Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If we're going to sign another defender... 09:12 - Aug 10 with 1354 viewsAussieSwan

Where should we look to strengthen?

With Williams gone it wouldn't surprise me if another defender comes in to boost our stocks, but I don't think it'd be a "big money" signing. The Williams sale does give us a few options, however.

Do we go in with Amat and Fernandez as our starting CB pairing, or do we look to upgrade? Or should we do away with it altogether and sign a RB to replace Rangel / Naughton?

If we're going to sign another defender...

Your Vote:

You need to be logged in to vote on our site polls

[Post edited 10 Aug 2016 9:26]

Poll: If we're going to sign another defender...

If we're going to sign another defender... on 09:21 - Aug 10 with 1325 viewsWhiterockin

Depends what system FG wants to play this season. If its three at the back we need another center back and not a right back. I think we are OK with Kingsley and Taylor at left back whatever system we play.

I thought that the pitch looked wider on Saturday. Could this give a clue to the set up for the season.
If we're going to sign another defender... on 09:29 - Aug 10 with 1301 viewsEasternJack

This one I'd like to wait until we go through a couple of games.

I think we need another centre back, however whether it's a 1st choice or not depends on the first few matches. Amat and Fede were good enough at the end of the last season. On the last friendly showing, VDH needs some time to gel. After that, there seems to be a steep drop off in depth unless there's a gem waiting in the youth that can give us a reliable 1-5 matches as cover this year.

On the full backs, we have the building blocks in Taylor, Naughton & Kingsley - it's all about whether FG can get them to step up. Rangel is purely there as a back up.

Poll: Hull vs Middlesborough - What do we want?

If we're going to sign another defender... on 10:10 - Aug 10 with 1230 viewscrix

If we're going to sign another defender... on 09:29 - Aug 10 by EasternJack

This one I'd like to wait until we go through a couple of games.

I think we need another centre back, however whether it's a 1st choice or not depends on the first few matches. Amat and Fede were good enough at the end of the last season. On the last friendly showing, VDH needs some time to gel. After that, there seems to be a steep drop off in depth unless there's a gem waiting in the youth that can give us a reliable 1-5 matches as cover this year.

On the full backs, we have the building blocks in Taylor, Naughton & Kingsley - it's all about whether FG can get them to step up. Rangel is purely there as a back up.

pretty much agree with this.

we do definitely need another centre back be it cover or whatever as we could be screwed if we get injuries/ suspensions if we don't have 4 of them.
as for fullbacks as much as I think naughton and tays (with kingsley and rangel) arnt brilliant I do think we are going to struggle to buy anyone who is actually better and for the type of money we would be prepared to spend. add to that the fact I don't like changing the entire make up of the defence in one summer. 1 change per transfer window is enough for me so we keep some continuity. yes I know amat (who we expect to step up now) is very familiar with how we play, its still going to be a whole new thing for our defence to not have ash there. brain fart prone or not the guy was pretty much the backbone of our defence so they need to adapt to life without him pretty dam quickly. anyway I think the fact they gave rangel another year sort of says we arnt getting a rb this year, so I assume next summer we will do that.
[Post edited 10 Aug 2016 11:16]
If we're going to sign another defender... on 13:58 - Aug 10 with 1054 viewsrobbiejames86

Knowing How's penchant for old boys, wouldn't be surprised if Bony and Caulker rolled up waving their wads of money they made since leaving?
If we're going to sign another defender... on 16:59 - Aug 10 with 883 viewsdeanscfc

Both a centre back and full back. Ideally a full back that can play both sides. I'm more worried about playing with Taylor than Rangel/Naughton. With these big front men coming in it's more important than ever that we have someone who can also move forward and cross a ball.
If we're going to sign another defender... on 17:05 - Aug 10 with 838 viewsBoundy

If we're going to sign another defender... on 09:21 - Aug 10 by Whiterockin

Depends what system FG wants to play this season. If its three at the back we need another center back and not a right back. I think we are OK with Kingsley and Taylor at left back whatever system we play.

I thought that the pitch looked wider on Saturday. Could this give a clue to the set up for the season.

I thought it looked narrower , from the East stand that is .

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

If we're going to sign another defender... on 12:23 - Aug 14 with 514 viewsAussieSwan

So, has the Burnley match changed people's opinions?
I haven't watched it myself but interesting to see Naughton starting ahead of Rangel, so I think the idea of a new RB is unlikely to happen (rightly or wrongly)

Poll: If we're going to sign another defender...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024