Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Premier League records... 14:47 - Jun 10 with 1886 viewsscottishjack

Some valid points in there...shame they had to mention Cardiff right at the end!

http://www.theguardian.com/football/when-saturday-comes-blog/2015/jun/10/can-we-
Premier League records... on 22:29 - Jun 10 with 1751 viewsAngelRangelQS

Whilst a lot of that is correct it's also fair to say that getting to and staying in the top flight nowadays is a far greater achievement than it once was.

Records are pretty meaningless anyway. So much has changed over the period of time football has been played then you aren't even really comparing like with like.

Strikers get more protection today than they used to but at the same time are playing against fitter defenders, more agile goalkeepers in many instances and are expected to contribute more to the team as a whole. I think it's a bit false to compare Rooney's England scoring record to that of Lineker and Charlton for instance.

When it comes to club records, I think that number of games is one that can be compared across generations but in terms of goal scorers, I doubt that Ivor Allchurch's record of 166 will ever be broken. In fact, I'd be amazed if anyone hits a century for us again. 25 goals for us over the course of 18 months or so and they'll be off like the rest of them.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024