Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dave Thomas is losing his sight 23:12 - Dec 1 with 9735 viewsbosh67

I didn't know about this but he's being assessed to get the aid of a guide dog after losing nearly all his peripheral vision to a severe glaucoma.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3341897/England-winger-Dave-Th

Best of luck Dave. Proper legend and still one of the coolest guys in football.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Dave Thomas is losing his sight on 23:34 - Dec 1 with 6925 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

He mentioned it in the last podcast too where he was a phone in guest.
Dave Thomas is losing his sight on 23:42 - Dec 1 with 6905 viewsJigsore

I didn't know we were sponsoring a dog. Well done rangers

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

Dave Thomas is losing his sight on 00:02 - Dec 2 with 6867 viewshamptonhillhoop

I went to my first rangers game in 1977 so just missed Thomas but saw him on one of those "days of our lives"programmes and he came across as a really genuine person. Having read that about his dad you can see where he gets it from. Good luck to him
Dave Thomas is losing his sight on 00:09 - Dec 2 with 6854 viewsSydneyRs

Dave Thomas is losing his sight on 23:34 - Dec 1 by BazzaInTheLoft

He mentioned it in the last podcast too where he was a phone in guest.

Listened to this on the way to work this morning. Was really good and Dave Thomas gave a great interview. I was sad to hear him mention this near the end of his segment but he was very much taking the "that's life' mentality.
Dave Thomas is losing his sight on 00:10 - Dec 2 with 6850 viewshoopstilidie

Broke my heart when he left us.
Is, was and always will be my idol.

Ringo Starr ate my hamper.
Poll: Yes or no?

Dave Thomas is losing his sight on 00:13 - Dec 2 with 6850 viewsHollowayRanger

my late dad had glaucoma had to have operations on both eyes they injected needles pieced into his eyes cut into his eyes took out the lenses cleaned them then put them back in and stitched the cuts shut

all while he was fully awake as they couldn't knock him out due to his damaged breathing/lungs

I get free eye tests every year as a result

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

Dave Thomas is losing his sight on 00:22 - Dec 2 with 6837 viewsted_hendrix

I christened my first son Dave Thomas for a reason, he was and always will be first on my QPR legends team sheet.
Best of luck to you Dave, best of luck.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Dave Thomas is losing his sight on 05:13 - Dec 2 with 6754 viewsisawqpratwcity

I remember an interview on an LFW thread about him several years ago. His disappointment about not winning the title was tangible; but not just for him, for QPR. A top bloke who appears to be taking life in his stride.

All the best to him.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Login to get fewer ads

Dave Thomas is losing his sight on 08:17 - Dec 2 with 6610 viewswombat

Dave Thomas is losing his sight on 05:13 - Dec 2 by isawqpratwcity

I remember an interview on an LFW thread about him several years ago. His disappointment about not winning the title was tangible; but not just for him, for QPR. A top bloke who appears to be taking life in his stride.

All the best to him.

one of my childhood heros

if the club are sponsoring a dog for a year how about getting something set up to help fund the rest of the training etc ?
id happliy stick something in on a reg basis to make sure dave gets the dog

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Dave Thomas is losing his sight on 08:22 - Dec 2 with 6600 viewsPommyhoop

A hero of my youth and it's because of him that my ''2nd team''( I know ,I know ) is Everton till this day ..

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Dave Thomas is losing his sight on 08:29 - Dec 2 with 6586 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Cried like a baby when he left us. To make me feel better my Mom - bless her - bought me an Everton school bag. That got thrown in the tide.

Had the pleasure of meeting him once. An utter gent. He seems to be as extraordinary a person as he was a footballer. And, judging by the story about his father, he didn't pick it from the ground either. Clearly a decent family.

Well done to Rangers, too.

Best of luck Dave. Always a legend.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Dave Thomas is losing his sight on 08:53 - Dec 2 with 6543 viewsCliff_Schitzinabag

Leicester away, THAT season. Got taken up there straight from school with my classmate who supported them for no reason whatsoever.

2nd half, Dave Thomas picks the ball up in the inside left position. Moves towards the left touch line and then switches back inside, takes two or three paces forward and WALLOP.

bloody Norwich, bloody wolves, bloody Liverpool, bloody FL etc etc
Dave Thomas is losing his sight on 09:04 - Dec 2 with 6527 viewsMonahoop

Sad news about Dave. A close second to Stan as my all time favourite player. What a brilliant winger he was! I had the pleasure of meeting him briefly at a game several years back, between Kingstonian and Bognor Regis where Dave was part of the Sussex sides coaching set up. Before my brief chat with him he was talking enthusiastically with the bloke before me in the queue about gardening, something I believe Dave had a passion for.

A super player and a nice person too. The very best of luck to him.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

Dave Thomas is losing his sight on 09:06 - Dec 2 with 6520 views2Thomas2Bowles

Go to 4.18 and 8

On me head son
[Post edited 2 Dec 2015 12:43]

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Dave Thomas is losing his sight on 09:59 - Dec 2 with 6441 viewsstevec

Finest winger we ever had. Always think of that Lampard tackle about 30 seconds into a game at West Ham, which seemed to hamper his career after that.

