards don’t protect against the constant battering the brain gets.
Female boxing on 09:59 - Sep 3 with 1136 viewsChesham_Saint

I tend to agree with you on this one Sogs, but I believe that research shows that headguards (indeed the gloves as well) actually exacerbate the problem…

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Female boxing on 10:40 - Sep 3 with 1104 viewssaints__fan__73

Either you think boxing should be banned or you think that the participants are able to make the decision if they want to compete in the sport themselves and it should be allowed.

I can't see how it makes any difference if it's men or women doing it. Unless you have very antiquated views on life.....

Boxing takes a lot of people from disadvantaged backgrounds and gives them something to keep them on the straight and narrow.

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Female boxing on 11:03 - Sep 3 with 1092 viewsChesham_Saint

Female boxing on 10:40 - Sep 3 by saints__fan__73

Either you think boxing should be banned or you think that the participants are able to make the decision if they want to compete in the sport themselves and it should be allowed.

I can't see how it makes any difference if it's men or women doing it. Unless you have very antiquated views on life.....

Boxing takes a lot of people from disadvantaged backgrounds and gives them something to keep them on the straight and narrow.

Good points ‘73. I don’t want to see it banned, just wondering if there is a realistic way to make it safer?

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Female boxing on 11:24 - Sep 3 with 1079 viewspjt50

Female boxing on 11:03 - Sep 3 by Chesham_Saint

Good points ‘73. I don’t want to see it banned, just wondering if there is a realistic way to make it safer?

Make it illegal to land a blow below the waist or above the neck? Seems weird that at the same time that football is restricting heading we're encouraging a sport where long-term damage is far more probable. Tbh I don't think it makes much difference whether it's men or women. Personally I'd ban both.

As someone who grew up watching Ali, it was desperately sad to see the way he ended up — even though he always said he'd do the same again.

Poll: Where do you hope to see Salisu start (OK, I know we haven't seen him yet)?

Female boxing on 11:31 - Sep 3 with 1066 viewssaints__fan__73

Female boxing on 11:24 - Sep 3 by pjt50

Make it illegal to land a blow below the waist or above the neck? Seems weird that at the same time that football is restricting heading we're encouraging a sport where long-term damage is far more probable. Tbh I don't think it makes much difference whether it's men or women. Personally I'd ban both.

As someone who grew up watching Ali, it was desperately sad to see the way he ended up — even though he always said he'd do the same again.

A fighter who fights 2 or 3 times a year probably takes far less blows to the head than a CB who plays twice a week.

I guess if head shots in boxing, or boxing in general should be banned, then it would seem logical that heading the ball should be totally outlawed in football too?

Female boxing on 11:41 - Sep 3 with 1057 viewspjt50

Female boxing on 11:31 - Sep 3 by saints__fan__73

A fighter who fights 2 or 3 times a year probably takes far less blows to the head than a CB who plays twice a week.

I guess if head shots in boxing, or boxing in general should be banned, then it would seem logical that heading the ball should be totally outlawed in football too?

I saw some stat that Ali was hit about 200,000 times in his 61-fight career. They estimated that roughly half of those blows were to the head. That's an awful lot of headers.

Poll: Where do you hope to see Salisu start (OK, I know we haven't seen him yet)?

Female boxing on 11:43 - Sep 3 with 1049 viewssaints__fan__73

Female boxing on 11:41 - Sep 3 by pjt50

I saw some stat that Ali was hit about 200,000 times in his 61-fight career. They estimated that roughly half of those blows were to the head. That's an awful lot of headers.

Do you think? How many headers do you think a CB makes over a career? (including daily training sessions?)

If boxing is banned due to blows to the head there's no way heading football should not also be banned.

Female boxing on 12:23 - Sep 3 with 1033 viewspjt50

Female boxing on 11:43 - Sep 3 by saints__fan__73

Do you think? How many headers do you think a CB makes over a career? (including daily training sessions?)

If boxing is banned due to blows to the head there's no way heading football should not also be banned.