Always wanted to see another winger like him in the Hoops, Ian Stewart, Faraday, various others, but never likely to match Dave Thomas.

Best of luck to him.
Dave Thomas is losing his sight on 13:10 - Dec 2 with 6325 viewswombat

Dave Thomas is losing his sight on 09:59 - Dec 2 by stevec

Finest winger we ever had. Always think of that Lampard tackle about 30 seconds into a game at West Ham, which seemed to hamper his career after that.

Always wanted to see another winger like him in the Hoops, Ian Stewart, Faraday, various others, but never likely to match Dave Thomas.

Best of luck to him.

thing with him he was direct got the ball down he wing and crossed it , had pace as well , the way a winger should play

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Dave Thomas is losing his sight on 18:48 - Dec 2 with 6181 viewsM40R

Really bad news. Fantastic player and person.

Dave is on the official club site as he is trying to raise cash for for guide dogs. Let's try to get to his target.

http://www.qpr.co.uk/news/article/qpr-dave-thomas-guide-dogs-2827917.aspx
Dave Thomas is losing his sight on 19:25 - Dec 2 with 6141 viewsqprphil

Best of luck Dave, as a regular attendee back then it was a treat to watch him. Looking back what a fantastic side we had then, and I can see him belting up the wing, socks rolled down, bandy legs and all, truly one of the great QPR players of all time. Attacking, defending, he did it all. I am sure he has the guts to cope with this, you are a legend in my eyes.
Dave Thomas is losing his sight on 10:54 - Dec 3 with 5984 viewsnewgolddream

So sorry to hear this news. Great character and Rs legend.
Dave Thomas is losing his sight on 13:13 - Dec 3 with 5931 viewsCamberleyR

I believe I read somewhere as well that he only ever used to wear a moulded stud boot which considering the mudheaps in winter they played on back then is remarkable, he must have had phenomenal balance.

Brilliant, brilliant player who should have been capped many more times than the eight he managed.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Dave Thomas is losing his sight on 13:32 - Dec 3 with 5904 viewsjohnhoop

I'm hoping it's not my memory playing tricks on me but I have a strong recollection of Dave Thomas playing for Burnley against us at LR in what must have been about 1971.
He was actually playing as their midfield general at the age of about 21 and running the game from the base of their midfield. I remember being amazed by his talent before he even came to us.
My favourite coffee mug is the one from the club shop with the happy smiling photo of our five England players from around 1975- Gerry Francis, Stan Bowles, Dave Thomas, Phil Parkes and Ian Gillard. As a 65 year-old they are all around the same age as me. Now Stan has Alzheimers, Phil is battling cancer and Dave is losing his sight-really does ram home the fact of your own mortality. I was diagnosed with Glaucoma myself last year but fortunately it's nowhere near as bad as Dave's yet.
Dave Thomas is losing his sight on 13:40 - Dec 3 with 5890 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Dave Thomas is losing his sight on 13:32 - Dec 3 by johnhoop

I'm hoping it's not my memory playing tricks on me but I have a strong recollection of Dave Thomas playing for Burnley against us at LR in what must have been about 1971.
He was actually playing as their midfield general at the age of about 21 and running the game from the base of their midfield. I remember being amazed by his talent before he even came to us.
My favourite coffee mug is the one from the club shop with the happy smiling photo of our five England players from around 1975- Gerry Francis, Stan Bowles, Dave Thomas, Phil Parkes and Ian Gillard. As a 65 year-old they are all around the same age as me. Now Stan has Alzheimers, Phil is battling cancer and Dave is losing his sight-really does ram home the fact of your own mortality. I was diagnosed with Glaucoma myself last year but fortunately it's nowhere near as bad as Dave's yet.

Best of luck to you, John.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Dave Thomas is losing his sight on 13:54 - Dec 3 with 5878 viewsjohnhoop

Dave Thomas is losing his sight on 13:40 - Dec 3 by BrianMcCarthy

Best of luck to you, John.

Thanks Brian, that's good of you. Fortunately at the moment I've still got good sight in my left eye so I can still function pretty much normally and the drops they give you to put in every night are supposed to stabilize it and prevent it getting much worse. I'm really lucky compared to someone in Dave's position but he seems like the sort of person who just accepts things for what they are makes the best of the situation.
As a retired teacher it made me admire him even more when I read he'd become a P.E teacher after retiring from football-can you actually imagine any of today's crop of footballers doing that?
Dave Thomas is losing his sight on 15:52 - Dec 3 with 5837 viewsDiscodroids

Dave Thomas is losing his sight on 09:06 - Dec 2 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Go to 4.18 and 8

On me head son
[Post edited 2 Dec 2015 12:43]

Quite Wonderful.

Thanks for putting that up.

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Dave Thomas is losing his sight on 16:36 - Dec 3 with 5812 views2Thomas2Bowles

Dave Thomas is losing his sight on 15:52 - Dec 3 by Discodroids

Quite Wonderful.

Thanks for putting that up.

I was at that game and very pissed off as wanted him to be playing the whole match but when he came on he really did show his class and was wonderful to see.

As others have said, one of the best wingers and as in the commentary said one of the best crossers of the ball. and he proved it

Legend
[Post edited 3 Dec 2015 16:57]

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024