According to a study of 78 Premier League games last season, an individual player exceeded 20 headers in a game on only seven occasions. 27 in a game was the max (probably featured Burnley). Doubtful that an individual player could get to many more than 500 per season.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/nov/22/more-than-20-headers-per-game-c
[Post edited 3 Sep 2021 13:41]

Login to get fewer ads

Female boxing on 12:48 - Sep 3 with 1019 viewsSadoldgit

Female boxing on 11:03 - Sep 3 by Chesham_Saint

That’s the problem Ches. In a sport where the aim is to knock someone out or at the very least land lots of punches to the head, I don’t see how you can make it safe. I grew up watching Ali too and loved what he brought to the sport but pretty soon I realised that there was a big difference between a sporting personality and the actual sport. I understand that he said he would do the same again, but sometimes you have to save people from themselves. I hear lots of stories about how good it is for local kids to get involved etc, but can’t see anything noble about teaching people to hit others around the head and in the face. Whilst it makes perfect sense to investigate the effect of heading a football has on players, it makes more sense to take another look at the effect that boxing has on individuals.
Female boxing on 12:51 - Sep 3 with 1018 views1885_SFC

On the plus side - there's no chance of Jack Stephens having to worry about future heading concerns...

Old School is Cool

Female boxing on 14:08 - Sep 3 with 973 viewssaints__fan__73

Female boxing on 12:48 - Sep 3 by Sadoldgit

That’s the problem Ches. In a sport where the aim is to knock someone out or at the very least land lots of punches to the head, I don’t see how you can make it safe. I grew up watching Ali too and loved what he brought to the sport but pretty soon I realised that there was a big difference between a sporting personality and the actual sport. I understand that he said he would do the same again, but sometimes you have to save people from themselves. I hear lots of stories about how good it is for local kids to get involved etc, but can’t see anything noble about teaching people to hit others around the head and in the face. Whilst it makes perfect sense to investigate the effect of heading a football has on players, it makes more sense to take another look at the effect that boxing has on individuals.

and women doing sport is all just a bit unseemly anyway, yes?

Female boxing on 20:07 - Sep 3 with 863 viewsSadoldgit

Female boxing on 14:08 - Sep 3 by saints__fan__73

and women doing sport is all just a bit unseemly anyway, yes?

I wouldn’t say that, but certainly it seems wrong to watch two women beating the crap out of each other (not that two blokes pummelling each other is any better).
Female boxing on 08:17 - Sep 4 with 804 viewsNumber_58

Female boxing on 12:51 - Sep 3 by 1885_SFC

On the plus side - there's no chance of Jack Stephens having to worry about future heading concerns...

I used to love playing football when I was a nipper but I hated heading, mainly because the balls were rock hard back then. Being a defender this could be a bit of a problem so I developed a few cunning ploys, like always marking the tallest bloke in the other team at corners, or timing my run just right so I never quite got to the ball first. Maybe Jack's been studying some of my coaching videos.
Female boxing on 08:34 - Sep 4 with 798 viewsMattFinish

Female boxing on 10:40 - Sep 3 by saints__fan__73

I agree. Better they're in a disciplined sport rather than beating someone up and taking their wallet.

With regards to women boxing, I prefer women wrestling. Mud or gello I'm not fussy
Female boxing on 08:57 - Sep 4 with 780 viewsSadoldgit

Female boxing on 08:34 - Sep 4 by MattFinish

I agree. Better they're in a disciplined sport rather than beating someone up and taking their wallet.

With regards to women boxing, I prefer women wrestling. Mud or gello I'm not fussy

They are still beating people up and frankly I’d rather someone took my wallet than have other people brain damage.
Female boxing on 08:54 - Sep 5 with 667 viewsMattFinish

Female boxing on 08:57 - Sep 4 by Sadoldgit

They are still beating people up and frankly I’d rather someone took my wallet than have other people brain damage.

I take what you're saying SOG but banning boxing would just send it underground where there wouldn't be the medical care and it would be controlled by crime syndicates.
Then you'd have to ban heading in football, contact in rugby, bowling over arm in cricket, most martial arts etc. More people die due to drinking than die or get dementia due to boxing so then there's an argument to ban alcohol.
It's a tricky one as the idea of boxing is to cause temporary brain damage so it's obviously not good but it will never change. They have made it as safe as its going to be but inevitably people will die boxing or end up with dementia. However my grand dad's got early stages of dementia and he never headed a ball or boxed.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024